Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:15 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stamping funk...

For about the last three weeks, I have been in a stamping funk. I have good ideas in my head about what I'd like my cards to look like and then when I try and stamp them, nothing works!! Nothing looks good or I can't come up with a design....even the most basic things I'm struggling with and I've been a stamper for almost 5 years!!

I've tried everything I can think of...different stamp sets, different color combos, techniques, etc! I just don't know what to do.

I've tried making some RAK's and an anniversary card for a friend and a Mickey Mouse card for my sister who is at Disney right now, but... NOTHING!! It's making me very frustrated and I'm about ready to give up! How can I get out of this funk??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 05:20 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I had a "funk" a couple months ago. Felt totally brain dead.

I ended up signing up for a Stamp Camp and came home very inspired. I think it took someone else telling me what to do, colors, stamps, techniques, everything, for it to kick start my brain back into action. I've been stampin like mad ever since.

Good luck and I hope you find your inspiration soon.

PS - always a good excuse to go pamper yourself with a pedicure and massage to get your creative juices flowing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Just subscribing for the ideas -- I'm in a stamping slump, too!

"Love is never wasted. It may not be reciprocated,
it may not be fully appreciated,
but it is never wasted."
Neal A. Maxwell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
When I get like this I just stop trying. I walk away from stamping and do something else. Either a different craft or what ever. The point is to take your mind off stamping and the pressure to create something fabulous.

After a few days I go back and read stamping magazines, flip through the catalog, flip through what you have, go through some websites, sort of like window shopping, looking for ideas. Sometimes I'll just case a card I've seen or have received. Even right out of the stamp catalog. In no time I get back into stamping.

Sometimes I don't feel creative for long periods, other times for short periods. Sometimes it helps to just work with your supplies without a project in mind. Just practice your techniques instead of going for a finished card.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

It's very frustrating to have an idea, and then not be able to make it happen on paper. It happens to me all the time. I found that CASE-ing from the gallery helps get the ideas flowing again. By the time i have one card finished, I have ideas on how to change this or that, and I'm good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have looked through the gallery for a couple sets that I had in mind, but nothing is jumping out at me...I can't even find any samples that I like!! :???:

How sad is that? Out of all the beautiful artwork on here, I can't find something to inspire me??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any cards saved to your "favorites?" Start there and CASE something. Even if you don't have the exact stamp set, you might have something similar that will work--DO IT! Don't even THINK about the card ideas you have in your mind that you can't get to work. Just CASE a card and I almost guarantee that it will get the creative juices flowing. And you may not be able to do those cards you have in your head yet. Don't worry. They will happen when they are ready.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm going to sit down and make a birthday card today for a little boy for a BRAK...hopefully, that will snap me out of it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been this way too, except on a different level for different reasons....lol.
I WANT TO stamp.....I KEEP BUYING stuff to stamp.....but between 2 boys playing soccer, trying to housebreak a puppy, a teenager, a DH that is in the field for a month, and the rest of life's everyday occurences........when I finally get up there TO STAMP....I sit and stare....and stare.....and stare.....:confused: :confused:
It is VERY irritating!!! lol I dont know if I am too tired, on brain overload, or what, but I can barely cut cardstock anymore!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 06:36 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sara, this happens to me every once in a while. It is no fun :(

Have you ever tried participating in one of the challenges here on SCS? I find the color, sketch, and technique challenges really help me to think outside of the box...and get me out of my slump.

Or the other thing is I stamp with a friend, and bounce ideas off of them.

Good luck with getting out of you funk

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was going to say the same thing about the challanges. They usually spark something in my brain. Sometimes it takes getting something "new" to get me going. A new technique or embellishment.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:43 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblemom
I was going to say the same thing about the challanges. They usually spark something in my brain. Sometimes it takes getting something "new" to get me going. A new technique or embellishment.
I've tried looking at the challenges board and I just can't do it...I get completely overwhelmed with numbers and don't know which one I'm supposed to be doing, as they are usually all out of order. WAY too confusing for me....

Sometimes, I'll look at the color ones just to get different ideas, but I usually don't like them and pass on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sara, if you go to the top thread of each challenge there is a word document of all the color and sketch challenges that you can download and save to your computer. Then you don't have to worry about the #, codes, threads, and all that other stuff...just lots of good ideas.

If you pick one sketch, one color challenge, and your favorite stamp set...you will have an instant card.

Just an idea

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Usually what I do is just go get a book and read. Do something totally not stamping related. I watch a good chick flick, go for a run, ride my bike.....for days on end I don't even go into my stamp room....until I can't resist....then I usually feel better....I have been in a low key funk for a while, I stamp a card or two and just don't have anything else in me....LOL Thank goodness I got my April Bday cards done and out on time....cause I have to get moving on Mays now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
For about the last three weeks, I have been in a stamping funk. I have good ideas in my head about what I'd like my cards to look like and then when I try and stamp them, nothing works!! Nothing looks good or I can't come up with a design....even the most basic things I'm struggling with and I've been a stamper for almost 5 years!!

I've tried everything I can think of...different stamp sets, different color combos, techniques, etc! I just don't know what to do.

I've tried making some RAK's and an anniversary card for a friend and a Mickey Mouse card for my sister who is at Disney right now, but... NOTHING!! It's making me very frustrated and I'm about ready to give up! How can I get out of this funk??
Do some challenges
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
Sometimes, I'll look at the color ones just to get different ideas, but I usually don't like them and pass on them.
Here's part of the problem! LOL Do the challenges even if you "think" you don't like the color choices. You might be surprised what you come up with and even LOVE it! It's when we step out of our nice little boxes and CHALLENGE ourselves that we get inspired to create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #17  
danne4

I am in a slump as well. I just bought a bunch of new fun stuff, traded for some sets I really wanted and...nada...zilch...nothing. I played with 3 pictures today and walked away with nothing. I made a page Sunday and it is just blah.

Reply With Quote Likes