Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Stamps for sale in unexpected places

Hi Everyone. :-) I was at Wheaton Arts in Millville, NJ recently. WheatonArts - WheatonArts It's a fun place to visit. Anyway, in the general store there, they had a small box of new rubber stamps for sale, two of which I purchased. At historic Smithville Towne of Historic Smithville , I had similar good luck. During our visit there, in one of the collectibles stores, there was a bin of used stamps and I found an oldy but goody- SU set. I think the store was called the Artist's Eye. It's always great fun for me, when I'm doing something else and happen across stamps for sale.

Have you been somewhere and found stamps for sale in an unexpected place?

Happy Saturday. My Nebraska Husker football team is playing well tonight.

Ann
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I discovered that an Ace Hardware in a small little semi-touristy town on the way to bigger towns has a whole half of the store dedicated to gift type stuff, including a reasonably very large craft section! LOTS of hero arts stamps... been a while since I've stopped since the main route is under construction....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I wonder if the Ace Hardware Smith and Edwards in Utah has more craft type stuff. They've got a fantastic junkyard out back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Sounds like I need to head over to the nearest Ace hardware store here in New Jersey! I need sandpaper anyway...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

The only unexpected place I have found stamps is at a tribal museum in the Pacific Northwest. They had some Northwest Coast Native stamps (several tribes) in their gift store. Very specialized stamps with probably limited appeal, but my husband is an anthropologist and we both love Northwest Coast Native art, so I just had to buy them. I made a birthday card for him with them. It's in my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #6  
Swapper of the Month - June 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smith and Edwards only has kid type
Stamps. They have a little of everything if you have hours to browse. Not really paper crafting stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
The only unexpected place I have found stamps is at a tribal museum in the Pacific Northwest. They had some Northwest Coast Native stamps (several tribes) in their gift store. Very specialized stamps with probably limited appeal, but my husband is an anthropologist and we both love Northwest Coast Native art, so I just had to buy them. I made a birthday card for him with them. It's in my gallery.
I've had the good fortune to visit the Pacific Northwest. In Prince Rupert, I visited a tribal museum and store. They had some bookmarks, rubber stamps and stickers from some of the native tribes. I bought them, but haven't really known what to do with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

blueheron, Have you seen the Earth Art International stamps? You might be interested in them. I'm not affiliated but I love then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have some of the Earth Art International stamps and I agree they very likely will appeal to those who love native art of the Pacific Northwest. It is one of my favorite art styles and I wish I had the good fortune to find those stamps!

There is a True Value hardware store in Fremont Michigan that has a huge section of the store for stamping and scrapbooking (and an entire wall of Memory Box dies). It's called Haveman Hardware and it's wonderful. The owner will special order for customers, too - it's that kind of personal service that makes the smaller stores successful. A few years ago I was looking for the Hero Arts new catalog online and found that this hardware store was participating in their new catalog launch event. I couldn't believe it -- such a small town and we don't have many stamp stores in this area of Michigan. I've always thought hardware stores are kind of fun anyway, but this is the best one ever :-) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I have some of the Earth Art International stamps and I agree they very likely will appeal to those who love native art of the Pacific Northwest. It is one of my favorite art styles and I wish I had the good fortune to find those stamps!

There is a True Value hardware store in Fremont Michigan that has a huge section of the store for stamping and scrapbooking (and an entire wall of Memory Box dies). It's called Haveman Hardware and it's wonderful. The owner will special order for customers, too - it's that kind of personal service that makes the smaller stores successful. A few years ago I was looking for the Hero Arts new catalog online and found that this hardware store was participating in their new catalog launch event. I couldn't believe it -- such a small town and we don't have many stamp stores in this area of Michigan. I've always thought hardware stores are kind of fun anyway, but this is the best one ever :-) .
Dear Phantom,
Look at this link. NativeNorthwest It has the native northwest catalog. Page 82 has the rubber stamps. On the front page of the link, the is an email address to write to about individual purchases-for a retail location. "For individual purchases please contact us at: [email protected] and we will refer you to a local retailer."
I'm not affiliated, but I have purchased some of these stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

kckid68--No, I am not familiar with the Earth Art International stamps. I'll search for them on the internet. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Here are links to two projects I made using Northwest Coast Native art stamps. The first is an altered notebook, the second is a card. Each one uses different stamps.

Northwest Coast tribal art notebook

Northwest Coast tribal art card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you Ocean County Stamper! And those are beautiful blueheron - thanks for sharing.

ETA: Oh my goodness -- so many other beautiful items in that catalog, too!

Last edited by Phantom; 09-08-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

At a farmer's market this fall. Amid all the veggies and fruit was a box of stamps. This lady makes her own wood mounts and was beginning to sell them at a scrapbook store and was weeding out older stamps.

The one I bought says-"A haunting we will go" in a cute whimsical font.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I made it a point to stop at a city on our way back from a trip this past weekend- a local ad had mentioned a whole lot of Stampin' Up products at this large antique mall. I got ink pads for $2.75 and great new stamp sets for $6 and under! I'm so happy! The mall was super fun to wander around in, too. We'll definitely be back.

This past summer I was over the moon to find Stampin' Up stamp sets at a large kids consignment fair. They mostly had clothes and toys, but finding stamps? Awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, around 1991, I found some stamps at the local college bookstore. They were foam mounted, and were called Fun Stamps. I think they were sold under Stampendous (or some other company that is still in business). This was years before I even went to my first stamping party! These were the first stamps I ever had. I stamped those images on all my letters (this was before all my correspondants had email). And then maybe around 2000, I found some Renaissance-type stamps (fairies, dragons, etc.) at a Renaissance fair! And there used to be a tiny section in the local used book store where there were used wood-mounted stamps. A few years ago though they stopped accepting rubber stamps for trade, and stopped selling them, and now they are selling used sports equipment instead of used books (I guess since everyone's got a Kindle now).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Amish store locally has a huge scrapbooking/stamping/die's/inks/stampin up products at awesome prices, So glad I found this tiny store in the middle of no where in thier barn. The prices can not be beat!!! They sell everything WAY below retail, it made it so I could buy stampin up stamps. WooHoo!!! and the Paper they sell is equal in quality as Gina K designs but in many more colors and a faction of the cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Coolest stamps I ever bought were on an Alaskan cruise. WE were stopped at Juneau. There was a gift shop on the main tourist street facing the harbor where the cruise ships docked. It had a few shelves of stamps with Alaskan Inuit symbols, totems, eagles, etc. They were wood mounted and the wood was heat-burned to show the image. Really lovely and an unexpected place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
Amish store locally has a huge scrapbooking/stamping/die's/inks/stampin up products at awesome prices, So glad I found this tiny store in the middle of no where in thier barn. The prices can not be beat!!! They sell everything WAY below retail, it made it so I could buy stampin up stamps. WooHoo!!! and the Paper they sell is equal in quality as Gina K designs but in many more colors and a faction of the cost.
You aren't by any chance in Northern Indiana are you? We have a lot of Amish living around here and I've found some fun bulk food Amish stores, but would definitely love to happen upon a store like that!
Reply With Quote Likes