Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My most popular hand made gift that I give are the name frames at baby showers. Of course I have to know the baby's name first. I have gotten lucky lately! They are always a hit and I actually got a request for me to make one for the next baby that will be born! I also like to make announcements or thank you cards to throw in with the gift as well!

Right now I am super excited about the project I am working on. My sister is getting ready to turn 30 so I wanted to do something special for her. (she did a really nice thing for me on my 30th) Anyway so I decided to make her a scrapbook/cookbook. I asked all the ladies in her life including Grammas, Aunts, Mom, and Friends to send me a favorite recipe and a picture of them cooking in the kitchen. I can't even begin to tell you how great it is turning out. It makes me smile every time I work on it! If any of you think of doing this We R Memory Keepers has this great set of matching paper, chipboard accents of alphabets and tags, and ribbon that come in a Kitchen and Diner theme. It looks like vintage kitchen wallpaper. I love it! I even found the matching album at www.happyscrappinscrapbooking.com.

Bonniejo I LOVE your idea! I think those kinds of gifts that truely honor the person are invaluable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we all wonder sometimes if what we create is meaningful to others. Here is a quote from an e-mail I got today from my DIL:

"Annette,
What fun to get your cards! I guess I'm a sucker for snail mail. It is such a thrill to get something in the mailbox when I get home. It is a warm greeting."

As you can imagine, this just made my day.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #43  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

This is a nice thread!!!

I haven't made a lot of things besides cards, but I love handmade items. My MIL has been requesting cards for her birthdays and Christmas lately, as she sends out a lot of cards.

I have a friend who made me a scarf last year, and this year, in November I asked if she was still making them.... I hinted that I wouldn't mind another! LOL So now I have two. I like to tell her that I wear them around the house a lot when it's chilly. One of them is awesomely soft!!!

I loved the penguin sculpture!!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 06:31 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingV
My most treasured homemade gift is a snow baby a friend made. It looks like the snow babies you can get in the store but she made it herself. I had her little boy in a church class (He's in collage now) and she gave it to me. I treasured it then but it means even more because she passed away a year later from cancer. I keep this snow baby out all year round. I cherish all homemade gifts and I give them out all year round. If the person doesn't like it then too bad. I give from the heart. Great thread!

V
Share a picture! It sounds fabulous!

danssister, love your wedding cards and shower invites! The guest book is great too!

Look what I can do! (my gallery)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

I give and get many handmade gifts every year. Especially to and from the girls at work. The favorites I have gotten recently are: knitted scarf (matched my coat), crocheted dish clothes & pan scrubbies(use them all the time), hand cut & framed rooster(I collect them), decorated tin box (filled with goodies) and gourmet, personalized coffee (labels for the bags were made on a computer).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcmeyer

Right now I am super excited about the project I am working on. My sister is getting ready to turn 30 so I wanted to do something special for her. (she did a really nice thing for me on my 30th) Anyway so I decided to make her a scrapbook/cookbook. I asked all the ladies in her life including Grammas, Aunts, Mom, and Friends to send me a favorite recipe and a picture of them cooking in the kitchen.
What a fabulous gift idea. I love the part about a picture in the kitchen. Sounds so nice, you'll have to post a photo or two!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

I love receiving handmade gifts. It means a lot to me that someone would take the time to make me something even if it is "only" baked goodies...the best kind of gift. I would love to receive the gifts I've seen posted in the gallery. You ladies are truly amazing and so very talented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #48  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok - just today I recvd TWO comments from recipients of my hand-made gifts this past Christmas. My husband's neice sent me a thank you card saying that "they love that my gifts are always made by me". The other from my neighbor who said, "I had to tone down my reaction when I opened your gift because my four boys seemed disappointed that I wasn't as pleased by the gifts they'd given me"... so THERE, TLC!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave my two co-workers each one of the birthday books I made. One of them was really excited because she likes that kind of thing AND she said she had just told her DH that she really need a birthday book. (Yay!) I'm not so sure about the other one (my boss).

On the other hand, I don't think my mom would have liked that. She's not into something like that AND she'd be fighting off her two wild cats who would probably drag the book off by the ribbons, claiming it as one of their latest kills.

I like homemade stuff. I like things with ribbons. I like pink or blue stuff... or purple..

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've always tried to make my gifts for the Holidays. The best one was years and years ago. My mom and dad sent me a ticket home for Christmas. I went into create mode and made these brick center pieces. They held candles and had pine cones and goodies hot glued all over them. I had them in a seperate suit case with extras and a glue gun to fix if anything went wrong. My poor father grabbed that suit case to carry for me. (before the days of rolling ones) and said what in the hell do you have in this BRICKS!! I started laughing and couldn't stop. But I held the secret till Xmas. When he opened the box he started screamin I knew it I knew it.
For years I felt kinda strange because I would do these (in my mind) wonderful creations and I would get things like a pop up tent for shade from my brother. YOu know those 200.00 ones. But, I have gotten over that. I think the gift giving part of the Holiday is so overboard. I try and make it great and simple. And I'm not the one in debt up to my youknowwhat when it is all said and done. I will always make something for gifts, and feel very good about doing so.
Ohh speaking of handmade gifts. Went to Mello Joy coffee shop today and they had the coco cones with marshmellows and peppermints in them priced at $5.95. I had to smile.
M
Reply With Quote Likes