Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Glimmer ink pad

Hi there I am looking for a glimmer ink PAD. Not mist, which is all I can seem to find...and I am not sure I am really looking for silver either. I am going to be using it for snowflakes with the CTMH Snow Flurries stamp (I think there are two...this is the D1384 set)

I would love to find a shimmery light light blue or a silvery with maybe pink/purple/blue specs in it...something like that. Something that would make good snowflake ink. Is there such a thing?

I am not planning on embossing or anything...just stamping. Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought about the new SU Illuminate Glimmer Watermark Ink? I haven't seen it in person, but I've seen some pretty cards showing up in the gallery made with it. It is subtle like Versamark, but with glimmer. Here's a link to samples in the gallery made with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only shimmery ink I can think of is Tsukineko's Brilliance pearlescent inks. Blue Ice, Platinum Planet, Starlight Silver, Moonlight White would be nice for snowflakes.

As far as flecks of color in your snowflake, I think an embossing powder is the only way to achieve that effect. Even then you might have to custom mix a couple of EPs to get the color combo you like.

If SU's Illuminate Glimmer Watermark ink is the same as Versamark Frost, I think you could find threads here that express disappointment in it. I know I'm very disappointed in what my pad stamps versus the sample stamping I saw at the stamp show when I bought it. I just found a reinker for it at a stamp show & hope that will improve my opinion of it as that sample stamping was lovely on dark cardstock. My pad provides a subtle shimmer when used for the resist technique on white glossy cardstock.

Maybe you could add some shimmer to a snowflake by overstamping a colored stamping with the Glimmer Watermark or Versarmark Frost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks ladies. I am trying to stay away from embossing because there is going to be so much time put into coloring in the snowman that I am not sure I can pull it off. I looked at some powder shimmery something from Tim Holtz but I don't know how messy it is; I am going to try and find out exactly what it's called and see if there are any videos out there showing it being used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tsukineko also makes a Frost and Dazzle shimmer pads...I have seen them at JoAnn's where you could use a coupon...I had them both and they are faint and best use on darker colors...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks, kphorse...I watched a video earlier of someone using the shimmer pads on black and it looked great but that is not really what I had envisioned for this particular card :( Almost wondering if I will end up embossing anyway and just work harder to get them all finished in time for Christmas. I am going to play around a little with silver ink and see how it looks...I was wanting to use Cool Caribbean as my background color but now wondering if the silver would look better on a darker blue...Thanks again for the ideas ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you thought about stamping with the white shimmer paint from SU!? That's a really pretty look. You could also use the silver or champagne.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimmer?

What about using a glue pad and some glitter? Sometimes I forget about my unloved glue pad!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
What about using a glue pad and some glitter? Sometimes I forget about my unloved glue pad!

Jutta
I was thinking just that! I wonder...I have a small jar of dazzling diamonds, I wonder if it would work that way? I have never used it! How sad is that?!?!?! I saw it once on a card, listed as one of the "ingredients" in it but I never learned how to use it. Off to You Tube.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

The dazzle diamonds is a beautiful option that can be applied with a two-way glue pen which will allow you to put where you want it and it stay.
I just watch a video where someone did a faux diamond dust technique. She stamped and colored her snowman image and then cover the piece with versamark and sprinkle heat and stick (heat and stick is like embossing; apply the heat/stick, heat with embossing tool, apply the dazzle diamonds and then heat again to set). It might be too much since you we're trying to avoid embossing but I have to admit it looked stunning and something I'm considering for my cards.
The brilliance inks are pretty and will work depending on the exact look you want...lots of colors so options.
I hope you find what you are looking for...good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

How about stamping with the Close to my Heart Create-a-shade pearl paint? It's acrylic paint that would stamp beautiful snowflakes, and you just have to remember to clean your stamp when you're done. Looks great on dark cardstock, too!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4stampinView Post
How about stamping with the Close to my Heart Create-a-shade pearl paint? It's acrylic paint that would stamp beautiful snowflakes, and you just have to remember to clean your stamp when you're done. Looks great on dark cardstock, too!

Anne
I am not familiar with this...I went to trusty Google...this is pretty cool! I was hoping to find a video but could not (I will keep looking!). I am Googling my little heart out right now trying to find something that I think will work. Dontcha just hate when you have a vision but can't quite figure out how to make it happen? I am determined though...I will find something, I am certain of it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE SU!'s Illuminate ink pad. Here's a video I did comparing it to VersaMark - hope it helps:
Illuminate Glimmer Watermark Stampin' Pad: Tool Time Thursday #14 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just did a blog post with a project using the shimmer paint and comparing it to the illuminate watermark pad:
3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Fancy favor baby bag

Here is another project I did using the illuminate watermark pad:
3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Ghouls are all AROUND!!!!!

There are several other projects on my blog using the illuminate pad, I really do love this ink pad.
HThs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

The "powder shimmery something" you mention might be Perfect Pearls. If you go to Tim Holtz's blog and click on the tutorial tab you should find a video or two where he demos how to use it. You could probably find the Tim videos on YouTube as well.

I used SU's version of this years ago and didn't care for it because it was messy and needed a sealer of some kind to keep from rubbing off. Supposedly the "Perfect Pearls" brand that Tim demos has it's own sealer built right in so once it's dry it will stay put.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I really like Perfect Pearls. You can stamp with Versamark and then brush it on. It does need water to seal so I usually do a little spritz of water in the air and then wave it through like you might do with perfume. Jennifer McGuire has some tutorials too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

thanks for the tutorial. I really needed that
Reply With Quote Likes