Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Tutorialists ;-) (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/tutorialists-%3B-602256/)

impync 08-27-2015 02:09 PM

Tutorials

I'm a simple girl... I love the Unity 1 Minute Quick Tips :)
EZ, fast and lots of variety!

muscrat 09-02-2015 05:06 PM

Does anyone know why there hasn't been a YouTube Tuesday video from Barbara gray in weeks?

Kathleen Mc 09-03-2015 11:13 AM

there are a lot of names there of youtube videos I watch, and some new names.
I have to say the 2 people whose videos I have to watch straight away when they appear in my inbox are Michelle Short (The Card Grotto) and Amy Rysavy (PrairiePaperandInk).
Unfortunately, Amy isn't posting many videos at the moment but hopefully she'll get a chance to post in the near future. her back catalogue is certainly worth a look tho!!

meloleary 09-04-2015 01:18 PM

I love Gina K and Melanie Muenchinger, both from StampTV. Theresa Momber also does very nice cards for StampTV, but I always feel as though Theresa's goal is to teach us to replicate her card design, while Gina and Melanie focus more on teaching us techniques and encouraging us to use those techniques on our own designs.

muscrat 11-05-2015 09:15 AM

I just discovered Connie Stewart on YouTube. She has tips on Tuesdays and does flash cards, which are awesome!

canada goose 11-05-2015 09:21 AM

Not everyone who attempts to do a tutorial is good. My biggest complaint is that "some" don't speak up clearly.

Good to see some favs I have not checked out .....which I will do. Many of mine have already been listed. Good topic.

dini 11-10-2015 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada goose (Post 21110837)
Not everyone who attempts to do a tutorial is good. My biggest complaint is that "some" don't speak up clearly.

Some people have a lot of fears to overcome when making videos - it can be hard to put yourself out there! I work with all our tutorial authors to help them produce great tutorials, and it can take a lot of encouragement behind the scenes! I think it's easy to forget that most people who are putting their work out there are simply doing it for the love of creating and sharing. There's definitely an element of grace.

craftyduo 11-10-2015 05:48 AM

thanks for the info...will have to look at more of these youtube videos. I love videos:D

canada goose 11-10-2015 07:39 AM

Tutorialists

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 21114268)
Some people have a lot of fears to overcome when making videos - it can be hard to put yourself out there! I work with all our tutorial authors to help them produce great tutorials, and it can take a lot of encouragement behind the scenes! I think it's easy to forget that most people who are putting their work out there are simply doing it for the love of creating and sharing. There's definitely an element of grace.

I understand what you are saying as someone who has done some public speaking and teaching. I think in most cases they don't have their mic set up correctly something easily rectified.When someone speaks in a whisper then perhaps that video should be reviewed for sound. Can't speak for nerves in front of camera,but I do know what is like to stand in front of a crowd, which never ever gets easy.

I do applaud those that do make these tutorials, because personally I am a visual learner but dimensions given must be audible.So a big shout out for those that share their expertise.::p

dini 11-10-2015 09:56 AM

Most people are just relying on the microphone on their camera, and then looking down instead of toward it - there are some settings on editing software that can be tweaked as well... it's just a matter of experience. Even with a good microphone you need to be right up in it to eliminate background noises... it's a constant learning process.

UnderstandBlue 11-10-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada goose (Post 21114350)
I understand what you are saying as someone who has done some public speaking and teaching. I think in most cases they don't have their mic set up correctly something easily rectified.When someone speaks in a whisper then perhaps that video should be reviewed for sound. Can't speak for nerves in front of camera,but I do know what is like to stand in front of a crowd, which never ever gets easy.

I do applaud those that do make these tutorials, because personally I am a visual learner but dimensions given must be audible.So a big shout out for those that share their expertise.::p

As a person who has done a lot of videos I can honestly say nothing is done easily. You have so many balls in the air at one time and it takes so much time to do a video - sometimes after 8 hours of editing you just don't have the energy to re-record audio that might be a little off.

Or you spend hours setting up a project, film a 20 minute video and the file is corrupted.

Or your neighbor rings your doorbell ten times during your voiceover.

I actually wrote a blog post about the process and how nice it is that people share at all in this format, given the difficulty and how time consuming it is: Understand Blue: Art Unto Others? + A Giveaway

I'm grateful for anyone who spends their time even trying. It most definitely can be difficult and nervewracking.

Dina you are a saint for all the ones you do, I swear! Thank you!!

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...af1efa4bb8.gif

canada goose 11-10-2015 11:12 AM

As I posted I have never been on camera, but assume the same kind nerves a when I address a group to speak.You also have to speak clearly when you speak in person, especially when you don't have a microphone.

But I will say jokingly......you can't do a re take "when doing it live".Both are different in their own way with different issues to contend with. But thank goodness we still do our best to share what we know,and appreciate that people will listen to what we have to share.

muscrat 11-10-2015 12:16 PM

Thanks for that Lydia! When I watch Jennifer McGuire or you, or Kristina Werner videos they make it look like they just happen that great! I love tutorials probably more than chocolate and you know my addiction there! LOL

lovetostamp3 11-10-2015 10:02 PM

Wow, we seem to all have good taste in videos, huh??? I too am a big fan of our own Dina and Lydia, as well as Jennifer McGuire (jennifermcguireink.com), Sandy Allnock (sandyallnock.com), Kristina Werner (kwernerdesign.com), and Kathy Racoosin (thedailymarker.com). I also have learned so much from Dawn Woleslagle, another great watercolorist who owns Wplus9. Her blog on their site Wplus9.com has some great videos, which you can also subscribe to through YouTube. She makes her techniques look so simple, and her videos are easy to watch and follow.

I have been a huge fan of designer Marcella Hawley from way back when she designed for another stamp company, Flourishes. She now owns her own, Power Poppy, and her designs are still as gorgeous as ever!!! On her blog, linked through powerpoppy.com, you can find her great tutorials, which are so thorough. She's one of those designers, I find myself unable to resist her stamps. They are right up my alley when it comes to her flowers especially!!! I think I own close to 90% or more of her stamp sets! That's embarrassing to say!

I used to be an avid follower of Suzanne Dean's blog and videos, even taking her classes. She's had some personal health issues going on, and hasn't been coloring or blogging for the last year or so. However, you can find her videos on YouTube and they are still great for Copic coloring techniques.

Okay, that's enough for now.......... :)

canada goose 11-11-2015 06:50 AM

Thanks for posting Marcella's site. I loved her Flourish stamps, going to check it out.

Artsygirl220 11-11-2015 08:17 AM

Love the question... Will come back to add my faves

lllwolf 11-11-2015 09:06 AM

I love watching many of the people already mentioned; I also watch Brandy Cox of Brandy's Cards on YouTube. She is just wonderful :-)

melissa59 11-11-2015 10:27 AM

I am so glad that this thread has come back to the top. I must have missed it the first time around! I recently "joined" YouTube so that I can start subscribing to craft videos. I've found it to be a great way to keep up with those YouTubers whose style and instruction I enjoy.

While she does not specialize in cards, one of my favorite YouTube artists is Vicky Papaioannu (I think I spelled it right). I love her artistic style! And I am extremely fond of her teaching style. She is meticulous about editing her videos and doing voice-over instruction that is clear and informative.

Have to say that no matter how nice someone's work is, I'm loathe to watch a video where background music, screaming kids or barking dogs overshadows the instruction. And I really have a problem hearing the phrase "and um, well, yeah" two, three or four times in a single video. It seems to be a common phrase among younger YouTubers and appears to mean, "I want to keep hearing my own voice but I can't think of anything to say."

melissa59 11-11-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 21114465)
Or your neighbor rings your doorbell ten times during your voiceover.

You should make a sign that says, "Please do not disturb. YouTube artist busy recording."