Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ribbon Help!!!

I posted this on another forum but didn't get any response so I'll post it here in hopes some more people see it.

I'm trying to figure out how people are attaching their ribbon to cards, like the one shown here

Is your ribbon wrapped around the whole cardstock and shows up on the inside of your card too? or is there a trick I'm missing?

Normally I use a layer of DP or CS and wrap by ribbon behind it, then adhere it to the front of my card, but I really like the look of this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you look in that artist's gallery, you'll see the inside of the card. She wrapped it around the front of the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Susan, this isn't my card, but I know how I would do this (and it would look the same). The ribbon is visible on the inside of the card. What you do is punch a small hole where you want your bow to sit. Then take one end of the ribbon and thread it through the hole from back to front and pull it through far enough to be able to tie one half of the bow. Then take the other end of the ribbon (hanging out of the back of your card) pass it around the back of the card, right around the front and then return to your punched hole and push your end of ribbon through it. You now have a band of ribbon right around your piece of card and two ends hanging out at the front. Making sure the horizontal band of ribbon sits between the two hanging ends, tie your bow. This sounds complicated when written down, but really it is so simple. I hope this works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the tip on punching the hole where the bow should sit. I''l try that next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

French Chablis - I had to read the instructions a few times to wrap my head around the idea, but now that I have it that's a really neat trick.

I'm wondering if there is another, alternate way to do this kind of thing without the ribbon showing on the inside?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't like my ribbon showing on the inside of my card...so I cut two lengths of ribbon and attach one to the underside of each side of the DP and then tie as usual...I think I linked one example below...

img042_by_Jennaz by Jennaz at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I like to wrap around my card. I think it just looks prettier. BUT it's a personal preference. Looking at the picture she wrapped it around the outer piece. Probably just glue the edges to the side of the paper and then adhere the bow to it. I use to do that but just fell in love with going around. Yes it takes up more ribbon but I buy them by the yard when they're on sale ($1-$3 for 5-20yrds) and so far my ribbons are still going strong I only splurge on SU and PTI ribbons, no sales there, but even with those, I haven't had to buy another spool and I've been using some for years. But then I have a whole bucket full of ribbon... I have a weakness for ribbon sales :P

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I actually tied the bow with the ribbon on the card! Then glue dotted the loops to hold them in place....that being said, I have such a hard time with them. One bow can take me 30min to get just 'right'. Below is another one I tied to the DP. It doesn't look as great cuz it was about 1:30am when I was doing it!

img048_by_Jennaz by Jennaz at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I rarely have the ribbon show on the inside. I prefer to wrap it around the layered piece and tuck the ends in back. It saves on ribbon and I just don't like anything to show on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

That is what I do too, wrap the ribbon around my matted piece and then mount it onto my card, but I do wrap the ribbon in the way I described above. Sorry the instructions are a bit long winded but honestly once you have a go at it, it is so easy, just difficult to explain!!! I also like this technique because it keeps the ribbon and bow securely in place. I have found before that if I use glue dots under the ribbon, it always shows in some way. If I want to be a bit frugal with my ribbon or I don't want such a big showy bow, I take a length of ribbon a couple of inches longer than my card front, tie a knot in the middle and then stick the two ends under each side of my top matted piece. This can look very sophisticated but also a bit more restrained for when over the top girliness is not required!!!!

I am so pleased these instructions have been helpful anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Savitri, where do you get $1-$3 for 5-20 yards of ribbon? I'd love to know since I'm a ribbon fanatic, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by putriView Post
I like to wrap around my card. I think it just looks prettier. BUT it's a personal preference. Looking at the picture she wrapped it around the outer piece. Probably just glue the edges to the side of the paper and then adhere the bow to it. I use to do that but just fell in love with going around. Yes it takes up more ribbon but I buy them by the yard when they're on sale ($1-$3 for 5-20yrds) and so far my ribbons are still going strong I only splurge on SU and PTI ribbons, no sales there, but even with those, I haven't had to buy another spool and I've been using some for years. But then I have a whole bucket full of ribbon... I have a weakness for ribbon sales :P
Reply With Quote Likes