Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portland Show Wows?

Did anyone else attend the Portland, OR show this weekend? What were you most impressed by? I really liked the movable parts stuff and purchased some that will be shipped to me. Also got some SAR items to make Christamas ornaments. I've always admired the stuff but was intimidated by the sheer complexity of it all.

I learned that Michael's carries rice paper but it's pretty difficult to find. It's apparently usually around the paintbrushes or in with the watercolor paper. I've wanted some for quite some time but didn't know that anyone in the area carried it. It comes on a roll and should last for quite some time.

Got some of the cutter glide stuff from Judi-kins hopefully it will be able to help some of my more stubborn punches. Went ahead and did a stampscapes demo. I'm not sure I'm capable of making my own scenes without help yet. I don't seem to have the eye or the knack of making them quite as beautiful as the demos can.

Oh and one of my fave companies of all time Magenta was there with beautiful samples. They are from Canada so they've never been to one of the Portland shows when I've been a stamper. I'm not sure that this wasn't their first time. So I got the cute kitten knocking over a pot and a peacock that I really like plus some paper and some of their stickers. I watched the two gals that came demo how they do their coloring style quite closely. They use prismacolors and say that small circles and learning how to control the pressure of the pencil is the key. They also tend to use a color other than black that is appropriate to the image. Then they use at least two colors and blend them together and use the white to blend then image further. They sharpen the black pencil to a fine point and use it to highlight some of the lines that are colored over. I'm no art expert but the samples they do are just stunning so I'm going to have to try all the tips they gave to try to get better at coloring my images.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information on the colouring technique! Thanks so much!

I love Magenta stamps too!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, man. If I could have, I would have attended.

I *adore* Magenta; been a big fan of theirs for years and years!
Reply With Quote Likes