Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When transferring sequins into a new sequin holder I was reminded that some batches were static free and others were terrible even using the powder tool to the point of them getting a dusty look. Anyone noticing which brands are more static free? I know I got a Hero Arts mix that is static free. I got dozens of shaker mixes from one particular company and every mix was hard to work with. Just sticking my finger in the container results in half a dozen clinging so it's not just acetate I'm struggling with.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks! Just Pinned it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

This post just came through yesterday to me, & it will give you good advice on design & how to place those sequins. I thought it very helpful & when I got a notice today of another comment here, this post came to mind. Hope it helps! ;)
Check here:
Studio Monday with Nina-Marie: Love Your Pet Day! - Simon Says Stamp Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

I saw that SSS pet post. It had a lot of good info including sequin placement. I also have that Spooktacular sequin mix and it doesn't have static cling. Maybe Neat and Tangled has that figured out. Since we have French Bulldogs I also bought the stamp. It was a win all the way around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Good tips, neat post. Since she's talking about posiltioning and balance in order to teach others, here's what struck me (which everyone can ignore!). I think the card itself is adorable, makes me smile. A few French bulldogs live around here and they're too cute! I'd just move a couple accents/sequins.

The two sequins on the bottom left could reverse positions to have the larger (heavier weight) one on the bottom and the smaller (lighter weight) above it.

The top sequin that's tucked under the sentiment could either be tucked under more - half-way instead of a tiny bit - to look more on purpose, or separated out a tad.

And the tiny heart may want to be a different color. Because it's a similar size and the same color as the sequins, at first glance it can come across like four accents instead of three, and as she wrote, odd numbers rock.

But just my take, YMMV, and it's neat someone took the time to explain. Now I want to go pet dogs...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #46  
Crimping Master

I see what you are saying. I think I might have put the heavier one at the bottom also. I like that she matched the sequins to the beret. Maybe the bigger one atop led the eye up to the pup. I don't know. I often copy other examples of sequin placement since it does not come naturally to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Laura Bassin is terrific at accent placement. She's a graphic designer; it shows, right? I don't think it comes naturally to many people; it's studied and practiced.

In a design workshop (not for paper crafts) we were given little black construction paper pieces and had to show things just with placement: humor, danger, unsteadiness, etc.

Design principles for cards can be the same as most anything - even buildings. Like if you saw a massive window on top of and to the side of a tiny door, the window might feel like it was falling on the door, or to the side of the door, right? You'd know it was off. And you'd be able come up with ideas to fix it, I'm sure. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up YEP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I think Laura Bassin is terrific at accent placement. She's a graphic designer; it shows, right? I don't think it comes naturally to many people; it's studied and practiced.

In a design workshop (not for paper crafts) we were given little black construction paper pieces and had to show things just with placement: humor, danger, unsteadiness, etc.

Design principles for cards can be the same as most anything - even buildings. Like if you saw a massive window on top of and to the side of a tiny door, the window might feel like it was falling on the door, or to the side of the door, right? You'd know it was off. And you'd be able come up with ideas to fix it, I'm sure. : )

They do say in card making to mimic those you admire to learn the craft!
And I have heard the same thing about design.... One example: that photography is like card making in design also!
Reply With Quote Likes