Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US Postage Rates

I will be in the US at Thanksgiving this year and wish to mail some cards and gifts. I have found the envelope sizes on the USPS web site but wonder what happens if your envelope is bigger, I usually send calendars to a few friends.

Also my computer hangs up each time I try to find out about packages (mainly chocolate bars!) - do they have to be in a box? If so do they have to be a standard size?

Also I notice that there are different zones - what constitutes a zone? I will be sending mail from Florida to the west and the north.

It might just be easier to mail from England as usual, but I am hoping so save some money.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Hello! I don't know if I can answer all of your questions, but USPS package shipping is done by weight and destination (zones). I don't know where the zones are since I just ship when needed since it's cheaper than using other options. There is an option of using the Flat Rate boxes with these you pick up the boxes you need for free from the Post Office or you can order them to be delivered (I believe this is free but have never done it) then you pack your stuff and as long as it's less than 70 lbs you pay one rate depending on the size of the box. To do this you have to use the boxes the Post Office provides. The shipping rates are higher for this service but you have the convenience of not having to buy a box if you don't have one laying around.

Chocolate bars could probably be shipped in a padded envelope depending on the quantity. Those you can get at any office supply store, Target, or Walmart.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I hope you enjoy your trip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bigger envelope will get bumped up to a parcel rate rather than a simple "large envelope."

Zones don't matter for first class shipping, but they do for priority mail. Florida to the west coast is probably a difference of 6-8 zones (and therefore more expensive than your parcels headed north) if you're shipping priority. The "zones" are calculated based on origin zip and destination zip. There is a place on the USPS site to do it but if your computer keeps hanging up, it probably won't do me any good to find it for you.

Boxes aren't a requirement, no, but I think for chocolate bars I would want one. But the small flat rate boxes should be under $6, and they'll include tracking and $50 of insurance. (On a first class packing, tracking is about $1 and insurance is also additional.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks very much for your advice - it seems as though it will be cheaper to mail in the US. However I am not sure about a flat box - you have no idea how much my family love English chocolate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #5  
Vintage Vixen

I don't know if this helps you or not (since you're not familiar with the US postal system), but this is information I copied from the USPS website regarding current postage rates for letters, large envelopes, and packages. (It's a word document; let me know if you don't have the right software to open it, and I'll do a copy and paste in another post).

2013 Postage Rates.doc

Letters: If you're mailing a Christmas card or simple letter that isn't too bulky or thick, weighs less than an ounce, and is rectangular in shape, most likely you won't have to pay more than the minimum first class letter rate which right now is 46 cents. The price goes up if your card weighs more, is bulky or thick, or is a different shape such as square (see attachment for size regulations).

A postcard is currently 33 cents.

(FYI--if/when you go to a U.S. post office: if you buy a bunch of 46 cent stamps, make sure they are "Forever" stamps. This means that even if the price of postage goes up, that stamp will still cover the cost of a one ounce first class letter. (And they are talking about postage rates rising again in January 2014.) Just in case you come back next year. ;))

Large envelopes: If any of your cards are larger than 6-1/8 by 11-1/2 inches, but still flat and not bulky (less than 3/4 inch thick), this is the rate you would be charged to mail them within the U.S. Your calendars may fall into this category but only if they are smaller than 12 inches by 15 inches and once packaged are less than 3/4 inch think. (FYI--Out of curiosity I measured my wall calendar and it's 11.5 x 13 inches.)

Packages: Attachment lists the cost per ounce. The post office will not only weigh your package, but take its measurements and charge accordingly, meaning that the larger or more unusual shaped your package, and the heavier it is, the more expensive it will be to mail it. As for the zones, the clerk will plug in the recipient's "zip code" as part of the process. This is the 5 digit (or 5 digit + 4 digits if you have them) code that follows the state code.

If you're sending just a few chocolate bars to a person, I would echo the other poster who recommended buying some padded envelopes once you are here. You can get them at just about any grocery store, drug store, discount store (Target, Walmart, KMart), office supply store (Staples, Office Max, Office Depot), even the dollar stores. Depending on how many candy bars you put in each one, they'll probably fall under either the large envelope category (for maybe one or 2 candy bars, if they're laid flat), or a package (for several candy bars stacked on top of each other). There are usually 2 different sizes of padded envelopes available: 6x9 inches or 9x11 inches.

For heavier gifts or bulky items, I like the priority mail flat rate boxes. As mentioned above, these boxes are available free at any U.S. post office and they come in several different sizes. The cost is set by the size of the box regardless of what it weighs, as long as it weighs 70 pounds or less and the box will close on its own. :p They now come with free insurance, tracking, and are usually delivered in 1-3 days depending on how far they're going. And the boxes are sturdy. You'll still want/need bubble wrap or other cushioning material if you're sending nice gifts, but at least you don't have to pay for the box. And if you're mailing something that weighs a lot, they're definitely the best option.

Sizes and prices of the flat rate boxes are (I'm copying this information from USPS website):

Large: Priority Mail� Large Flat Rate Box: 2 shapes: 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" . Cost $16.85.

Medium: Priority Mail� Medium Flat Rate Box. 2 shapes: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". Cost $12.35.

Small: Priority Mail� Small Flat Rate Box. 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8". Cost $5.80. (This is about the size of the old VHS tapes, if that helps.) I use this size box all the time to send little handcrafted things to people. If your handmade cards have a lot of embellishments on them, and if you plan to include several candy bars or other small gifts with that card, I think this is a good option for you. It will certainly be less hassle for someone unfamiliar with U.S. stores and post offices.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't know if this helps you or not (since you're not familiar with the US postal system), but this is information I copied from the USPS website regarding current postage rates for letters, large envelopes, and packages. (It's a word document; let me know if you don't have the right software to open it, and I'll do a copy and paste in another post).

Thanks very much for your response, you have really taken a lot of time and trouble over this and I appreciate your effort on my behalf. You answered all my questions and certainly in a lot clearer way than the USPS site seemed to do. I was able to open the word attachment and it will certainly be cheaper to post my items in the US rather than in England.

Now all I have to do is make my cards and buy lots of chocolate. Thanks once again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #7  
Vintage Vixen

What can I say? I mail a lot of stuff and could probably fill in at the post office without much training. LOL!

Also, I've been overseas and had to deal with foreign post offices (often using a language I don't speak), so I know what you're dealing with. I sometimes wondered if I was really getting the best option for mailing stuff. And it sure made me appreciate our postal service here. I know a lot of people like to complain about it, and the cost of mailing something, but compared to many other countries our postal service is definitely one of the best.
Reply With Quote Likes