Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercoloring questions

I have some really basic questions about using watercolor paper. For years I've done my watercoloring using SU cardstock, watercolor pencils and blender pens. After trying watercolor paper and an aqua pen at my SU demo's workshop recently I decided to buy some watercolor paper (I bought a small Master's Touch pad, cold press, at Hobby Lobby) and a water pen (I bought the Zig Brush H2O). When I stamped with StazOn on the watercolor paper (textured side, which was the side facing up on the pad), I ended up with white spaces on my image from the texture of the paper (it was an outline stamp, and some of the outline was missing). I flipped the paper over and used the non-textured side and my image stamped perfectly on that side, but I wasn't sure if that was the "wrong" side of the paper? Which side works best, and how do you avoid the texture interfering with your image if you're using that side??

Also, I found the water pen left a lot of water on the paper and didn't blend as well as the blender pens usually do for me. Will blender pens work successfully on watercolor paper?

Finally, am I using the right kind of watercolor paper? I have no idea what type of watercolor paper works best for stamping.

I love the fact that I could watercolor to my heart's content without worrying about the paper starting to fall apart, but I would love to know your advice for being more successful with this paper and technique. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,123 Likes on 505 Posts

When you stamp, make sure your inkpad is nice and juicy - it also helps to put a foam pad (craft foam or mouse pad) or paper tablet underneath your paper for a little extra cushion. The back will be smoother, but doesn't always 'act' the same as the right side of the paper. You may not be able to move your color for as long as you can on the front, or your color may soak in more quickly. Other papers may be 'sealed' in some way so the color will bead. Play around with it and see what works for you. Watercolor paper that is 'hot press' will have a smoother surface for stamping.

With the water brush, you can control the flow of water by blotting the brush on a paper towel or dry cloth. It may just take some practice to get used to the water constantly flowing, and the water will 'lift' the pigment rather than just move it as you're used to with the blender pen. Sounds like you two just need to get to know each other. ;) Don't be afraid to practice and experiment.

You can use a blender pen on watercolor paper but keep in mind that the paper won't hold up to much back and forth 'scrubbing'. I use mine mostly with Inktense pencils when I want a more defined line (like the grass here: Peaceful by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers).

A good value for watercolor paper are the Strathmore pads. The one I have here has a yellow cover (spiral) - 140 lb, 300 series, cold press. It has a light texture, not deep.

Hope that helps!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, fairsinger, for that question. I was having the same problem. And thanks, Dini, for your answer. I have a decent amount of watercolor pencils I rarely use plus I just bought a set of Inktense pencils that I'm anxious to play with but didn't like it with my regular cardstock or the toothy watercolor paper I bought. Now I know what I need!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Dini, thanks for the response! I went to Hobby Lobby today and compared the paper I bought with some other brands, then realized the one I bought last week has a lot of textured lines that the others don't have, so that is likely my problem. I will have to pick up a Strathmore pad next time! And I appreciate the tips on using the water brush and the blender pen. I definitely need to spend a little time playing around with them! Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the tips Dini!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I second everything Dini said. I also vote for Strathmore pads for watercoloring and stamping. MelStampz: Mel Stampz has a lot of watercoloring tips, techniques for watercolor pads. She does amazing work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Canson 90 lb. cold press pads. They have a bit less texture than the Strathmore pads (which I also use) and are a tad whiter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Excellent tips on trying "hot press" vs. "cold press". Check out the fine art papers, print makers use a lot of soft smooth paper that will hold up to stamping and then watercolor.

Good waterbrushes should not have a "continuous" flow of water. Mine have an area to squeeze to make water flow. Otherwise, the bristles should stay dry. There's a black piece in the handle that keeps water inside the handle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Such great advice! Thanks again!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I agree about your brush being a tad bit dry. I always see people coating their brush with water and slopping it on their paper. They the frustration sets in because they have soggy paper.

I forgot all about hot press cold press in response for this thread. "Press" of your paper makes all the difference. I do use Strathmore a lot for my work. I am also a big fan of Canson. I have a lot of watercolor paper for different techniques and different looks.

I hope you find the right paper. Once you start water coloring you will get hooked.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree with everything that's been said so far. If I may add, get yourself a couple of good watercolour brushes. Controlling the water is so important to this medium and the water pens just don't do as good a job plus they are more difficult to use. A good brush is a lot easier on the paper and won't pill as much as a water pen and it will retain the water and not just dump a puddle on your paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I use Art Spectrum Draw & Wash in 'fine tooth for dry media, specially sized for wet media'.

I have also tried the medium tooth but found it wasn't as good for stamping because of the texture and it was a little yellower.

I'd second getting some brushes. I find I have way more control with an egg cup of water and some tiny, good quality paint brushes for detailed work or large ones for swathes of colour.

ETA: now how do I make this image smaller?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I also second good watercolor brushes. I have been watercoloring since I was a small child. I had a nice art set then that was professional quality. I have never used anything but fine art brushes for my work. I always have "junky" brushes on hand for messy things. My waterbrushes are pristine and stay that way. A little tip manicure brushes are excellent for painting. My DH & I both use them. He does oils. I paint in water and acrylic.

I bought a Waterbrush pen several years ago. I have never used it for watercoloring. Adore that pen to death for other things but I don't like it for watercoloring. I think it's because I have ingrained habits with my paintbrushes.

KoffeKat- I never seen that paper. I have heard of it but never got my hands on it. I love the look. I will definitely hunt for a pad.

You can make your image smaller in your favorite image editor. I use IrfanView for quick resizing. IrfanView I go to Image-Resize and I usually choose around 400 px because that is a good size for web images without being too overwhelming on those with slower ISP speeds. IrfanView resize gives me the correct proportions without it becoming askew. Quick & Easy.

I love your name and quote. My DH would be in 100% agreement.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,123 Likes on 505 Posts

Don't give up on your waterbrush, though... that's all I use, and you can see the results on my blog... Mama Dini's Stamperia: watercoloring
It will probably take a little practice to figure out the water flow - you'll want a wetter brush for larger areas, and dryer brush for more detail. I work a lot in layers, light to dark, letting the paint dry in between, and probably from wetter to dryer as I go. Experiment and find what works best for you. It takes practice and willingness to keep at it.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

DeeAnn, that paper is fairly inexpensive in Aus. $10 for 40 1 1/2" x 5 1/4" sheets. I get it from a local art store.

And thanks for the idea to shrink the photo, only it was linked from a website because I'm too lazy to scan/photograph anything. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes