Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about submitting projects for publication

I have never submitted anything for publication, but have thought about doing it sometime when I get more time. I have read previous threads about the subject and learned that most publications require the use of current/available supplies. However, for some reason when I read that, I was just assuming the use of non-retired or otherwise unavailable stamps. The more I think about it though, it occurs to me that this applies to all the supplies used.

So now I wonder about my cardstock. A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase a bulk amount of various colors of Prism cardstock from my LSS at a discounted rate. I purchased a massive amount of cardstock with the plan to never really have to purchase cardstock again because I would have a ready supply to match up with any pattern paper I buy. This has worked out wonderfully for me. Now the problem is that Prism is no longer in business. I realize Bazzil has purchased some of the colors or something like that, but I am not sure exactly how that worked.

Does this mean that I cannot use that cardstock on projects I submit for publication because Prism is no longer in business? To me, cardstock shouldn't really matter because there are so many companies available that if someone really liked the color in the project, they could find a very close match with other companies.

Secondly, I am a compulsive buyer of patterned paper. I have a collection from many different companies and spanning several years. Is patterned paper something else that I must use the most current lines available?

Thirdly, how do you handle certain supplies that you don't know the manufacturer? Would you not use those supplies in lieu of ones you can attribute the source? For instance, I have a large collection of embellishments that I have in storage boxes, but did not save the boxes or record the source. Some I can make an educated guess, but others I am clueless.

The reason I ask all this is because I need to cut my spending and would hate to have to purchase new supplies, especially for things I have in abundance (cardstock, patterned paper, embellies) just for the purpose of submitting for publication. Sorry for the long post. Any advice or tips regarding submissions will be greatly appreciated.

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They want all current supplies. They want it that way so someone can look at the supply list and duplicate the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with jeanne. Current stock from patterned paper to embellishments is what they look for. Because the popular patterned papers are easily identified it's pretty easy to spot if they are retired or not. On one card I used some black and white flowery buttons that were literally from a jar of my grandmas. I wrote "my craft supply" as the source. The card got published and a lady contacted the editor of the magazine saying she was looking for those buttons. The editor contacted me. I felt so guilty I sent the lady 6 buttons from my stash because there was no way she could have found them. Then another lady contacted me direct. She was in Australia I think and I sent her some too. I felt so guility that it was not a readily available product. I'm pretty careful about using current product but I find that alone has curbed my spending as I'm pretty careful about what I buy now. I also share 12x12 sheets of paper with a friend. I've never even used half a sheet so that works for me. As far as cardstock what you could do, for a minimal cost, is buy a multi pack of assorted colours from Papertrey. That stock will never be discontinued and you can designate it for cards you make for submission. Hope that helps....although I think my response was very random. haha.

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes, current for everything including your patterned papers etc. Bazzill use the name "Prismatics" for the colors they took over from Prism - you can see the range on the Bazzill web site here so you may be able to rescue some of your Prism from the stack and use it for projects you submit, just use Bazzill as the manufacturer name.

Some places will take a project with an element that's from a non-specific source if it plays a minor role in the design and is generic in nature. I've had cards published with "silk ribbon" in the supply list with no manufacturer or source given.

With vintage or recycled items, I think as soon as it becomes distinctive and therefore a key element in the way the design works it's best to avoid it. A plain shirt button would probably be OK but not those flowery buttons of Char's (sorry you ended up sending out from your personal stash, especially as it was your grandma's!).

HTH - good luck if you decide to start submitting!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow01View Post
I agree with jeanne. Current stock from patterned paper to embellishments is what they look for. Because the popular patterned papers are easily identified it's pretty easy to spot if they are retired or not. On one card I used some black and white flowery buttons that were literally from a jar of my grandmas. I wrote "my craft supply" as the source. The card got published and a lady contacted the editor of the magazine saying she was looking for those buttons. The editor contacted me. I felt so guilty I sent the lady 6 buttons from my stash because there was no way she could have found them. Then another lady contacted me direct. She was in Australia I think and I sent her some too. I felt so guility that it was not a readily available product. I'm pretty careful about using current product but I find that alone has curbed my spending as I'm pretty careful about what I buy now. I also share 12x12 sheets of paper with a friend. I've never even used half a sheet so that works for me. As far as cardstock what you could do, for a minimal cost, is buy a multi pack of assorted colours from Papertrey. That stock will never be discontinued and you can designate it for cards you make for submission. Hope that helps....although I think my response was very random. haha.

Wow, great story about the buttons to illustrate the point. I guess I just think differently when it comes to all this. When I see other people's work, I never think about reproducing the project exactly. I may use it as inspiration for colors, design or so forth, but adapt it using my own stamps, colors, embellishments, etc. I have thought about purchasing the variety pack of PTI papers, but feel really guilty about purchasing more cardstock with all the Prism paper I own. Especially since I have a feeling I will totally fall in love with the heavy weight of the PTI cardstock and then want to buy whole packs of colors. Thanks for your reply! It wasn't random at all.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Yes, current for everything including your patterned papers etc. Bazzill use the name "Prismatics" for the colors they took over from Prism - you can see the range on the Bazzill web site here so you may be able to rescue some of your Prism from the stack and use it for projects you submit, just use Bazzill as the manufacturer name.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That link is exactly what I needed. Bazzill still has many of the colors of the Prism colors I have. I wasn't sure how the Prism/Bazzill deal worked. I thought that Bazzill matched some of the Prism colors, but used their own textures for the paper. I am happy to see that it appears to be the same texture as the former Prism paper. So I just need to make sure I stick with those colors and submit under the Bazzill name.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

There are some publications (such as the Stampington publications) that don't really care about the age of the product or the exact identity/manufacturer. I do believe that the stamps however must be current.

I would suggest picking up a few different magazines to see how they list their products. As you will see in Take Ten the details for the product are very basic with little detail.

CARDS magazine does not require specific colours of cardstock, just the manufacturer. In the past I've had cards published with them were I have used "general craft supply" for buttons and other crafty type stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm really not considering submitting anything for publication in the near future (or every for the matter), but I'm curious about using digi papers since they are usually available indefinitely. I often print my own patterned papers from ones that I've designed myself. I wonder if they would accept that since I know from my designing days that most digi scrap designers leave their work available for purchase for years sometimes... Also, I'm wondering about things like if you make your own embellishments, like flowers and such, if you hand cut them... Just curious to see what the answer would be from the magazines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Also, I'm wondering about things like if you make your own embellishments, like flowers and such, if you hand cut them... Just curious to see what the answer would be from the magazines.
Not sure about others but Paper Crafts asks you to supply templates for shaped stuff so I would guess that hand cut flowers would fall into that category unless it's a really, really simple shape. They have a "hand made embellishments" feature coming up later in the year (July/August issue) so we might get to see how they deal with that question, depending on what kind of projects they picked up.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I'm really not considering submitting anything for publication in the near future (or every for the matter), but I'm curious about using digi papers since they are usually available indefinitely. I often print my own patterned papers from ones that I've designed myself. I wonder if they would accept that since I know from my designing days that most digi scrap designers leave their work available for purchase for years sometimes... Also, I'm wondering about things like if you make your own embellishments, like flowers and such, if you hand cut them... Just curious to see what the answer would be from the magazines.
To chime in again. I've had a hybrid card (stamping and digital) published using digital papers and elements in Cards magazine. I had to list the designer of the digital paper/elements and the link to where I found it online.

I'm not sure with digital papers you create yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I know Scrap & Stamp Arts doesn't seem to mind older products. With Paper Crafts and CardMaker, I try to submit projects with the most recent product as far as patterned paper, stamps and even embellishments. They are working so many months in advance that using the most current product helps get noticed...

I noticed the OP is from Sanford, I live in Bear Creek! Just cool to see someone so close
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Default Just Cards Birthdays 2

I just got published in Just Cards and in the description they altered the materials list that I submitted. I listed exact colors and brand names used and they shortened it to "patterned paper", "mint green cardstock", "Color with Bic markers and Prismacolor pencils" and "ink edges." And for a sentiment, I thought I gave the name of the stamp used but they wrote "source unknown". This is the first time I've ever been published and I apparently over-thought the details of my materials list (although it would be nice to know why they picked the card they kept and sent back my other submissions and know if my list of materials made a difference). I say use what you have and don't worry so much about buying new stuff.
Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I suggest you check out with the publisher what is their requirement first before submitting or going out to buy. I find the requirement to use recent supplies too restrictive. If I want to get anything new I will just look into the 'What's New' section of the magazine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you to everyone for your replies. You really have shed some light on the whole process. I too find some of the rules restrictive when it comes to current products. I find that probably 3/4 of my stamp collection would not be accepted in some publications. Same with my pattern paper. I don't really keep current with pattern paper because I like to buy what I can see in the store, especially my LSS. So I am somewhat bound to what those stores offer, which isn't necessarily the most recent products.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbucks_stamperView Post
I know Scrap & Stamp Arts doesn't seem to mind older products. With Paper Crafts and CardMaker, I try to submit projects with the most recent product as far as patterned paper, stamps and even embellishments. They are working so many months in advance that using the most current product helps get noticed...

I noticed the OP is from Sanford, I live in Bear Creek! Just cool to see someone so close
Just wanted to let you know I sent a PM.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer RView Post
There are some publications (such as the Stampington publications) that don't really care about the age of the product or the exact identity/manufacturer. I do believe that the stamps however must be current.
The stamps do not have to be current in the Stampington publications. Nothing has to be current. The Stampington publications are only interested in your art. Stampington previously required just a notation of the stamps used, but they now want more information on other supplies used. The latest Take Ten and Stampers' Sampler magazines have new info on submission guidelines in the Letter from the Editor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda sView Post
The stamps do not have to be current in the Stampington publications. Nothing has to be current. The Stampington publications are only interested in your art. Stampington previously required just a notation of the stamps used, but they now want more information on other supplies used. The latest Take Ten and Stampers' Sampler magazines have new info on submission guidelines in the Letter from the Editor.
Thank you for the information. I will have to check them out!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

What an interesting thread. I have wondered about many of the things discussed here too. I have never been published but have been in touch with others that have. I get the impression that 'Patience' is the key word....one girl that I am in touch with is so well known and it took her over a year of submitting before she even had one card published and her cards are wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
I get the impression that 'Patience' is the key word....
That and a thick skin! You really can't take it personally when your submissions don't get picked up. You have try to see it as a result of your project just not fitting what the mag wanted for that issue, not necessarily as a reflection on its quality. You also can't assume that once you've had things published, your success rate will automatically go up. I recently submitted five projects to a publication I've been successful with in the past and got no love this time. That's fine, I have blog fodder and I can try new projects for the next call

Interesting info on Stampington, thanks Glenda! I love thier magazines although I don't really create in their "typical" style.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have another question just for curiosity's sake... Do most magazines require you to send in the actual card or do you submit a photo and then send the card if its selected?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Just messaged you back

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckygalView Post
Just wanted to let you know I sent a PM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I have another question just for curiosity's sake... Do most magazines require you to send in the actual card or do you submit a photo and then send the card if its selected?
It varies - some do it one way and some do it the other. If they require the actual project for the selection process, you can get it back by including a return (paid) envelope or you can donate it (many mags have charities they support with donated submissions). The same applies if you mail your project in after it's been selected from a photo submission - you can choose to have it returned (usually paid for by the mag) or donate it.

The mags publish details of their submission process, either in the magazine itself or on their web sites. Make sure you stick to any guidelines for the submssion (for example, some places won't take projects that have been shared on blogs or online galleries, don't want watermarks on photos etc).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
What an interesting thread. I have wondered about many of the things discussed here too. I have never been published but have been in touch with others that have. I get the impression that 'Patience' is the key word....one girl that I am in touch with is so well known and it took her over a year of submitting before she even had one card published and her cards are wonderful.
And that's the exact reason why I never try. There is so much talent out there that I don't think I could even come close.

This a very interesting and enlightening thread though. It sounds like an awful lot of work not to mention the expense of trying to keep current on so many products.
Reply With Quote Likes