Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2005, 05:58 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sam's Club put image on cake.

My niece wanted Monkey Business for her birthday this summer so I bought it and used it to decorate a gable box. Her mom took the cardfront off the box and brought it in to Sam's Club and they scanned it and added the image to her birthday cake.

Here's some pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Sam's Club put image on cake.-db-monkey3.jpg   Sam's Club put image on cake.-db-monkey4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 06:07 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

How cute is that?!! What a great idea!!

Kathryn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 06:14 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Very cute! I think walmard does the same thing...as far as putting an image on a cake!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 06:20 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

That is really cute.

For my baby shower a friend had Sams Club scan my twins ultrasound pictures onto the cake. Lets just say that was really weird and no one wanted to eat that part.

It is a great idea with the right pictures ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a neat idea! I knew they could scan photos, but I never thought about a stamped card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 08:03 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Very cute, but...

Isn't this against SU copyright/angel policy? Can images be
reproduced without "stamping" them?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I suspect that yes, that is a violation of copyright law, unfortunately.

I don't know if many are aware, but there is a wonderful product out there called rice paper, and you can STAMP directly on it, using FDA approved food dies. Wash your stamps thoroughly with soap and water, rinsing well. When dry, you can apply the food dye that comes in a kinda pasty/creamy form, to the stamp and then stamp onto this edible paper. Can stain your stamps rather horridly, tho . . . Be prepared to clean up immediately after use.

Then, when dry, you can cut out the image and apply it to the smoothed out frosting on your cake, and it absorbs/blends down into the frosting, etc. It is REALLY cool!!!

I don't know where you get the paper--a friend had sent me some, and I tried it on cupcakes!! FUN! But, you might try your local bakery, or the bake shop at the grocery store, or even probably find it online.

Somehow, in the back of my mind, I recall seeing it recently at Wilton cake aisle at Michael's, too????? But, Michael's is an hour from me, so I cannot skip on over to verify that for anybody . . . :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 08:24 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

3 years ago, we did the same thing.. long before i was big big big into stamping and even knew of a copyright law. we used a retired stampinup set for invites, and had walmart scan it onto my cake. it was really cute!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I don't know if many are aware, but there is a wonderful product out there called rice paper, and you can STAMP directly on it, using FDA approved food dies. Wash your stamps thoroughly with soap and water, rinsing well. When dry, you can apply the food dye that comes in a kinda pasty/creamy form, to the stamp and then stamp onto this edible paper. Can stain your stamps rather horridly, tho . . . Be prepared to clean up immediately after use.

Then, when dry, you can cut out the image and apply it to the smoothed out frosting on your cake, and it absorbs/blends down into the frosting, etc. It is REALLY cool!!!
I've heard of rice paper. How cool is that!?

Thanks for that info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I love this idea! We made my son's wedding invitations and I'm going to take one to Sam's to be put on their cake for the day after when we have gift opening.

If it is a copyright law, do you really think they will come after someone who just wanted to put a copy of their card, invite, ect. on one measly personal cake when they can't even stop people from selling thousands of dollars on Ebay? I know rules are rules but please, put this in context and common sense, I really think SU would.

Heck, if that's the case I'll give them the leftover cake! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwlover
I love this idea! We made my son's wedding invitations and I'm going to take one to Sam's to be put on their cake for the day after when we have gift opening.

If it is a copyright law, do you really think they will come after someone who just wanted to put a copy of their card, invite, ect. on one measly personal cake when they can't even stop people from selling thousands of dollars on Ebay? I know rules are rules but please, put this in context and common sense, I really think SU would.

Heck, if that's the case I'll give them the leftover cake! LOL
Actually, if SU got wind of this, they probably would send a letter or something to Sam's Club (not the person ordering the cake) reminding them to check/verify images before they put them on a cake.

I think it is a super-cute idea, though!

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I know it's not quite the same, but if you don't have rice paper and the special food ink, I have made cake "picks" to stick into the cake. Just stamp the image twice, cut out, and sandwich a toothpick in between the two images when adhering them together. Then the cardstock/ink doesn't touch the part you eat. This is great for cupcakes and for super easy decorating of large cakes. And, the "picks" serve as a way to keep plastic wrap off the frosting if you've made a great big shaped cake that doesn't fit under another type of cover.

Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #13  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to remember seeing signs up at Kinkos regarding copying pages of books along the lines of it's okay to make one copy of a book or something if it's for your own personal use - for example, I used to copy cross stitch patterns so I could get them enlarged and easier for me to read.

I think one copy of something for a cake would fall into the same thing - now if you're making several cakes and selling them at the bakery, SU might just come after you for that.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by newstamperamy
Actually, if SU got wind of this, they probably would send a letter or something to Sam's Club (not the person ordering the cake) reminding them to check/verify images before they put them on a cake.

I think it is a super-cute idea, though!
Yeah, I'm thinking the poor employees at the bakery would be the ones to catch it, not the person who had the cake made.

As far as stopping dishonest demos who sell current product on eBay, well, it's kinda like killing a roach in your kitchen. For every one you catch, there are hundreds more hiding in the walls... :rolleyes: (yeah, I know it's a bit of a nasty comparison, but I live in coastal Georgia and dealing with those suckers and their giant cousins the palmettos is a way of life)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh, I just KNEW policy would come up here. Oh well, if you see the police coming, you can just EAT THE EVIDENCE.

I really hope you enjoyed your cake!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #16  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=nancystamps] just EAT THE EVIDENCE.QUOTE]

I like the way you think!

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

My thoughts exactly! I hope the cake was good, and your neice had a great party!

PS - really cute cake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystamps
Oh, I just KNEW policy would come up here. Oh well, if you see the police coming, you can just EAT THE EVIDENCE.

I really hope you enjoyed your cake!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy-crafter
Isn't this against SU copyright/angel policy? Can images be
reproduced without "stamping" them?

Just curious.
I was waiting for someone to bring this up...it actually took a lot longer than I thought! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Rice Paper vs Rice Paper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I don't know if many are aware, but there is a wonderful product out there called rice paper, and you can STAMP directly on it, using FDA approved food dies. . . . :(
Remember that you will want to look for EDIBLE Rice Paper. The other kind, long used for printmaking and watercolors is not meant to be eaten. Some of the edible rice paper is heavier than what you would put on a cake. It is for wrapping steamed foods. Asian markets carry it.
There is something online called Kopykake. It comes in sizes to match cake pans. (I haven't tried it.)
You can also read a TON of information regarding rice paper here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/rice-paper
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
Remember that you will want to look for EDIBLE Rice Paper. The other kind, long used for printmaking and watercolors is not meant to be eaten. Some of the edible rice paper is heavier than what you would put on a cake. It is for wrapping steamed foods. Asian markets carry it.
There is something online called Kopykake. It comes in sizes to match cake pans. (I haven't tried it.)
You can also read a TON of information regarding rice paper here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/rice-paper
I only used rice paper once, I found it a bit difficult to use--but that is just me. And with all you ladies trying to stamp food last Holiday season, it prompted me to find Icing Paper--what Sam's club/Walmart used to put the image on the cake. It is a specially formulated icing that is the weight of cardstock--it actually goes through a computer printer--hence the needed weight. At any rate, you stamp it and place it on newly frosted goodies. It melts in but the image doesn't bleed! Very Cool. The first batch I purchased got used up by my kids--oh so fun to personalize cookies and cup cakes. The sheets come in rectangles, 3" circles and 2" circles.

HTH
Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRapt
I only used rice paper once, I found it a bit difficult to use--but that is just me. And with all you ladies trying to stamp food last Holiday season, it prompted me to find Icing Paper--what Sam's club/Walmart used to put the image on the cake. It is a specially formulated icing that is the weight of cardstock--it actually goes through a computer printer--hence the needed weight. At any rate, you stamp it and place it on newly frosted goodies. It melts in but the image doesn't bleed! Very Cool. The first batch I purchased got used up by my kids--oh so fun to personalize cookies and cup cakes. The sheets come in rectangles, 3" circles and 2" circles.

HTH
Annette
I have to ask, then, when you used this icing paper....did you use food coloring to stamp with, or did you use stampin up ink?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Wow! Great job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrisella
I have to ask, then, when you used this icing paper....did you use food coloring to stamp with, or did you use stampin up ink?
Food coloring of course! I know folks on SCS have used SU ink thinking it was okay since it was non-toxic. In my humble opinion, yuck! I don't let my kiddos eat crayola markers and crayons because they are non-toxic. I have instructions in my product gallery how to make a food coloring stamp pad, I have links to McCormick site for the recipes (# of drops of different food coloring) to get a fun range of colors using the 4 colors you buy and I also sell food coloring markers (if you can't find them at your local craft store) and use them just like you would your other markers on the rubber. HTH

Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2005, 08:10 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I think this cake was a great idea, really cute! I would do it! Wish I had known about it last year for my son's bday.

As for the Angle policy and not recreating anything by say copying methods, well wouldn't that somehow apply to all of us scanning and posting our cards? I believe the not reproduicing by copying methods is in regards to then selling the product, say reproducing cards by electronic copy methods and then selling them at a craft fair.

And this recopy of the card was totally innocent, done by someone who had recieved the card and would have likely had no idea there was a possible no copy law on a lovely hand made card. One copy for personal use no big deal. Especially after all of the evidence was eaten!

K
Reply With Quote Likes