Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping isn't real art???

On another board, not a stamping board, someone posted a handmade card and some of the people there are saying it should not be called art, that stamping is childish, and that using reproductions (stamps) is no better than coloring in coloring books. One HS art teacher there is saying that stamping and scrapbooking is discouraged by their art department and they are telling the high schoolers that it is not real art and should not even be called art. They will not allow them to sell stamped things in their art fundraiser for this reason.

It bothers me that when it is hard enough to find good hobbies for kids that teachers are putting this down as being a waste of time. Have any of the rest of you been told that it is "not really art"?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never encountered schools that teach this in my area.....actually, stamping is taught as one of the art forms in the schools in my area. I also do classes at a VT high school with altered books (as an alternative art form to bring a hands on arts approach to traditional subjects) and the highschoolers and teachers are always fascinated by what you can do with stamps.

I HAVE, however, encountered OTHER people outside of the schools that think scrapping and stamping are stupid, childish, a waste of time, Kindergarten-type craft projects. I always chalk it up to them being jealous that they aren't doing it or haven't thought of it first. ;)

When people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them I'm an artist. Because I am.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately there are alot of negative people in the world.

Anything you create using whatever medium you choose is art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will have to admit that I sort of underestimated the artistic talent involved in stamping before I started stamping. So I kind of understand the mentality. I think it is out of ignorance, more than anything else. Having said that, I have seen and have even made cards that didn't really require much art. Please don't jump over me for saying that. By far, most of the work I see on this site, is ART
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm spending a $#(^ load of money on a private art college for my son (thank God for scholarships!)

He took two print making classes this semester - intaglio and lithography... if that's not just "expensive" for "stamping" I don't know what is!

Should I ask for my money back? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TOO FUNNY !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I can't paint a sunset or my son's face set in a smile..... BUT.... I have to say--- I have "created" some wonderful, artistic, scrapbook pages and stamped out some GREAT cards that I'm proud to call my artistic expressions...YES,,,,, it IS art and all of you talented and artistic folks ---- be PROUD of your gift...

Terry in Virginia
"I stamp -- I smile"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #8  
Failed Lurker

I was once told by a friend that stamping is "only colouring in" but it was said out of misguided jealousy. Misguided because I know she could stamp just as well - no doubt better - than me but she doesn't have the inclination.

But is it art? To be honest, I don't really care. It's fun! And it's a creative outlet for many people who maybe cannot paint a landscape. Art is often controversial and debatable - take Tracey Emin's bed, for instance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
Have any of the rest of you been told that it is "not really art"?
I have heard other stampers make self-deprecating comments about the skills needed for stamping. "I stamp because I can't draw" type of comments that on the surface suggest stamping requires minimal skills. I guess this is true, because literally even my cat can stamp his little pawprints on pieces of paper, but I wouldn't call anything he stamps a card or art because the intention isn't there.

I've also seen a very few comments in the stamping community that suggest using items like stickers or patterned paper on cards is not as good, meaningful, or as creative as stamping your own focal images or creating your own background patterned papers with stamps and ink. I personally beg to differ a little with this viewpoint; I have recently begun to use up my aging sticker stash and older pp on cards, and it is sodding difficult and takes a lot of work and thought to create cards I am happy with, using those supplies.

I have a friend who's taken a lot of traditional indigenous art and art history classes, and she finds there is an elitist attitude about what qualifies as "art" in the academic world. Things that are seen as traditionally being women's work, like beading, weaving, etc tends to be considered a "handicraft" while other stuff like painting or carving is "art".

All this just to say that no matter where you are in the field of art, lots of folks seem to have a lot of opinions on what is art (usually the stuff they do to express themselves creatively) and what isn't (usually things they don't do). Seems pretty sad that this high school in the OP has such a narrow-minded view on what is art and what is challenging; maybe you should give these ignoramouses a peek at the DD Gallery and ask them what colouring books you can find those projects in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have recently become friends with some people in the 'art world', especially watercolor artists. I always assumed they just started painting and a picture evolved on the canvas (or watercolor paper) from the visions in their mind. What I have found out is that many of them start with a photo, sketch it, or even trace it onto their paper (hand traced or computer traced) and then watercolor it. I don't see how that is so different from stamping the image like we do. There's a lot of artistic snobbery out there, in all kinds of artforms.

Just be proud of what you create... however you do it!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiko
There's a lot of artistic snobbery out there, in all kinds of artforms.
I've also encountered this with quiltmaking...a lot of times it is considered arts and crafts. Maybe my scrapbooks and cards aren't what the general public considers art, but they are an expression of my love, caring, and sometimes whimsy, so that is art to me!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss
But is it art? To be honest, I don't really care. It's fun! And it's a creative outlet for many people who maybe cannot paint a landscape. Art is often controversial and debatable - take Tracey Emin's bed, for instance.
My kids' room looked SO much worse than that just yesterday! I could have taken a picture of their room and made millions, I'm sure. DOH! Ah well....I'll just give them a few days it will be back to the same old same old....looking like it threw up on itself. ;)

We decided to boycott cleaning their room. Apparently, they decided on the same thing. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Put me in the "who cares" catagory. It's fun and I plan to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh no, no, no - stamping isn't art. Stamping involves a human being using certain artistic mediums and tools to create something pleasing to the eye. Art is when an elephant picks up a paintbrush and slaps some paint on a canvas and people pay money for it - that's art! Since I don't have an elephant I guess I'll just have to stick to stamping.

Seriously, I have tried many different art mediums and stamping to me is not by any means childish. Those that say that have obviously not looked beyond basic stamping. They are probably not aware of all the techniques that are used in stamping. Have you ever had someone say to you "how did you do that?" If they have then it's obviously more complicated than something a child (or an elephant) could do. Yes, you sometimes stamp and then color in - but you choose your color combinations and your layout and what you stamp it on, and that's what makes it art and not coloring in a coloring book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by pidgesmom
Since I don't have an elephant I guess I'll just have to stick to stamping.
LOL... me too!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

That is a shame, maybe someone stamping or scrapbooking would decide on a career in art from their good experiences. There are way to many negative people out there these days. I say hey, its keeping them out of trouble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Art and beauty are in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Well what is and is not art has always been a controversy. Andy Warhol anyone? He did plenty of prints and such and it is widely debated if what he did was art. What my bf who has an art minor says what he was told in class was that art is something that is made with really no purpose, while a craft is something that has a useful purpose. While I'm not sure I totally subscribe to that belief I'm amused by it. I'd much rather create something useful than something that does nothing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I was once told by a friend that stamping is "only colouring in" but it was said out of misguided jealousy. Misguided because I know she could stamp just as well - no doubt better - than me but she doesn't have the inclination.

LOL! I knew when I stamped, I was being artistic! But I had no idea that the condition of my house is apparently unbelievably artistic! My bed looks like that everyday! (A mess!)
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Stamping and scrapbooking are something that you get an idea for and create. Art is creating whether it be with paints, fabric, watercolors, or stamps. What we do is showcase someones ability to create (those people who have designed the stamps) and what we create is something beautiful and from the heart. Something that everyone can share.

So to the OP- have you asked the person/ persons on the other thread about store bought cards and if they consider that art? Me being nasty.

This is my opinion. I love what I do even if people think that it's silly or childish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

I have to say it is very short-sited to discourage any sort of creative expression as "not being art"

That said, I think of it more as "arts and crafts" type art and not "great masters" art. But I definetly think it is a means of artistic expression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Who do they think designs the stamps if not an artist? A month ago, my dh who is a pencil artist, was in an art show. One of the other artists asked me where my cards were. I told her knowing most of the other artists there I thought they would condsider it arts and crafts. She told me to bring them the next day. I have to say, I am not very artistic even with stamps, but she sure made my day. Unfortunately, I didn't sell anything but a lot of people looked them over and made positive comments. I'll be ready for next year. Thanks to this site and my demo, I'm learning something all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I am floored to hear that on another forum some where someone is saying that stamping is not an art and that a teacher believes that kids should not be scrapbooking or stamping. All because he/she feels it is not a form of art. Well, I'm going to name a few names here where I feel these women have certainly made a difference at how many people are now looking at Stamping and scrapbooking as a form of art. First there is Ali Edwards who considers her work as Life's art. As all of you know she does in fact fit this title. But if I have been reading her books and blog and her monthly articles in Creating Keepsakes magazine correctly she feels that all of us who scrapbook are Life artists. She uses stamps in lots of her layouts by the way. When I think of this type of art I also think of Donna Downey and Erika Martin. There are many more women but those are the three women whose art I have come to love . Next there are women like Gina K, Nicole of PaperTrey and Emily of Stamping Bellas to name just a few. They not only create the actual images for the stamps that we use but the cards that they make are gorgeous. Is that not art? I certainly think so. Oh my and then there are the women who stamp gorgeous cards and make each card a little piece of art. Women like Beate,Joan Bardee, Kitty, Gail B,Lauren Meader, Dawn Griffith and so many more women I can not name them all. I named just a few of my favorites.

This is just my feeling but I think that all of us who scrapbook and stamp cards or alter books and other objects are artists. Some better then others but none the less artists. I would be in the latter part of that sentence. I like to think of myself as a life's artist. Okay I have said more then enough. Just have fun with what ever art you choose.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago I was in NYC visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As I walked around I came across a canvas on the wall (probably 3 ft x 4 ft) and it was painted orange. Just orange. No shading, etc just plain orange. It looked like someone opened up a can of paint and painted the canvas orange. The title of the painting was "Study in Orange". I turned the corner and there was another canvas, the same size, this one painted blue, and you guessed it, it was titled "Study in Blue". This was in the MMOA for goodness sake!! I couldnot believe it! Ever since then I consider my stamping and paper creations art - if Mr. "study in orange" and "study in blue" can make it to the MMOA, then I can call myself an artist!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I think of "art", the words "The Arts" comes to mind and that term encompasses MANY things - handcrafts, music, performance, etc. Must be this so-called teacher thinks those who perform music written by someone other than themselves are not "musicians"? An actor who performs in a play that was written by someone else - well, what are they? Merely kids playing dress-up? I think every form of art finds inspiration in SOMETHING. Stampers and scrapbookers find inspiration in color, subject matter, life experiences, the works and inspirations of others, just the same as anyone engaging in "art". It sounds to me like this teacher doesn't understand the joy and creativity involved in stamping and scrapbooking; small minded people downtalk and criticize that which they cannot understand.

Me? I don't understand most of the abstract art out there, but hey, somebody loves it. I personally love stamping and scrapbooking and am thrilled when my end product succeeds in recreating what my mind imagined!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #26  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I saw that thread on that other board too. Phoooy for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkirk
Many years ago I was in NYC visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As I walked around I came across a canvas on the wall (probably 3 ft x 4 ft) and it was painted orange. Just orange. No shading, etc just plain orange. It looked like someone opened up a can of paint and painted the canvas orange. The title of the painting was "Study in Orange". I turned the corner and there was another canvas, the same size, this one painted blue, and you guessed it, it was titled "Study in Blue". This was in the MMOA for goodness sake!! I couldnot believe it! Ever since then I consider my stamping and paper creations art - if Mr. "study in orange" and "study in blue" can make it to the MMOA, then I can call myself an artist!
Had to jump in here. I too had a similar experience. Famous artist had paintings hanging at the National Gallery of Art in DC. Years ago. Daughter and I were there and saw a multi panel "painting" all white. Maybe a little texture. We both agreed that it looked like our diningroom wall. If I remember correctly, the guard overheard us and was smiling. My stamping isn't museum art, but it does require thought and planning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to comment on this discussion. I have a BFA with an emphasis in illustration. In school we discussed on end what constitutes art and what is craft. I was told by the "fine artists" my work wasn't art because it was made for reproduction and because I was working for clients. I was told in a derogatory way by a fellow student that all I would do with my life is make greeting cards. I laughed and said "Good because that's exactly what I want to do" Art didn't used to be so exclusive. It used to be that all art was commissioned art and artists were seen as crafts people but then the galleries and the museums came along and "fine art" was raised up on a pedistle. My own definition of art is that art communicates visually. Stampers make cards in much the same way as graphic designers create layouts. You chose colors make a layout and communicate the message you wish to communicate.

What's the difference between artists and illustrators? Illustrators make money. What's the difference between artists and crafters? Crafters have fun.

http://www.cbeckwith.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh my goodness...that is crazy.
I have seen some of the most talented people I have ever seen on this site! Stamping an image is one thing...it is what many on this site can do with that image that is spectacular....
Definitely art!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
On another board, not a stamping board, someone posted a handmade card and some of the people there are saying it should not be called art, that stamping is childish, and that using reproductions (stamps) is no better than coloring in coloring books. One HS art teacher there is saying that stamping and scrapbooking is discouraged by their art department and they are telling the high schoolers that it is not real art and should not even be called art. They will not allow them to sell stamped things in their art fundraiser for this reason.

It bothers me that when it is hard enough to find good hobbies for kids that teachers are putting this down as being a waste of time. Have any of the rest of you been told that it is "not really art"?
Don't worry, honey...our hobby has been loved long enough that it has become "real". ;)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

Unfortunately I have come across this attitude with some people I work with.
Fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. To me stamping is more than just "art" it's about community, a place to connect with like minded people and share ideas and encourage each other. I wonder if stamping was a predominately male activity, would it be perceived differently?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

. Art is often controversial and debatable - take Tracey Emin's bed, for instance.
Unbelievable!

I really do think that it has to do with people not understanding what goes into cards/pages. Until they are taught, they don't understand. It is an art. You have to have an 'eye'.

Oh well, their loss.
My Etsy: katiesniche
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixty6pixiestix
I wonder if stamping was a predominately male activity, would it be perceived differently?
They would find a way to make it a 'sport', then there would be a Stamping Superbowl!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

There are many different definitions and perceptions of what ART is. In the academic world where they try to teach the traditional forms of art and art history there tends to be a line drawn between ART and CRAFT. Many tend to see CRAFTS as useful things, beautiful, practical and pleasing but with a purpose beyond it's beauty. ART has been thought to appeal purely to the imagination and isnt good for any practical utility, except the uplifting of the human spirit. ART is thought to exisit only express and or evoke an emotion. That being said, both ART and CRAFT are expressions of the maker, take technical ability, skill and know-how. Personally I find CRAFTING more appealing since it has multiple purposes, both emotional and practical. In essence the only REAL difference between ART and CRAFT exists only in the mind of a philosper or academic, we are all free to call what we do whatever we wish to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been told by my sister, who went to school for commercial art, that my work of stamping and scrapbook is wonderful, she adores it, I have a very artistic eye, she has said.

My father, on the other hand, has never gone to art school and just started oil painting a few years ago in retirement and has lots of opinions on what is art or not. He has decided that watercolor paintings are just garbage and doesn't think they are art at all. Acrylics apparently are second behind oil as not being as "good" so I imagine my artwork doesn't appeal to him at all, either.

Art is subjective. I am learning slowly to not care what others think, it makes me happy, etc.

I am VERY upset that a teacher in a school, however, is saying this to students. Coming from a house where my sister was immersed in the arts and me not really thinking I had talent and shying from it, I would have welcomed a step into the art world via stamping during the more formative yeras. My daughter has just THRIVED with stamping and has learned and been much more interested in color theory and balance, etc. since she has started stamping with me.

I think it is truly a springboard for other art techniques. I grew up thinking art was only art if you drew or painted it, but I am learning as an adult that is not the case (in my opinion) and it is really sad that some continue to think art is only one way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMama
I've never encountered schools that teach this in my area.....actually, stamping is taught as one of the art forms in the schools in my area. I also do classes at a VT high school with altered books (as an alternative art form to bring a hands on arts approach to traditional subjects) and the highschoolers and teachers are always fascinated by what you can do with stamps.

I HAVE, however, encountered OTHER people outside of the schools that think scrapping and stamping are stupid, childish, a waste of time, Kindergarten-type craft projects. I always chalk it up to them being jealous that they aren't doing it or haven't thought of it first. ;)

When people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them I'm an artist. Because I am.
OK and now after watching Scrapbookers World video I am even more leery to call myself a scrapbooker, LOL. That video just channels what my OTHER sister (can you say couldn't be more opposite than my artistic sister? She is the antiart sister, LOL) says about scrapbookers. She just chuckles about it like it is beneath her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

This is funny to me, because the link to my gallery has been there for quite some time, it was spawned by my Fine Arts Major cousin who told her mom (my aunt) that what we do is not are. I just laugh--she considers it beneath her, but when I prodded her, she admitted that it actually can be art...So, I told her about my link, and she got a kick out of it too--I wouldn't worry about what one teacher says and if my child wanted to do stamping or altered books for the art fair, I would let them, and I'd make sure they were allowed in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I understand the view from outside and inside.
I used to laugh out loud at people,.... who scrapped and stamped. I thought they must be ill. I could not understand until I started to do it, how anyone could possibly spend time making pages for their photos, or make a card.???
I am not an artist. I can not draw a mural on a wall, etc...but, I can stretch the creativity I do have, to new lengths, and feel pleased and proud in this area of paper crafting. As time goes on, it is interesting how you can get very very into it, and come up with fabulous ideas. The important thing is that you are creating, and feel immersed and into what you are doing. I think anyone doing this, is an artist.
I suggested ignoring the otherwise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

I rather like Websters definition of art, 4a) the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects. I feel art is any medium, not just paint and clay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

2 points; it is too art because it's not simple; and it takes creativity to make some of the awesome things on this board (also, look at all the mediums and supllies people use and come up with!) and seriously, if a sculpture made of trash can be art, how can they question stamping.... ps. yeah, i'll have to use that next time dh asks me to clean, "but baby, it's ART!" think he'll buy it? i'm not messy, i'm artistic ;)
Reply With Quote Likes