Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cards for the Troops - need opinions

Our office is going to do up a big box of items to send to the troops in May ( in observance of Memorial Day I guess). They want me to make cards. So, ok.

Do I make cards for them ( the troops) to send to others? Or do I make cards for us to sign and send to them? I also have a nice military themed sheet of stamps - do I try to incorporate that onto a card? I'm really at a loss here. I don't know ANYBODY that is in the service - much less in the middle east. So, if I would make cards for them to send to somebody, do they really have time to do that? - I'm thinking they don't. They have access to email over there don't they> On the other hand, if I make cards that we sign for them - do they really want homemade cards from a bunch of ladies they don't even know?

I'm flattered that my office like my cards well enough to ask me to include some in the box - I just don't know which way to go with it.

I know alot of you ladies do send cards to the troops - could you give me some pointers or advice please??? I don't even know what kind of sentiments would be appropriate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Why not do both? The troops need to know that they are appreciated for the sacrifices they are making. Anniversary cards for them to send to their sweetie back here would probably be appreciated on one end or the other. Just a thought...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Operation Write Home is an organization that collects handmade cards for service people overseas to send back to their loved ones - and yes, there is a demand for that sort of thing! If you visit their website, the home page has a list of suggested themes as well as a list of reasons for NO GLITTER! You can ignore the tip regarding size A2 cards being preferred; that's specifically for Operation Write Home (that's the size that makes most efficient use of the space in the boxes they use for shipping).

The themes they suggest are thinking of you, birthdays, miss you, love you - that sort of thing. Those types of cards can be used any time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have 5 nephews currently serving in various locations and we send care packages often.

Both would appropriate. Send a card, perhaps signed by the whole office, and as an added bonus, a MASCULINE (unless it is for a female soldier) note card set for them to send notes home. Also remember, that the women soldiers are often forgotten. A feminine care package would do wonders for a female soldier (include lotion, body spray, femine products etc)

FYI, I dont think you can do "To any Soldier" any longer due to security concerns for bombs. You would need the name of a specific soldier to send to. I believe there is a site out there that will match you with soliders who don't have family members to write them and are looking for pen pals/mail.

There are also sites that make up approved items you select from their site to send appropriately.

Keep in mind, there are lots of rules as to what and what cannot go to certain destinations. No more than one of any religious item. No nude magazines (or even swimsuit editions or even Vogue or Elle) if going to ME. No pork products like jerky. No alcohol.

More info here:
http://www.anysoldier.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethshayaView Post

P.S. You can search that site for soldiers to send to and what they are specifically asking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

As a veteran AND a spouse of a current active duty member, I agree, both types of cards are needed and appreciated. Anysoldier.com is a WONDERFUL site. And you can search by state, so you could find someone from your area to support.

Don't underestimate how much "guys" and "kids" do appreciate cards from a "bunch of ladies they don't know" Some military members receive NO mail (really!) so it's nice to receive mail from anyone. You might even encourage any children you know to draw pictures and make cards. Those were always the biggest hits with my unit. Kids' cards make you laugh and smile with no "pressure". Folks often hang kids' pictures up in their work areas and bunk areas.

Thanks for supporting our troops. You'll never know how much it will mean to the folks who receive your box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU - to every single one of you! I feel much more enthusiastic about this now. I'm going to check out those web sites, and I'm also going to print out this whole thread and take it into work. There's alot of good suggestions and we can mull it all over and hopefully come up with something very nice.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think cards for them to send back are appreciated. I have sent boxes of blank cards over and have always gotten back a big thank you for the cards. I think "missing you" , I love you type cards would be a hit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Our office is going to do up a big box of items to send to the troops in May ( in observance of Memorial Day I guess). They want me to make cards. So, ok.

Do I make cards for them ( the troops) to send to others? Or do I make cards for us to sign and send to them?

entirely up to you.. BOTH would be appreciated/loved. you are correct that in country they have little opportunity to go shopping, and lets just say the card selection at the FOBs suck royally.

now since you said your office is doing this for Memorial day, perhaps the intent is to honor them, so in that case sending Thank you/thinking of you cards to the troops themselves would be more appropriate. in that case, by all means use your patriotic stamps.

just no glitter. we may love it, but it is not safe for them to get it all over their stuff.

and no they won't care they are from perfect strangers.. those mean more actually. family HAS to tell they they love them and miss them.. but having a random person say" hey,I appreciate the fact that you are doing this so I can sleep soundly at night" means more.

keep the sentiments light/cute. I have been advised to not get too spiritual/scriptural since you don't know what religious affiliation the recipient may be.

If you choose to send cards for them to send back home, either try and meet an upcoming demand.. such as Father's day or a holiday further out like Hallowe'en or Thanksgiving. and of course general missing you cards are always a hit.. don't forget the kiddy oriented ones too.. kids love getting mail from Mom in a combat zone.

I actually gotta get started on my next batch.. DH is on a plane in about an hour.... he'll be gone 2 years....at least he won't be in a combat zone the entire time....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

My office adopts a troop every holiday season. I create a card for each one of the soldiers that everyone signs. I've also donated cards to the programs noted above for soldiers to have cards to send home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I send all mine blank inside for them to send home. I get some really heart touching thank yous back from them. This is such a great project.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

It's a wonderful project. I would make all sorts of projects, but lots of projects for soldiers to use to send to their families as well as to use to for each other.

Holley
a new project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes