Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Will this work to save money on SU Color Renovation

Hi,

I was thinking of taking my old ink pads of retired colors (like marvelous magenta, going WAY back).

They're all dried up. So, do you think I could just buy the re-inker in the new colors, and put them in my old ink pads? Then I could just buy the reinkers instead of investing in the pads. It'll be cheaper this way.

-Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts

I forgot to mention that I will put similar colors into the old pads. Like, for the pad for the retired Marv. Magenta, I will put the new color, Rich Razzleberry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting thought. I'd worry about the color left in the pad. Could a person wash/rinse the old inkpad to get out all the old color?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If the pad is dry it would probably work. I have not personally tried it but I did once accidentally reink a Pretty in Pink pad with Blush Blossom (actually overinked it) and it was closer to Blush than Pink where I thought the opposite would be true. However, when I had another simialr accident (*Must remember to wear glasses when selecting reinker*) involving Sage Shadow reinker and a Certain Celery pad the resulting color was clearly a combination of the two greens.

Also, I read that SU will be selling uninked pads but I think they will be foam (suitable for pigment inks whereas felt is used for dye inks). If you're planning to use this with new and/or continuing colors you could always just try one color. The worst case is you "waste" some reinker and end up buying the inkpad.

Another option is to but a Ranger product (name is escaping me right now) available in felt or foam designed for making your own inkpad.

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it might work. since the ink is dye based I'd try rinsing out the old pad first and letting it dry completely. Let us know how it works....it's a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I did do this. I had a red ink pad that I must have reinked with the wrong color. Anyway, when groovy guava came out, I took my old ink pad and washed it really good...no red running and let it dry. I added the groovy guava and it worked for a bit, but as it sat the red must have seeped out of pores or something and gg looked sort of more orangey. Trust me when I say I thought I washed it forever, too! By the time you use all of the water and hot water to clean it I do not know how much is really saved.

I have a couple of suggestions for you, though. Try to sell the old ink pads in the BST Forum here even if they are still the old pad flip top styling. Some people still want those. Use the money to buy new stuff.

Also, if you are not a demo, I recommend buying the cardstocks and any inks that you just know you must have and may not be able to duplicate with anything you have now. Once you get the colors in hand, see if you have any of the old inks that could substitute with the new colors by stamping off once to create a lighter shade. I was thinking that summer sun and ballet blue could be stamped off once to sort of "work" for the new daffodil delight and marine mist hues. Or, could so saffron work with daffodil delight in a crunch? And, could dusty durango or really rust not sort of work for the canjun in an pinch, too? I have not seen the colors IRL yet, but this is what I plan to do. Play with what I have to start with. I say this, too, because there are so many colors in the current collection that I own all of the ink pads/reinkers and I rarely touch them.

Do not forget versamark!

In addition to these, it is also helpful to consider if you are an outline stamper or a solid image stamper. If you normally color stuff with copics or what not, then you may not need the colors ink pads as much as you will need the cardstocks.

HTH!

Blessings,

Betty

II Tim. 1:7

Last edited by gbedwright; 05-18-2010 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Another option is to buy your own dye ink cubes and make your own spots. I did this with a lot of SU colors. Whole lot cheaper than buying SU spots and you just have to buy the re-inkers. You can find dye ink spots here. They are only $1.90 each. At first I was not sure I would like using the spots but I actually prefer them to the large pads.
Oh and I have rinsed spots out before for use with a new color. It does take some work to get all the ink out, I can't imagine trying to do it with a full size pad. The little spot seemed to take forever. Lots of ink in those little things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
Another option is to buy your own dye ink cubes and make your own spots. I did this with a lot of SU colors. Whole lot cheaper than buying SU spots and you just have to buy the re-inkers. You can find dye ink spots here. They are only $1.90 each. At first I was not sure I would like using the spots but I actually prefer them to the large pads.
Oh and I have rinsed spots out before for use with a new color. It does take some work to get all the ink out, I can't imagine trying to do it with a full size pad. The little spot seemed to take forever. Lots of ink in those little things.
Seriously, that is the coolest thing I've seen! Thank you SO much for posting that link and info - I never had even thought of that option. With whatever I *could* get from selling retiring stuff, it still wouldn't cover the cost of new stuff, so why not make it a little easier. I didn't think I'd like spots either, and sometimes it IS nice to have a whole pad to stamp right onto, but $ is $, you know? Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #9  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I am a demo and did that last time SU! revamped the colors. Wash your old pads very well and air dry (this takes days) Use the closest colors to re-ink. Honestly tho, how much is your time worth? I ended up feeling that it was not worth it for saving $3.00 each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 19 Posts

I tried washing also and never got all the color out. I also tried washing out a marker tip to use as a replacement tip and after days of soaking and washing I could never remove all the ink. However, it will work so long as the colors are really close but the tip is not as strong as it was. I decided it wasn't worth my time for the savings.

I've made spots for all the colors I like to use for edging. I love them
Reply With Quote Likes