Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you have your pictures developed?

And what size pictures do you get? I am limited as to where I can go, because I still prefer 3 1/2 X 5 pictures. I can fit more on a page! I absolutely HATE 4 X 6 pictures, but that is all that anybody does anymore! My dh sometimes takes pics with our digital camera, then I'm stuck with
4 X 6 matte, when I normally use 3 1/2 X 5 glossy.
Anybody else have this problem? Where do you go for the cheapest? :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I get my photos developed at Costco because they are the least expensive and my photos turn out better there than anywhere else. I have to get 4x6s though. I looked everywhere for 3.5x5s for my Christmas cards this year and couldn't find them anywhere in my area (Los Angeles, CA) so I ended up having to trim them all. Where do you get your 3.5x5s?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I read somewhere (here, I think) that you should check what processing machines the photo lab uses, and match that up with the brand of film you're having developed in order to get the best results. By this I mean take Kodak film to a lab that uses Kodak machines, and likewise with Fuji, etc.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Mystic Color labs

I do mine by mail thru Mystic Color Lab in Mystic (hence the name) CT. I have used them because I like MATTE and Costco does not do matte. But I believe they do 3X5......let me know if you need a contact.

Ann Marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been very happy with the Fuji machine at our Super Wal-Mart. I download the pics as soon as I get there, do my shopping and pick them up as I leave the store. They are always very prompt with their 1 hour photo developing policy.
~ Teresa ~ Member #4536
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Walmart. I have had pictures done some other places but always go back to Walmart. I have found they are the cheapest also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 03:45 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I do Wal-Mart sendout -- Funny, I was just thinking how the pictures were coming out better lately, I just switched from Fuji to Kodak 800 and I noticed the post earlier about using like brands --- well the paper is Fuji color crystal archive paper and I assume the machine is Fuji also, but the film is Kodak and the pic have been coming out better for some reason. Oh well, I won't mess with it!

I should add that I have had varied results with the one=hour at Walmart, so I do not do that any more, plus I worry about the longetivity of thos pictures, since they do the rush version of processing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
I read somewhere (here, I think) that you should check what processing machines the photo lab uses, and match that up with the brand of film you're having developed in order to get the best results. By this I mean take Kodak film to a lab that uses Kodak machines, and likewise with Fuji, etc.
that isnt always true.. i managed a wolf camera lab for a few years and we only used Fuji equipment... HOWEVER.. we only used Kodak chemicals, and we balanced our machine based on Kodak 200 because it was the MOST commonly used film. Then on top of that.. we used Fuji paper.. but we had the option of matte or glossy. we just changed cartridges depending on what the customer requested.. but we used glossy as default if no preference simply because it was a couple of dollars cheaper per roll.

so, it doesnt matter what you have your film developed in... what does matter is if the chemicals remained balanced daily. if they arent, they can alter colors on your negs.. and permanently ruin them. can give them pink colors that shouldnt be there.. or if the stabilizer is dirty.. it can fog your negs..
if you are really picky.. find a good place.. find a good place that balances chems daily..and replaces chemicals on a regular cycle.. and stick with them. we even had customers who preferred one person developing over another.. i am more of a warm person.. and balanced more on the warm/yellow side..whereas my assistant liked blues.. so she balanced more on the cool side.. and it is evident in the final outcome.

anyway.. HTH.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #9  
tmz
Rubber Obsessor

We have a Photo lab here in my hometown called FO-JO Studios, it has been around for as long as I can remember. I used to work there and they are excellent. They really take the time to color correct and make sure that the prints are of the best quality. The main part of their business is through the mail. If you are interested, I can drop in and get one of their mailers and a price sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 05:25 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Since moving to California I don't have a Walmart available near by to develop film. Costco is also an inconvience for me. A friend of mine suggested shutterfly and I love them. You upload your pics into albums that you can share with family and friends. You can add titles to the front or back of pics. And so many more options. They have a prepay plan also. I love their service.

www.shutterfly.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I send all mine into Snapfish (snapfish.com) It's way cheaper than wal-mart etc, i can send them from my computer or house, and have many many chioces including matte or glossy. also, they do still do 3 1/2 by 5!! I would check them out- only 19 cents for each digital print and it is only $4.98 for 27 prints (including s/h and tax)
Plus, you can order more film, and any size picture you want right there on line- THEN (yes i love love love snapfish) thy post your pics online right when they get them so you can order more, or share them with friends and family- my whole process is just a little more than a week from sending them out from home to getting them back- if they are digital, then my pics are here in three days or less. They are awesome!!

Good luck!
www.snapfish.com

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Karen, I get mine developed at CVS pharmacy right now. It used to be Eckerd's, and it just got bought out or something. That is where I have always gone. I switched to Walgreen's for awhile, but I wasn't happy with my pictures, so I switched back. I've also had to use Wal Mart a few times for my digital camera, but that's because I can't get my dh to stop using the darned thing!! He takes the pictures, then makes me do all of the work, knowing that I can't get the size pictures I want! UGH!! I really, really prefer 3 1/2 X 5, but I prefer my 35 mm camera for other reasons, too.
I'll have to check out some of those online places you guys recommended. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I develop mine at Walmart too. I have an online account with them and send my JPEGS to be printed. Then I select pick-up at the store to save on shipping. Then the email me when they are shipped. Usually done that evening/next morning. They've started an on-line one-hour photo too! If you do the standard in store pickup or mail to home it's $0.19 and if you do the one hour it's $0.24. They don't have 3.5x5. But they have 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 (which is $2.26), wallets, and they'll put them on CD or make index sheets if you want. They're pretty versatile, but I'm wanting a home printer...I just think I can't beat the price per print!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 05:46 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I do mine at Snapfish, too. Great service and I like that can share my albums with everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 06:36 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have gone mainly to digital - I am currently using Clarkcolor.com - so far they have been the cheapest I have found. If you prepay they are as low as 13 cents each...Shipping is reasonable too. I have been VERY happy with the prints - they still do 3.5x5 size and matte or glossy and print on kodak paper for rolls of film in the 3.5x5 size 24 exp single prints it is 1.88 plus $1.30 per roll shipping/handling. Seems reasonable to me.
For digital I think they only do 4x6 or what they call "True digital prints" which is like a 4x5.25 size.
Again I have had no complaints about the photos since I started using them.....
A couple of my friends use Shutterfly.com - they use Kodak paper and print the file name on the back of the print. I found that they were a bit more expensive tho...

If you are interested in trying clark send me your email address and let me refer you so I can earn free prints!!!
Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I've used SEVERAL different places for developing my digital pics. I keep going back to clarkcolor.com They have a lot of nice features. I do wish they would print the title on the back, like shutterfly.com, but you can't have it all!

This year I printed a Christmas pic of me and DH. I got it printed at Shutterfly, Clark, and Walmart. Clark was the best, hands down!

They do not have 3 ½ x 5 digital prints. :(

Good luck!
Ashley

PS I just receieved an HP Photosmart printer for Christmas, so I'm hoping I am pleased with the quality so I can print from the convenience of my home!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 06:58 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I been going to Sam's Club for years. I am still in the dark ages and use roll film with an old SLR camera. I'll move to digital when I can save up enough clams to get the neat-o Digital SLR that I really want. It is the camera of my dreams. The only problem is I keep using my $ for more stampin stuff
I get matte finish on all of my photos. I get 5x7 prints. With the larger size prints, the faces are automatically larger and show up better when scrapbooking. I try to follow the policy of "fill the frame" when shooting photos, but this helps make sure that I can clearly see who is in the photo, especially in groups.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:04 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Default film develop

I use Shutterfly online.... I found it to be better qualify pictures than when using Snapfish. If you prepay, you can get prints for .18 cents! It is so easy to be able to crop from sitting in my own house!!!! Also, a great feature is being able to print a saying on the back of the picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I get my photos done online--- Ofoto.com

If you have a digital camera, they turn out like the photos do in coffee table books--- they are sooo nice! You just sign up, upload your photos to the site and sha-bam, a few days later they arrive.

I also use Walmart or CVS when I am in dire need to see them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I just started using Sam's. You can download the pics online and pic them up in a hour at any Sam's that you request! And it's only 18 cents a pic! True, you can't get 3.5 X 5, but I was able to get wallets for my Christmas cards and could then get two pics for 18cents because they fit on a 4x6. The quality has been very good.
-Kari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:16 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

When we got married last year we took 25 of those disposable cameras to Sam's to be developed. They were fast and the pictures turned out pretty good. I think the cameras or the film were kinda cheap because we developed honeymoon pictures with our camera and they turned out great. Plus it was the cheapest developing out there.
SCS #11408
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:27 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I do what Wendy-O does, although I don't usually get 5 X 7's, I always crop my 4 X 6's if they need it (which is a lot of the time!) I now actually prefer the larger pictures because of the cropping ability. I like people's faces to be closer up and in more detail and the larger size photos help with that! (You are probably a better photographer than I am!) I can't do it with the computer yet as I don't have a digital camera (I agree with the poster who spends her money for the digital camera on stamps, that's me, too! LOL! :lol: :lol I can fit a lot of photos on my 12 X 12 album pages by cropping, 6 photos a page is my average! I do use a lot of ovals and circle cropping tools to help, though!

I get my photos developed at Walmart because of the matte finish. I have had the best luck with the one hour photo service and won't do the send out as they lose too many of them, it seems. If I have a finely detailed picture I want to get more copies (for example, Christmas card photo), I go to Costco because they are a little cheaper and they do glossy photos mostly (although I have heard they have added matte finish back, but you have to wait longer or pay more to get them?)

Good luck! I went to 4 x 6's kicking and screaming, but now I wouldn't get the smaller ones! I guess I adjusted! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been using clubphoto.com for over a year now. They are great! You can get photos in all sizes and matte or glossy. Their free downloadable software works great with macs as well as pcs. I just love uplaoding my pictures and then having the prints delivered to my door. You can get a cheaper price by getting a year membership or just wait for the 17 cent print sales that they have almost monthly
Charlotte
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 08:11 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default photo developing

I only take digital pictures and I 99.5% of the time use ofoto.com for my developing. They are 29 cents per print and you can change sizes, etc. I have been using them for over 4 years. They are a Kodak company in California I think. Their developing is far superior from any other place I have had mine developed.

I have tried Target and Walmart, but I was not pleased w/the quality of the pictures.

http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/maryroth/

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 08:36 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Wolf Camera... they can do 3 1/2 x5 on film or digital, you just have to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I have been using Snapfish for many years now....

All I have to do is stick the film in the mail box, wait for the email telling my pictures are ready so that I can view them and then a couple of days later the original pictures come in the mail. --

It's nice having them online. I have all of my albums (rolls) online and have immediate access to them anytime -- and they will put hundreds of pictures on a disk if you want. Plus, I love being able to get Matte pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 04:07 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

I take senior photos and some wedding photos and if you're very picky about quality, I use www.mpix.com for the last batch. My client was really happy with the results and I don't think they're that much more expensive for the regular prints... and wonderfuly priced for larger prints.
Hope that helps!
~Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 04:30 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I do all my developing through snapfish! I have not ever been disappointed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I have used snapfish for 35mm and digital prints and had good quality and when not, great customer service. They do not offer 3x5 though. I have use clubphoto for those prints.
HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes