Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysnowflakeView Post
Vonnie, I just sold a lot of stuff on ebay and I did okay. I tried selling stuff here on SCS but only 1 set sold so then I went to ebay. I have also purchased lots of stuff. I might be missing something but I figure if it works then do it.
I guess I was just confused by the fact that anyone would pay the store prices (even Wal-Mart) for 'big-ticket' items like the Cricut when the prices are so much better on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

I can totally understand it. I always feel I need to buy something that I don't really need it. :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #43  
Chat Box Chick

I am a collector too. I have finally decided to sell a lot of my sets too though. I guess I justified it by reminding myself that I get to buy new goodies with the $$! LOL!

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #44  
Inking Addict

I am always looking for a good deal on stamping, scrapping stuff! I have sooo much. My kids say I have a sickness! If I complain about their addiction to buying clothes they say ...Mom look at your stamp stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Red face buy buy buy

I too, love new things, I have cuttle bug, carl and all accessaries, croc etc. etc. I am looking into the nesstes, but I have put my self on a budget, no spending for the next 30 days. Even if it is half off. I have enough of every thing, and yet there's always something else to get in order to do a better job. And the crazy thing is, I just started 3 months ago, and only made 2 cards :rolleyes: Im accumalating stuff so that when I am ready I have every thing I need. When I did card's by computer program, it was cheaper and I produced so much more, what was I thinking to switch over??????????? Tell me it is worth it?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndieView Post
Ok--have you been in my "office" lately?? That's exactly what I'm doing--I'm selling off all of the excess and finding my space again to stamp and scrap.

I just unmounted all of my wheels and let me tell ya--it took a while!!!
"My name is Lyndie and I'm a wheel-a-holic."..............
It can be time consuming but it makes me feel good.
I went through ALL of my patterned paper yesterday and I have a ton I need to unload somewhere!

At the same time I made myself 4 paper piles.
1)card making
2)scrapbooking
3)SU! paper
4)TAC paper

ah, feels good
Good for you working on your wheels. I unmounted the 2 I have and I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by caascher2View Post
I am always looking for a good deal on stamping, scrapping stuff! I have sooo much. My kids say I have a sickness! If I complain about their addiction to buying clothes they say ...Mom look at your stamp stuff!
Aren't kids wonderful! I would give anything for my mom to have a hobby! She doesn't do anything and it is sad. I guess she likes it that way. She reads, maybe that is her hobby. So good for you to have an escape. Ignore the kids....ignore the kids....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post
I'm the same way. If your feel like your buying just to buy than do what I do. If you find something you think you want give it one or two days before you order it. If you really really needed it (and in our hobby I use that term loosely hehe) than you will still have that urge to hit the order button. For me I find that there is always something new I discover (within those 2 days) that I'm glad I didn't order the first thing and want this new item more. And the process begins again Try it. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. But you are not alone.
I do this too - waiting a couple of days. I like companies that let you save your basket .
If I still want something 3 or 4 days later, or a week, then I want it.
And companies that don't let you save your basket - I can't always remember what it was I "really" wanted, so obviously I didn't want it that badly LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Good for you working on your wheels. I unmounted the 2 I have and I love it.
Ok, sorry to derail the op, but please tell me about unmounting your wheels... Why? I do my stamps unmounted, but never thought about the wheels... Sell me baby, sell me, lol

"The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it." ~Charles Swindoll
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post
I'm the same way. If your feel like your buying just to buy than do what I do. If you find something you think you want give it one or two days before you order it. If you really really needed it (and in our hobby I use that term loosely hehe) than you will still have that urge to hit the order button. For me I find that there is always something new I discover (within those 2 days) that I'm glad I didn't order the first thing and want this new item more. And the process begins again Try it. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. But you are not alone.
Great advice. I,too, can become a compulsive shopper as in seeing something I think I have to have and buying it. Whereas if I hold off for a bit I, too, am often glad I didnt go for it. I just wish I would follow this advice on a regular basis. I love all the new stuff and the new toys and just collect half the time using it very little. Then I get very disappointed in myself for wasting the money. Guess I'm a slow learner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndieView Post
Ok--have you been in my "office" lately?? That's exactly what I'm doing--I'm selling off all of the excess and finding my space again to stamp and scrap.

I just unmounted all of my wheels and let me tell ya--it took a while!!!
"My name is Lyndie and I'm a wheel-a-holic."..............
When you unmounted all your wheels what did you do with them???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkinftmView Post
Ok, sorry to derail the op, but please tell me about unmounting your wheels... Why? I do my stamps unmounted, but never thought about the wheels... Sell me baby, sell me, lol
I don't like a lot of fuss and muss and maybe someone would think I was nuts for unmounting but I hate those wheels! I could never go straight. And if I buy the guide then I am sure I could never find it. I don't know.
I just put it on Creative Cling and stamp away using an acrylic block. For me it works great.
I do only have 2 unmounted wheels so it wasn't that big of a deal but I like it.

Think about it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #53  
Mad Swapper

YES....a scor-pal is a MUST......
As for the rest......must, must, must, must ectectect
I am so in need of HELP!!!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

And my solution, I became a demo so I could force myself to think about what or why I wanted something and whether it was really worth it. Yes, there are months where I have overspent. (blush) I think it is just nice to get new things, and because each item is not much on it's own you can justify getting it. It is when you start combining it with other small items that you get in trouble. I have a huge issue with paper. I need it, not want it. LOL

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #55  
Compulsive Stamper

This is a quote from an article titled "De-clutter and save money".

"They would rather have more stuff that, per item, they have less time to enjoy than less stuff that, per item, they have more time to enjoy," Trent writes.

On doing a self-examination, (this is a really good thread, btw), I find the above is very true. When I first started out, with very few supplies, I made lots of cards, and became quite creative with what I had. Now that I have almost everything, I still want more, and actually make very few cards!

But could I actually part with any of my goodies? NO! Love 'em all. And this is a very 'enabling' site!

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftorrView Post
This is a quote from an article titled "De-clutter and save money".

"They would rather have more stuff that, per item, they have less time to enjoy than less stuff that, per item, they have more time to enjoy," Trent writes.

On doing a self-examination, (this is a really good thread, btw), I find the above is very true. When I first started out, with very few supplies, I made lots of cards, and became quite creative with what I had. Now that I have almost everything, I still want more, and actually make very few cards!

But could I actually part with any of my goodies? NO! Love 'em all. And this is a very 'enabling' site!

Barb
Trent's quote would be me. I, too, made more creative things when I had a lot fewer supplies than I do now that I have most of the toys. I just seem to love having all that stuff and of course wouldn't want to miss anything new out there. All I have to do is see one card I love and I seem to want everything used to make it even if it's a one time shot. Yikes!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

WOW! That quote is right on! I seriously am needing to clean out and sell but frankly #1 it is a daunting idea #2 I don't know where to sell! I had an Ebay account but it was hijacked and now I am not able to ever open another account! Messed up, right? I am having oral surgery next week so I will use my recovery time to get my stuff together.. I need a list of what I have so I know what to get rid of! ICK! not looking forward to that task! lol
I have put myself on a no-spending period.. I do subscribe to a few monthly scrapbook kits though.. I have also challenged myself to use at least part of each kit within the first week.. if I don't I will sell it! Let's see how that works! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #58  
Kookie Creator

NO matter what hobby I'm enjoying, I just must have every tool to make the job easier, and as professional as possible. I must have a nice, organized work area, and every supply at my fingertips. Otherwise its an excuse not to finish a project.

My problem arises when I don't stick with a hobby long enough to use the supplies. Stained glass, crocheting, quilting, flower arranging, aromatherapy, soap making, beading, embroidery, tole painting, computer graphics, web design, watercolor painting, interior design, sculpy, cold cast porcelain, gardening, scrapbooking, digital scrapbooking, jewelry making...are some of the hobbies I've gotten into, and I've got Rubbermaid totes full of supplies to prove it. :P

I'm also a pack rat, and won't throw anything out in case I get the desire to play with that hobby again.

/cries

At least by getting into card making, all those scrapbook supplies I'm not using to scrap with, I can now use on cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Dh says I'm allergic to money, and the only cure for the "itch" is to buy stamping stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lori! Thar is too funny and ohhhhh sooooo true!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigidenView Post
NO matter what hobby I'm enjoying, I just must have every tool to make the job easier, and as professional as possible. I must have a nice, organized work area, and every supply at my fingertips. Otherwise its an excuse not to finish a project.

My problem arises when I don't stick with a hobby long enough to use the supplies. Stained glass, crocheting, quilting, flower arranging, aromatherapy, soap making, beading, embroidery, tole painting, computer graphics, web design, watercolor painting, interior design, sculpy, cold cast porcelain, gardening, scrapbooking, digital scrapbooking, jewelry making...are some of the hobbies I've gotten into, and I've got Rubbermaid totes full of supplies to prove it. :P

I'm also a pack rat, and won't throw anything out in case I get the desire to play with that hobby again.

/cries

At least by getting into card making, all those scrapbook supplies I'm not using to scrap with, I can now use on cards!
Oh, my goodness, but do you ever sound like me. I've dabbled in soooooo many crafts, classes and everything else and have the tubs of supplies to prove it. I also don't like to get rid of any of it in case I decide to get back to it (which knowing me, I likely won't). I love learning new things but move on quickly to something else new that's out there. It's become a real problem in my life. My biggest thrill seems to be buying more supplies. Yikes!!!! How to stop is the hard part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the word *stop* is known to any of us!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

And I don't want any 12 step program either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #64  
Kookie Creator

I work part time in my local scrapbook store and my cheque doesn't even start to cover what I buy there. I have tried leaving money and cards at home when I go to work but then I put it away and end up going in on my day off to pick up stuff.
My supplies have more than doubled since I started the job and I already had a huge stash to start with :(
I keep justifying by saying now I know how to use the product so I can tell customers about it but my dh isn't buying that excuse anymore. But I'm not stopping, how can when I see all the pretty dp and things coming in sometimes daily
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingoutView Post
I think alot of us probably have this problem. I keep track of the cards I make and give away. I allow myself $3 for every card that i make and then give to someone (giving it away is the key!) I figure that I have saved at least three dollars by making it rather than going to Hallmark and buying one! At the end of the month this is my MAD money. Of course I can't walk out of HL or M's without purchasing something, but it kind of helps keep it in perspective. I like the idea about not buying any more DP if your bin is full! I think paper is my biggest downfall. I LOVE buying paper!
I like this idea! Very clever! I am definitely guilty of having more supplies than I'll probably ever use, but at least if I'm using stuff to send out cards, than I can justify it a little better.

So let's see...to be able to afford a $40 Papertrey order (for free S&H of course!) every month, I need to make sure I send out 13.3 cards every month! Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #66  
Stampin' Fool

You know how I said I was cleaing out my paper? I asked a friend if she wanted to look through it and if she had friends that maybe needed paper. She jumped at the opportunity. The next day I had $60 in my hand!
20 cents per sheet. I have just as much and more but I didn't need THAT much. It felt good.
I just found a whole pack of Vintage Violet and Cool Carribean! Oh boy. Weeding through again! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Boy, am I glad I'm in the same boat. I see something new in crafting & it seems like I might just need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

You know how I said I was cleaing out my paper? I asked a friend if she wanted to look through it and if she had friends that maybe needed paper. She jumped at the opportunity. The next day I had $60 in my hand!
20 cents per sheet. I have just as much and more but I didn't need THAT much. It felt good.
I just found a whole pack of Vintage Violet and Cool Carribean! Oh boy. Weeding through again! lol
I've weeded through my stash twice and gave a lot away for free. That kind of bothered me, but I couldn't bring myself to talk about money. It was stuff I didn't want, so I felt guilty trying to charge someone else for it. How do you get passed that?
Reply With Quote Likes