Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stamps

I just got my stamps from art impressions, how shocked was I when there cushion was permanent! How am I suppose to use these stamps?? I am hot about this, it is advertised unmounted with cushion, so was I stupid to think this meant the same as other stamp company's, that this was for the use of Acrylic blocks?? Help!!:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unmounted with cushion usually means (to me) that the cushion is permanently affixed to the stamp. Did you talk to Art Impressions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

it is permanently affixed to the stamp, the problem is the side that should cling to an acrylic block, is also permanent.. and yes I have contacted them, no answer as of yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't used their stamps before, so I checked out their FAQs. They offer three types, and their "Unmounted on Cushion" is a permanent stick cushion that is not intended for acrylic blocks. See the third FAQ from the bottom of this page: http://www.artimpressions.com/FAQS.asp

The problem is that one has to know where to look on their website to find that information, and it is not given on the individual ordering pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I just took the cushion off, I usually use tacky tac, .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I did not see this, also when they mail you the stamps, which by the way is fabulous, they send a warning:: "permanent", this warning should be at the site where you are purchasing the stamps. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

You could exchange them for the unmounted kind, it looks like all their stamps come in your choice of (1) mounted; (2) unmounted; (3) unmounted on cushion.

HTH,
Suzy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

I already took off the cushion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

"Unmounted" means different things to different people AND stamp companies, so it's always worth your while to find out exactly what you'll be receiving. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification if you have any question about it.

Many people who are only familiar with Stampin' Up! stamps, for instance, think that "unmounted" means that they'll receive all the stamp "parts." I call this "unassembled." For others UM means clear stamps; others think of rubber dies only -- no cushion; some expect rubber with cling cushion, and still others think of rubber with sticky cushion.

I'm sure if you're unhappy with what you received, the company will do their best to ensure that you're a satisfied customer.

We happen to sell OUR UMs with the permanent cushion as well, and while it's noted on at least two places on our website, and I send a reminder with every UM order, we still occasionally find that people assumed they'd receive all the stamp parts to put it together themselves. I wish there was a universal way to denote the difference, and I'd be happy to work together with other companies to establish clear terminology so that this would no longer be a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

now that would be a good idea . Even though I am new, every order I have received from stamp Co. has been rubber with cling cushion, I usally buy them bare and use tacky tac, which I am doing to these that I just brought, it is my own fault for assuming all co. are alike. And my fault that I spent extra money to have these put on to only take them off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

A bit ago I placed an order with an online store for some stamps. When I placed the set in my cart, I was given the choice of bare rubber, with ez mount or wood mounted. I went with the 'with ez mount' choice. To my surprise, the stamps were in a bag and I got a piece of ez mount separate. I assumed (yeah, I know that is dangerous!) that the stamps would come ON the ez mount, but in fact the choice was *with*, which is exactly what I got!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

lol, i sorry if you are frustrated about these mix ups, but I do find them a little funny. I think I am so jaded as a customer now that I just expect that things are not going to be as I had wished, and I think now I expect the worst to happen. Im glad to know that its not just a cloud around my head making all the things happen.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIRed2View Post
I just got my stamps from art impressions, how shocked was I when there cushion was permanent! How am I suppose to use these stamps?? I am hot about this, it is advertised unmounted with cushion, so was I stupid to think this meant the same as other stamp company's, that this was for the use of Acrylic blocks?? Help!!:confused:
I made the same mistake a few weeks ago. I emailed to AI and got a really nice answer back, offering for me to send the stamps back for an exchange. This was the first time I had ordered "unmounted with cushion".

I do have a bunch of AI mounted and clear stamps and REALLY love them. I basically make an order every month. Their stamps are GREAT quality and they are a really nice company to deal with.

Hope you find a happy solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Well Elizabeth called me From AI, she was so sorry for the mix up "that was my fault" , she wanted me to send them back, I told her it was ok I had already took the cushion off, It was just so nice of her to offer and she was so friendly, and because of her being so kind they now have a loyal customer who will make sure not to get cushion next time. she told me that they will soon have 3 choices, unmounted, with permanent cushion, and ez mount for acrylic. If you havent used there stamps, try them, they are awesome, thick rubber thick etching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,132 Likes on 509 Posts

That's good to know! If I get stamps with permanent cushion, I just pat the adhesive on something cloth or carpet to lessen the stickiness of it, and then store it with the paper on. They're fine to use on acrylic blocks if you don't leave them on for longer than your stamping time.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamboView Post
"Unmounted" means different things to different people AND stamp companies, so it's always worth your while to find out exactly what you'll be receiving. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification if you have any question about it.

Many people who are only familiar with Stampin' Up! stamps, for instance, think that "unmounted" means that they'll receive all the stamp "parts." I call this "unassembled." For others UM means clear stamps; others think of rubber dies only -- no cushion; some expect rubber with cling cushion, and still others think of rubber with sticky cushion.

I'm sure if you're unhappy with what you received, the company will do their best to ensure that you're a satisfied customer.

We happen to sell OUR UMs with the permanent cushion as well, and while it's noted on at least two places on our website, and I send a reminder with every UM order, we still occasionally find that people assumed they'd receive all the stamp parts to put it together themselves. I wish there was a universal way to denote the difference, and I'd be happy to work together with other companies to establish clear terminology so that this would no longer be a problem.
I so agree!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Monica and Gina, I am SOOO with you on this. I spend quite a bit of time every day answering emails to clarify the difference, and even when a customer orders their unmounteds on foam, I still write to double check that they understand its STICKY. Some automatically think like monica said that unmounteds mean Un-assembled...like Stampin' Up! and will write after receiving their order to say we forgot to put in the blocks. :-) Its like a knife to the heart when we have an unhappy customer, and the only way to keep that from happening is education.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Just to confuse everyone MORE, lol.......

I assume unmounted means with CLING cushion for acryllic blocks, either already assembled with the EZ mount or with a piece inside.

I guess I don't really understand why you would want an unmounted stamp with a sticky back. Because then it isn't really unmounted except during shipping, if it is permanent once you use it. Am I missing out on something? If I am I want to know so I can be super cool!:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-TinkView Post
Monica and Gina, I am SOOO with you on this. I spend quite a bit of time every day answering emails to clarify the difference, and even when a customer orders their unmounteds on foam, I still write to double check that they understand its STICKY. Some automatically think like monica said that unmounteds mean Un-assembled...like Stampin' Up! and will write after receiving their order to say we forgot to put in the blocks. :-) Its like a knife to the heart when we have an unhappy customer, and the only way to keep that from happening is education.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess, if you buy the stamps without the wooden block, the shipping costs would be considerably less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I guess, if you buy the stamps without the wooden block, the shipping costs would be considerably less.

I understand that part, but are people just going down to Lowes and having some wood cut for them to use?

I'm just TOTALLY confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, or they have a handy husband, or they are buying lots of wood mounts on Ebay from the folks that are taking their rubber off the wood, and opting for the acrylic block mounting system.
They save money by mounting their own. One of my best girlfriends has been mounting her own stamps on her own blocks since the 70's! I love looking at her collection. She has an old wooden mount stamp from Hero Arts that is dated in the early 70's. They have really grown!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

For several years, I have been sending emails to stamp companies prior to placing an order. I usually ask whether they will please sell "bare rubber" stamps rather than mounted or cushioned. Some companies cannot do that -- they get their stamps from a distant supplier. Others are very willing to help me out.
I even ask Ebay sellers whether they will please unmount the wood mounted stamps. If they can't/won't do that, then I don't bid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
...I guess I don't really understand why you would want an unmounted stamp with a sticky back. Because then it isn't really unmounted except during shipping, if it is permanent once you use it. Am I missing out on something? If I am I want to know so I can be super cool!:cool:
It might not be what we want but lots of stamps are sold this way. Have been for years. Yes, some people cut their own wood blocks. Others just make the sticky side a lot less sticky by sprinkling with baby powder. This gives you a semi-permanent adhesion for acrylic blocks.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-TinkView Post
Yes, or they have a handy husband, or they are buying lots of wood mounts on Ebay from the folks that are taking their rubber off the wood, and opting for the acrylic block mounting system.
They save money by mounting their own. One of my best girlfriends has been mounting her own stamps on her own blocks since the 70's! I love looking at her collection. She has an old wooden mount stamp from Hero Arts that is dated in the early 70's. They have really grown!

very interesting.....hadn't thought of doing that! And that's very cool to have stamps for that long, it would be fun to look at!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
For several years, I have been sending emails to stamp companies prior to placing an order. I usually ask whether they will please sell "bare rubber" stamps rather than mounted or cushioned. Some companies cannot do that -- they get their stamps from a distant supplier. Others are very willing to help me out.
I even ask Ebay sellers whether they will please unmount the wood mounted stamps. If they can't/won't do that, then I don't bid.

It might not be what we want but lots of stamps are sold this way. Have been for years. Yes, some people cut their own wood blocks. Others just make the sticky side a lot less sticky by sprinkling with baby powder. This gives you a semi-permanent adhesion for acrylic blocks.

Wow, I thought I was crafty.......and theres a WHOLE world I don't know about! Yikes......better pay attention!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Elizebeth now you know what I was thinking, why would I want unmounted to mount on wood.!!!
Reply With Quote Likes