Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicemen overseas

I know we have people sending care packages out to those in Iraq. Does anyone know where you can get an address of someone who maybe doesn't have somebody to write back and forth to? I'm sure that for every person over that that is getting thier own carepackage and sharing, there is someone in thier troop who is getting only "cast-off" items. I'd like to send cards and such to those type of people.

Anyone with connections know the best way to go about doing this?

www.mycraftstore.com
"I am NOT a compulsive buyer, I just have to have it!"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

My cousins son is doing his second tour, if you would like I can ask him if there are any in his unit (The 101st Airborne) that could use the care packages and words of encouragement.
For He shall give His angels charge over thee to keep thee in all thy ways. - Psalm 91:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #3  
Postapalooza Mama

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Barbara,
How generous of you to think of our servicemen & women overseas! My
son is a Marine, currently in Iraq. I would be very happy to find out from
him if there is anyone in his unit who doesn't receive any care packages
from home. The guys are always generous & share what they receive, but
for those who don't have someone to send packages to them, I know it
would really mean alot to get something in the mail actually addressed to
them! Mail from home is a huge motivation & comfort to our troops serving overseas & knowing that someone back home is thinking of them
makes a very big difference to them! Thank you very much for your kind-ness!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 03:55 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a look at www.anysoldier.com You'll find who you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:44 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I can ask my husband as well. I think sometimes the sender likes the idea of sending to someone that they have a connection with....even if the connectionis another SCS member.

While on the subject, I've started searching for used laptops for people to donate to send to the guys (guys meaning troops, guys not meaning males - I hate all this PC stuff!!) that don't have one now. Access to their email and the internet, plus the ability to download pictures from digital camers and burn CD's, means a whole lot when you're so far from home. My husband says that the Air Force has one computer for every 2 guys....while the Army have one for every 50! Needless to say, their own laptops would be great! And, when they head home, they can give it to the next guy who doesn;t have one.

If anyone has one, please PM me or email me and I will give you more info.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 07:01 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny2nh
I can ask my husband as well. I think sometimes the sender likes the idea of sending to someone that they have a connection with....even if the connectionis another SCS member.

While on the subject, I've started searching for used laptops for people to donate to send to the guys (guys meaning troops, guys not meaning males - I hate all this PC stuff!!) that don't have one now. Access to their email and the internet, plus the ability to download pictures from digital camers and burn CD's, means a whole lot when you're so far from home. My husband says that the Air Force has one computer for every 2 guys....while the Army have one for every 50! Needless to say, their own laptops would be great! And, when they head home, they can give it to the next guy who doesn;t have one.

If anyone has one, please PM me or email me and I will give you more info.

Thanks!
I think it all depends on their mission and where they are stationed ~ what their jobs are etc.... My husband and all the troops that he worked with had constant access to a computer (not always an unclassified computer tho) AND even tho he had his own computer they only had a certain number of unclassified lines to hu to.....
Sending a computer is great - but I think you should send dvd's and such for them to watch on them....

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 07:14 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I agree - it depends on where they are. My husband lives in a two person "living container" (as he like to call it - I presume it is a metal trailer) that has heat and a/c, he has an office to go to each day, and he calls home daily.

With the limited time many guys have for themselves....waiting for access to a computer can be frustrating. Anything that can alleviated there frustration works for me! My husband can choose to have satellite internet acces s- but it would cost him $38 per month - and with all the financial issues his deployment has caused for us, and extra $38 a month isn't feasible. Instead he will choose to link up in the office and use a restricted access point. Ironically, the restricted access won't allow him to go to ebay or kodakgallery to view our online photo albums.

DVD's are great to send as well....as they tire of watching the same movies again and again. Luckily for my husband, he does have satellite TV in his room - and had purchased a regular TV and DVD player and a refrigerator.....all which I hope he sells to someone else when he gets ready to head home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tammy,
Sounds like he is living the good life as compared to others there!! My husband was the one setting up the restrictions on the computers and making sure that everyones computers stayed up and running...... he did have access to a phone daily and the computer so we were lucky - no reason for any other access - he never mentioned having to purchase satalite access but he had access all the time.... Maybe someone should work out a way to donate the $ needed to access satalite email - set up a computer and have free access funded by donations??

My husband was also sharing a room with 3 other guys on cots with no tv - we bought a dvd player for him and as far as I know there was not satalite tv at the time either - so sounds like things are getting better in the way of entertainment at least... NOT saying it is good over there by any means - I could not sleep by the sound of gun fire myself......

I hope you husband is home safe and sound very quickly.....
Hugs,
Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLS881
Take a look at www.anysoldier.com You'll find who you're looking for.
Thank you so much for this site. Our son returned from Iraq on April 18, 2004 and there was kind of a "withdrawal" to not constantly be watching for things to put in a care package. It would be great to be able to send to those who maybe are not getting anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 08:08 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I agee - he has it better than others - but TV's, etc. only make it tolerable, I guess.

Thanks for your thoughts...he'll be home in late August for 2 weeks leave and hopefuly home in the state before Christmas.....he's been gone one and off since 7/2/04 between school and the pre-deployment stuff. I've seen him maybe 3 weeks all together since then. And he's in the National Guard - not even regular military.
Reply With Quote Likes