Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #81  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of my reasons are listed above. I certainly buy enough SU! that I have considered it..but not seriously.

I don't want the commitment to the quarterly minimum, to have to "sell" myself and/or the product to make the minimum, I've been trying to cut our household expenses so the $300/qtr isn't what I want for me..I have sooo much stuff I can't justify buying that much

I love SU! but I don't want to be exclusive in one company. I mostly sb (with some cards and those I pretty much only use SU!stuff). I am a sb teacher at our local M's and I don't like being tied to only their products (even if the line is increasing) to make my pages but I have so little sb time that I don't want to use other products cuz then I can't use whats done as a demo. (I'm quiting M's this week..I've tried to quit for months and they keep talking me into staying but no is for real now)

I want my hobby to not be work anymore. My life is hectic and crazy (more so than usual right now) and I don't want the pressure/commitment..

besides this way my demo has no trouble with her minimums and she is a dear friend

HTH you a little Andrea
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #82  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I have watched this thread with interest. ;)

Some of you have very valid reasons as to why NOT being a demonstrator is your preference.

By the same token, I am also observing a number of misconceptions that may be giving some folks reason to hesitate, even tho they DO want to become a demonstrator, and in some cases, I would guess a few have already determined not to become one based on one or more of these misconceptions?

If you are genuinely interested, but have concerns, I urge you to sit down with your demonstrator and get all the facts, to help you make a well-informed decision. I like seeing things outlined clearly in print, personally speaking, when I make a decision of this nature. I also prefer discussing it with someone who will provide me open, honest answers based on factual information, as opposed to offering me big signing "bonuses" and whatnot--but that's another topic for another day.

If your demonstrator cannot sit down with you and discuss it or is not interested in recruiting, perhaps she can refer you to her upline, or a fellow demonstrator.

This is great advice

Especially the part about the demo being interested in recruiting or not recruiting. I have been with a couple of other direct sales companies, and it is a miserable experience to have an upline who doesn't help or even seem to care. Currently, I have an awesome upline - she has become a good friend too - I love the support and encouragement i am given. SO it is an excellent idea to sit down and talk with them, see if they are a right fit for you - to some it may seem trivial, however it really isn't!!!!

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #83  
The Digi-Freak

No interest in being a demo! My sister is, I get the discount and the perks with no work!

And I love to mix and match companies and products. I'm not exclusive at ALL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #84  
Gabfest Goddess

Barbara, thanks for sharing, I say go for it if you want to, if you know its not your cup of tea then just keep stampin' happy!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #85  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Stamper
What in heaven's name is the matter with me? My % comparison was way off. I knew what I was saying in my head but when I put figures down I totally invalidated my theory! Help. What am I trying to say? If you know, can you fill in the blanks? Super duh. I'm tired.
I totally get what you're saying here. You're basically saying that *if* SU sells say, an EK punch for $9.99 but as a Demo you get 20% off, that makes the punch $8; whereas another retailer might list the exact same punch for $13.50, offer a 40% coupon, but you're actually paying $10.80, which is more than SU's retail price.

BUT here's the thing. In almost every instance, the accessories that SU sells are the ones that are marked up too high, so that the discounted price (after the 20%) is sitll MORE than most e-tailers as well as retailers. I know this because I've purchased all the exact same SU punches (they're either EK or Fiskars) for significantly less, and oftentimes there's no shipping charges. Same for brads, eyelets, even the Hodge Podge kit, which is just repackaged MM embellishments that you can get way cheaper online and sometimes at Michaels or AC Moore. Sooo, in effect, it's my opinion that SU is often guilty of marking up to then mark down.

The thing is, I LOVE SU, love my demo, love my crafting, so I'll remain a loyal customer. I have so much fun! The pads are the best, the stamps are the best, and the ideas I get from my Demo and here are fantastic, so I'll stick to it. It still remains to be seen whether or not I'll take the plunge and become a Demo. I've been giving it serious thought based on the $$$ I spend. But this issue is what's holding me back.

HTH
Pam

Last edited by *pamster*; 05-05-2006 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #86  
Polyshrink Goddess

Simple I live in the UK. I would be a demo in an heartbeat so they better come on over!
Caz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #87  
Matboard Maniac

I am chiming in again to say that when I was prepared to purchase everything all at once I found that the only thing that I was willing to purchase from SU were the items that were matched (cs, markers, ink pads, etc.) Everything else, and I mean everything else, is priced higher, and sometimes much higher (the Stamp-a-ma-jig is a perfect example) than I could get it from JoAnn's or elsewhere and I didn't pay for shipping from the other places. Though our budget could easily handle my spending $300.00 a qtr., my conscious could not. So, for me, it makes more sense not to be a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #88  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by *pamster*
I agree 100% with this. I have every SU punch - just not the SU private labeled ones which cost on avg. about 40% more than I can get them elsewhere.

In general it seems to me SU charges a huge premium just because it has the SU branding.

-Pam
This was one of the main reasons it took me so long to decide to be a demonstrator (which I am still not..waiting for a sign up special or the new catty, whichever comes first!) I have been stamping/scrapbooking for years now and I have soooo many things that are the exact same thing SU! carries, just not black with the SU! brand listed on it.

Like the punches. I have the EK Success Whale of a Punch circle and square, which I will need to sell in order to purchase the SU! ones to demo. I have small circle punches that are EK Success as well, yet they do not say SU! and I therefore can't demo them until I sell them off and buy the SU! branded ones.

It just irks me a tad that SU! advertises "exclusive" accessories, yet some of their punches and other tools are not exclusive in the least, KWIM? You can go into almost any scrapbook store or even some of the larger box stores and purchase EK Success punches for less.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

BUT here's the thing. In almost every instance, the accessories that SU sells are the ones that are marked up too high, so that the discounted price (after the 20%) is sitll MORE than most e-tailers as well as retailers.
I don't know if I would go so far as to say "TOO" high. I think it depends on where you shop. BTW -- SU! doesn't say you HAVE to only buy those things from them. You can't demo it if it isn't SU!, but you can certainly own whatever you want. I have a ton of non-SU! paper and accessories.

Quote:

Same for brads, eyelets, even the Hodge Podge kit, which is just repackaged MM embellishments that you can get way cheaper online and sometimes at Michaels or AC Moore.
Hm. I don't think I have ever found the same EXACT embellishments from the Hodgepodge kit elsewhere. I even bought the MM brads thinking they were the same, but SU!'s are actually longer. That said, again, you don't have to buy them from SU! unless you want to demo them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by florascrap
It just irks me a tad that SU! advertises "exclusive" accessories, yet some of their punches and other tools are not exclusive in the least, KWIM?
I do not recall seeing/hearing SU! ever call the accessories exclusive. Colors and stamps? Yes. Accessories, no. If I'm wrong, please tell me where I can see that in writing and I will be happy to write a letter to SU! pointing that very fact out to them. That said, there are a few punches that I have yet to see in a regular store, like the word window. But then, I buy from myself more often that anyone else anymore. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #90  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
I do not recall seeing/hearing SU! ever call the accessories exclusive. Colors and stamps? Yes. Accessories, no. If I'm wrong, please tell me where I can see that in writing and I will be happy to write a letter to SU! pointing that very fact out to them. That said, there are a few punches that I have yet to see in a regular store, like the word window. But then, I buy from myself more often that anyone else anymore. ;)
I just quickly looked through some Stampin' Up! material I have in my craft room...the stampin' techniques book on the first page says, "We are excited to share our exclusive line of decorative stamp sets and accessories for greeting cards, scrapbooking, craft projects, and home d�cor!"

I believe I have seen this in other promotional material that Stampin' Up! puts out as well. It's not a huge thing that makes me hate SU! or anything (obviously, since I am going to be signing up to demonstrate the product ) And I agree with you, that some of the punches truly are exclusive, such as the word window and I don't believe I have ever seen the paper piecing punch before in a store either. I just hate that I have to pay more than I paid originally to replace my big circle and square punches just so I can have a black one with the SU! logo on it, especially since they are the exact same thing and made by the same company. Does this make sense?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #91  
Glitter Guru

Well said, everyone! I agree with just about all everyone has posted on both sides of the issue. I was signed up for a bit because there was a great deal and I wanted to get the starter kit, but I just could not do the minimum sales. Well, maybe I could have if I really tried, but I have no desire to really Demo, just hobby. I would really love to sign up again as a hobby Demo. My Demo told me SU once had a program kind of like CTMH Jr. Demo, but they dropped it. Does anyone know why or if they will ever consider bringing it back? NOt just idle curiosity--if they did have a program like that I would sign back up in a heartbeat, but just for me. My sis-in-law is a Demo and loves to do workshops, but my Demo is so stressed out. She says she doesn't get to have a lot of stamp time to just do it for the joy of it. Anyway, I love SU's stuff and I'll always be a great costomer (unless they do bring on the Jr. Demo thing, then I'll be my own best costomer) Thanks all for the post and all of your input on everything--this is such a great site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #92  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
Hi... this is an interesting thread... I just wanted to clairify this; You get minimum 20% "instant Income" (up to 40% as of 7/07) as a demo... as long as you are meeting the minimums ($300 a quarter). You get minimum 30% "Instant Income" your first Workshop order placed in the first 90 days. This is a one time only deal... but the 20-40% is forever. Make sense?
I completely understand the first time order 30% discount, and the usual 20% discount. What is the 40%? Is that if you have met a minimum dollar value in sales within a certain time? Is it if you have "x" number of people under you? I guess I don't quite get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #93  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Sassy, good point about duplicates. I'm a true hobby demo, I don't do workshops, and if someone wanted to sign up and asked me, I'd refer them to my upline. I DO get together with 3 friends to stamp and I DO show them things, sort of like a workshop, but not quite.

One of them said to me, If I wanted to do a workshop/party, she'd have one for me. I declined. She was only offering for ME, not because she wanted one (I asked her, cos she could ask my upline).

DH was surprised when I told him I declined. But I pointed out that to have just ONE workshop, I'd need supplies, I'd be worried about "my stuff" and I don't have duplicates of anything. The investment, for me, seemed not worth it, unless I wanted to try to have MORE workshops.

But I seriously want to keep it to JUST ME and my few friends, stamping at MY house.

Julie, to your point - when I was considering it, I was so hesitant to talk to my demo, because I didn't want the sales pressure before I knew the info. I was lucky enough to meet another demo on another board, she lives in Louisiana, and she was so happy to answer my questions. And no, she wasn't under the impression I'd sign with her. She really was the one I still thank for my decision to be a demo.

As for accessories - sometimes I have gotten stuff BEFORE SU! carried it. If I show it to my friends, I point out that my item, while not SU!, is similar and is in the catalog if they want to get it.

I am also guilty of using some retired sets with them, when I know there's a similar new set. For example, I have the old Harlequin, and have used it, and pointed out that Print Pattern was similar. (And they ordered it.) Stuff like that. Just stamping with friends. I love it. I'm very happy at this level.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been a very interesting thread to follow. I'd like to share my reason for becoming a demo.

1. I'm a crafter, not an artist. There are many stamp companies I love and I have bought hundreds of beautiful stamps over the years. However, my cards and other hand crafted items weren't very good. Beautiful stamps in the hands of someone with little creativity or skill is not a pretty picture! To be honest, there are some stamp companies whose designs I LOVE -- I don't expect one company to corner the market on the best in everything. However, SU has the catalogs, the websites, the galleries full of so many awesome samples. Their stamp sets coordinate with other sets, the accessories coordinate, etc. The cardstock is simply the best and it matches the ink! For someone who isn't super creative or talented, this is such a relief! My work went from pretty bad to not so bad since I started only buying SU.

2. I was spending too much in a random fashion. You think you save money with your 40% off coupon? I didn't. Sure, I always used it to buy a pricey Take Ten magazine or Sizzix or some other must have. Did I ever walk out of the store without buying at least $40 worth of other stuff? No. Michaels knows what it is doing with those coupons. I am addicted and cannot go into one of these stores without giving in! Plus, I would buy a stamp, a pack of patterned vellum, a brass stencil, etc. come home with the stuff and not have a clue what to do with it. I had a Sizzix for 2 years and not once used it on a card or any other item. Everything I made with it was a disaster. If SU sold it, and I could CASE stuff made with it, I'd be able to use it.

3. Since I decided to stick to SU, I figured becoming a demo was a no brainer. I like being able to order online and use my credit card. I like getting the discount. I'm not a dope. I know I could drive to Michaels with the 40% coupon and buy my versamark pad there, but there's more to the SU compensation plan than the 20% discount. If you want to know more about what you can earn by way of cash and free products, ask your demo. Don't pm me, I'm not recruiting!! (Hint -- I spend less now than when I was going to all the local craft stores.)

4. I like meeting other demos, I like getting the sneak peak at SU products and the SU magazine. I no longer get any other magazines -- too much money down the drain. I like meeting customers too -- it is so much fun to connect with other like minded folks!

5. Finally, I'm going to the convention baby!! I'm leaving my wonderful husband and kid and my live in mom and I'm outta here for 5 whole days (got to go early!!).

No matter what, it is just important that your hobby be enjoyable -- whether you stamp on leaves or vellum or tissue paper. Just relax and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #95  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Stamper
What in heaven's name is the matter with me? My % comparison was way off. I knew what I was saying in my head but when I put figures down I totally invalidated my theory! Help. What am I trying to say? If you know, can you fill in the blanks? Super duh. I'm tired.

I haven't finished reading the thread, so someone may have already done this, but.....
Here's an example of what I think you are trying to say.

Let's say SU is selling a heat tool for $30. At a 20% discount, a demo would pay $24 for the item.

Now, let's say Mike's has a new heat tool, priced at $40. With the usual 40% coupon, I would pay $24 for the heat tool.

We each end up paying the same price. At SU, it's 20% off a lower price. At Mike's it's 40% off a higher price. It all comes out in the wash. You pay the same price.

(These examples are completely ficticious......I hope I spelled that right.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by florascrap
Does this make sense?
Absolutely! Even though I am a demo, all of my square and circle punches are Whale of a Tail punches because 1) there are more sizes available and 2) they nest perfectly. No guess work. Can't demo them, but I use them all the time (even on swaps with other demos -- gasp!).

As for the "exclusive" thing, I think the wording of that sentence you quoted is misleading. I'm not sure they mean it to be, but I can see where someone could argue the point that exclusivity is implied. Interesting point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #97  

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlasak
I was gung ho.. ready to sign.. then I started thinking when the retired ist came out.. Every year they retire 1/3 of thier sets.. That really bothered me for some reason.. I mean - they basically are saying - these are not worthy- they need to go- so why did I buy them in the first place.. I think once a eyar is a bit much.... As a customer I can tell myself I like them and I will use them.. as a demo I may like them but know I need to be current and get the newer ones.. so that means taking the time to sell off the ones I have (but only at the perfect time so as not to cause a lawsuit) or keep my collection growing. I also have been looking at my spending and SU has stamps and paper and ink but a meak attempt at accessories... and aside from the ribbon I think many of the accessories can be purchased elsewhere for less.. I am just now looking at the bigger picture.. I love to stamp - I love to scrap- but $300 exclusive to SU may be a bit overwhelming.. SO that holds me on the fence.. Plus with the discount - once you add back in shipping and tax its really not really a discount considering I could have the freedom to go elsewhere with 40% coupons.. Just some thoughts that are keeping me back.. Ohh and the cost for catalogs too.. YIKES! Its alot of $$$
I just wanted to address the retired list.

If they did NOT retire 1/3 of their sets every year, demos would be in an uproar. Look at it this way - most of the retired sets have been in the catty for more than one year.

Honestly, the people that are demos are addicted to stamping and want NEW stuff. I'm looking forward to a lot of new sets this year! I have what I want from this catty. There wasn't enough new stuff last summer, and I've been stamping for 8 years!!! And I'm just a hobby demo!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #98  
danne4

Default Another 2 cents worth....Is the discount really 20%? eBay demos?

Quote:

Let's say SU is selling a heat tool for $30. At a 20% discount, a demo would pay $24 for the item.

Now, let's say Mike's has a new heat tool, priced at $40. With the usual 40% coupon, I would pay $24 for the heat tool.
Now... add tax to the SU item just like the store. Then add 10% shipping to the item. Your 20% discount just dwindled down to 10%. It has been a whie since I placed an order, but if I remember correctly you pay tax on shipping as well. Demonstrators have to pay 10% shipping just like all the customers. I am sure there will be plenty of responses about saving gas because it comes to your door and all that and that the shipping is reasonable. It just bothers me that so many demos push the discount. The discount is really not a big deal. The hostess benefits are better than the 20% discount. As a demo when you hold your own workshops your the hostess, you get the benefits. I did not join for the 10% discount, I wanted the freebies. But, I can still get the freebies now and I do not have to share my toys. I do not have to worry about spending $300.00 to keep my business running and now I don't have to get upset when I see all the demos selling stuff out on eBay.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by danne4
Now... add tax to the SU item just like the store. Then add 10% shipping to the item. Your 20% discount just dwindled down to 10%.
So you, as a customer, make a $150 order. And I, as a demo make the same order.

I pay (using my local tax, etc.) roughly $145 for that order and get all the same hostess benefits you do.

You pay roughly $178 and get the hostess benefits.

Gosh, with the $33 I just saved, I can go out to eat or buy more stuff! Plus, mine is all tax deductible, while yours is just a hobby. My discount didn't dwindle because as a customer, I would have paid what YOU paid. Plus I get all sorts of other demo goodies that most customers don't get.

ETA: And at the end of the month, I get a rebate check, too, of a percentage of my sales for that month AND the sales of my downline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #100  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runamok
My Demo told me SU once had a program kind of like CTMH Jr. Demo, but they dropped it. Does anyone know why or if they will ever consider bringing it back?
I've been with the company 9 years. I honestly don't recall there ever being such a program during these last 9 years, but there might have been one prior to my signing on. If there was, this is the first reference to it I've ever heard mentioned. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

[quote=......ETA: And at the end of the month, I get a rebate check, too, of a percentage of my sales for that month AND the sales of my downline.[/quote]

And that rebate is the source of the "40%" referred to above. The "instant income" is the initial 20% discount the demo receives when placing the order. Then there is what's called "Volume Rebate," basically commission, on sales amount each month. The higher the volume, the higher the percentage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #102  

Interesting thread. Getting back to OP, I am one of those large order customers. I have easily made the minimums, for over a year. HOWEVER, I will not become a demo.

Why not:
1. I would have to share my stuff: I am basically a selfish person. I go to stamping club, and watch the other members mess up my demo's beautiful things (forgetting to clean stamps between inks, misusing cutters, dropping embossing powders and glitter, dropping chalks and watercolor crayons, getting ink on stamp blocks, etc, etc), and I get rather sick to my stomach. I would not be able to handle it with the grace that my demo has. (and it's hard to sell to people after you have yanked your toys rudely out of their hands ;) )

2. I don't like demo-ing. My Darling Demo asked me to show how to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig (I ended up not showing it--she did it) to our group. Seriously considered not showing up at group that month.

3. Why pressure myself with paperwork and taxes and recordkeeping. YUCK!! I already do enough of that with DH's home business. I don't need more.

So those are the three big ones. It has nothing to do with $$, but everything to do with selfishness, basically! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #103  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by danne4
Now... add tax to the SU item just like the store. Then add 10% shipping to the item. Your 20% discount just dwindled down to 10%.
Actually, since customers have to pay the 10% shipping too, my discount is still 20% off what the customer pays after shipping... plus its tax deductable.

Back to the OP, I signed on because I wanted the benfits so I would spend less making my wedding album. I have a customer who spends about $200 a month with me. I mentioned the idea of her becoming her own demo, but she said she would rather pay for the service I provide (ordering, delivering, and I mount her sets) than the hassle of doing it herself. She doesn't want to do workshops or anything, just play! I completely understand, am and defiantely greatful to have her as a customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #104  
danne4

What is basically comes down to is this...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #105  
danne4

Quote:

I completely understand, am and defiantely greatful to have her as a customer.
This is what it comes down to. If you have a great customer, let them be a customer. People have their reasons why they do not want to be a demo. Some people really do not care what the benefits are, or the savings. Some people enjoy stamping just to enjoy it. They don't care how much it costs or how much they can save.

So when you have a customer like this... enjoy it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #106  
Insane Embellisher

Very good question OP - I'm a hobby demo and plan to stay as long as I meet my minimums. I thought I would lose it over a year ago when I was forced to move from Ohio to Texas (love it here though - miss all my stampin buddies) and lose my customer base. Somehow some of my old customers and me keep me at my minimums.

If a set is priced at $26.95 in the catty, I as a demo pretty much pay $26.95 by not having to pay shipping or tax as that about equals 20% (okay 18.25%).

If I were not a demo I would probably save a lot of money for the reason that I wouldn't spend it so often because I can just order it myself. If I had to think about it, write it down and call someone or e-mail - it would take more motivation. But would I actually order from someone - hmmm.... people sell or trade their stamps at retail price or below on this board or other boards. Often times with shipping included I can find good deals on sets that are cheaper to buy from someone else than from myself as a demo. I try to buy more than one set from a person so I can save on shipping as well. I do find stuff on eBay that I want - retired that is cheaper to buy from them than from myself. So as a bargain hunter I often find better deals buying them from others than myself. I also find joy in finding a good deal.

I spend money on mini cattys and giving out regular cattys and other supplies that I could put towards my purchases instead - so paying for supplies and give aways is a cost you may not think about. Sometimes if you are a hobby demo with a few customers-it doesn't pay to keep sending out those minis and such, but I do because they are family or friends that still order from me.

If I were not a demo I could actually SELL my current sets on eBay if I so chose to. When I want to get rid of a set I try all the boards to get rid of them and if it doesn't work, I could always sell my set on eBay. Being a demo I'm not allowed. I really hate that rule, totally understand why it's there (no need for a debate on that), but hate that a few bad demos that don't follow the rules, make it harder for everyone else to get rid of a set if they aren't using it anymore.

When I was more involved in classes I did use my SU! stuff more exclusively. Being a hobby demo I just don't care anymore - I use retired sets and non-SU! stuff, love them and don't feel bad for using them on something. I told myself one day it just doesn't matter - I stamp because I LOVE it and I shouldn't feel obligated to one company - so I don't. I use it all, and love it all. I do love SU!s artist and prefer most of their stamps, but there are some type of sets they don't have that other companies do. If I weren't a demo I would have never had that subconscious debate with myself. LOL!

Now being a demo - I LOVE having the information first - although this board doesn't leave the customers far behind. I LOVE the relationships I have formed with my wonderful demo friends - demos are usually obsessed stampers (so are customers) - so you know they understand where you are coming from. I loved going to convention and I love the demo side to SCS. There is a lot of good information to be shared there.

I would be sad to lose my demoship if I ever do.

Someone stated that you would have to spend $2000 to make up the cost of the kit - FYI you can pretty much pick your kit out. You can pick the sets you want as you can change out sets and marker colors etc. So if you were going to spend $200 on something anyways, you could probably put the majority of that order into your demo kit and then get the discount afterword. So I calculated that you get $271 of actual product for $200. (The remaing $90 is valued to the supplies you need). That's a better discount than what you actually get. By FAR! Just wanted to clarify some other train of thought for the demo kit.

So those are my 10 cents to the issue. :-)

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #107  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2die4
(and it's hard to sell to people after you have yanked your toys rudely out of their hands ;) )
This made me laugh out loud!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #108  
Glitter Guru

Thank you, Julie, your Royal Rubberness I admire anyone who is a good demo and plan on being a good customer for a good long while. Oh--incedently, I was born on Whidbey Island, what a beautiful place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #109  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlasak
I was gung ho.. ready to sign.. then I started thinking when the retired ist came out.. Every year they retire 1/3 of thier sets.. That really bothered me for some reason.. I mean - they basically are saying - these are not worthy- they need to go- so why did I buy them in the first place.. I think once a eyar is a bit much.... As a customer I can tell myself I like them and I will use them.. as a demo I may like them but know I need to be current and get the newer ones.. so that means taking the time to sell off the ones I have (but only at the perfect time so as not to cause a lawsuit) or keep my collection growing. I also have been looking at my spending and SU has stamps and paper and ink but a meak attempt at accessories... and aside from the ribbon I think many of the accessories can be purchased elsewhere for less.. I am just now looking at the bigger picture.. I love to stamp - I love to scrap- but $300 exclusive to SU may be a bit overwhelming.. SO that holds me on the fence.. Plus with the discount - once you add back in shipping and tax its really not really a discount considering I could have the freedom to go elsewhere with 40% coupons.. Just some thoughts that are keeping me back.. Ohh and the cost for catalogs too.. YIKES! Its alot of $$$
The way I (as a demo) look at the retiring sets is just like any retailer would look at something that may not sell very well. It's an item that has either lived a full life or is just not popular enough to stay in or is yesterday's style.... lots of reasons. Just like a clothier comes out with new styles annually. We all hear about the couture fashion shows in Europe. They're unveiling tomorrow's fashion. On a much, much smaller scale, SU is refreshing the catalog annually to keep up with trends. I have catalogs going back to about 1995 or so. Some of those sets in those old catalogs are just plain hideous... just like my hairstyle must have been back then!

Remember how everything was "stitched" and how the country theme was so prevalent in the catalog? Well, times just change and we have to change with it.

I think it is hard for some demos to buy new items annually but it is balanced by our ability to sell retired sets if we want to. I look at every set I buy as an investment that I can recoup some of my purchase price on. How many other crafts do you know of where you can sell your crafting item after you've used it? Our sets hold a very good resale value.

I would really steer away from thinking that SU was removing sets that aren't "worthy" but, instead, those that just may not sell. This IS a business and they have to keep it alive from year to year. That's all.

I am having a ball with this thread! Thanks for all the chit-chat about my question. Much appreciated!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #110  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Interesting thread. Getting back to OP, I am one of those large order customers. I have easily made the minimums, for over a year. HOWEVER, I will not become a demo.

Why not:
1. I would have to share my stuff: I am basically a selfish person. I go to stamping club, and watch the other members mess up my demo's beautiful things (forgetting to clean stamps between inks, misusing cutters, dropping embossing powders and glitter, dropping chalks and watercolor crayons, getting ink on stamp blocks, etc, etc), and I get rather sick to my stomach. I would not be able to handle it with the grace that my demo has. (and it's hard to sell to people after you have yanked your toys rudely out of their hands ;) )

2. I don't like demo-ing. My Darling Demo asked me to show how to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig (I ended up not showing it--she did it) to our group. Seriously considered not showing up at group that month.

3. Why pressure myself with paperwork and taxes and recordkeeping. YUCK!! I already do enough of that with DH's home business. I don't need more.

So those are the three big ones. It has nothing to do with $$, but everything to do with selfishness, basically! :mrgreen:
I love an honest woman! Great answers

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #111  

Quote:

Why not:
1. I would have to share my stuff: I am basically a selfish person. I go to stamping club, and watch the other members mess up my demo's beautiful things (forgetting to clean stamps between inks, misusing cutters, dropping embossing powders and glitter, dropping chalks and watercolor crayons, getting ink on stamp blocks, etc, etc), and I get rather sick to my stomach. I would not be able to handle it with the grace that my demo has. (and it's hard to sell to people after you have yanked your toys rudely out of their hands )

So those are the three big ones. It has nothing to do with $$, but everything to do with selfishness, basically!
Interestingly, your reasons were my reasons. And I don't demo. I had been stamping with a friend, and together we realized it would be so easy, so I signed up and share my discount with her.

Let me address yours, simply because it actually worked for me.

1. I don't share my stuff. In the last 18 months, we added another stamping friend into our group, so usually the 3 of us get together a couple times a month, and order when we want to. We are all addicts, they bring their own stuff, I don't like to share - it's great. We have communicated very well on the subject. I could do it alone at this point, actually, but as long as it's fun, I'll keep it up.

2. I don't demo either. Sometimes I play with a new technique and they play too. I have helped them learn some new techniques, like embossing paste (not an SU! thing, even), but I was always the one checking out new techniques first, anyway. That has nothing to do with my being signed up or not.

3. I print off my monthly activity statements* and put them in a file. I have made very little money on volume overrides, less than $200 a year, and no instant income.

The hard part is, saying no to friends who might say Gee, why don't you do a workshop, they might ask. In your case, you could just not TELL anyone.

Oh, the starter kit. I had most stuff, but I used it to replace some stuff, gave my sister some stuff, and my friend was in need of some stuff. All in all, it wasn't a loss for me.

We are both simply friends who stamp, and order enough every quarter that we figured we deserved a discount, and the only way to get it, was to sign up. I don't tell people I'm a demo, if asked, I refer them to my upline, whom I don't see much, actually. I'm not in the demo locator.

And I'm very happy.

*eta: This consists of one page per month. If you have downlines etc., there are more pages. For me, it's one sheet. Yay!

Last edited by Stampin Wrose; 05-05-2006 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #112  

Star, my first catty is the 97-88 one, and yes, it is SO country!!! That was never my style, so I'm very glad they changed. We should state that it wasn't ALL country style, but a lot of it was. But back in the mid 90s, the image of the crafter was very much rural. That's so changed now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #113  
Insane Embellisher

It is hard to share your stuff...you do all that work for a workshop and then you watch your customers stamp a black inked stamp in your yellow ink pad, it makes you want to cry, you bite your tongue, turn the other way and curse to yourself the same way you would if you just got a papercut. Man do those things hurt! LOL!

Most of those mistakes can be corrected, but all we demos ask is that if you ruin something that can't be fixed, please fess up and offer to pay for it. The demo may not make you pay for it, but it is nice to offer. Those supplies do cost us money and it's not cheap to replace and it does keep the costs of classes down if our stuff doesn't get ruined.

I haven't personally had this issue, but I've read it from other threads...I feel so bad when a demo loses $50 of stuff because a mom let her 10 year old stamp and didn't keep an eye on her...

I do agree that sets need to be retired. It took them FOREVER to retire BEAR HUGS that was such a country set - styles change, fads change and they just try to keep up with the market. All stamp companies retire stuff, not just SU! - what a smart marketing strategy. You can't blame them. I look at SB paper I bought 5 years ago and wonder why I bought it. The whole industry has come a long way in 5 years. It is sad to see some sets go, but the majority of the sets that are retired have been in the catty a few years. With the bad, comes the good - we love the NEW CATTY and playing with new stuff. Frankly, by the time the new catty does come out, I am ready for a new one and new stuff!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 04:10 AM   #114  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Why not:

:
I had to laugh at this because I am a demo but often feel like you on the above. Luckily I have never grabbed anything from anyone's hands although there have been times early on that I wanted to. And after a couple instances with kids at workshops meant for adults with adult projects (I really do like kids, I have 4 kids, but I don't want them unexpectantly at workshops with projects that I planned for adults ruining my stuff while the parent doesn't even notice), I made a firm rule of no kids at adult workshops.

I am obsessive/compulsive about not getting ink on my wood blocks. I learned shortly after becoming a demo about sealing the wood blocks. So I spray seal all my blocks (with 3 coats of varnish!) before mounting my sets. So all my sets from the past 5 years of demoing are still beautiful despite getting lots of use. And I have to say I have my stamp club really well trained. I will be moving soon and I keep joking with them that I will never find a group as well trained as they are. I turn around for a second and they will have cleaned my stamps and put everything back in its proper place and are ready for me to get out the next project! So I think with a little gentle nudging, you can get across the idea of taking care of the supplies (without coming across as selfish, at least I am hoping I have never come across like that). With new stampers and customers I approach it as giving them a few pointers on the proper care of their investment (while also meaning without saying it "please don't mess up my stuff!").
Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 04:56 AM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingcaz
Simple I live in the UK. I would be a demo in an heartbeat so they better come on over!
Caz
CAZ!!!!! Where have you been hiding???????? HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #116  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
I completely understand the first time order 30% discount, and the usual 20% discount. What is the 40%? Is that if you have met a minimum dollar value in sales within a certain time? Is it if you have "x" number of people under you? I guess I don't quite get it.
Volume rebate added to the given 20% discount can equal a total of up to 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #117  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Why not:

I've had more than a few customers tell me they feel the same! And, in all honesty, it took me a while to deal with it, as well.

Quote:

It's not for everybody. Sidebar: People are always surprised when they discover that I don't stamp with younger kids. I like kids--happen to have 2 of my own I adore! But, I don't like stamping with young children and I will not do it.

It has nothing to do with the children--they're fine!!! For me, however, it is the equivalent of being pecked to death by a duck. :shock:

My blood pressure skyrockets quite literally. I humbly and respectfully tip my hat off every day to anyone who works with young children!

But, the instant I mention "I don't enjoy working with young children." people look at me as if I am wicked. :rolleyes:

Quote:

I'll agree--it is the one aspect of being a demo'r that I thoroughly detest, and I'm lousy at it.

Quote:

So those are the three big ones. It has nothing to do with $$, but everything to do with selfishness, basically!
Selfish???? Naaaaaaah--honest and straightforward! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #118  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
It has nothing to do with the children--they're fine!!! For me, however, it is the equivalent of being pecked to death by a duck. :shock:
Ha ha ha!! This is me. I love my two kids, but I do not like working with children.

Quick story: When we still lived in FL, and my kids were starting school, my neighbor told me that once other parents found out I was a SAHM, they'd be begging me to watch their kids after school and on holidays. I said, it's okay, they won't want me to do it, she insisted. I finally said, "Well, I'll just tell them that I'll be happy to do it for a hundred dollars an hour." LOL She let me alone then.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #119  
Glitter Guru

funny thing about this just today we were at my sons baseball game and I bumped into a friend who signed up recently as a su demo.she was away on business for nursing.and she is planning on going to convention soon.anyway my husband and i and this friends husband were talking and he says to me oh I remember you.you introduced my wife to scs.And now she is a demo and has overtaking the dinind room.so he is now in the process of turning his basement into her stamping room due to all her stamping supplies.anyway my hb says well my wife already probablly has more than your wife and shes not a demo.she doesn't need anymore stamps.

But now he is giving me a seperate checking account to support my hobby and he has his own for his golf.so every week I get 50.00 going into my account not to mention some of it has to go for other things like things to do and places to go with my kids.chirstmas presents.so even if I can spend 50 a month I'm still getting a good amount of stamps.but as far as signing up for a demo .I was a demo for CM AND LEAVING PRINTS.and I really don't feel like doing it again.so I just buy it's much easier for me this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #120  
Gallery Gazer

great thread, lots of interesting responses. I am a hobby demo who lives quarter to quarter. I was hopping to get 1/2 dozen customers to keep me going but it just hasn't worked out.

I resisted for along time, because 'I can get stuff cheaper at Michaels', but what I found was really I couldn't. Any time I got my 40% coupon, got the kids in the car, and got to the store, they never had the thing I set out to get (dotto refills, black staz on) you know the real basic stuff.

Another thing that kept me from looking into it, is I thought I would really have to sell and attend meetings, and recruit, but when I found out I can just do my own thing I joined.

So I took the plunge and even though it is a struggle to meet the quota, I am glad I did. I am no longer wasting money on craft store items I can't match up. I really am not very artistic, so I just love the granimals nature of SU. If and when I have to drop, I will just find a demo to support.
Reply With Quote Likes