Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your LSS child friendly?

After reading a post on Versamom's blog about her LSS giving her DD a gift bag during an anniversary celebration makes me wonder is your store child friendly.

Guess I should clarify, I am not only meaning toddlers (I know they can make messes in paper) but I mean older kids too.

I have a 13-year-old daughter and my store is even rude to her at times. I refuse to take my boys, ages 9 & 11 in there, as they will almost follow them around like they are shoplifters or something. I don't know if it has to do with the merchandise or the fact that storeowner has no kids and doesn't really seem to be a kid type person. I really would prefer not to shop there for the fact of it is a pain to go without my kids and I really don't appreciate the way they treat the kids, but it is the only store in town.

Are most stores this way and I am just being too picky?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Wow, that's really awful. I don't have kids but I can tell you that most of the LSS' (scrapbooking) I've been to have little designated play areas for kids (some even with a TV).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Mine is a little store with a lot of merchandise, so it can be hard to move around. That being said they do have a little loveseat and TV for kids to hang out while mom shops. I've seen older kids in shopping with their families and the employees treated them like any other customers, with friendliness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I know the owner of my LSS and she has kids. I have never had a problem taking my kids in there. However we have a bead shop in town that sell some stamps and the lady in there does not like kids. I have a friend who had a run in with here because my friend's 4 year old son tried to pet her dog (who has the run of the place). I only go in this store when I don't have my kids with me - which is almost never so too bad for her.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I daren't take my toddlers in a craft store as they love delving into my supplies at home so would probably think they could do the same!! I do take my 11 yr old son sometimes, and he likes browsing with me as he likes to craft with me sometimes too. However, we do sometimes suffer from frosty glares from the assistants and I end up repeating "Don't touch" like a mantra :(

My blog : www.mum-on-the-run.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

If you are the owner of a LSS you should be kid friendly. I know lots of people scrapbook, but I'd bet good money that most of their customers scrapbook for their kids and that moms make up most of their business. If you can't be child friendly, you might want to have a different kind of business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

The LSS I frequent ( lol, over-frequent) has a little play area up front with a table and chairs and some toys, and she constantly prints off coloring pages for the kids....my almost 4 y/o dd even knows what drawer she keeps them in and helps herself. VERY kid friendly.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

My LSS has a designated 'DH & kid room' w/snacks, magazines & a t.v. - so it's very kid and DH friendly!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

My LSS (stamps..no scrapbooking) really aren't keen on kids. Its on a historical square with antique shops and cafes...so at times they have parades and different stuff going on at the square.....they will close their store cause they don't want the kids in there with drinks,etc. I can't blame them. Its a nice store with a ton of stuff..if mom is concentrating on stamps she probably isn't watching her kids. I don't think they would have a problem with the older ones though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whew!! Is it ever!! Don't get me wrong. I am the mother of 2, who are older now. The last time I went into my LSS, the owner had her two toddlers in there and they were making such a ruckus, playing and all, up and down the isles that it was very unpleasant to shop. I do think every store, except maybe one with crystal or china should be kid friendly but "come on!" keep the noise down to a dull roar, huh?!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

My LSS is not even customer friendly. They are so rude there. I hate to even go in. Never tried it with the kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappinessView Post
My LSS is not even customer friendly. They are so rude there. I hate to even go in. Never tried it with the kids.

WOW - that's a bummer! :-( Sorry to hear that. I love going to my LSS, it makes me happy!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnekView Post
WOW - that's a bummer! :-( Sorry to hear that. I love going to my LSS, it makes me happy!

Anne
It really is a bummer. I thought about writing a letter to the manager before, but she's the rudest one so I don't suppose it will do any good. They are the only store on this side of town and it's a big, beautiful, well stocked store. I guess they figure they can do whatever they want. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LSS is super friendly...in fact one of the employees has her 6 month old there on many days. They have a back little room with toys, a TV, etc. and it has a half door on it. It is kid friendly, and they even offer some classes for older kids!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

My LSS (stamps) is kid friendly! They have a small play area up front. I took DD a couple times- she didn't play in the designated area, she liked pulling down all the stamps... They were very nice about that, but I decided that I should probly go alone for a few years. That way I could actually concentrate on what I was buying! But yes, they are very nice.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

It really is a bummer. I thought about writing a letter to the manager before, but she's the rudest one so I don't suppose it will do any good. They are the only store on this side of town and it's a big, beautiful, well stocked store. I guess they figure they can do whatever they want. :confused:
That's really a shame. Could you contact the owner - or are they just as bad too? I don't think I could be rude if I worked in an LSS - I'd be in heaven!

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Default My LSS

My LSS is kid friendly with toys. They are even having a kids stamp camp this summer. They are making cool stuff!!! LSS SHOULD be kid friendly. Moms and grandmas make up a lot of their customers.

Too bad for the rude ones...I would frequent ONLINE stores over rude shop owners.

Check out my blog:
http://addictedtostamping.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I don't have a LSS, wish I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Mine is very kid friendly, even to the little ones. She has children and grandchildren and is a peach to deal with. She has a little section set up at the back of the store with toys for kids to play with while the moms shop. They don't allow them (little ones) at crops and things like that, but she would definately allow a 13yr old to participate if they were paying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Both of the ones I frequent are kid friendly which is definitely a good thing.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I would LOVE a LSS with a play area. And a TV, couch, etc...wow! Some of you sure are lucky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #22  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvscrapmomView Post
After reading a post on Versamom's blog about her LSS giving her DD a gift bag during an anniversary celebration makes me wonder is your store child friendly.

Guess I should clarify, I am not only meaning toddlers (I know they can make messes in paper) but I mean older kids too.

I have a 13-year-old daughter and my store is even rude to her at times. I refuse to take my boys, ages 9 & 11 in there, as they will almost follow them around like they are shoplifters or something. I don't know if it has to do with the merchandise or the fact that storeowner has no kids and doesn't really seem to be a kid type person. I really would prefer not to shop there for the fact of it is a pain to go without my kids and I really don't appreciate the way they treat the kids, but it is the only store in town.

Are most stores this way and I am just being too picky?
I don't have kids but my LSS is definitely kid-friendly (her two girls are on the "staff" page of the store's website). I've been there many times when other customers are shopping with kids of all ages and the parents are always concerned about their kids and the owner is very reassuring that the kids are just fine!

But the main reason I am commenting is that a LSS about 40 minutes away treated me the same way your LSS treated your sons ... needless to say I have not been there ever again (although at that visit I signed up for one of their off-site crops --- another thing I won't do again as the "known" stampers were obviously pampered to by the owners and the rest of us were ignored.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

My LSS has a little tv/dvd for the kids to watch in an out of the way area. I think that's nice. I was actually just thinking to myself the other day that if more stores in general were kid friendly, I would visit them more.

That being said, my 2 1/2 DD is NOT shopping friendly (she must get that from her father), so I rarely take her to my LSS (or any store). I used to work retail and I hated having unruly children in my store. I was NEVER rude. But I hated cleaning up after some little tyrant had his temper tantrum and pulled all my stock off the shelves.

I always told myself "when I grow up ;) I'm not going to let my kids do that." and for the most part I don't.

Sorry if I hijacked.
:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

LOL!
Sorry the store staffare so rude, but this cracked me up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

we have one scrapbook store here in town that is very kid friendly. There is a play area set up and the have kids scrapbooking classes. There, however, are a couple that aren't very kid friendly - most likely due to the small size

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry to hear about your experience. There is no excuse for rudeness! That being said, I used to work in a LLS and we actually had worse problems with the older kids than the younger ones. The younger ones might tear off a sticker or crumple a piece of paper but the Mom's were usually watching them so that was kept to a minimum. The older kids were often not being supervised by their shopping parent and if we didn't watch them they would open pens and write on the fixtures (not very nice words either), one of them opened a bottle of glue & dumped it on the carpet and we suspected several of shoplifting. Your store owner has probably had similar experiences. These experiences don't justify her rudeness but I thought it might help if you had a glimpse of her perspective.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnekView Post
My LSS has a designated 'DH & kid room' w/snacks, magazines & a t.v. - so it's very kid and DH friendly!

Anne
Aww man now THAT is what my LSS needs!! I rarely do any shopping with my kids but go with my DH fairly often (he's my designated driver ;)) and it would be AWESOME if my LSS had a set-up for the hubby's!!! They have a kid's play area which is cool - I love it when LSS's have that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I've also had a bad experience with the owner being rude. I can't believe that she doesn't realize that we talk to each other about both good and bad experiences.
I do my shopping elsewhere now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #29  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

LOL - I have to admit that I'm a bit clumsy and though I always pick up things I knock over/off shelves, I'm sure sometimes they'd like to ban me. I ususally buy more than my fair share so they tolerate me.

I don't have kids but I know my LSS has a rule that on make-and-take nights, no children under 10 are allowed. The store is small and cramped and there's hardly enough time for adults to get the projects done so I appreciate it personally, but I would also be fine with well-behaved children. Since that well-behaved is quite subjective I understand why they made the rule. Most people I see in there simply don't bring young children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I totally LOVE this post/thread.

Do you want to know something??? I switched from regular scrapping to digital scrapping over my LSS's treatment of younger children.

I have a 2 and 4 year old. I have only been in my LSS once with one of them and it was an in and out thing - no troubles.

But once, there was a one year old crying - one of the clerks and the owner started to complain about how people bring their kids in..... UM.... seriously.... how else can scrappers with kids go shopping?

That turned me right off and I haven't been back since.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Hmmm... I don't think I would say my LSS is child-friendly but then again, I couldn't imagine bringing a young child into this kind of store. Well, I'm envisioning a wild young child. My two youngest niece and nephew are good kids who just look. (I'm picturing one of my friend's kids who were rambunctious boys who would have probably destroyed the store.) The people who own and work at the store are very friendly and I don't think they'd have issues with kids in the store. I'm sure the "You break it, you buy it" policy is fully enforced. I wonder how that works with items that are opened?

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Although I did not see a kid's area in my LSS, they don't seem to follow the kids around; I have to tell you a story though; I was at my LSS last week looking around and I heard this little girl chattering away; a couple minutes later, I noticed it was NONSTOP CHATTER; I started looking for her and wondering if it was me, or did anyone else notice this; I could see that she was following her mom around, dragging a basket; she may have been about 3; I don't think she was speaking English, but her mom seemed to answer her in English; so I ended up in the same aisle as her, she glanced at me and just kept talking; next thing I know she's got her arm around my leg and I smooth her hair in a natural mom reaction; then she looks up and realizes I'm not her mom!! She went running over to mom, but with barely a break in the chatter! It was so funny; her mom and I had a good laugh; I think she may be an SCS stalker in training!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Mine has a couch with a few "doctor's office" type toys. They also do kid oriented classes- either teens scrapbook nights, or mom and me type things. I also know they work with the GS council to put on a crop activity for the cadettes/seniors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
LOL - I have to admit that I'm a bit clumsy and though I always pick up things I knock over/off shelves, I'm sure sometimes they'd like to ban me. I ususally buy more than my fair share so they tolerate me.
They ought to love you and welcome you by name! Seriously tho, if store owners want things kept exactly as they were placed when stocking the shelves, and get upset when someone knocks a stamp over or something, they should consider switching into the museum business. Enthusiastic customers knocking stuff down and putting it back is quite different from bratty kids that intentionally smear their gummy, drooly fingerprints over mirrors, windows, product, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

you know... I was just thinking that Archivers needs a play area... My privately owned LSS has a small activity table and this is very helpful in keeping my 3 YO busy while I shop... but at archivers it's ridiculous! He wants to touch everything and I always leave there so frustrated!

Am I the only one who is always appalled at how MANY stores (scrapping/stamping or otherwise) are NOT child friendly!?! When I am shopping I always feel like shop keepers are annoyed that I HAVE a child. Since when did the world become so Anti-kid! Even our large local Mall (one of the largest indoor malls in the world) has NO PLAY AREA! it's nuts! it should have a play area on every floor and level! It could probably accommodate 8 play areas!

I think part of the problem is that most retailers don't want to mess with liability issues... if they set up a play area they are liable if someone gets hurt or god forbid... lost or missing.

But I agree; a little hello, smile and a sticker might be a nice touch at Archivers. I would spend a lot more time and money at my local crafty stores if they would be more tolerant of my child.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

My LSS has a small room with some toys and a TV/DVD player. I had my nephew with me one day and stopped by. I thought I'd be chasing him all over (he's just 3 1/2), but he found the DVD and didn't want to leave!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

We don't have one near me, but I visited one once that had a nice kids area. Had a TV with movies for all ages and then some play stuff - all in a sectioned off corner of the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I, too, wish we had an LSS (other than M's, HL, or JA's), but I have been in other LSSs that were very friendly to children...DVD player, small furniture, play area, etc. One store even invited my DD to make a card for the troops while I shopped...she was thrilled and they were impressed w/ her skills.

As a parent and the owner of a retail store, I feel it is important for stores to be kid friendly. We have a kids corner in our store w/ toys, DVD player, etc. and many times either DH and I have actually played w/ the children while mom and dad shopped. A couple months ago we had a little girl in the store who took a liking to me, so we sat and chatted awhile and watched the squirrel video (Yankee Flipper) at least five times, while DH helped her parents. Another very precocious young lady dragged me all over the store asking questions and showing me her favorite things.

We enjoy children and love having them in our store, however there are many people who do not teach their children appropriate shopping behaviour and couldn't care less that their kid is in the next aisle running amok. These kinds of experiences can make shop owners a little wary. I would suggest for those of you w/ younger (3 yo and under), more curious, hands-on children, a small stroller can make your shopping experience a little less hectic, especially if you can provide them w/ some distraction while they're constrained. At least then you'll know where they are and that they're staying out of trouble, and the store management can breathe a little easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your experience. There is no excuse for rudeness! That being said, I used to work in a LLS and we actually had worse problems with the older kids than the younger ones. The younger ones might tear off a sticker or crumple a piece of paper but the Mom's were usually watching them so that was kept to a minimum. The older kids were often not being supervised by their shopping parent and if we didn't watch them they would open pens and write on the fixtures (not very nice words either), one of them opened a bottle of glue & dumped it on the carpet and we suspected several of shoplifting. Your store owner has probably had similar experiences. These experiences don't justify her rudeness but I thought it might help if you had a glimpse of her perspective.

Pam
I would have to agree with Pam. I used to work at a rubber stamp store and everything you read above happened at our store too. We felt helpless because we didn't want to alienate our customers, but we didn't feel it was our job to watch their kids either. Even other customers bristled @ unruly kids in the store and believe me it was a rare child that was not.

I personally felt sorry for the kids, they did not want to be there, they were either always hungry, tired or bored from being subjected to "Mom" time. I just didn't understand why mothers subjected their kids to this type of shopping, I know I did not, could not, enjoy myself unless my son was home or with someone doing something he enjoyed.

Sorry...
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I generally just lurk, but felt I had to reply to this question. Our LSS is kid friendly (up to a point). She has a nice corner with a table, toys, etc., but a woman brought her 4 year old in, didn't watch him & he crawled up one of the display shelves. It toppled causing the next two to topple also & the last one hit an older customer on the head. The woman was all concerned about her kid (which wasn't hurt), huffed out the door & didn't even ask if the elderly woman was okay. The owner now has a sign on the front door stating that all children under 10 must be supervised. I seldom have problem with the kids themselves, it's the parents that let them run wild that I get annoyed with. When my children were young I had babysitters that I used when I wanted to shop. If I couldn't afford a babysitter I didn't go shopping. Not all people are charmed by unruly, loud & obnoxious children.
Reply With Quote Likes