Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #201  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by allensmView Post
Here's my list,

wooden cassette box - holds distriss inks and copric markers when at home

Containers old old small disks use to be stored in - perfect for all those $1 acrylic stamps that are so cute.
These are my two favorites. I wish I could find a wooden cassette box. I keep looking. I found a plastic one, but the slots don't go all the way across, and the pads are smaller. I improvised with cardboard, but I want a better one.
I just love the idea for the acrylic stamps. I have several of these old cases; more than I have acrylic stamps!

My one idea is a clear container that grape tomatoes come in. They have a large size at Sam's. I take the stuff out of the bottom, decorate the top, and put ribbon scraps in it.
There are lots of holes, so each scrap can stick out of a different hole for quick use.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #202  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can't take credit for this but it is one of my favorite things. A paint can with the lid rubber cemented on the bottom and then a lazy susan on the lid. ( Can be bought at any hardware store) This makes the pain can spin. Then I got a garden tool holder that you would wear and put it around the can. I have a lot of little spaces for all my tools and the inside for lots of stuff. It is one of the best things I own for my scrapping and cardmaking. The second thing I did not see mentioned here was I use the box that your checks come in (the bottom is the most sturdy) for my reinkers and stickles. I wish I could find something really good for my punches. I am a toolaholic so I have lots of punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #203  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't recall if it's in an earlier post, but a pocketed shoe bag that hangs over the door makes for great punch storage.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #204  
Embossing Fanatic

This might have been mentioned too...I use those 7 day pill holders with the flip top lids. They come in all sizes but I always get the largest size I can find. These are perfect for storing brads & eyelets, are see through and a bit easier to handle than the larger plastic compartment containers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #205  
Compulsive Stamper

Default pill holders

I use those too...great idea for the brads and eyelets.
I use mine for jewelry findings (clasps, crimps, rings, toggles, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #206  
Vintage Vixen

I use a big medium grit nail file, purchased at Sally Beauty Supply, to distress metal embellishments, to clean up the edges of some papers (you know--some cheap papers just don't cut clean no matter how sharp your blade is), and to make scratches on images to make them look distressed. And if I snag a nail while crafting, it comes in handy for fixing that, too. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #207  
Glitter Queen

Wooden silverware trays designed to use inside a drawer. I hung them horizontally over my work table, and all my embossing powders fit quite nicely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #208  
Insane Embellisher

I bought 2 really pretty hooks (half price of course!) I nailed them to the wall by my craft table and hung a narrow vintage curtain rod on them. It works perfect for putting all my spools of ribbon on and looks pretty.
At a garage sale I found a wooden 5 foot tall birdhouse with flowers on the sides that was originally a VCR holder or a narrow little bookcase. It has 6 shelves filled with Sizzix dies in it now. I painted the flowers to match my room.
My very favorite is the same thing someone else mentioned: a pampered chef tool organzier that spins found at a garage sale also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #209  
Hardware Hotshot

I really only have one thing but it is special. The table I stamp/create at is an antique drop-leaf table that was in our kitchen as a child that we ate at every day...I also have the chairs. It it an awesome memento from my childhood. IT's actually quite small but I love it for creating on just the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #210  
Polyshrink Goddess

I purchased a small black mesh pop out square container at the Container Store. It fits just right to hold my cuttlebug EF's. I like containers that are lightweight that I can grab and lift easily. My DH and I wandered around the store with an EF in hand until I found something that suited me. It was really inexpensive too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #211  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
I don't recall if it's in an earlier post, but a pocketed shoe bag that hangs over the door makes for great punch storage.

I just purchased one of these and haven't hung it yet. What do you with smaller punches?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #212  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BilliePamView Post
I just purchased one of these and haven't hung it yet. What do you with smaller punches?
I put multiples in one pocket.

I do also have a plastic gutter that holds my punches as well. I have LOTS of punches and the overflow is on a shelf. Those are so difficult to find.

Soon, I hope to put up some curtain rods and hang them that way. I will probably still keep the shoe bag but may turn the gutter over to additional ribbon storage. I already have two going for that because I also have LOTS of ribbon. I have LOTS of a lotta stuff!!!:rolleyes:

In fact, my friend snowcountry311 is coming to help me organize soon. I need the help.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #213  
Kookie Creator

I like the little jars that pimentos come in. They are nice for holding small brads, or for holding water for water coloring.
I love this thread!
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #214  
Kookie Creator

OH! no! A senior moment! I had posted to this thread before, and already mentioned those little jars.
Sorry!
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #215  
Rubber Obsessor

i keep my ribbon rolls in the cheap wooden box that the clementine orange (sm easy to peel oranges.) are found in they may be found in cardboard or the cheap fakish wood box. I usually have room for two rolls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #216  
Inking Addict

Oh, Lots of neat ideas on here! I'll have to try some out in my scraproom!

Okay, ladies, tell me what you could do with this item. I have 2 plastic boxes- different sizes that I found while clearing out some desk supplies. they used to hold the floppy discs and the smaller disks for the computers pre 2000 ( ancient for some!:confused They have dividers and a hard bottom and a see through top and a locking key. They are at least 6 inches long.

What papercrafting treasures could I use it for? any ideas for me? :-D thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #217  
Insane Embellisher

Geezo pete! After reading all these ideas, I got to thinking about my almost COMPLETELY repurposed room/storage. I'm thrifty, and spent some money on new flooring and paint last year. So, everything else needed to be quick, easy, and cheap! I like bargain hunting too!

My main table is a drafting table my FIL made & didn't need anymore, and gave to me. My other table is my former kitchen table with fold down sides. I have an wooden office cabinet to hold my paper. I bought a bookcase at an auction for 1 dollar, repainted and leveled for my stamps and large accessories. I have another small "country craft show" shelf that I removed the country heart from, re attached the top, repainted, added rub ons, and found a coordinating shelf to add to the top from a package of 4 bottled paper flowers (cost for main shelf, 2 bucks). I use doll head clothes pins to wrap around some of my ribbon and store by colors in large mason jars. Buttons and paper flowers are sorted by colors in smaller mason jars and medicine jars. small slide out pencil boxes for .50 cents each @ walmart during back to school hold my markers by color group. A large bottle that I got with Prima flowers holds my paintbrushes. I have the pampered chef caddy for my tools. I also have a sewing tin I got from walmart clearance for 3 bucks that holds my embroidery threads. I use film canisters and small make up containers to store beads. I have a bath and body works basket and a small longaberger basket that holds my bic markers and prisma markers. I use a small tupperware container to paint with my reinkers and to hold baby oil for "gamsol" technique. I have a fishing lure organizer for my small scrap shapes, and a toolbox (for screws, nuts, bolts, etc) to store single stamps and other accessories.

WHEW! Thats all I can think of for now. There are some pics in my gallery and some on my blog if you want to look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #218  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOSSEEView Post

Okay, ladies, tell me what you could do with this item. I have 2 plastic boxes- different sizes that I found while clearing out some desk supplies. they used to hold the floppy discs and the smaller disks for the computers pre 2000 ( ancient for some!:confused They have dividers and a hard bottom and a see through top and a locking key. They are at least 6 inches long.

If it is what I am thinking it is - It sounds like the perfect place to keep cuttlebug dies and embossing folders organized. Or even some of the big shot dies.
My Little Stampin' Heaven - My blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 AM   #219  
Polyshrink Goddess

We have 27 nieces and nephews, so I make cards in bunches to send for birthdays. I was trying to find something to hold all of my cards with dividers, but everything was too small.

A men's size 13 shoe box (thanks to a nephew!) works wonderfully, with extra cardboad to make dividers for occasions (I have child birthday, adult birthday, love/anniv, get well/thinking of you, holidays, etc).

I used a cheap stand-up jewelry box from St. Vincent's to store my brads, eyelets, and buttons sorted by size (it has 6 drawers).

I use a binder with baseball card protector pages to store my studio g acrylic stamps.

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #220  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

How about for those cards that you make up in advance? The floppies, if I remember right, were about 5 inches or 5.5 inches and square (giving away my age here) I may still have a couple of those type of containers somewhere or I may have given them to the local thrift stores. I have seen those type of containers on the shelf, so I might pick up one when I go thrift shopping next (one of my favorite activities).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #221  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

I read somewhere on SCS that these are good for acrylic stamps. I think the smaller disc boxes are good for the dollar stamp sets from Michael's. I think the others are larger than the 5 x 5 discs, but it's a start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #222  
Insane Embellisher

Yesterday I finally got to repurpose an item I've had my eye on for about 7 years in our workshop but was too lazy to move because it was full of junk - a 6-drawer map cabinet! 4 drawers are about 3 inches tall, then 2 drawers are 5 inches tall.

I love it! It took some scrubbing, but it's clean and in my stamping room! I put punches in a drawer (with room for more!), another drawer has embellishment stuff, another drawer has pencils and chalks, etc., and all the drawers are now full!

It's what I call ugly military green, but who cares, it can be painted. I was able to eliminate a lot of small storage containers by using this cabinet and everything is within arm's reach now.

On top is my container of embossing folders and dies for my cuttlebug, and the cuttlebug and my glass cutting mat. Love it love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #223  
Stazon Splitcoast

My dear friend Michelle is doing a card a thon this thread Forums at Splitcoaststampers and her blog explain it. She has been feverishly searching out donations for even the littles things. I have been trying to help spread the word then recently she learned that her adhesive donator had to back out due to the economic situation. So now more than before any little thing will help. Please go read what it is all about. Super great cause.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #224  
Polyshrink Goddess

There's too many pages here for me to scroll down & see if it's already been listed so I'm just going to go for it. lol

My favorite repurposed item is an old woven placemat. I fold it over and use it to protect my table & fingers when embossing with the heat gun. I lay the paper down and hold it still in the furthest corner and heat away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #225  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a used but nice microwave cart and two cute night stands for a total of $15.00 where the top of the microwave cart had drop down leaves that spread out for more space. It has a drawer and two strong wire baskets and a bottom shelf. I store my Cuttlebug and my CB dies and embossing folders on the bottom shelf, my stamp cleaner and solution in a wire basket, and my ink pads and some Bic Markits in the other wire basket. The drawer I store my Prisma Pencil set and some other colored pencils. It's great! The top I put my old stationary card boxes where I store handy envelopes for my cards, all my Mason Jars where I store ribbons, my sponges for edging panels and sponging backgrounds--they go in dry and stay dry and look rather pretty!, I store lots of stuff on this space!
I love my Pampered Chef tool carasol where I store my tools and gel pens and rulers. I also have an old spice jar carasol where I store my brads and eyelets.
I use a baby food jar carasol for other embellishment storage.
I love pretty jars and carasols or lazy susans! I repurpose as much as I can! It's almost as fun as stamping. Well, almost!
I love the idea of 8 Track shelving units or VHS storage units for stamp pads! I will be going to the Thrift stores this weekend! I know I probably won't find these exact things, but I sure will have my eyes open for possibilities!
I love frugality! And in this economy who doesn't?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #226  
Mad Swapper

These also work great for single stamps. I organized mine by a theme per pocket. Worked quite well until DH decided he did not like it on the back of his office door. We share his office. We painted the doors and he thought the hooks would scratch the paint. Whatever!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #227  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After buying my first CB alphie set (for $19.00-yup, original price $79.00), I was looking for something to hold my extra letters. (I cut paper to fit a letter but sometimes they are too small and just cut extra letters at the same time.) I was wandering the medcine aisle on a nearby Walgreen's and saw a pill holder for a month's worth of pills. It has 28 divided sections (4x7=2 so I thought that would work and it does!! The CB alphie letters are not that big depending on the font you have so I have 2 now because found another alphie set on sale. (This time only 50% off)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #228  
Rubber Obsessor

These are some great ideas......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #229  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a metal door for a table with the cute curvy metal legs from Ikea
the metal door must be steel, so I can use magnets to secure stuff to the surface
... I have a kid....so this helps...
and he plays magnets up on the underside...while I stamp...

I have 3 more doors (teak-y not antique-y...lol!) that I made into a screen that no longer has a job upstairs...
but I will be bringing that down to the stampcave since I don't have finished walls...
I will get some shoe pockets and put them on those doors!
plus I can screen my mess of hoarded recyclables...
yay me!

I like tins especially
and I have a huge amount of octagonal quality street candy tins that I plan to paint, pierce and stack into a rotating ribbon tower...
I just need to wait until summer to spray them all down...
I got them at our local reuseit center so I didn't even hafta eat all the candy!

the lady with international coffee tins...:
she should use the lids as luggage tags, just sew together and insert an ATC style embellished cards to identify packpacks and such...
good for buspasses for schoolkids... durable!
and pierce the tins and wire them together either in a tight grid or offset in a random, funky way to make shallow pigeonhole shelves for reinkers and pretty stamps for display...
most have safe rims that would have a little lip to keep stuff in...
maybe even smaller stamp pads like stazon and versa...

I love tins so they get used for everything! all it takes is a label!
and with the crop o dile all it takes to make a luminary is a soup can!

oh !
and today is the day I pick up an old abandoned cardstore fixture! yay!
it is for rolled wrap and flat wrap but i am sure that i can fit it with shelves to hold cs or tools or something... it seems very sturdy!
sure to be a hit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #230  
Die Cut Diva

I just got 2 10 drawer flat files. LOVE'EM You can't believe how much stuff they hold! I have wanted one forever but they are usually big bucks. I found these 2 on Craigs list cheap so I got both of them for far less than 1 usually costs. They needed some work but DH happily did the work and they are awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #231  
Hardware Hotshot

bttt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #232  
Kookie Creator

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #233  
Hardware Hotshot

i'm loving milk jug plastic in the bigshot...
(my 6y-o drinks so much milk....
he is like a teenager!)
it looks like thick vellum...

also I was thinking since I have so many each week, I should see if they would make a good organizing tool...
I'm going to experiment with making openings in the sides and using them like baskets for my new knitting /yarn stash and using the flat mostly square-ish bottoms for drawer dividers for undies and socks...
it is neutral-colored and foodsafe so it should be pretty reliable
and it looks like the same stuff the organizer store sells anyway!

Last edited by charming; 04-01-2009 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: xghjsygjkst
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #234  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

I use a metal mesh cutlery tray beside my work area that holds my scissors, bone folder, tweezers, pens, pencils, erasers, distressing tool, Quickie Glue Pen, etc. There's also a larger section that holds a tall upright metal cutlery cup (the kind used by restaurants) where I put my ATG gun. Also a section where I inserted a tin that holds my other glues (Zig glue pen, Crafters Ultimate (turned upside down so the glue is always ready to come out of the bottle), toothepicks for applying the glue, etc.) I have a 2-tiered lazy susan that holds a tape dispenser, spray bottles, a Xyron 150, Stickles, a tall medicine bottle that contains baby wipes, etc. Plus I have 4 metal pails that I got on clearance at Walmart that contain my Prisma pencils, watercolor pencils, decorative scissors and paint brushes. Everythings's in easy reach of my work area, which is a 4-foot square island in the middle of my studio. The island is made out of those stackable Sterlite drawers - 4 wide by 3 high, 12 on opposing sides of the island, so I have 24 drawers in all. The top if made out of 1-inch thick plywood, which I've covered with 2 quilter's self-healing mats. A very sturdy workspace that cleans up very easily.

One half of my island is used for my work area, the other half holds my Cricut and my Cuttlebug. Plus my studio is a converted bedroom, with closets along one entire wall, to which my hubby added shelves, so I have storage galore. Now, why do I need more storage room? I think it's time to quit buying and start using what I already have. No more hoarding or collecting for me!

Last edited by uncbballfan; 04-08-2009 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #235  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Linda -

Wow, love your design for your
workspace! Very creative. Will have to remember this
if I ever do mine over. Thanks for
sharing your ideas.
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #236  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ideas posted by Charming:
pierce the tins and wire them together either in a tight grid or offset in a random, funky way to make shallow pigeonhole shelves for reinkers and pretty stamps for display...

I would love to see this! Have you done this, do you have a picture?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #237  
Glitter Queen

I have one of those I bought when our local high school moved to a new building. I wanted it because I love books and libraries. I had no idea what to use it for, but now I know what to do with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #238  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshaspeck50View Post
I have a ton of international coffee tins with the plastic lids - any ideas anyone?
The M's dollar clear stamps would store nicely in there on their acrylic sheets or maybe Sizzlet alphas? Decorate with patterned paper and label with contents with a scalloped tag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #239  
Glitter Queen

I love using photo mounting tape in place of pop dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #240  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
ideas posted by Charming:
pierce the tins and wire them together either in a tight grid or offset in a random, funky way to make shallow pigeonhole shelves for reinkers and pretty stamps for display...

I would love to see this! Have you done this, do you have a picture?
check out page 151 of SU Catty!
they did up a lil desktop one with dsp...
adorable!

I've seen bigger though in a mangarage... with coffeecans..
nailed into wall I think...
no pic ...
just imagine a wall of honeycomb pigeonholes.. I joked that he must think he was the queenbee!
didn't crack a smile...

if you are born under a lucky star,
you will sometimes fall in love with a product whose packaging tube fits in a "bored of it " garagesale dumpster dive winerack
so it is a made in heaven stamping storage freebiee!

hth! gl!
Reply With Quote Likes