Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #41  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in our area there is a party rental business, rents out linens, glass wear, tables forlding chairs etc. every year or two they have a big "yard sale" and sell off older equipment. they sell the big folding banquet table (sturdy ones) for $10 each! I didn't have the use for one this past spring, but I may have to keep my eye out for one next year. They had at least 50 there for sale. Check it out in your phone book, the business may want to clear some out and you might get a great deal.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoleyView Post
Awesome feedback everyone! Cdjksss - a question on the BJURSTA table - is it sturdy? I LOVE the idea of expansion but "small" when not in use!
Yes, it's very sturdy. I've had people working at all four sides at once, including on the ends of the pull-out leaves, with no problem.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #43  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my grandma's big ol' chrome dinette table. It has two drop leaves and folds up quite small, but it's huge otherwise. That formica top is nice and smooth for stamping. And it brings back nice memories of my grandma. It was my dining room table when I moved out of my parents house and has followed me around to different apartments, both before and after marriage. Once we got a real dining room set, it came down to the basement to live and became my crafting table. I love it!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH took a finished piece of wood, stained it and mounted it between 2 of my cabinets to make a desk for me. Looks professional and like a real piece of furniture to me. I just wish it was twice the size!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,299 Likes on 2,486 Posts

I too stamp in the basement, but we have Ott floursecent lights in each of the holder things--each one holds 4 of the long bulbs. It seems to give off pretty good light. They came in all of the basement fixtures and I did not really know what they were until I started to hear all about Ott lights and realized we already had them when we moved in.

I have a laminate counter top that also was a leftover piece we got at Home Depot--it is mounted above three pieces of kitchen type cabinets--one with a drawer and door while the other two each have four drawers. That area is more the scrapping area and a counter top stool is used.

The stamping area I used is currently under re-construction! I "had" one of the white plastic banquet type tables, but it always had too much "give" for me when I was using some of my stamps. I many times went to the counter to stamp some images. Just last week I bought a heavier wood laminate top folding table for the room (Office Max on sale) and I know it will work much better. I also got two more tall book cases, a two drawer professiona grade file cabinet (OM on sale too) to hold the hanging files of cardstock that I currently have hanging in plastic bins that are on the floor (the cabinet will fit under one end of the new table) and I even got a new chair (sale too)with rollers! Can not wait to get it all back together and start to play again. The only thing I could not get was a window!!!!!! But, I figured with all of the money I saved on sale items, I could buy more stamps!

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I use a counter-top...I am always moving around and didn't like the lower desks where you have to sit down...I do have stools there in case I want to sit a while, but mostly I stand.
I have a dining table behind me in case I have friends or for games, etc. since it's part of the family room...but I usually end up cluttering that up with scraps and always do my *work* at the counter. It's easy to clean, a good depth, very solid and durable.

I have pics here: http://papercanoes.blogspot.com/2009...ping-room.html
I usually stand too. I am always grabbing this or that so if I sit I am just up and down any way. Some times with swaps putting things together after pieces are prepared I might sit. I have 4ft high counters and island. I do most stamping and cutting at the island, embossing and gluing on the counter. Every thing is real sturdy.

Island is topped with granite, very durable. It was a scrap from the counter shop. (We got it for free because they were doing all the counters for our kitchen & baths.) Scraps are paid for by the person who bought the slab. If they don't take them, the finishing yards will usually just make you pay for their work, but you have to ask and take whatever they have. Plus you have to be able to transport and install them yourself unless you get them to include that in their price.

I also put the Create definition Decor Element in my craft room

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I use an old Formica topped chrome legged table (probably collectible now) that was left in our home when we bought it. It has two leaves so it opens pretty big. I do not like stamping on the newer white plastic folding banquet tables as they give and are not smooth. The Formica wipes off when I get messy. Now if I would just clean it off of some of my stuff, I would have a nice big stamping area. BTW, my stamping room is in the so called "work room" in one half of the "lower level" that is also storage (no attic like in the old days), sewing area and general JUNK room - mostly MY junk! Husband has his garage. This area does have a big window (looks at the wood storage) but you can see the weather and also has an outside door - not really bad if I cleaned the room up (if I ever get off SCS.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #48  
Embossing Fanatic

CDJKSSSS - Thanks for the info - I was thinking about the Norden gateleg, but will probably swtich to the BJURSTA now - EVERYONE ELSE - you ROCK and THANKS for making this a great discussion! I have enjoyed reading about your stamping spaces and the tables you use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've stamped on pretty much every surface out there, and here's what I think: My personal preference is a slab of Melamine-coated chipboard (4' x 8' - it's the stuff they make those cheap DIY shelf things out of) on top of dressers or filing cabinets so you have a HUGE work surface that's also stable. Having said that, I realize that space is an issue for most of us, so the universal 'cure', if you will, is this handy little item I found at Joann's:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...ODID=xprd74727

It allows you to make an imperfect surface perfect for stamping, so you can use it pretty much anywhere. I've even used it on an old sewing cabinet that had two pieces of wood that didn't match up properly, so there was a gap and an unevenness, and it still worked perfectly! I'd still make sure that the surface underneath was solid (as in no 'give').

The biggest advantage here is that you can use any piece of furniture that fits your space and your decor and know that you'll get a great impression every time!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #50  
Inking Addict

I use my dining room table- it has a formica top and cleans up really well. If I need more room there is a leaf I can put in. Once in a while I have friends or relatives over to craft, so that it quite useful.
I use wallpaper sheets to help protect the table, and that works out really well- when they get really awful- OUT they go.
My craft room is actually the master bedroom in my 2 bedroom apartment- I decided when I moved in here that I didn't need to have a large room to sleep in, so I use the second bedroom for that. Basically my craft room is my craft STORAGE room, and I cart out what I need for any particular project. The light is much better in the dining room area, as there is a huge patio window which lets in a lot of good daylight.
I have a card table which I haul out once in a while to HOLD craft items for a class or a demo- I wouldn't want to trust using it to getting a good stamp image.
In my craft room is my old dining room table which unfortunately is always cluttered...:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use a butcher block kitchen island that is counter height. It's located in the middle of my studio room directly under the ceiling light. It's a great height for cutting and a large cutting matte fits on the top perfectly (3' X 6'). It doubles as my cutting spot for quilting projects. It also has a lot of storage underneath with doors on both sides for access and a great drawer to house all the stuff that I use regularly ie: tape, scissors, cutting tools, sponges, etc. I ordered it from a "ma and pa" furniture store - and not very pricey either.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!

Last edited by chrisations.ink; 09-09-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts

There are two tables in my craft/guest room. One is an old desk that is solid wood but got beat up in a move. Unfortunately the drawers are gone, but it is very solid. My other table one of those white plastic folding ones. I do my stamping and coloring on the desk and use the other for moveable storage, my paper trimmer and die cutter.
There is also a hutch top I found at the Habitate Re-Use Center that my husband attached to the top of the desk. It's great shelving for ink pads, stamps, all kinds of stuff.
If we have company, I just move the things from the white table onto the desk top and fold it up, then put it out of the way. That way we can put up an inflatable bed in the center of the room and still allow space to walk around.
My BIL and his wife stayed in there recently. They loved it because of the artwork all over the place, and the crafting books in my bookcase.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

I use a dining room table. I wanted to get a nice desk or table and looked and looked for a used one. I never found anything that would work. So, I headed to a furniture outlet with the intention of getting a cheapy desk. I found a really big, nice table. It is actually a dining room table and came with leaves and everything. It is really a beautiful table. It was super cheap. It is such a nice table, that I kind of feel guilty using it as my craft table...so I use a big desk pad to work on...I figure some day I may want to use the table for something else and want to keep it in a nice condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

thank you

I have one of the very small white tables from Sam's and one from Fleet Farm (yes, Fleet Farm & you are not my mother-in-law so don't tell me I have the store name backwards) My daughter thinks I should remove the comment about my mother-in-law, but I am keeping it in.

One is under a bed. the one I used the most i did some heat embossing on and I thought that I caused the unevenness with the heat gun. Now I understand it may have come that way. I cover the table with a stamping pad when I need to travle with my own table. This helps the image to come out clearer.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have two beautiful matching distressed paint desks with cherry tops. They both have matching hutches with cubbies for storage...but I also use one of the plastic 6 ft tables from Cosco in my room. I put one of the cutting mats in the 24 x 18 size on the table and it is great for stamping or doing anything else. The mat gives the desk a more stable stamping base. I love this. Good luck.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #56  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up My LifeSaver

I purchased this table through Brylane Home online. It is actually a Sewing Table, but works absolutely great for my stamping. Please excuse the mess, but as you tell I've recently been making cards. A lot of times Brylane runs this table with 20 % off code or 90 day pay. It works perfect in our TV room since my stamping closet is right next to it. If interested in checking this out: www.brylanehome.com
Attached Thumbnails
YOUR INPUT NEEDED! what table do you stamp on and why!-stamping-table.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

I use one of those plastic tables, but mine does not fold in half only the legs can fold (basically a banquet table). I love my table because it's sturdy enough for my stamping needs but I'm also able to move it easily. I would stay away from tables that fold in half because they do tend to not be sturdy enough. HTH
Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #58  

I have a six foot banquet table. Formica top and foldable legs. LOVE IT! Not wobbly at all, lots of space to spread out, and it's deep enough to hold my pencil holder, my three drawer stand with fingertip tools, and my cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Default Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymerzView Post
I use a 6 foot banquet table and I love it. I got mine at sam's club and they had a 4ft one exactly like it but I wanted the bigger one with lots of space .
This too is what i use and love.. I'd also like a butcher table or moveable island for when I feel like standing for scrapping. I like to sit for card making & stand for the other..wierd ey??
lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #60  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Tables on the "cheap"

Check your Phone Directory (or go online) to see if you have a General Services Warehouse near you. This is where all unused govt. supplies go to be sold. Not every state has one. I have a lovely desk, with the crank up typewriter deck, that was $5.00, its an oldie but wonderful shape. It is used with two folding (smaller) banquet tables from an office supply. Makes a "J" shaped configuration. Gen. Services are a wealth of goodies. All those scissors, taken from travelers at the airports go there to be sold at Twentyfive cents a pair. Our Senior groups here in WA state have loads of the orange handle Fiskars, the tiny "cut to the point" type. Once it got around what they had, its hard to find them now, but check you local warehouse, they usually have photos of what they have. Husbands love this place, tools, trucks, computers, just STUFF in general. Its been quite awhile since I have been there, my son's keep an eye out for the scissors for me. Ours is in Auburn, WA in the Industrial area. Happy Treasure Hunting ! Nola:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

I use an executive desk with a melamine top that I highly recommend. The work surface is perfectly smooth so it is perfect for stamping. The desk also has two built in file drawers, perfect for storing 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock. There are also compartments right above each file drawer that I use to store my 12x12 papers.

Here is a photo of it in my gallery. I have more pictures on my blog, too.
Welcome to the Stamping Hut by akemi76 at Splitcoaststampers

And here is a link to the desk at Office Depot. I found mine on Craigslist for $200. The nice thing about finding it used is that it is already assembled!!!
http://www.officedepot.com/a/product..._MXr:13ddpq5n2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Sadly, I use a 'Costco'/'Sams Club' foldable 6 ft. table with another 4 ft. version set next to it at a 90 degree angle for the "L" shape.

Why do I say 'sadly'? Because these tables "give" or flex just a little bitty bit. That isn't the best surface for stamping. It isn't 'solid' enough for stamping large images. How do I combat that issue? I keep a couple of ceramic tiles from flooring projects handy for a 'solid' surface to stamp medium-large images upon. I also have 2 or 3 6x8" pieces of wood for the same purpose. I use these when I have classes, since I don't have enough ceramic tiles. ;)

A wooden table or cabinet top is best, IMO. If I want to use a cabinet/counter top, I would have to "get up", go over to the cabinets out here in the studio, and stamp. sigh .... I know ... what's a few steps? The tiles help save me some time. ;)

Best wishes on your decisions! But if you do opt for a 'giving' surface, try the ceramic tile. You can buy singles 8"x8" or larger at the home improvement store for very little cost if you don't have a couple laying around. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty_S_KView Post
I have one of the very small white tables from Sam's and one from Fleet Farm (yes, Fleet Farm & you are not my mother-in-law so don't tell me I have the store name backwards) My daughter thinks I should remove the comment about my mother-in-law, but I am keeping it in.

Betty
Thats funny!! I used to live in Northern WI, and they have Fleet Farm.
Now I live in Madison, and we have Farm & Fleet. I still call it Fleet Farm!

I use a 4" long table for my stamping. Someday I hope to have my own room, then I'll get a nice desk of some kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

So are drafting tables steady and not wobbly for stamping? Or does quality matter?

My dream table is one that I can sit on a stool and use.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

I dont like to sit and stamp....... rather stand........ I use a Boos butcher block table and have a barstool for when I want to sit....... I got it on sale at lowes for $300......... top is 3 x 4....... work great for crafts and i can also use it my framing/mat cutter
Reply With Quote Likes