Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "sharing" your demo discount

Question for demos: What are the rules (if any) about sharing your SU! demo discount? I am signing up to be a hobby demo this month and have been looking at old threads as "research" before I sign up. I have seen people say they give their discount to their sister, friend, cousin, etc. I assume this means they sell them the products at the 20% off price. Is this okay in the eyes of SU? Is this not okay but done under-the-table so to speak?

I don't have customers so this isn't an issue for me - I'm doing this to support my own habit but was just curious about this in case it ever comes up for me. If a friend wanted to start stamping and I wasn't in it to make money from her sales, could I just let her buy for the 20% off or would that make SU mad?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Must be OK to do because most of my demos gave me 20% off or more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think SU considers it your profit--to do with as you wish.

If I could find someone to commit to a certain amount, I would share my discount. I'm signing up this week. It would have to be some sort of "deal," though. Otherwise, the demo is the one taking all the risks, KWIM? I'd be thrilled to give the discount to someone who would spend, say $100 every three months. I'd keep the hostess benefits and be happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Giving away one's income (thank you Amy for calling it what it really is -- I don't call it sharing the discount because that creates a misconception on the part of customers) by allowing friends and family to purchase at the demonstrator price is an individual decision. I don't think SU! has any kind of official policy against it. I choose not to offer a 20% discount to anyone, because I consider that money as compensation for my preparation time and use it to replenish the supplies consumed at workshops.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #5  
Sassy Shani

That is what I commit to my demo!
Quote:

Originally Posted by amysings
I think SU considers it your profit--to do with as you wish.

If I could find someone to commit to a certain amount, I would share my discount. I'm signing up this week. It would have to be some sort of "deal," though. Otherwise, the demo is the one taking all the risks, KWIM? I'd be thrilled to give the discount to someone who would spend, say $100 every three months. I'd keep the hostess benefits and be happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

I have two friend demos. One is a hobby demo and offers me her discount. She just wants help in keeping up with her minimum. I don't ask for hostess benefits though (even though she says I can have them). I insist she keep them for herself.

My other demo friend does not offer me her discount, but I still order from her. She more than makes up for the discount in other ways. She has given me free things in the past.

Basically, it really is up to you if you want to share the discount.

I wish I could become a demo myself, but hubby says no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

It's up to you to share and I've done it both ways... once your friends enjoy stamping and you start supplying them (with paper, ink, GLUE, etc) I thought it was necessary to keep the profit to offset my costs.
((��.�� ..�� Beth theangelcompany #3332
-:�:- ((��. Beauty is the gift of God. - Aristotle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the replies! Seeing the other threads just sparked my curiosity! Hope I didn't offend by the title of my thread. I realize that it is income and a lot of people are doing this as a business. I was just wondering if there was a "rule" about it... ;)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

My sister is my demo and she gives me her discount. I buy more because of it and it helps her sales. Also, I have become addicted quite quickly and dragged some of my friends down with me and now they also buy from my sister - without the discount. I'm in her stampers club and 2 of my friends joined as well, so it has really benefitted both her & I.

It's only an addiction if you're trying to stop....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 04:09 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I would avoid doing this if possible. I have 2 friends whom I share my discount with. They agreed to help me meet the minimums each quarter when I first started. That quickly ended. One of them was looking through the new catty last weekend and marking off sets she liked. Someone else asked her when she was going to order and she said , "Oh, I not. I am just marking off what I like just in case something goes on sale!" I was floored when I heard this. I was sitting there thinking, I already give you 20% off catty prices, what else do you want. I am thinking about just charging her full price on her next order to see if she notices. She doesn't calculate her total anyways, I always do it, so I just might try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I do not share my income with anyone because it is just that - my income. I know that many demos out there do share with close friends and family, and to each their own. However, since I need that income I do not share it with other people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 04:26 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanda0711
I would avoid doing this if possible. I have 2 friends whom I share my discount with. They agreed to help me meet the minimums each quarter when I first started. That quickly ended. One of them was looking through the new catty last weekend and marking off sets she liked. Someone else asked her when she was going to order and she said , "Oh, I not. I am just marking off what I like just in case something goes on sale!" I was floored when I heard this. I was sitting there thinking, I already give you 20% off catty prices, what else do you want. I am thinking about just charging her full price on her next order to see if she notices. She doesn't calculate her total anyways, I always do it, so I just might try it.
You're right, if you give a mouse a cookie they are going to want some milk!

I personally think it is a bad practice to give other people your demo discount. People will come to expect it all the time, and it usually isn't appreciated. Just as in the example above. Her friend was still looking for a sale. Also, even though you say you are going to be a hobby demo, you never know, I signed up to be a "hobby" demo and now a year later I am doing workshops and trying to build a business. I am not aware of any SU policy that says we can't give our discount to others but it is not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

My friend, who's a hobby demo, gives me 15% off my orders only because I got her hooked and she became the demo. She doesn't require me to buy any amount each quarter, although she knows I will buy. She's a great demo, very creative and fun and buying from her is so easy ;) that she doesn't have to worry about not meeting her quarter amount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I am a hobby demo and I do share my discount with my stamping friends. There are only about 3 or 4. I have no requirements. It helps them to be able to order and helps me keep my minimums. My friends are awesome though. They don't try to take advantage and have no expectations. We are all very giving with each other.

I have been thinking about changing it to 15% instead of 20% only because at the end of the year we do have to pay taxes on the income so I thought the 5% might help compensate.

As for compensation for my time, I dont' mind. I love it all and when I get the box in the mail it is like Christmas.

Good luck! One thing to remember, once you start giving it, it is hard to take away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

My demo will offer me little perks like 10% off or free shipping, which is always a really nice surprise. Its not every month and I don't expect it, nor do I buy less the months I don't receive it. I go to her home and drink her coffee, use her stuff, and she cleans up our mess. I certainly think she deserves her 20%!

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a hobby demo and usually purchase to meet my quarterly minimums and that is all. I'm more like a preferred customer than a demo and that is the way I like it. Every once in awhile I have a co-worker that will purchase from me and I sell it at my cost. My thought is that their purchase helps me make my minimum for that quarter or I'm able to collect hostess benes on their portion of the order. Sounds like the smaller rebate checks will go away soon, so that isn't an issue for me. Many make SU their job/business and choose not to give their discount which is totally fine too. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

My sis is my demo so she gives me her 20% discount. She doesn't give her discount to anyone else. I do have to work for my discount though I do all of her cutting and organizing for her workshops. She doesn't do a lot of workshops, it is mostly just for our monthly stamp clubs and a few workshops here and there. She hates cutting and I like doing it and LOVE getting the discount (I suspect that I would get it anyway, we are family, but I offered to work for it) and I love that it has made us closer as sisters and friends. We also just trade off on who wants the hostess benefits whenever we place an order that isnt a workshop order. We just placed an order for some new catty stuff and since she wanted 2 of the level 1 hostess sets really bad, she got them, we just go back and forth that way!
It works out really good for her, for example, she is going to FL for a week and coming back the night before our little Christmas in July party and I will be here cutting all her paper and making all of the examples of cards we are making at the party! I love being her SU! assistant So, maybe if you have someone that is family or a SUPER close BFF then it might work for you, too!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

i don't give away my discount solely, because one would they do the same for me. no , probly not , now if i had a person doing cm then i would if they would because i use their stuff , i do offer percentages off at times but never the full 20 % , i have done one order where i did charge exactly what i paid because i paid it on my mom cc so . i know that sounds mean I am just tired of giving and never getting!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 615bride
Question for demos: What are the rules (if any) about sharing your SU! demo discount? I am signing up to be a hobby demo this month and have been looking at old threads as "research" before I sign up. I have seen people say they give their discount to their sister, friend, cousin, etc. I assume this means they sell them the products at the 20% off price. Is this okay in the eyes of SU? Is this not okay but done under-the-table so to speak?

I don't have customers so this isn't an issue for me - I'm doing this to support my own habit but was just curious about this in case it ever comes up for me. If a friend wanted to start stamping and I wasn't in it to make money from her sales, could I just let her buy for the 20% off or would that make SU mad?

Thanks!
After scanning the Demonstrator Manual, I haven't found anything (yet) that prohibits a demonstrator from doing this.

I personally would not give my 20% income to anyone else as it pretty much gets eaten up with the costs of running the business itself (business forms, gas, cost of supplies & materials, time, etc.), and I would prefer not to operate in the red, which can very easily happen with such practices.

While SU! may not prohibit it, they also do not encourage the practice of demonstrators giving away their 20% income to others, as it is not a sound business practice, as illustrated above.

That, however, is a determination you must make for yourself, considering the ramifications if you are pursuing the business aspects of being a demonstrator, tax issues, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

My wonderful demo (hi Meg!) and best friend introduced me to stamping. She had just become a demo and was about to place her first order when I saw her catalogue lying around and starting perusing. The "perusing" turned into a gargantuan order, but only becuase she offered me her one-time only 30% discount. Without this, I may have thought stamping to be too expensive ;-) WIth tax and shipping, the discount really ended up being 15%.
Anyways, now that I'm addicted ;-), I no longer receive her discount, which is what we agreed on. It was a wonderful boost to get me started, and she offers plenty of incentives to keep me spending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I do not give away my income to my friends...I do give them little freebies from time to time - some ribbon...a few half sheets of cardstock...a quarter of a stampin sponge...from time to time I might offer a special of 10% off certain items in the IB&C...

While everyone loves a discount - you might decide one day to bump up from a hobby demo and it is a lot harder to take away then to give...

If you have friends who are interested in stamping - maybe give them a certificate for 20% off thier first order...

I am basically a hobby demo with a handful of customers...in less than a years time I managed to flatline...I don't pay out of pocket for anything I buy myself...my sales and overrides pay for my hobby (that being said I aquire maybe $100 - 150 of stuff every quarter - that includes things I get with hostess benefits - which probably accounts for $50-60 of the stuff)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

I think it's a bad idea all around... for hobby demos - it may help you keep your minimums and stay active but I think it's unfair for people that are doing SU as a business. It seems to me (I'm a customer) that it would have a negative ripple effect on legitimate SU demos. 20% isn't a lot of income anyway (IMHO) but if you give your discount to others and then you stop being a demo for whatever reason, that customer is looking for another demo to give her a discount and misses out on the value of what a business-type demo can provide.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

have to add a p.s. I used to be an Avon Rep (for hobby) I gave my discount to everyone but they often didn't pay on time and then when they sold something (Mary Kay, Candles, whatever) they didn't reciprocate the discount .... so I got out of it all together.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmason
I am a hobby demo and I do share my discount with my stamping friends. There are only about 3 or 4. I have no requirements. It helps them to be able to order and helps me keep my minimums. My friends are awesome though. They don't try to take advantage and have no expectations. We are all very giving with each other.

I have been thinking about changing it to 15% instead of 20% only because at the end of the year we do have to pay taxes on the income so I thought the 5% might help compensate.

As for compensation for my time, I dont' mind. I love it all and when I get the box in the mail it is like Christmas.

Good luck! One thing to remember, once you start giving it, it is hard to take away.
If you don't earn the 20%, you don't pay tax on it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
If you don't earn the 20%, you don't pay tax on it!!
It's going to show up as income on your monthly activity reports.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks again everyone! It's great to have everyone's perspective and gives a lot of "food for thought"! Like I said before this was more of a curiosity question since my demo paperwork hasn't even gone in yet, none of my friends stamp and I'm moving to a city where I know no one (sniff, sniff). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
It's going to show up as income on your monthly activity reports.
Yes, the 20% instant income will show up as income on your monthly activity statements; however, if you maintain good records showing you gave that discount to your customers, you still don't have to claim it as income to pay taxes on, because you won't have in income. The discounts given will negate it.

Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I give my discount to my MIL and 15% off to two friends. I don't regret it, but the two friends are moving or have moved and I won't be offering it to anyone else. I still buy mini catalogs and give the big catalogs for free, so it has cost me more to give away the discount than I would like. I don't regret the MIL situation since she helps me make my minimums and orders regularly, but won't extend the circle any further.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I personally would not give my 20% income to anyone else as it pretty much gets eaten up with the costs of running the business itself (business forms, gas, cost of supplies & materials, time, etc.), and I would prefer not to operate in the red, which can very easily happen with such practices.
I have considered being a demo sooooo many times, but I have been told this very information by so many people that I have decided there is no profit in it and I would buy even more than I do now. Knowing this, why does anyone become a demo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I have considered being a demo sooooo many times, but I have been told this very information by so many people that I have decided there is no profit in it and I would buy even more than I do now. Knowing this, why does anyone become a demo?
Hmm, since you asked, there are many reasons to become a demo, and many reasons to stay a customer! Personal preference. Some of the advantages --
- you do get to purchase on line and automatically get 20% off.
-awesome monthly magazine called Stampin Success, which has techniques and samples that are lovely.
-if you like people and are comfortable, opportunity to sell to others and make a profit by doing something you love, setting your own hours, your own goals. The operative word is opportunity. Some are extremely successful; some drop out after taking advantage of the first hostess order at 30% off (not too shabby).
Free mini and free catalog -- one each per year.
Opportunity to make more than the 20% by selling more and developing a downline.
Opportunity to meet new people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Well, that depends on what you hope to gain by becoming one.

Some merely want to purchase at discount, receive perks such as advance preview and ordering of coming new products, etc., and have no interest in gaining a profit/income.

Some enjoy teaching and the social aspects of it, and primarily do it for those reasons.

Some hope to sell enough to pay for their own stamps and supplies without dipping into the family budget.

And, others seek an at-home job that provides supplemental income for their family.

Others seek to replace a full-time income from a job they have had outside the home, etc.

If you can sell with regular and higher volume, AND, you have potential for growing a downline underneath you as per the MLM structure, you can definitely profit, and profit well, as a demonstrator.

Career demonstrators invest full-time hours--some claim anywhere 40-70 hours weekly, and their income is reflective of that.

A lot depends on one's own initiative to work it seriously as a business, part-time or full-time, selling the product and recruiting--just as in any MLM company. Of course, the demographics of one's particular location, the level of saturation, and the general overall economy of the area, can also have an important/not-to-be-ignored impact, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

I a strickly a hobby demo and signed up to support my hobby - I do not run any sort of business and have no plans to hold any workshops. I signed up as the official demo but split the minumun and hostess benefits and share the discount with a friend. If any close friends or family members want to order, we give them the 20% discount but no hostess benefits. It works great but agree that if you sign up as a demo with the intent of making money I would not recommend sharing the discount with anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I only offer my discount to my mom and sisters. That is my line... I have one brother who is still not married LOL!!

Gone Forever: -40#

NEWEST BIKE/WALK GOAL: 500 miles 20/500
Reply With Quote Likes