Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble using percent off coupons on Cuttlebug?

I have seen quite a few people comment on how Michael's sometimes won't let you use percent off coupons on Cuttlebug because the coupons say you can't use them on Cricut products (and Cuttlebug is made by the same company).

Well, it seems Hobby Lobby is doing the same thing. I went there yesterday and had trouble getting a CB folder with my 40% off coupon. I tried to explain to the cashier and the manager that Cuttlebug is NOT Cricut; they are just made by the same company. They wouldn't let me use the coupon. Grrr!!! :twisted:

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

This is probably a rule or stipulation from the company. I know that many companies will not allow a retailer to discount their product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

I've had the same experience, but you just need to reassure the cashier that its not a Cricuit and they should accept the coupon.

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard of this happening quite often. Maybe we should send a letter to ProvoCraft to let them know this is happening. They may send a notice to Michaels (and the other stores). I don't buy anything at Michaels unless I have at least a 40% off coupon (or its the $1.50 stamps or ribbon). I have left things at the register unpaid because I couldn't use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems they're not consistent with their policies. I just purchased a Cuttlebug folder Monday from HL with their 40%-off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapamigaView Post
It seems they're not consistent with their policies. I just purchased a Cuttlebug folder Monday from HL with their 40%-off coupon.
Exactly. I've never had a problem with it before, and frankly, the cashier and manager were both a bit snotty about it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I've heard of this happening quite often. Maybe we should send a letter to ProvoCraft to let them know this is happening. They may send a notice to Michaels (and the other stores). I don't buy anything at Michaels unless I have at least a 40% off coupon (or its the $1.50 stamps or ribbon). I have left things at the register unpaid because I couldn't use a coupon.
That is a good idea!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

One of my friends works at Michael's and says that the Cuttlebug is eligible for the 40% off coupons at any of the stores as it is a Provo Craft item. I was able to get the discount after explaining it. But it probably would be a great idea to contact them and maybe they can let companies know at the corporate level!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I decided I wanted a cuttlebug - purchased it Sunday with a 50% coupon at Mike's. The cashier was a little hesitant, and thought it wouldn't be approved. I pointed out that the cuttlebug wasn't specifically listed as disallowed on the coupon, but suggested trying to see if the computer would take the coupon. What do you know - went through without an issue, and the cashier seemed truly surprised. She really believed it wasn't kosher, but since the computer allowed it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Yeah, I've had problems at Michael's before, but never Hobby Lobby until yesterday. They get confused because sometimes the label says, "from the makers of Cricut." They don't seem to understand that CB and Cricut are two SEPARATE products; they just happen to be made by the same company.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I think I read about someone who had the same problem and told them to try scanning the coupon. If it's not allowed to be used it won't take the discount. of coure it did so...:mrgreen:

I would write/call the regional or corporate offices for HL, that ususally gets things moving LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I had no problem at my Michael's...the only trouble was finding the employee who had the key to the cage that they were in, LOL! I bought the Cuttlebug machine with a 50% off coupon one week, and got a new folder with another coupon this past weekend. No questions or protests. I think the trouble may be due to employee training (or LACK THEREOF?!?!?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I know that when I wanted to buy my cuttlebug and use a coupon at Joann's they wouldn't take the coupon because it said Cirut or computerized items, even after showing them that it certainly wasn't a computerized item they still wouldn't take the coupon, so I left it at the counter. The funny thing was that the following week, they had a big sale 50% off on cuttlebugs and I bought it then, it was cheaper then when I wanted to use the coupon. I just had to chuckle and shake my head at the money they lost the week before because they wouldn't accept the 40% coupon I had.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

It is just hit or miss with these stores and it depends on the interpretation of whoever is ringing you up. And, it's not likely Provo Craft that's causing the trouble (although they cause enough trouble in other areas). Provo Craft has no pricing control or fair pricing policy for their retailers. Retailers are allowed to sell or discount Provo products at will (of course, that's according to the rep I spoke to...perhaps another rep would have a different take :eek: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Default chickiez

I was at my Hobby Lobby today & bought the Dotted Swiss Cuttlebug
folder with my 40% off coupon? I guess each store has its own policies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AnnieView Post
I have seen quite a few people comment on how Michael's sometimes won't let you use percent off coupons on Cuttlebug because the coupons say you can't use them on Cricut products (and Cuttlebug is made by the same company).

Well, it seems Hobby Lobby is doing the same thing. I went there yesterday and had trouble getting a CB folder with my 40% off coupon. I tried to explain to the cashier and the manager that Cuttlebug is NOT Cricut; they are just made by the same company. They wouldn't let me use the coupon. Grrr!!! :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I've used my Hobby Lobby coupon for CB, as long as its not on sale. Hmmm...I'm stumped why you've had trouble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AnnieView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I just had an idea. Call the store before you come in with the coupon. Ask to speak to the manager. Get a confirmation from the manager that the coupon is good on whatever you are wanting to buy. Write the manager's name on the coupon, so if the cashier gives you trouble, you can tell them that you have already confirmed with the manager that the coupon applies to the item you are buying.

We all know that the coupon applies to Cuttlebug if Cuttlebug isn't excluded. It's just that the cashier doesn't know what they are doing.

Calling ahead of time will save you the aggravating argument at the register and you will get your goody at the price you want!!!

Last edited by 7kidscollegefund; 06-26-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

You hit the nail on the head. I was told by ProvoCraft that they don't allow their items to be discounted. Too bad. Crafters love a discount!

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESSView Post
This is probably a rule or stipulation from the company. I know that many companies will not allow a retailer to discount their product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I bought one at Hobby Lobby yesterday (yea for me). I went to the cashier that was a guy because I figured guys are typically clueless about some things (there are exceptions) and he didn't give me a hard time. In fact he didn't even know what a cuttlebug was
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

My Michaels has NO PROBLEMS w/ using the coupons for CB stuff AND IF THEY GIVE YOU ANY PROBLEMS tell them to CALL THERE CORPORATE OFFICE AND TO VERIFY BECAUSE THEY CAN TAKE THE COUPONS FOR THE CB STUFF!!! So, don't let them say otherwise!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I just used my coupon at Michaels for 50% off my Cuttlebug. I asked the lady before I decided to purchase it. Maybe it's just a store by store thing. Maybe try calling you local store and see if you can get a hold of someone who truly know. It's hard to tell if everyone is always on the same page!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest just making your selection of the Cuttlebug, going to the register and handing the coupon to the cashier. No need to ask anything (as long as the Cuttlebug is not on sale at that time). If you ask so many questions or look like you are trying to pull something over on the store, you will be given a problem. Just keep quiet and make your purchase with your coupon.

Don't make such a big deal out of it. If the store accepts it, then it will go through. If not, the coupon will be rejected by the register.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I would suggest just making your selection of the Cuttlebug, going to the register and handing the coupon to the cashier. No need to ask anything (as long as the Cuttlebug is not on sale at that time). If you ask so many questions or look like you are trying to pull something over on the store, you will be given a problem. Just keep quiet and make your purchase with your coupon.

Don't make such a big deal out of it. If the store accepts it, then it will go through. If not, the coupon will be rejected by the register.

Patti
I didn't say anything to the Hobby Lobby cashier. She told me that they don't allow you to use the coupon on Cuttlebug items because they consider it a Cricut product. I don't know about other HLs, but mine doesn't have a high tech scanner on their registers. They hand enter prices for everything. So a person is making the decision as to whether or not she will enter a coupon discount, not the computer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This happened to me last July and what I did was to email customer service with the Hobby Lobby Corporate Office through their website. The customer service rep contacted the store directly to let them know the correct interpretation of the policy and they apologized to me later because of their mistake. The Customer Service Rep that emailed me was Chelsea Shumard and I have kept her email handy in the case new employees didn't know that coupons are always acceptable on Cuttlebug products. They were very prompt in their response.
My blog: http://www.amazingpapergrace.com
Licensed Designer: Spellbinders Paper Arts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESSView Post
Nope, that Michael's that refuses is NOT following the rules. You remind them it is made by the same company but NOT a Cricut product. The coupon ONLY lists Cricut products. You sometimes have to remind them of that. If you still have problems contact the Michael's home office. In fact, if they still refuse ask them for a contact at the home company.

Good Luck.
carol
Reply With Quote Likes