Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't separate them either. I find that if I bought something as a set that is how I'm going to use them. I rarely ever make a card from more than one set when I use my SU sets.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by melodyjoView Post
What is the benefit to unmounting your SU stamps? Is it just for easier storing? I haven't heard of this before.
I think a lot of it has to do with space. I am unmounting becuase I am out of space. I can store tons more unmounted than mounted in the same amount of space. Another plus is being able to see exactly where the stamp is going by using acrylic blocks instead of the wooden ones. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

I don't seperate my sets either. I usually always use one set for a card or scrap page. I try to keep a simple system- flowers, birthday, sympathy, thank you.... i am so OCD i know every stamp I have. When I buy a new set I get so excited that I practically wear it out. I do have my favorites though and use them alot and keep them handy!

I love all of everyones ideas--keep them coming--You guys are awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
My friend does this too all her stamps. She said it very useful, she also never plans on selling them.
I never plan on selling mine either!!!I don't keep a master list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2View Post
Hi!
When I started stamping back in 1995 is when I started breaking sets apart. I too am one of those who doesn't sell off stamps when they retire. They spend their golden years at my house, I care for them, LOL!!!

Log 1 - written log on old accounting papers, this is chronological. I write date of purchase, name of stamp (I have pages for wheels, pages for single stamps, and pages for sets). I include the maker, mounting style (wood, foam, etc.), quantity (useful for sets), original price, purchase price and notes (like if it was a gift and from whom).

Log 2 - All stamp log. Every image I own is stamped in these binders, for me it's like a visual catalog. It's now two smaller binders (I have a lot of stamps) and I just use 3 hole punched copy paper. I use binder dividers, write a category, and sub categories if needed. Example: alphabets, animals, food, floral, halloween, wheels, words, etc. I have a lot of categories. Inside a category sub categories like for animals - dogs, cats, birds, sea life, wild animals, farm, etc. Floral - cute (whimsical styled or folk styled stuff), roses, sunflowers, misc, trees, on stuff (florals on gates, benches), etc. Words are seperated by sentiment - birthday, thank you, thinking of you, and so on.

Log 3 - Set Log. Same principal, binder with copy paper, all the images of a set get stamped on this page together. It's not fancy or formal, I draw a line under the images and stamp the next set. I can get 2 or 3 sets on a page. I write the name of the set, maker and number of images. That way if I ever need the sentiment to go with image, or a stamp gets seperated from it's set I can match it up.

90% of my images are unmounted, some are too big for the blocks I have, or are too thin to unmount. I didn't unmount my wheels either, I like them on the wheel, that's how I use them. The stamps are stored and categorized like Log 2, it just makes it easy to find the images I'm looking for. I do keep seasonal sets together.

Hope this helps.
I thought i was organized--guess not!haha I like your log 2 idea--back to my scrap room to re-organize-ugh--Thanks for the idea!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with space. I am unmounting becuase I am out of space. I can store tons more unmounted than mounted in the same amount of space. Another plus is being able to see exactly where the stamp is going by using acrylic blocks instead of the wooden ones. HTH
How do you store them? In boxes--containers--what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

I have thought about this a lot. For now I have decided to keep my current sets together. I store them on open shelves by catagory - alpha, floral, etc. It becomes tricky when the image sets have words. that is the part I don't like about my system. I am learning to live with that. As for the retired sets I have just decided to put like images together and like phrases together too. I will be working on the in the days to come!
This was an interesting post to go through. thank you all for all your ideas and information on how you store your SU sets.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #48  
Glitter Queen

Hi everyone - I separate all my stamp sets into 4 basic categories (Floral, Expressions, Christmas, Designs). I have a spreadsheet that lists which category each set is in...and before I start using a new set, I stamp each image onto a blank sheet of paper with the name, Stamp set #, and # of stamps in each set. These are all filed away in a "master" binder. I am a visual person so I need to see what the image looks like when I am looking for something to stamp with. All the sets are stored in plastic bins by the main categories. It has helped me tremedously to keep track of what I have...and I have hundreds of stamp sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope, leave all 165 Plus sets in their original set and box. I've thought about it but I like that the sets coordinate with each other. JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #50  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmilhamView Post
Nope, leave all 165 Plus sets in their original set and box. I've thought about it but I like that the sets coordinate with each other. JMO
OMG-I don't have that many sets (yet!) I like the way coordinatetogether in sets also--When I just wanna challenge my self--I grab one set and go for it! thanks formthe reply!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, this has been so facinating reading all these different ways of organizing stamps. I keep all my sets together, BUT I do pull out the sentiments because I find that I mix and match them a lot, whereas I don't mix the actual stamps. I rebox the sentiments by theme ( thank you, birthday, etc). I put a color coded dot label (for various categories) on each stamps set box as I receive it to make oraganization easier and then some boxes can have two dots ( birds and flowers for example )so I can find them easily. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #52  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarar20View Post
Well, this has been so facinating reading all these different ways of organizing stamps. I keep all my sets together, BUT I do pull out the sentiments because I find that I mix and match them a lot, whereas I don't mix the actual stamps. I rebox the sentiments by theme ( thank you, birthday, etc). I put a color coded dot label (for various categories) on each stamps set box as I receive it to make oraganization easier and then some boxes can have two dots ( birds and flowers for example )so I can find them easily. It works for me.
I love this idea--I think this may be an idea i will definetely use. Thanks for quick response!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampgirl4View Post
How do you store them? In boxes--containers--what?
I too have unmounted all of my SU stamps. I put each set in an old CD case. PTI puts their stamps in CD cases as well, so that's where I go the idea originally.

I unmounted for three reasons:
1. space - i had way too many sets to keep track of, and could never find the one i was looking for.
2. stamp-ability - it's so much easier to stamp where I want when I can see through the clear block.
3. weight - with all those wood blocks, i was tired of lugging them around. After i had unmounted everything, i couldn't even lift the box of wood blocks!!!!

I keep all the sets together in alphabetical order, but separated by company. I have an 8x8 scrapbook in which i have stamped all the images and names, that way i know what i have. This is an ongoing process, though, so not completely finished. I'm thinking I will organize these by category.

I think I will do a second section in my book for sentiments and list their set name. That way I'll be able to find the perfect "thank you" but still be able to keep it with the set.

I'm still not sure what to do with my individual stamps though...

CreatedByJessie.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

Default In like groupings!

I thought that I should start by saying I am person who buys what I like and what I think is versatile regardless of the company, which determined how I organize my stamps. I do like to think outside of the box and whatever stamp seems right at the time, regardless if it part of the set it came with. As for a SU demonstrator I could see that they would want to keep the sets together.

When I first get a new set I do keep them together and look at them, and then I use a thin permanent marker to write the name of the set and 1/9 on the side. This makes it much easier when uploading cards to the gallery and for those times when you do want to locate the other stamp in the set!

I have a BEST storage cabinet with 1 inch draws and I organize them in categories. I ended up with groups such as:
  • general sayings
  • friend,thanks,congrats sayings
  • thinking of you,get well,sympathy sayings
  • baby,easter,grad,mothers,fathers (sayings,images)
  • hearts,love,anniversary,V-day (sayings,images)
  • birthday,celebrate,balloons (sayings, images)
  • decorative elements (swirls,dots,frames,shadow)
  • human things (food,beverages,fashion)
  • winged things (bugs,birds,butterflies)
  • animals
  • large background stamps (in 2 inch drawer-okay so this is more than one drawer!)
  • flower-outline images
  • flower-solild images
  • leaves,branches,trees
  • celestial
  • winter,snow,snowmen (sayings, images)
  • Christmas (sayings, images)

I imagine it will be a living breathing evolving organization as I fill in the 'holes' in my collection and need to move them around to fit anything new (I have little room left!). Also sorting them into my new cabinet two days before Christmas was quite an ordeal and towards the end I might have stopped thinking (aka caring) about it!

Last edited by ink|outside|the|box; 01-29-2009 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: I will never say I am a great speller; its the creative mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarar20View Post
That makes sense. Great idea. TFS :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

When you unmount the stamps, are the backs sticky? Do they stick to acrylic blocks, or do you need to do more to them. I just redid a whole shelf and am still out of room. Unmounting would be a big help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #57  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bthomas418View Post
Hi everyone - I separate all my stamp sets into 4 basic categories (Floral, Expressions, Christmas, Designs). I have a spreadsheet that lists which category each set is in...and before I start using a new set, I stamp each image onto a blank sheet of paper with the name, Stamp set #, and # of stamps in each set. These are all filed away in a "master" binder. I am a visual person so I need to see what the image looks like when I am looking for something to stamp with. All the sets are stored in plastic bins by the main categories. It has helped me tremedously to keep track of what I have...and I have hundreds of stamp sets!
I do this with my loose individual stamps--but never thought to do this to my SU stamp sets!! I am so excited to do this. I have to work on this --organize-organize- organize if I keep this up I will never find time to scrap!!!LOL I think I am going to make a master list of all my stamps and stamped images--I think this may make me use more of them.

Thanks again for all of the great ideas--keep'um coming!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #58  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by danselanView Post
I too have unmounted all of my SU stamps. I put each set in an old CD case. PTI puts their stamps in CD cases as well, so that's where I go the idea originally.

I unmounted for three reasons:
1. space - i had way too many sets to keep track of, and could never find the one i was looking for.
2. stamp-ability - it's so much easier to stamp where I want when I can see through the clear block.
3. weight - with all those wood blocks, i was tired of lugging them around. After i had unmounted everything, i couldn't even lift the box of wood blocks!!!!

I keep all the sets together in alphabetical order, but separated by company. I have an 8x8 scrapbook in which i have stamped all the images and names, that way i know what i have. This is an ongoing process, though, so not completely finished. I'm thinking I will organize these by category.

I think I will do a second section in my book for sentiments and list their set name. That way I'll be able to find the perfect "thank you" but still be able to keep it with the set.

I'm still not sure what to do with my individual stamps though...
I purchased 12x12 clear boxed containers--my mom is a quilter and I got the idea from her. They hold my individual stamps perfectly. I use a white sheet of 12x12 paper and stamp the image on it. You can fit quite a few stamps in these boxes no matter what the size. You can find these at Michaels or Hobby Lobby for around $5.00 each (on sale).They are very storage friendly and stack really well too. I don't think I will unmount my wood stamps though, my stoarage system works fine for me. Thanks-Ronnita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #59  
Cardstock Collector

I bought a tool case top and bottom and marked the drawers as to Birthday and etc. This is for my single stamps. My sets are together. all christmas,Easter,halloween,are in rubbermaid and brought out when in season ,I think what ever works for you is the right way. I have lots of friends that come and stamp and they all can find what they want. If not ask and I can tell you just where to go. [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #60  
Compulsive Stamper

Default stamp organizing

When I get a new stamp set I scan the label sheet before I put it on the wood.
I save it to my desktop and then I put it in a folder just for my stamp sets. I have these sorted by category in the folder, so when I need something I can go directly to that category to see what I have.
I have my stamps on a bookcase shelves by category (labeled with my P-Touch so they are easier to read) with a pretty good sized section for misc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Some of my stamps are in sets because that's how I remember where they are. My other stamps (sayings, swirls, flowers) are sorted by category and this works great for me. Yesterday I was working on valentine cards and took out my "love" category. I had stamps in there I would have never remembered I had and was able to use them again.
As for my sayings stamps...they are categorized by birthday, thanks, thinking of you, Christmas, girlfriend stamps, etc...
Good luck in you decision. By they way, I don't intend on selling my stamps so I don't really need to keep them in stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 AM   #62  
Embossing Fanatic

i am not nearly as organized as all of you but i have found something that works for me and my very limited space. i keep stampin up together. i have some 12x12 drawers stacked and have loose stamps in them sort of catagorized. i guess i am more excited when i pull a drawer and see what comes to my imagination. someday i will have a room of my own to scrap but for now i scrap out of the hallway closet. i look at it this way, if i spend too much time organizing it will take away my play time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

I WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED TO THIS THREAD. THANKS SUBSCRIBED LORI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dismount my stamps by microwaving them about 5 sec. They are not usually sticky, but it varies. I prefer to use a cling foam mount which itself does have a sticky side for the stamp, and a cling side for the acrylic block; I get the stuff in sheets from Sunday International. However, other people use Tack It Again (I think that's the name), a reusable adhesive; from time to time I have used double-stick tape, but it requires removal, too, which is slow.

Pax et bonum,

Carol

Quote:

Originally Posted by melodyjoView Post
When you unmount the stamps, are the backs sticky? Do they stick to acrylic blocks, or do you need to do more to them. I just redid a whole shelf and am still out of room. Unmounting would be a big help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another OCD organizer

I see that many are huge SU fans, but I mainly use CMTH because I like the qualilty and, especially, the storage system (acrylic mounted on carrier sheet with images of each stamp on it, stored in plastic "envelopes" with a foam sheet included to protect stamps and for use as an underpad); I wouldn't have space for mounted stamps and it appeals to my OCD, too. Plus, they colour code for categories and name & number each set, so it's easier to find the set I want. The stamps themselves are stored in their CMTH envelopes or original packaging if other brand (I do have a few) in the colour coded categories and in the order of they appear in my duotang, then put into drawers in a plastic multi-drawer unit on wheels.
I always stamp the images out on paper and put them in a duo tang (almost need a binder now) and mark each page corner with the category colour. Name & number of set is also marked. My other brand ones are in their own section and loosely grouped by category.
My duotang also contains pages for samples of every marker, pen, ink pad, embossing powder, etc (by type and colour). Punches and decorative scissors have paper samples glued in. Each Cricut cartridge has a content sheet printed off from the Cricut site. I'd love to do pages with samples of every paper, ribbon, eyelet, brad, etc, but can't bear the waste, so I use other techniques for those, but otherwise, it's my one-stop browsing for ideas and reminds me of what I have to use.
I like the idea of adding a list of tools, so I may have to add that. Perhaps also a list of glue types etc - I keep forgetting I bought a Xyron and a Martha Stewart glue stamp pad! Gee, I guess I forgot to add a page for glitter, too; that'll teach me to store things before I do the sample pages. :oops: Gotta go, there's work to do now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Unmounted stamp storage photos

I have at long last uploaded 2 photos of my unmounted stamp storage and colour code system as requested. I hope I have copied the link correctly. Otherwise you'll find it in my gallery.
unmounted stamp storage by madmichelle at Splitcoaststampers
This works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
"Sorting" Stamps?-stamp-storage-closeup.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes