Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with MnM.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Yes, well, no. I mean why is it that I have so many stamps but never seem to have the right one for the moment? I always think "I wish I had the _____ set" so I buy it. While waiting for that set I wish I had the ______ set so I buy that, never having used the first ______ set. What was someone saying about an addiction?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

bite your tongue girl! no such thing as too many stamps! Actually I felt the same way last week when I was busy unmounting all my stamps and got a bliste r on my thumb.

You really can't have too many stamps, you just never know which one will be the perfect one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah...I'm the one that said it was cheaper than therapy!!!! I'm looking for more storage...have never used half of them,but could never think about selling any of them!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I'm reposting this from a thread earilier this year. I for one, love the collection of stamps and such that I have. It's just the right amount. LOL!!

Cynthia

6/15/06

Hi!
I've been at this stamping thing for over 15 years now and since I don't sell or trade off what I have, ummm....I have a lot of stuff.

Just SU stuff I have

415 Sets
47 Wheels
114 Single Stamps (back when SU used to sell a lot more singles, booking stamps received before becoming a demo and when single stamps were given away as SAB incentives)

All total I have 6,434 images from

498 Sets
147 wheels
824 Single Stamps

I retired from being a demo a year ago and I've really cut back on purchasing rubber stamps. Spent most of my money this year on Sizzix dies. Looking forward to purchasing stamps this upcoming year, LOL!!!

Response to How Many???

Hi!
Wow, lots of questions. A lot of people have asked why so many, you don't need so many, where do you put them, etc... in all the time that I've been stamping. Makes me laugh, we all have our vices and stamping is mine.

I received my first set of stamps 35 years ago, my Mom bought me a set of stamps at a garage sale, they are from 1932. 300 individual stamps (images, words, letters & numbers) it's an old fashioned printing/publishing set designed to teach kids to write and illustrate. As I grew up they got put up in the attic and forgotten (she gave them to me 7 years ago, they moved and she found them tucked under the eaves). Mom said I used them a lot, I really don't remember. So that's who started me.

Then 16 years ago my girlfriend bought me a blue ink pad, "You're Invited" with details and a Thank You stamp. I had my first child then, and the second on the way, I was a stay at home Mom and she figured I could use these for the kids as they grew up.

Then I was invited to a SU party by a friend from church, bought a little, then over time I hosted a few large parties (earned a lot of free stamps) and went to other friends parties. After a while I became a demo and the rest is downhill from there. Back when I started for SU the sets were foam mounted and that enabled me to buy more for less. There weren't as many accessories so that helped me spend money on stamps instead of accessories. We used to have monthly stamping get together, lots of workshops and stamp days. A couple friends experimented with opening a stamp store and let a lot of us buy at their wholesale price to meet the minimum. Stamp conventions, stamp stores, going out of business sales, grab bags and on and on for sources of stamps. I always looked for discounts, sales and deals.

Over time much has changed, I work, I'm not a demo anymore. The stamps days are gone, I'm pretty much the only stamper still stamping. Almost 1,000 of the 6,434 individual stamp images that I have came from stamping friends who have stopped stamping and they have given me their stamps. A lot of my stamps I earned through commissions, bonuses or gifts. Although I'm not buying stamps anymore either. I'm always open to buying, but the designs are either similar to what I have or I don't care for the designs. I have invested in a fair amount of Sizzix dies this past year, but I'm done with buying those too.

I have never sold off any of my retired stamps. I just don't buy anything similar to what I have. Almost all my stamps are now unmounted, including the Stampin' Up! ones. The wheels are still intact. So are the antique set of stamps, they stay in their case and just get used from time to time. A few dies are too large for the acrylic blocks I have, but for argument's sake all my stamps are unmounted. I keep them in binders, labeled in a cabinet with doors. One cabinet, 42 -1" binders do the trick. I keep track of all the images by stamping them on copy weight paper, sorted by categories similar to SU's catalog (floral, words, backgrounds, etc...) so it makes sort of a giant catalog of what I have. I can easily see roses or leaves and mix and match as needed. This large index catalog has kept me from duplicating images. And yes, I like have more than one variation of a holiday. Makes stamping less boring and that way I don't use the same pumpkin every year.

Right now I'm taking a break from stamping images for a swap I'm involved in. I don't stamp as often as I'd like, but like tools in the kitchen, it's nice to have what I have when I need it. I share as much as I can, I make cards for people as often as I can.

The way I look at things, it's not about how much I have, how much someone else thinks I should have, or even that they think I have too much and should give THEM some of my stuff, since I can't possibly use it all. (I've heard a lot of criticism before, those who criticize aren't invited back over). That's none of their business, it's between DH and I what I have, he's well aware of what I have, how much I have spent and how I use what I have. Not to mention he's helped me move all my stuff several times and drives me to the necessary stores to purchase needed items. It was also DH who gave me a huge Christmas gift of most of the Sizzix dies I own.

When our boys were younger they used to stamp with me. Which is why I have dinosaur and power ranger stamps. LOL!!! Now DD who is almost 9 stamps with me. Sometimes she'll make an announcement, usually to DH, that she "Just has to craft!" Makes him laugh and off we go to make something. She'll be inheriting all my stuff so now when I make purchases she likes to make sure it's something she likes too.

So yes, I have a lot, no I don't have too many, I have just enough. I store it all in a corner of my family room and I stamp at the kitchen table. I do use my stamps for good, cards, gifts, and lots and lots of things are made for others. Hope that helps. Have a wonderful day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any time, I see a stamp set that I haven't used in a year, then, yes, I feel I have too many stamps. Stamps should never languish, neglected like that. They need TLU (Tender Loving Use). ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #47  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3boys
So does anyone else not sell their retired stamps? I can never part with them. I just love them too much.
I never part with mine *just* because they are retired! ONLY if I have "outgrown" the images or style of them.
I sometimes feel overwhelmed by my large amount of stamps, then something comes up that I need am image for that I don't have! LOL! the PROVES I don't have too many right?
I agree its a horrible addiction, but hey, I don't have any damaging habits that would hurt anyone. I also agree its fun and relaxing to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great idea Julie, I will make sure I use all my beloved stamps at least once a year!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I've never sold any. I wouldn't even know how to go about it. I have bought retired ones from my demo. I've also bought a few from the retiring list. I know I haven't used them all, but I keep finding ones I want. I know I have ordered some to make cards I have seen on SCS, then by the time it arrives, I forget to make it. I have a problem because I don't have a stamp room. I am waiting for my son to graduate and move out so I can have his room. I do, however, have a wall of shelves in the family room, mostly filled with old books from college, cookbooks, and computer software. I'm thinking about giving some of that stuff away so I will have shelves for stamps!
I really don't think I'll be getting rid of any stamps any time in the near future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Sometimes I feel like I have enough also.since I have some stamps I have only used a couple of times and others I haven't even used yet.Some I bought that are retired I try not to hold onto the retired stamps too long unless it's a set areally love.other wise if I haven't used it in a while I will sell it to update for a newer set.or another retired set that I want but hard to find.

But yes after I made a binder of all the stamps I have and stamped each set out on paper I felt like what am I possibly going to do with all of these and how often will I use all of them.

I know that I will always have them for later on.But I hardly use my scrapbooking stuff now and hope I don't do the same with my stampin stuff now.Now that I am back to work.I find I hardly ever stamp now.and if I should even sign up for stamp camp next year.once this one is over.I love all my stamps and know once I see the new catalog I will want to keep on buying.even though hb thinks I have enough.SO WHAT DO YOU DO!

I tell him it's my 1 night out a month and a night to get together with friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

My Motto is, if you look at the set, and you are not drawn to stamping with it, trade it for something else. Keep the number of sets down to a reasonable level so you do not become overwhelmed...Everyone has their own limit but mine is somewhere between 30-40 sets. After that, some must go. How could I ever, in a million years, use more than 50 stamp sets???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Yes Yes!!! It is a sickness. I just love to fondel my rubber stamps! Just joking. But I do have pride in ownership. Tons and tons!!!! At least it is something that I can do with my kids and friends. It's not just a selfish habit right? I mean I do give away all the things that turn out right. :}
Join the club.
Shelley~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Happiness is opening up the cabinet and seeing all of my stamps...In fact, I was thinking the other day that I didn't have enough! Of course- I am still kind of new so I am sure that I don't.....but even if I had much more- it still wouldn't be enough!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

I wanted to put my two cents in before I read everyone else's responses, then I'll go back and see what everyone said.

Yes. I do think you can have too many stamps and supplies. I think I have too much, and have taken a step back to examine my purchases. Fortunately, we have been blessed and it is not a financial issue for me-I could afford to buy more than I do. But as a Christian, I just don't feel like excessive consumption is right for me. I am trying to use the things I already own for a while so that I can justify my next purchase. When I am stalking Julia S's gallery, instead of buying everything she uses, I'm trying to incorporate elements of her cards into my work. Honestly, even if I owned everything the DD did, and for the most part I do, it wouldn't make me more talented!

This is one of the reasons I am letting my demoship lapse. I used it as an excuse to overspend. I sold $500 a month for six years and never made a dime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
My Motto is, if you look at the set, and you are not drawn to stamping with it, trade it for something else. Keep the number of sets down to a reasonable level so you do not become overwhelmed...Everyone has their own limit but mine is somewhere between 30-40 sets. After that, some must go. How could I ever, in a million years, use more than 50 stamp sets???
Believe it or not, the infamous Suze Weinberg once mentioned she owns over 10,000 stamp images.

:shock:

I struggle imagining HOW anyone could possibly use that many images enough to actually KEEP that many images on hand . . . UKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3boys
Well, after tonight I do! How can I possibly find the time to use all my stamps and the new ones I just ordered? It's a sickness I just know it is right?
I keep telling myself it could be worse...I could be buying things that aren't healthy for me right! Well hey, at least I make and send cards out to make ppl feel better and I never need to "buy" another card again!

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Renee

In my younger days (early twenties), I was big into going to the bars with my friends -- typically Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays -- and could easily drop upwards of $50 on MYSELF each of those nights. That was when I was working one or two part times jobs plus going to college.

At 38, we don't go to bars (or even drink at home) so I use this example as my 'mantra' if I am ever wondering "Should I buy this?" when it comes to my craft. No, I don't spend $150 a week on stamping stuff, but at least if I want something, I buy it. Do I have enough stamps? Well, I suppose I do, but do I have that exact stamp? No!!

However, I do still occasionally buy a card at a store, but sometimes I just can't think of how I want to make a card. Especially sympathy cards. Sometimes I just go to look at cards to get ideas of how I want to make a card.

I'm at the point now, however, that I can go into the local stamp store and NOT buy any stamps. I was at Hobby Lobby on Wednesday (and some were 50% off) and I didn't buy any. Tomorrow the LSS takes the Michael's coupon and I have to be in town for a doctor's appointment... so I'll probably pop in to maybe get something... ;)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Wowzers on the 10,000 images . . . . how could you possibly know what you have? I've seen videos of her (Suze Weinberg) studio and she has fabulous storage but still . . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Oh yeah, and my husband has a touring Harley... so I have many many many stamps and supplies left to buy until we equal that $$. LOL (But I get to be a passenger!)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 679 Likes on 351 Posts

You ever think you have way too many stamps?

NEVAH!! LOL!! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile I could never have too many stamps.

I love all the stamps that I have. I take good care of them.\

Debbie in Maine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

If you think you have too many stamps. Just stop! Turn around and go quickly to buy the Cuttlebug. You will spend enough money on it to not worry about all those stamps (until Sellabration)(or the winter mini)!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, no! I just ordered two more sets- but they're from the Holiday Mini, so that's ok, right?? I mean, I couldn't let them slip away without getting them- they are so cute and so are the samples in the galleries using them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Still go out to bars and still drink at home...that's when I do my best stampin" and still have a ton of stamps! I was a SU demo(for my personal use only....so that was 100.00 a month and I buy alot more of other companies than I do SU. I'm guessing 200.00 a month for stamps and supplies...just got that cuttlebug ..so who knows what I'll spend now!!! And send out very few cards...it's just therapy for me!! I make them and file them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

No, no, no, no, no! Never too many stamps!! Just time to make sure you use them all. I'm with a few of the ladies above, for a while I purchased just the supplies to use in making them. THOUGHT I had enough stamps, then the new catty came out and well. . . There's really no place to purchase stamps where I live and the supplies that SU puts out are the best soooo. . . I'm a demo to supply my habit. And besides, it is definitely cheaper than therapy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #65  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

For me, stamps are like chocolate--you can never have too much or too many!!! Every time I think I have too many and need to sell some, I can never part with any sets, so I just keep getting more and more and more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #66  
Kookie Creator

My alltime favorite stamp for the back of my cards is:
Rubber Stamps - $7000.00
Supplies & inks - $4000.00
Handmade card by me - Priceless

It's soooo true, but I wouldn't give them up for anything, stamping is great - it's like coloring books for grownups
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

No I do not feel like I have enough. I have room for more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Why? Because before I did, I was thinking that maybe I have enough stamps for right now. But now? Well, now I can see that what I have barely qualifies as a collection! :-D Thank you all so much for enabling me. Just in the nick of time, too. My LSS is having a sale starting next week.
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, I feel like I have too many. I'm selling off those that I don't use, being extremely selective when buying new stamps, and I'm focusing more on those that I'll use in scrapbooking (and/or those that are EXTREMELY versatile).
Reply With Quote Likes