Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question for card making ladies

My husband was looking through all of my SU supplies today. Now, to be fair to him, he is very supportive, he loves the cards I make, never complains about any of the money I spend or the space it takes up (thank goodness!!!!). But... he was flipping through all of the card fronts and other samples I have made... he asked me why I do this. I send cards at Christmas, for holidays, etc. I write to quite a few people... but I got to thinking... you know? I'm making cards all the time just to put them in a binder.
I LOVE to make the cards, I stamp all the time. I need help, how many of you stamp mostly to put the cards in binders? What do you do with cards that you make? Do you have tons of cards sitting around?? Am I going to stop making cards? Heck no!! I'm just trying to find some people to tell me I'm not out of the ordinary. Maybe I'm not the only person out there who makes cards just for the sake of making them. Any comments? I just didn't have a good answer for my DH, help!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

It's interesting that you should bring this up now because I've been asking myself the same types of questions over the last couple of weeks. And I've come to some conclusions, for myself, anyway.

I have a lot of hobbies that I enjoy. I stamp. I read. I watch TV. I cook. I scrap. I write. For me, a hobby isn't about the end result -- it's about the process. For instance, I don't read a book just to have read it. I read it because I'm enjoying it. If I pick a book and start it but it's not my cup of tea, I put it aside. There isn't some master list of books out there that I *have* to read -- I read what I want, when I want to.

The same can be said about making cards. I make cards because I enjoy the process -- picking out colors, stamping the images, putting the pieces together. It's not the end result -- the card itself -- that makes me happy, although I do get satisfaction when I make a card I like. It's the actual creativity of making a card that makes me happy.

So, even though before I was feeling that making cards was a waste of time because I'm not the type of person to send out a card for every occasion, now I realize that making cards is not a waste of time because I enjoy it.

Does that make sense?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Said perfectly, Anne...
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

This is just a thought for those of you with cards without homes. The Veterens facility, nusring homes (many are really alone!), Church sick, and elderly, neighbors and the list goes on and on. I know many of most of the members cards rank up there with "works of art" but I know for sure that getting a list of birthdays from your nearest senior care center and sending them or dropping them off would be one of the most rewarding things that you could ever do. I know of people at Christmas that never see a card. I hope this will give you a vision of what to do with those extra cards. Thanks for letting me say my "So"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Glad you posed this question - I was actually thinking of starting a similar thread. Anyway, I can definitely relate to what you wrote. Most of my cards are in baskets and bins. I have given some as gifts, mostly notecards for teachers, and I've thought about trying to sell some of my cards to boutique-y shops - but I haven't really pursued that yet. I guess I stamp just to stamp. But then I crochet just to crochet - most of what I've made is also sitting in baskets and bins, except for a few items which turned out to be gift worthy.

As far as what to do with the cards - there are several charitable organizations that accept them as well. A couple I've learned about here on SCS are:
www.keikicards.org
www.angelstampersforsoldiers.com

There was also another thread recently in which some other charitable organizations are mentioned, as well as other ideas for what to do with all those cards - if you have more than you want to keep. Here's a link to that thread

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Anyway, I tend to get a little more satisfaction out of stamping when I have a specific purpose in mind for what I'm making.

Hope this is helpful.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I would never make card fronts or put them in a binder. I use a lot of reasons to send cards but I certainly have a backlog of them...as most of you I just enjoy the process of making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thank you all!! I had hoped I wasn't the only one who was feeling like maybe making these cards didn't accomplish anything. I love the process, it is calming for me, after teaching 175 kids every day I need something! Thank you to those of you listing organizations, how did I never think of that?! I think that if I have a purpose it will be a much more enjoyable hobby (not that it isn't already). Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been making cards for family and friends, but just making and saving too! I don't feel so bad about it now.

I kept telling myself, when I get good enough I'll sign up for a 1 for 1 card swap.

Maybe next year? Where do you put all the cards while you practice? I'm running out of room!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

jUST WATCH THE FORUM. yOU CAN SEND CARDS FOR a GOOD CAUSE. i DO THIS ALOT. iN FACT i HAVE MY FRIENDS SAVE THURS FOR ME. tHERE IS ONE NOW. i THINK I SAW IT UNDER STAMPING 101. i AM SENDING CARDS FOR IT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #10  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestion about the residents of nursing homes, etc., who would love to get a card on their birthdays. My mom lives in an assisted living facility. I'm going to see if I can get a list of birthdays of other residents, and that's going to be my project! What a great idea.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I put my cards in shoe boxes, I have them in 3 ring binders, I have them in baskets on display... oh I have them everywhere. I always say my cards aren't good enough for swaps too... we'll see... someday I'll decide to do a swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

There is also a website called makeachildsmile.org where you can send a card to a child with a life-threatening illness...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I just really enjoy the craft, I also enjoy scrapbooking. I have three nieces, ages 7, 5 and 2 who enjoy receiving my cards, so I send bunches to them.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Join the RAK group, then you will have a place to send them. There are currently 1500+ splitcoast members. Just an idea. Linda Seaman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

A great idea I have for you all for your piles of pretty cards is for you to give them away as gifts. I love to stamp cards and then put 8 of them in a cello bag with blank envelopes, tie off the top, and then give them to a friend for her birthday. Everyone knows what Maryam is going to give them with their main present!

Thanks for chattin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with what has been said in this thread. I, too, send RAKs, give cards as gifts, and use them for ministry. But I mostly do it because I love to make the cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korillian
I make cards because I enjoy the process -- picking out colors, stamping the images, putting the pieces together. It's not the end result -- the card itself -- that makes me happy, although I do get satisfaction when I make a card I like. It's the actual creativity of making a card that makes me happy.
When you are talking about picking out colors, styles, putting pieces together--just tell your husband that it is cheaper than redecorating the house! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 07:53 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

It is not about the destination, it is about the journey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Yup, I agree with most of you. It is the journey that makes our hobby fun and worthwhile. I don't save my cards. Most are made for a sale I have once a year. I have digital pictures of them all so I don't need to save them in a binder. If you don't have a sale, RAK them! Soldiers, nursing homes, needy kids. Go for it! Giving your cards away may make your hobby have more purpose and even more fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I agree and have some other thoughts to add.

Cards that I make with no specific recipient in mind frequently involve a technique I've wanted to try or a new stamp I want to play with. So it is a learning experience and the opportunity to practice and improve my skills. Artists don't just paint a masterpiece for an art exhibit without practice. Musicians spend hours practicing the same piece of music before they perform for an audience.

I've also recently realized that when I CASE a card, part of the fun is trying to figure out how the card was made - so it is almost like completing a puzzle (and so much more satisfying for me than finishing a sudoku puzzle only to throw it away when I'm done).

Last edited by scoopy; 05-21-2006 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes