Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When posting cards in the gallery

Do you post ONLY original works? Or do you post items that you have CASEd?

I ask because I do my fair share of Pinterest and Google Image and if I see something I like, I just sort of jump on it and make it my own. Maybe change the colors or products used (we all have buttons but maybe I don't have THOSE buttons!!) and maybe sometimes duplicate the entire thing (like treat holders or gift card holders). Most times I love the way they have turned out but I don't post them because I am so afraid someone will look at it and say "Wow Mel, you did a wonderful job of copying my card!" :mad:

Personally, I would not care one bit if someone saw one of my cards and re-created it and posted it in their gallery; they would not even have to mention my name at all... but there are lots of folks out there who get really worked up over such things. I appreciate your input
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I post it. If I know I was directly influenced by a particular card, I would put that in the write up, but I would post it.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

I have done both. I have posted case cards and mentioned the person that influenced me. These card usually had some different elements, not complete copies.

Then I have made some case cards that were complete copies that I did not even bother to post in my gallery. I figured why, Kwim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

The number of cards in my gallery is very small compared to the number of cards I have made. I don't care who copies my cards or what they do with them. But, I agree some people get upset so most of the time I do not post what I make in the gallery especially if I can't remember who I CASEd from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love posting and sharing my cards in the gallery. When I'm looking for inspiration that's where I go, so I figure I should return the favor.

And about casing, copying, giving credit, etc. Rarely do I mention that. Usually I don't remember where I found the inspiration. I'm on my computer a lot, and look at a lot of stuff. And seldom does a card look exactly the same as someone else's anyway.

I personally feel that life is too short to get all hung up about words typed and posted by people on the internet. Someone will always have an objection to something! People can and will say all kinds of things, and frankly unless it is someone I know and respect, I don't pay much attention to negative comments about anything, here or on any other internet forum.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally, I don't post a CASE if it's an exact duplicate. It just seems redundant.

Still, there are any number of people who use the gallery as their personal storage for their projects, and I don't see any problem at all with them posting duplicates. Obviously, credit should be given to the originator of the duplicated project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If I've Case'd someone, I try to give them credit-just a sort of 'thank you' for the inspiration. If I didn't know who it was, I will say I was inspired by someone else's work, just can't remember who. I suppose, eventually, we all produce something similar to someone elses work, whether we've seen the card or not- its the monkeys and typewriters thing. Don't let that stop you putting your cards in your gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I think anyone/everyone should post whatever they want to - it's their gallery, after all. If they want to give credit it's a polite thing to do but, if not, I agree with the others - not worth getting your knickers in a twist over... I posted a couple of exact copies in my gallery early on in my stamping adventures (mostly because I was proud that I could pull it off), but since then I never even MAKE exact duplicates, lol. I'm lucky if I find time to make anything at all, for starters, and don't want to waste the available time looking at everyone else's creations.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I post cards I case. I give credit. Sometimes my creativity is in a slump and I need that inspiration. I love it when one of my cards is cased. I'm happy to inspire others.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,933 Likes on 2,198 Posts

I post cases and give credit if I know where I saw it. If I don't remember, I will say it is a case so that everyone understands that I was inspired by someone else. I will do an exact case if I am lucky to have the items the original artist used and I get very excited when that happens! Its rare. If I didn't post cases, my gallery wouldn't be half of what it is! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I pretty much HAVE to get inspiration from others' cards. I need their creativity. I would very much appreciate it if someone could give instructions how to post a link to the inspiration card. If you do, please don't use the word "just..." I am very limited in my computer knowledge, and nothing is intuitive or simple about it. If I could post a link I would feel better about CASEing others creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If they want to give credit it's a polite thing to do but, if not, I agree with the others - not worth getting your knickers in a twist over...
I dunno. If I had work worth copying, I wouldn't appreciate people blatantly disregarding my intellectual property rights by CASEing my work and not giving me any mention at all. I might not have actionable damages, but that doesn't mean I don't have rights.

People seem to think that because stuff is on the internet, it's free for the taking and in the public domain. It's not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,078 Likes on 828 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I pretty much HAVE to get inspiration from others' cards. I need their creativity. I would very much appreciate it if someone could give instructions how to post a link to the inspiration card. If you do, please don't use the word "just..." I am very limited in my computer knowledge, and nothing is intuitive or simple about it. If I could post a link I would feel better about CASEing others creations.
At the most basic, this is what to do.
Have two tabs/windows open, one with the uploader, one with the card that inspired you.
When you get to page two of the upload process, you can paste the address of the card that inspired you into the write-up box.
Go back to the tab with the inspiration card.
Put your cursor in the browser address bar and select/highlight ALL the text in there.
Choose copy, and then go back to your write-up box in the gallery uploader and choose paste. (There's a slight variation in how these commands work between browsers and also depending on whether you like to use the mouse or keyboard shortcuts, so it's hard to be 100% specific).
That's the most basic. You can have it looking prettier by saying "I was inspired by THIS card by xyz" where THIS is a clickable link, but that requires a little more user input. Just ask or PM me if you want that extra step!

I rarely CASE, but when I do, I too upload and give credit. In the recent VSN I was totally inspired for one challenge by a card I'd seen in Inspiration Challenge the previous week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I dunno. If I had work worth copying, I wouldn't appreciate people blatantly disregarding my intellectual property rights by CASEing my work and not giving me any mention at all. I might not have actionable damages, but that doesn't mean I don't have rights.

People seem to think that because stuff is on the internet, it's free for the taking and in the public domain. It's not.
I was thinking more about the CASEing as in Copy And Selectively Edit, as opposed to Copy And Steal Everything... If you're inspired by something, credit is polite. If you make an exact duplicate, credit should definitely be given - legal issues or no..

If you can't remember where you saw what you duplicated or who you copied exactly, then say that. Chances are whoever-it-was will pm or email you to let you know, so you can then give proper credit...

If someone makes something "inspired by" something I made and gives me credit, then it's definitely a warm fuzzy for me. If they don't, then I'm not going to get my undies in a bundle, like I said. If they exactly duplicate something and don't give credit, I'll probably mention it to them privately, as that is a bit ...annoying? ...hurtful? And if they're making money off my idea, I may be more put out than if they just post it in a gallery somewhere...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input!! I think I AM going to post more to my gallery...CASEd or not, I did make it and if I am pleased enough to snap a picture of it, might as well put it in there I am in this for fun, not glory
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

IMO, I honestly think that nothing is 100% original. If you think of something, whether you know you have never seen it or not, I am sure someone else has thought of it first.

I painted my kitchen cabinets red because I saw it in a show room. My sister in law painted her's red because I did. To me that was very flattering. After all I had 32 cabinet doors and it took me 2 weeks to get the exact color right, plus sanding, priming etc..... She had more doors than I did, because she even painted the red doors in the mud room and utility doors. If she took that much time, she must have really love my inspiration.

There are more things in life, worth worrying about than someone liking your cards so much that they would try to copy them. And unless they are copy righted they are not really yours anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
IMO, I honestly think that nothing is 100% original. If you think of something, whether you know you have never seen it or not, I am sure someone else has thought of it first.
I totally agree with this. Having said that, I had an occasion where someone liked a card I made, asked me for directions (which I provided), made the exact same card and posted it several places with no credit. Really? That's the kind of thing I was referring to... In fairness, when I contacted her she was very apologetic and nice and remedied the situation - no harm, no foul. We're friends now, even...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Post your work and be proud of it, regardless of where the idea came from, you still made yours.

I agree with the "nothing is 100% original, while I may not have been an active member here all that long I have been a stamper forever (as in decades) and have seen trends come and go a lot. Some have come, gone and repeated that cycle several more times. I have seen "new" things done in mags or online and thought to myself, "oh I remember when I used to do that".

I couldn't make an exact duplicate of something if I wanted to anyway, the creative part of me just doesn't work that way. When I see an idea that I want to use I probably have seen it several places and wouldn't know who to credit. Sort of the chicken or the egg thing, as in who was first. If I did copy someone's card knowingly I would certainly give them credit though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #19  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

If I case it mostly or fairly closely, I do not post to my gallery. Since I do a LOT of caseing, I have a very small gallery.........
If I am inspired by someone/a particular card, I do try to include the link in my description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Post it. You made it. Think of it this way, if this were sewing would you share your finished garment even if you used a pattern and sourced the exact same material as an inspiration piece? Of course you would, because you made it. Galleries are not a representation of "original" work they are a representation of work achieved.

Now, if you are being paid and/or reimbursed for original work then there are issues with representing someone else's work as your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Galleries are not a representation of "original" work they are a representation of work achieved.
Couldn't have said it better!!
Reply With Quote Likes