Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Photopolymer Stamps - SU vs Other Companies

I've been an SU demo for 9+ years (soon will be dropping) and have purchased many photopolymer stamps. However, I find that I don't get a great image with most of them. Words seem to be the best, but I've even had some that miss...thank goodness for MISTI!

So my question is this...do other company's photopolymer stamps stamp the same or better then SU? Would love any insight before I continue to purchase outside of SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't have any photopolymer stamps from SU, but I get excellent impressions from all these companies:

Papertrey Ink, Concord & 9th, Altenew, W+9, Hero Arts, Mama Elephant, Avery Elle, Kitchen Sink Stamps.

I know there are many others out there, but these are the ones I've used.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a hobby demo and to be honest I've had several of the SU stamps have to be replaced because the image was not deep enough. I don't have that problem with other PP stamps unless they are really cheap.

Personally, I've decided to try not to buy any more PP because I just don't feel they will last like good ol' red rubber. I miss out on some really cute stamps and sometimes I just give in knowing that it probably won't be around in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, they are all splotchy at first. I will usually stamp off a few images on scratch paper first. Or stamp the (uninked) stamp on my skin a couple of times-- seems the ink has something to grab then. Some people go over the stamp with an eraser or fine grit sandpaper. Some people prime their clear stamps with Stazon.

Part of the problem can be ink. I don't love SU's ink on photopolymer, from any company. I have that watercolor card kit and the ink from the inkspots just beads right up on those stamps. Something like versafine works much, much better.

Ultimately, there are ways to adapt and cope, but I have not found any company's clear stamps to give me perfectly crisp, clean impressions with any ink I choose straight out of the package.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

If you are using SU inks with photopolymer stamps, you will probably get uneven results. I tried both old and new formulas, and eventually gave up. I sold off all my SU inks in favor of Papertrey Ink's ink pads. I get much better coverage now. And my all-time favorite ink for sentiments in Versafine Onyx. Your paper/card stock probably makes a difference, too. You may want to try some inks and card stock from other companies to compare. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Nothing beats good ol' rubber for crispness and longevity, IMO. I have rubber stamps that are 40 years old and they still stamp beautifully.

I have some photopolymer stamps (both expensive and dollar bin) and, in general, they do not give as crisp an image as rubber. As for longevity, I doubt they have the staying power of rubber. I don't have anything scientific to back that up; it's just a hunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I would agree that rubber stamps better, and it will always be my preference. As for clear, Penny Black haven't been mentioned yet. I have several of their clear sets and always get good results.
But....I was very disappointed to find, last year, that my 12 Days of Christmas set was starting to stick to the backing sheet and I had trouble peeling them off. It's the only set I've had a problem with, though, and I have at least two sets that are a couple of years older and they are fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lots of both kinds of stamps and I prefer the PP because who cares if they last years and years, I like the price of the PP much better. I have many of the Power Poppy sets and no trouble with those, I use Memento inks to stamp almost all of the time because I use copic markers to color. If you are having trouble with them try washing them with some dish soap and dry them, it also helps if they are not sticking to the backing paper. I haven't tried any of the Stampin up ones or their inks. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for your valuable insight...I agree that rubber is the best, but there are times that I really love a set and find that it's photopolymer, so I back off. Now, I'll give other companies a try. As for ink, I have recently added to my Distress Inks and how have all the colors. Love, love, love the color palette, so I'll be trying that ink out with the photopolymer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbee1556View Post
Thank you all for your valuable insight...I agree that rubber is the best, but there are times that I really love a set and find that it's photopolymer, so I back off. Now, I'll give other companies a try. As for ink, I have recently added to my Distress Inks and how have all the colors. Love, love, love the color palette, so I'll be trying that ink out with the photopolymer.
Distress inks almost never give crisp results with photopolymer - too juicy or something, just so you know. I still use them if it's not going to matter much, but I know that the edges will "bleed out" a teensy bit every time...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I would agree that rubber stamps better, and it will always be my preference. As for clear, Penny Black haven't been mentioned yet. I have several of their clear sets and always get good results.
But....I was very disappointed to find, last year, that my 12 Days of Christmas set was starting to stick to the backing sheet and I had trouble peeling them off. It's the only set I've had a problem with, though, and I have at least two sets that are a couple of years older and they are fine.
They may have changed what the backing sheets are made of, and now they are something that interacts with the photopolymer and fuses to the stamps. You might want to consider moving them to something safer before they fuse permanently. I had that starting to happen with my "Clearly In Love" set, and tore pieces of the back of the stamp off when I removed them. Still usable, but not as pretty. ALL of my stamps are on laminated cards now, just to be safe. Duralar is what a lot of other people use. I'm sure that you've seen the threads in Mission Organization...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
They may have changed what the backing sheets are made of, and now they are something that interacts with the photopolymer and fuses to the stamps. You might want to consider moving them to something safer before they fuse permanently. I had that starting to happen with my "Clearly In Love" set, and tore pieces of the back of the stamp off when I removed them. Still usable, but not as pretty. ALL of my stamps are on laminated cards now, just to be safe. Duralar is what a lot of other people use. I'm sure that you've seen the threads in Mission Organization...
I did see those threads, Sue, yes. And I put some Duralar into my Amazon wishlist - but the price, given the exchange rate, is not practicable. It's cheaper as a unit cost if I get it from the US but then there are tax and import charges, and from the UK the price is more than I spent on the stamps in the first place. I just think it's weird that that was the only set it happened to, all stored in the same conditions. It's put me off buying any more, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I did see those threads, Sue, yes. And I put some Duralar into my Amazon wishlist - but the price, given the exchange rate, is not practicable. It's cheaper as a unit cost if I get it from the US but then there are tax and import charges, and from the UK the price is more than I spent on the stamps in the first place. I just think it's weird that that was the only set it happened to, all stored in the same conditions. It's put me off buying any more, though.
Same here - Clearly in Love is the only set that had issues. A mystery, to be sure... It's unfortunate that it's put you off buying any more PB stamps - they have such great images! I sent you a pm...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I'm a hobby demo and to be honest I've had several of the SU stamps have to be replaced because the image was not deep enough. I don't have that problem with other PP stamps unless they are really cheap.

Personally, I've decided to try not to buy any more PP because I just don't feel they will last like good ol' red rubber. I miss out on some really cute stamps and sometimes I just give in knowing that it probably won't be around in 10 years.
I have a bunch of photopolymer stamps that are going on 11 years now and work as well as they did when I first got them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I too have trouble getting a clean crisp image from SU poly. stamps. I buy from PTI and their stamps give me a clean image. Not sure what the difference is. The PTI stamps don't stain as bad as the SU stamps do either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every company's PP stamps seem to be a bit different from other companies. Lately, I am finding that my new PP's are much more sticky and floppy than stamps I bought a few years ago. There's clearly more than one kind of photopolymer.

No, PPs don't last as well as rubber. Yes, they fuse to the panel if you don't use them for a while. Yes, it's hard to get a good image with a PP that has lots of solid bits. I will always opt for rubber over PP, but I'll also always opt for the images I want, and now that so many of the new companies are PP only, there's really no way to stay with all rubber.

Of course, there's Stampotique. They still do only red rubber on wood, and won't countenance doing anything else. I know because I wrote and asked them if they might offer bare rubber at least. But no. They will not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I have never had a problem, yet, with SU PP stamps. You are to stamp on a foam pad with SU PP stamps. Do you use one??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I have never had a problem, yet, with SU PP stamps. You are to stamp on a foam pad with SU PP stamps. Do you use one??
I will give that a try! Thanks!! And I do use them I just tend to get a better image with their clear/solid stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Your answer might be Versafine ink. I have found that I can get good results even with the cheap acrylic stamps when I use Versafine.

I have noticed by the smell and look of the photopolymer stamps that it is clear that there are some that are made by the same manufacturers, but I haven't been able to put my finger on which are better. I agree that some are not etched quite deeply enough. I do not have any SU photopolymer, but I have a lot from many other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I do. It's even SU's foam mat. It helps some, but still doesn't always result in the best of images, particularly with newer stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 03:55 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heidi - didn't even think to suggest it, but you are right, there's pretty much no stamp that won't ink well using Versafine.

Versafine! I love it so much. I only wish they made more colors. Definitely my go-to black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 04:29 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't had trouble with SU pp stamps, but SU ink on the other hand almost never comes out well on clear stamps for me. I tend to use PTI, Altenew, or Colorbox--and love Versafine Black. One trick I read on these forums that has helped immensely is to lightly tap my clear stamp with Versamark--especially for solid stamps--before inking up with color. The stickiness of the Versamark helps give the ink something to cling to. As for clear stamps that give great impressions, I'd say PTI, Altenew, Simon Says Stamp, Penny Black, and Anna Griffin are often my go-to's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

One more trick that bears repeating: before inking your stamp, rub your thumb completely over the stamp and then ink. The natural oils in your hand will help the ink to adhere better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
Nothing beats good ol' rubber for crispness and longevity, IMO. I have rubber stamps that are 40 years old and they still stamp beautifully.

I have some photopolymer stamps (both expensive and dollar bin) and, in general, they do not give as crisp an image as rubber. As for longevity, I doubt they have the staying power of rubber. I don't have anything scientific to back that up; it's just a hunch.
I feel EXACTLY the same way!
I'll buy acrylic & photopolymer only if it's dirt cheap or a must-have image or sentiment that I can't get in rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 10:44 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love PP stamps myself, only because it's so easy to place them on a card. I have had success with the Penny Black ones and also some Close to my Heart ones, though they don't have as many images I like. My homemade Misti helps tons with the PP stamps I have that do give me fits with not stamping well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

If the stamps are true photopolymer, you will be able to tell by the smell when you open them. 99% of the stamps I use are photopolymer.

I just received some of the new formula SU pads about a month ago. I was using a solid photopolymer stamp and the new SU inks.; I was truly AMAZED with the coverage of the SU inks. I've been stamping a long time. It takes a lot these days to amaze me.
Reply With Quote Likes