Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re: stamp sets

I can't find that this question has been asked or discussed before, so if it has, please forgive me...

I am curious if anyone has ever broke up their stamp sets and categorized them with their "other" stamps... if so, are you happy with that decision or do you wish you hadn't done it... I think there are a lot of my stamps that I just don't use because they are not readily available without hunting them out...

I do index all my stamp sets, but I find that I don't really want to go through all those pages of images just to see what I have... I'm thinking if all the stamps were just categorized with my non SU-stamps then I might get more diversity from them...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions.
Smiles, Julia
Pleasantwords are as a honeycomb; sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 07:11 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julia, I used to do that -- I had all of my stamps sorted into different categories and stored in acrylic picture frame "trays." This was long before I became an SU demo though.

I think, as long as you keep a record of the sets and what stamps are included in them, then you won't have any problems. The one problem I had was when I went to sell a few sets, I accidentally overlooked one of the stamps that should have gone with a set I sold ! By the time I came across the lone stamp, I had NO idea anymore who had bought the set.

I'd say sort however works best for you...HTH!

Last edited by MSBetsyZ; 04-26-2005 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 07:17 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I tried that and regretted it. I had even given my SU boxes to my demo since I wasn't going to use them. I ended up crawling to her and asking for them back because I couldn't find what I wanted when I wanted it. Plus, since I found SCS, I get great ideas for each set, so it's easier for me to keep them together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I have a friend who does this - she even buys different cases for them at the dollar store. She likes her system alright, but has started regretting it recently. She can't remember what stamps go with what sets and her card seem to lack the little extras - you know those extra stamps that could be used for fillers or backgrounds... She also does not remember which sentiments go with which sets - not a big deal, but it IS starting to bother her lately. She cannot sell any of her sets because of this. Hope this helps you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

No, no, no... can't do it!! (visual: fingers in ears, singing nah, nah, nah, nah, nah). I get the shakes and hives just thinking about it! But, my aunt does. All of her stamp sets are separated. She keeps all of her stamps on big cookie sheets that are labeled by category and kept on short (height not depth) shelves. She loves it, and couldn't imagine doing it any other way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 08:04 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I've done it with some of mine, but I'm not a demo so I don't have nearly the amount of stamps that others have. I've done it with like the phrases and Happy Birthdays because one set might have one Happy Bday and I won't even think of it so I put the bdays all together. It works ok for me, but like I said, I don't have the number of stamps that a lot of people here have so it's probably a lot more manageable for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

My sister did that for my Mom over Christmas without telling me. All the flowers together, all the sayings together, yada yada yada. Well, as a demo it drove me nuts. I had trouble finding all the pieces for a particular stamp set that I wanted to use at an upcoming workshop. Needles to say, they are all safely back in their original cases. btw, I try to tell my Mom she can only purchase stamp sets that I don't have. };> haha Sometimes she obliges sometimes she doesn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default seperating sets

I don't separate my sets because I'm afraid, like others, that I wouldn't be able to find them. I recently reorganized my stamp sets and love my new system. I have 8 drawers that hold about 12 - 14 sets per drawer (two layers) I alphabetized them and keep a master list and labeled the drawer with the alphabet (A-C, etc.) I keep a binder of sample cards by set alphabetically with a picture of the set on the first page. This way I don't have to dig through my drawers, I know just which drawer to go to for the set I want. It didn't take as long as you think to do this. An hour or so and it was worth it! My stamp area has never been so neat!
The stamps that are not stampin up I keep in a drawer by themselves but I rarely go in there because I have to dig through them and there is no system in place because they are random.
Hope this helps with your decision to separate or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I have a binder with about 40 different categories. And I have stamped each image into it's category and written the stamp set name underneath it. When I'm looking for a heart, I turn to the "heart" category, pick the one I like, then get out the set.

This system has helped me immensely, and I would be lost (or searching forever) without it. But I would never want to break up my sets, because all the stamps in a set coordinate so perfectly. Like another poster said, the filler stamp that comes with a set goes perfectly with all the images, and when I'm looking for the perfect finishing touch, it's right there.

Rebecca
And I learn more everyday from this WONDERFUL site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't do it! I have catalogs going back 8 years, so I can find what goes where if they get misplaced. Since the index has only been there in the last few years, it is a major PITA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have all my sets in the original boxes. I am such an A type personality that I couldn't do it any other way.
But, when I get a new set (& I have done this to all my sets) I give them a # & on the end of each wood block I put the # & my initials. I also make another label with the #, name of set & # of stamps in the set. I know this is on the sheet we get. I put that on the front of the box. But being clear, it is harder for me to read. I make white labels so it is easier for me to read them. This also helps if I take them to a crop or stamp club & someone else uses them. I know which ones are mine & which set they belong to.
I don't think I could seperate my stamp sets.....the would be lonely without their buddies with them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had posted this question a couple of months ago and was advised not to and I am glad I listened. I ended up starting a stamp index binder where I stamped each stamp image I have, keeping the sets together and writing the name of the set. This has worked great for me because since I am such a visual person I can thumb through my index and even hold images from different sets up to other stamps to see how they go together. Since they are stamped they are actual size, whereas,previously I had highlighted my catalogs and sometimes the stamps were not pictured at actual size. I stamped them in grey and now when I buy a new set I scan and print the label sheet for my binder before I assemble the set. I also have a section for wheels where I wheel a row of each. This also helps to show you where you might need a certain theme. For example, I need to buy a birthday set that is geared to children. Also, shows me that I have a weakness for flowers and hearts - LOL! I haven't put in dividers yet, but I do have them categorized within the binder. For example, I have all my background stamps together, all florals and hearts together and a section for children's stamp designs and an alphabet section. I put each page in a sheet protector and have now made a mark with a wipe off marker next to some that I am going to sell. Helps in that way, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

I do the same thing with my initials and a number for each set. there are about 6 of us that get together to stamp and this way, I know what is mine and what isn't. I also put my name or initials on everything of mine so that I get all my stuff back.
I also stamp a sample of each set and keep that in a book. I have a friend that separates them and it just make me crazy.

DEB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

I personally can't bring myself to separate them, I love having all pieces of the sets together. I read in a magazine once that another way to index them is to buy a rolodex, stamp the image on a card, write the name of the set on the card, and index it by theme, like "Animals", "Flowers", "Words", etc. Seemed like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I am chuckling here,, sorry, not at all of you. My sets are all in their boxes too and I cant imagine anyone splitting them up to catagorize them but my sister has done this. She has different organizational skills than I do, I guess. I just recently cleaned out my stamp set drawers and marked them all on the edge and then I stood them on edge in the drawer too. It holds more sets that way. Each drawer is a sorta catagory - Christmas one, other holidays, flowers and nature, general card, word and loners(meaning nonSU) and then I have a drawer for the small sets of four stamps like the hostess sets. I have a whole drawer of those and they are my favs. I found several sets with no names on the container and I had to look them up so I could mark them. I also looked at an old catalog of SU - 1994 - I believe. It is back when they did single stamps and not all the sets. It is unbelievable how far they have come. If you ever get a chance to look at an old catalog, do it. You will be surprised. I wish now that I had kept a notebook of all my stamps with the images and the price. It would be a huge job now but well worth it.
Thanks for the smile today with this question and be assured that all my stamps are staying in their proper boxes where they belong. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rreinhardt
I have a binder with about 40 different categories. And I have stamped each image into it's category and written the stamp set name underneath it. When I'm looking for a heart, I turn to the "heart" category, pick the one I like, then get out the set.

This system has helped me immensely, and I would be lost (or searching forever) without it. But I would never want to break up my sets, because all the stamps in a set coordinate so perfectly. Like another poster said, the filler stamp that comes with a set goes perfectly with all the images, and when I'm looking for the perfect finishing touch, it's right there.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the categories that you would want to share? I've thought of doing this myself but every time I look at my stamps or even think about it, feel a bit overwhelmed about starting this project.

Thanks!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

A trick my demo taught me was to make two copies of the contents of the stamp set. One goes into the box with the stamps and one into a binder all are numbered in both the binder and on the stamp set. Never have any trouble figuring out what goes where and you can thumb through your binder when you know you have something but just can't remember the name.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaceysMom
I tried that and regretted it. I couldn't find what I wanted when I wanted it. Plus, since I found SCS, I get great ideas for each set, so it's easier for me to keep them together.
Me too....I had labeleld the ends of the blocks as to what set they went to but I had a hardtime finding all the co-ordinating stamps when i wanted to use the set.... Now I keep them in the sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Splitting up sets

Alright, I'll step in and say that I do break up some of my sets and the way I have done it has not created any havoc or confusion about what goes with what set.
Here's my method:
Every set or stamp that I buy gets entered in a stamp index. Before I cut up the decals for the SU sets, I make a photocopy of the sheet and place it in the box. After indexing, I separate out all the word stamps and they go into an apppropriate container (birthday, get well) in a specific drawer. On the end of each of these word stamps I have written with a fine pigma marker what set the word is from.
The reason I did this is because I found myself "forgetting" that I had all these wonderful words and phrase stamps.....this is no longer a problem because the sentiment stamps are all together and I can pick the one that fits or works with the card. If I'm using a stamp set, a quick glance at the stamp sheet inside the box lets me know if there were any word stamps that "matched".
This modified way of separating out sets has really worked well for me and I would NOT go back to having the words with the sets.
Just my 2 cents worth!
Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I keep mine together until I decide to slim down my sets and sell some. Then I take out what I want (maybe one stamp per set) and then sell the set with a note stating incomplete. I don't have any problems selling anything and I'm happy keeping a few favorite stamps here and there. By doing this I don't have to keep a set just for one stamp. I have a SU box labeled "SU Odds n Ends" that I put the individual stamps in, so they are together too. I also put my name on each stamp and keep a binder with all of my sets and stamps logged so I don't get duplicates.
Hope this helps you decide either way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Default splitting up stamp sets

I do not split up my stamp sets. However, to make it easy to find what I do have when I have a certain need, I have a notebook system. My best friend, whom I stamp with alot, came up with this idea, and now I do it too. I have a three ring binder with the plastic protector sheets. In the front are pages of the whole stamp sets I have, which I just stamped on copy paper with black ink. I wrote the name of the set in red above the stampings, and drew a double red line between each stamped set. (I also have pages titled Individual Stamps for those older stamps that are non-SU)

Then my divided sections start. At the top, I have three columns, for example, Baby Stamp, Baby Phrase, Set/ Christmas Stamp, Christmas Phrase, Set/ Congratulations Stamp, Congratulations Phrase, Set/ Easter Stamp, Easter Phrase, Set/ Friendship Stamp, Friendship Phrase, Set, etc. The other categories I have are Get Well, Happy Birthday, Stamped By, Thank You, Thinking of You, Valentines Day, Wedding,Anniversary, To and From. Between each line of stamps, I drew a double red line to keep them separated.

If I need a birthday phrase, I just go to the birthday section, and see what phrases I have, pick one, and look at what set it is in. Some stamps can be used in different categories, so I put them wherever I think they fit.

Although it takes a while to set up, it is quick and easy to use once you have it.

Sorry this is so long and hope it helps someone!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 04:22 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinvicki
Hi Rebecca,

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the categories that you would want to share? I've thought of doing this myself but every time I look at my stamps or even think about it, feel a bit overwhelmed about starting this project.

Thanks!!
Sure I do! I will attach it to this post. I've also added 2 more categories since I made this index: Winter/Snow/Cold and Teeny-Bopper (for sets like Girlfriends and Pocket Fun that don't really fit the Child category).

Also, since I have so many categories, I did not want to have a tab for each one! So I numbered my tabs, and I have about 5 categories under each tab. That's what the red number beside each category refers to - the tab it is under.

Rebecca
Attached Files
File Type: doc Stamp set category binder index.doc (32.5 KB, 31 views)
And I learn more everyday from this WONDERFUL site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinvicki
Hi Rebecca,

Thanks!!
I'm not the original poster, but I use a similar system, and find that it works great (especially for my non-SU stamps). The categories you use will depend upon your stamping tastes. To start, gather all your stamps together and start sorting them into piles where you see similarities. These are my categories: alphabets, angels, animals, archaeology, architecture, Asian, baby, backgrounds, birds, botanicals, bugs, butterflies, Celtic, Christmas, Europe, exotic, faces, fine art,fish, flowers, frames, hearts, keys, leaves, music, ocean, ornamental, others, patterns, pears, raspberries, romantic, snowflakes, sun moon & stars, teapots, travel, trees, tropical, True North (Canadiana, Arctic), vintage, whimsical, words. These categories seem to cover all my interests, because I only have 4 images on the "other" page (a chess set, a dress form, a crown and a paint brush).

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 02:54 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickelini
I'm not the original poster, but I use a similar system, and find that it works great (especially for my non-SU stamps). The categories you use will depend upon your stamping tastes. To start, gather all your stamps together and start sorting them into piles where you see similarities. These are my categories: alphabets, angels, animals, archaeology, architecture, Asian, baby, backgrounds, birds, botanicals, bugs, butterflies, Celtic, Christmas, Europe, exotic, faces, fine art,fish, flowers, frames, hearts, keys, leaves, music, ocean, ornamental, others, patterns, pears, raspberries, romantic, snowflakes, sun moon & stars, teapots, travel, trees, tropical, True North (Canadiana, Arctic), vintage, whimsical, words. These categories seem to cover all my interests, because I only have 4 images on the "other" page (a chess set, a dress form, a crown and a paint brush).
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! You're the best!! -- Now you know what I'll be doing this weekend (besides some stamping).

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 03:01 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rreinhardt
Sure I do! I will attach it to this post. I've also added 2 more categories since I made this index: Winter/Snow/Cold and Teeny-Bopper (for sets like Girlfriends and Pocket Fun that don't really fit the Child category).

Also, since I have so many categories, I did not want to have a tab for each one! So I numbered my tabs, and I have about 5 categories under each tab. That's what the red number beside each category refers to - the tab it is under.

Rebecca
Hi Rebecca!!

Thank you so very much!! -- This will definitely make indexing my stamps soooo much easier. Now I've got to go out to get myself a binder and some tabs so that I can get started on my new project.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great topic! I'll play!

I have my sets stored according to use. Words, good for scrapbooking, cardmaking, floral, ephemera, alpha and journaling, and holiday.

I only split up the following: mini mates and all year cheer. I condensed the all year cheer into two boxes instead of three. I really don't care about getting them back to the original three sets. I will love them and use them for many years to come and when I use a word for a workshop, (I'm a demo) I just put the one word in the box with the set I'm using for the project and tell the customers that it came from all year cheer.

One space saving tip was that I took the background stamps out of their boxes. I use those boxes for misc tags, small ribbon pieces, fibers, etc.

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can add to the "do not separate" list. I figure SU can do a better job of putting stamps together than I can.They came in sets, they were meant to be together. It would be like breaking up a family.

That being said, this weekend I made "extended" families. :p I finally put my Tool Time and Nuts & Bolts in one case. I am not going to part with them until I part with my husband so I am not too worried about it. I also put all the backgrounds from Little Layers, Little Layers II, and Little Layers Plus in a case with the icons in another. I did mark the ends with LL, 2 or + just incase I ever want to put them back.

I categorize my sets and them alphabetize them by category. I make labels I can read for them with the category and number of stamps in the set. I also keep this info in an excel spread sheet (so I can mail merge to make labels).
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...96403037vRBgLf

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes