Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink Choices for SU color families

Hi, I am new to stamping and have actually been buying most of my items from Ebay. I have bought a number of stamp sets and bought the soft subtles ink set also. However, I am finding that I really need some variety as far as brighter colors. I am torn between the bold brights and the rich regals. I know that alot of people buy theirs individually, but since I am pretty much limited to buying them as a group I think it is easier to just go ahead and buy another color family. Which one is your favorite? (I have the beautiful batik, paint prints, petite posies, smorgasborders, the fine print, too terrific tags, beyond the basics, itty bitty background, garden blocks, and year round cheer, and a few local buys) I know, I have gone stamping crazy since I have only been doing this for a month and a half. Thanks much!!

Sondra
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I say Rich Regals. Since the color changes last year, it has become my favorite color family!

But I would also find yourself a demonstrator. You're probably paying too much off eBay. I've seen ppl jack up the shipping charges FAR more than you'd pay ordering directly from SU. Just my .02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I agree with Laura!

Rich regals is slowly becoming my favorite color family, especially with all of the new colors.

Be careful of those who sell on ebay. You never know what condition you'll get stuff in.

Definitely find a demo near you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

But your bold brights have essential colors like Real Red, Pixie Pink...things like that. Heck....you NEED them ALL. I have all the colors and I use them ALL all the time, even though I thought I wouldn't. But look at the colors listed under each set in the catalog and see which ones you would use more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Watch what you buy on ebay. You may find that you are buying retired color sets. This is ok but, you will have a hard time finding the coordinated paper, reinkers etc. I also vote for finding a demo near you. I have all the color families and use them all. I don't think I have a fav. It depends on the time of the year. I'm way too addicted after a year and a half of stamping. I think I bought all the color families with in the first few months of starting to stamp. Buying from a demo also has its perks. Put in a big enough order and you qualify for free stuff and other goodies.

See what I've been up to

Wohoo, Finally a Stampin' Up Demonstrator!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh yeah...for this time of year, I would prob go with the bold brights. I love all the colors, but find I use the rich regals more in the winter. Just me. I agree...get yourself a demo and stay away from ebay for current items. You will almost always find yourself paying more and you have no guarantees. Plus, if you are spending a bunch of $$ at once, you are missing out on hostess benefits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Hi Sondra,

Welcome to SCS!

I would recommend thinking about what kind of cards you like/make the most? I find I use the bold brights for birthdays, kids, hi!-type cards. I use Rich Regals for probably every Xmas card I ever made and also collage, vintage type cards.

Not that you can't make all kinds of cards with every color. I just find some color families lend themselves to certain kinds of cards.

Having said that, if I had to choose, I'd get Rich Regals. I'm so glad I don't have to choose!

I don't know if that helps. You might also look around the Gallery here and see which colors you are more drawn to.

Anyway, welcome! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

So fun to meet someone new! Do look up a demo in your area. Search on the SU! homepage. You're missing out on good friendship & fun at workshops and stamp camps, as well as learning new techniques and such. You'll probably find that you are paying more on ebay for used stamps. Get some of your own stuff to open! EdieB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #9  
mothermcbride

Well, my favorite is Earth Elements. But I love all the colors, really. Find yourself a friendly demonstrator. You'll never earn any hostess benefits on ebay. And, no seller is going to give your free instructions and personalized service. :smile:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 05:36 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

My vote is with the Bold Bright set! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have to say rich regals. I love the new artichoke, I also like the new eggplant (don't have it yet, but it should arrive soon). Love the blue's in that set. And I think it coordinates well with the soft subtle family as well. ( I have all 4 sets, now I am trying to get all the new colors.) I personally don't use the bold brights very often, they just seem to bright. But that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

that's a tough question and really a matter of personal preference. I have all the color groups and love all of them, especially rich regals since they changed it last year. I think each grouping has a wide enough range of colors that you can do a lot with each set. Maybe bold brights would be good for your next set since we are heading into spring and summer! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothermcbride
Well, my favorite is Earth Elements. But I love all the colors, really. Find yourself a friendly demonstrator. You'll never earn any hostess benefits on ebay. And, no seller is going to give your free instructions and personalized service. :smile:
What she said!

p.s. & Welcome to the stamping world!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought lots of Bold Brights at first, thinking I "needed" those colors...now I'd pick Rich Regals anyday because I love those colors and use them so much more. I should have known better and gone with what I already knew I loved... :razz:

my blog | the hybrid chick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

My first set of colors was bold brights, my next set was soft subltles, both are nice, complement each other well. Over time order yourself one set and eventually you'll have them all. Then you can decide which colors you use and like the best. I also buy on ebay, and from a su rep. The only thing about ebay is watch the shipping charges, some can be rediculous. Happy stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Another Vote for Rich Regals, I use those colours much more regularly then Bold Brights.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2006, 02:46 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Rich Regals or Bold Brights if you have to choose, although I use them all -- all of the time!

Btw, what everyone else said -- find yourself a demo. You could get seriously screwed on eBay. Besides, they have no customer service; SU does!

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I love the Rich Regals, but just this past Christmas finally got all the colors! I did however purchase the standard colors from the bold brights, real red, basic black (before they moved it to the neutral color group), pink passion, glorious green and brilliant blue. I rarely used other colors from the bold group until recently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Oklahoma...State (OSU) We love 'em even when they lose, and we're never disappointed!

I am a newbie too and I would get the Rich Regals, but get a full size pad of Real Red. I love bordering blue, Night of Navy, Bravo Burgundy and So Saffron especially. I use the red with so many things and it is great for Valentine's Day, 4th of July, and Christmas. I don't scrap book so 4th of July is not really a bonus for me, but for a lot of people it is.

Not sure how old you are or if you have children or grandchildren, but if you will be sending more cards to males I would go with the earth elements. For making girlie cards, I am going to have to have pink passion and pixie pink from the bold brights.

One disadvantage I have found since I started buying all new unmounted stamps (except retired) is that you have to cut those little things out. (Although I am one of those who does split the message from the picture when possible.) My hand would cramp when I got new stamp sets in. I cut out 11 new stamp sets last Saturday (Sellabration and Hostess incentives plus what I ordered) and using the CRAFT and RUBBER SCISSORS (sorry to yell) from SU!, purchased "free" with my hostess benefits, I had no pain at all in my hand at any time. I highly recommend the $20 scissors for your sanity.

I was wordy, but I hope you are able to find something useful in all of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2006, 05:01 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellibelle
I would have to say rich regals. I love the new artichoke, I also like the new eggplant (don't have it yet, but it should arrive soon). Love the blue's in that set. And I think it coordinates well with the soft subtle family as well. ( I have all 4 sets, now I am trying to get all the new colors.) I personally don't use the bold brights very often, they just seem to bright. But that is just my opinion.
Are you me? Agree with the blues. They're gorgeous. Coordinates well. I also am trying to get the new colors, and think that the BB are too bright (for me). Weird! Maybe I should be ordering eggplant! LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Of course, it is all personal preference. As someone suggested, look at cards and see which colors you are drawn to. Also, are you making cards predeominanatly for adults (rich regals) or for children (bold brights). That being said, I love the rich regals. There are sooo many fabulous color combinations that can be made with the twelve colors. The colors are so sophisticated. Also, they coordinate with many of the soft subtle colors. If you do need colors for kids cards, you still have your soft subtles.
Reply With Quote Likes