Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Tips for cutting notches? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/tips-cutting-notches-454289/)

stampintoo 08-17-2009 01:30 PM

Tips for cutting notches?

I've been seeing lots of perfectly cut banner style notches on the ends of sentiments and ribbon, like THIS on Anna's fab card. However, I seem to be notch challenged - especially on ribbon ends. The bow on the card I just posted has pathetic looking notches, not at all what I'd envisioned. Does anyone have a trick or tip that'll help with cutting sharp, clean and even notches?

TIA!

KatarinaM 08-17-2009 01:37 PM

Fold the ribbon/paper in half, then cut on a diagnal. Works like a charm.

ctorina 08-17-2009 01:37 PM

Wow great card! I think the most important thing is really sharp scissors. Then take the ends of you ribbon and fold them in half cut at an angle

happyinker 08-17-2009 02:00 PM

A star punch would work too.

Joan B 08-17-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyinker (Post 14909629)
A star punch would work too.

ooh, good idea

11Valerie11 08-17-2009 02:30 PM

I use a square punch for cardstock banner ends.

stampintoo 08-17-2009 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the tips!

I do fold the ribbon but I'll try sharpening my scissors. Guess it'll just take practice on the ribbon until I can eyeball the right angle, I usually get the notch too deep or too shallow.

Thanks for the punch tips - great idea! I've tried folding the paper in half but don't like the crease so I can see that the punches would help a lot!

11Valerie11 08-17-2009 03:09 PM

Ribbon only scissors help with clean cuts on ribbon. Paper dulls the heck out of scissors which then fray the ribbon.

kphorse 08-17-2009 04:30 PM

You can alao use a square punch on one of the corners...but, folding the ribbon and cutting is the best I think...

BethanyPaull 08-17-2009 04:52 PM

Yep, fold the ribbon, then cut from the outside toward the valley. It keeps the ribbon from slipping while cutting. Go ahead and cut too shallow. You can always make a deeper cut. Sharp scissors are a must. And I use my photo corner punch for the paper banner ends, just because it's what I have (as opposed to a square punch).

dianerh 08-18-2009 05:18 AM

I ALWAYS use a square punch for mine! Perfect every time...

stampintoo 08-18-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethanyPaull (Post 14910879)
Yep, fold the ribbon, then cut from the outside toward the valley. It keeps the ribbon from slipping while cutting. Go ahead and cut too shallow. You can always make a deeper cut. Sharp scissors are a must. And I use my photo corner punch for the paper banner ends, just because it's what I have (as opposed to a square punch).

That's it - THANK YOU, Bethany! I've been cutting backwards, starting at the valley and cutting towards the outside. Tried it your way and can't believe the difference starting at the outside and cutting in makes! Yay! How simple - I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of it but am so happy you told me.

Thanks everyone for your tips.