Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking your cards from cute to classy.

Lately, I have realized that my cards are cute.
I would like to make them more classy, elegant . . . . . ya know?

I am placing a large order next week, and am focussing on getting color families OTHER then the BB (which i must admit, i ALWAYS use) . . . .

How do you make your cards more elegant?

What are your favorite elegant colors?

I feel totally obsessed with this right now, and I can't think of anything but SU! right now!

Help me!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

I should also add . . . .

I do like cute.

I like it a lot.

But I also want to make pretty, classy and elegant . . . .

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I'm subscribing, I need help in this area too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Ok, so I am totally new to stamping and to SU. The other night I made a card using the K and CO matting paper that I bought at M's.The color is brown with subduded pastel circles. I used a piece on some confetti cardstock leaving about an 1/8 inch border. Then I used doodle this large flower with versamark. Then I sprinkled pink embossing powder in it. It came out really nice. Not too cute and I think its more calssy than not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am the opposite. I find elegant cards easier to do than the cute. I like the Rich Regals and Soft Subtles. I use ribbon, grosgrain and organdy. I like more elegant sets as well. That is half the battle right there. Think Wild Rose, Baroque Motifs (preview mini), Natural Beauty. If you want classy I would stay away from bling and be more understated like tone on tone backgrounds and subtle color variations. Build up layers too.

I remember a while ago I found the galleries of flaxychick and waxyo. I can't remember if they are both elegant but I know at least one of them is. I don't have much in my gallery but I have one elegant card I made with Gentler Times.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

it could be that it is just YOUR STYLE!

(this is me)

i thought the same thing... that maybe i 'needed to evolve'. but have just realized that my style is different than others.

some times i make a card that seems really 'classy'- but still it is pretty simple. maybe it is just me... i HAVE evolved and i am still a pretty simple kind of girl.

in the end... you need to do what you like and enjoy doing!!! if it is cute- than there it is. if it is more elegant- than there it is.

good luck finding your YOU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Just my opinion, but I would start by finding those stampers whose work I admired and wanted to emulate. Study their work and take note of the small things they do. Do they use a lot of layers or simple one layer cards? What are their backgrounds like? How do they incorporate embellishments? What type of images are they using? All of these factors can change a cutesy card into a classy elegant card. Practice what you see and what you like. Take a few elements from each and incorporate them into your stamping and then practice some more.

I'm sure someone else has some other ideas and thoughts that have worked for them. One thread that I have read over and over again and still refer to quite often is one started by JanTink some time ago:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

It doesn't quite relate to your question, but it does have some excellent information well worth bumping back up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Elegant and cards with class to me are simple, rich in color, and not too busy. I love a elegant card. I love burgandy, navy, olive green, greys, black, beige or tone on tone whites.

When I make cute cards I just never seem to like them as much as the "simple elegance" type.

They also are not overloaded with embellishments, having only one embellishment if any at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonicaView Post
Lately, I have realized that my cards are cute.
I would like to make them more classy, elegant . . . . . ya know?

I am placing a large order next week, and am focussing on getting color families OTHER then the BB (which i must admit, i ALWAYS use) . . . .

How do you make your cards more elegant?

What are your favorite elegant colors?

I feel totally obsessed with this right now, and I can't think of anything but SU! right now!

Help me!
My most colors of all for making elegant, classy cards are white or cream!

My favorite paper? Fabriano Mediovalis Folded Reply Cards and Arturo Note Cards. Their paper literally gives me heart palpitations! LOL!

I have found that when I make one layer cards, using the above as my foundation, the design naturally takes on a more elegant/classy aura, and makes boutique chic a snap! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadSherryView Post
Just my opinion, but I would start by finding those stampers whose work I admired and wanted to emulate. Study their work and take note of the small things they do. Do they use a lot of layers or simple one layer cards? What are their backgrounds like? How do they incorporate embellishments? What type of images are they using? All of these factors can change a cutesy card into a classy elegant card. Practice what you see and what you like. Take a few elements from each and incorporate them into your stamping and then practice some more.

I'm sure someone else has some other ideas and thoughts that have worked for them. One thread that I have read over and over again and still refer to quite often is one started by JanTink some time ago:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

It doesn't quite relate to your question, but it does have some excellent information well worth bumping back up!
Great advice Sherry! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think using organdy ribbon has a more elegant look than other types of ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for mentioning me, mazzygirl!

My style really varies - especially these days - but to be called "elegant" or "classy" is a huge compliment...sometimes my style borders more on vintage or old-fashioned...but I do think the two styles have a lot in common! I think your image choice is the main thing, and then keeping your layout and borders clean and simple. I like to throw in a touch of black or chocolate brown - both help ground images when they seem like they're floating. Black organdy ribbon, to me, is about as classy as you can get!

Fun thread...I'll be checking back in to see what everyone else has to add!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The stamp set Heartfelt Thanks is very elegant. Perfect for birthday, sympathy and thinking of you cards. I tend to go with Rich or soft tones for my elegant cards. I like my girly cards, but find more of the elegant ones sell. Adding extra layers, ribbon, piercing, stickles or embossing all add that extra little something perfect for elegant cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

The classiest most elegant cards I see or try and emulate, are the ones that have very clean crisp lines. genie1314, and JulieHRR are great examples of this style. I also love the stamps that aren't all fuzzed out, but very simple lines, crisp. I agree that not alot of colors is good, and using the ticket corner punch on two pieces of paper with a 1/16th of border really makes a card look sharp. Also, Anna Griffin has a stamp set that I use for alot of my cards that has Congratulations, Best Wishes, With Sympathy etc, and it really has a classy elegant style to the typeface. Anyway, check out the two stampers mentioned above, they are my faves, and are very inspiring. They also have links to cool stuff.

My own GALLERIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, and I have trouble making cute cards. They just never work out the way I want. I wouldn't call my style particularly elegant or classy, but I think it's getting there. I agree with previous comments. Browse through the galleries of the above mentioned and favorite anything you think is elegant or classy and try to copy it. I should take my own advice, maybe then I won't have so many disasters LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
My most colors of all for making elegant, classy cards are white or cream!

My favorite paper? Fabriano Mediovalis Folded Reply Cards and Arturo Note Cards. Their paper literally gives me heart palpitations! LOL!

I have found that when I make one layer cards, using the above as my foundation, the design naturally takes on a more elegant/classy aura, and makes boutique chic a snap! ;)
HIJACK...Julie...Love your new avatar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'll put in my 2 cents worth here, as elegant cards are near and dear to my heart -- doing an elegant card probably comes easier to me than any other type. I LOVE to do wedding cards. I have far more wedding cards on hand than weddings to attend -- LOL!!! Just off the cuff, when I set out to make an elegant card, these are things that I often incorporate:
  • Organdy ribbon, very often doubled up with satin ribbon -- love that combo!
  • Various shades/combinations of whites and ivorys, often dressed up with a subtle Pearl Ex glimmer or perhaps a Brillance Pad in a pearly tone.
  • Soft, muted colors -- I prefer the Soft Subtle type of shades, or soft, muted earthy tones.
  • I like a little something shiny -- not gawdy bling, but perhaps a strand of silver or gold cording, most often hanging down in a beautiful drape. Then perhaps a bit of gold or silver embossing, like the sentiment perhaps.
  • Depending on the style, I often like long, drapey ribbons hanging down, again, organdy and satin combined.
  • A simple layout, and as I think of it, I would have to say some of the most elegant cards I have done actually have very little stamping on them -- never thought of that before, but it's certainly the case!!!
  • I also love the Cuttlebug with the Textile Embossing Folder for elegance.
  • Anyway, that's my take on elegant!!! Fun thread!!!

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store/Stamp Simply Clear Stamps

MY BLOG -- No Time To Stamp?

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

you've received some great advice so far. Look in the gallery at cards you feel have the classy look you are going for. You might notice color combinations-many times they are monochromatic), embellishments (I'm a ribbon addict), layering, stamp-style, and use of white space. I find after I case a few cards, then I learn those techniques or layouts, and then after awhile I become more comfortable with them.
I notice in your gallery that you are embossing, which I think really adds a bit of classy/elegance. You are on the right track- keep up the good work, and keep on posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

*Waves* to Tonica! Get a nice floral/nature set. Lovely as a Tree is my favourite for really easy elegant cards - check out the gallery, there are so many lovely ones there. I too love the BB but I find the SS are my favourite for making the more "elegant" type cards.

Where's My Cow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I think Julie's advice is (as always) right on the money.

That is, if you want an elegant card, use the best materials available.
So go for the good stuff! The simple but beautiful charm, the rich satin ribbon. Really good paper is absolutely essential. Paris designers don't make dresses from cheap material for a reason. No amount of skill can surmount inferior materials.

And look at commercial cards - after all they are often designed by people with degrees in graphics/or design. Think about what makes elegant design. Balance and symmetry? (not that I spelled it right) Formal colors? When you think whites and creams, don't you think of a formal ELEGANT wedding? What comes to mind when you see an ELEGANT wedding cake?

Focus on a few items or themes that personally appeal to you and start your design there. And go for elegant.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
HIJACK...Julie...Love your new avatar!
Thanks, Shannan! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
My most favorite colors of all for making elegant, classy cards are white or cream!

Ugh. To my credit, I can (on a good day, and without a broken "O" key) type 130 wpm; but, when the brain, err cough-cough *my* brain, to be specific, cannot keep up, things are inadvertently omitted . . . :shock: :p Apologies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

In my opinion you are what you are! That isn't bad a bad thing. What comes naturally to you you should go with. IF you force yourself it won't be as much fun just let your creative juices flow. Like so many talented gals have said browes the gallery and fine what you consider classy/elegant and emulate. The most important thing is to have fun!

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Interesting thread...some great advice here.

When I think classy cards, I think of cards not too busy, clean crisp lines, simple design with only a few embellies on it...cards that are not too "busy if you KWIM.

There is defiitely a lot of talent here to emulate so check out the gallery and find some that appeal to you to CASE.

I love cutesy and classy...its great fun to switch back and forth in styles and colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: in a quiet library with plenty of books, a pot of tea, dark chocolate, and a purring cat
Default audience

Great advice so far...
To me a classy, elegant card also takes into account the purpose of the card and the audience (recipient). To me, a sympathy card is always going to be a classy card. A formal thank you card is a classy card, a dignified person's birthday card should be elegant, etc. So taking design inspiration from that, for me, requires quality product in non-trendy colors, understated embellishment, nothing tilted or smudgy or off kilter, and a central image that is not inappropriate.
I also think a classy and elegant card should appeal to adult men & women equally.
Rachel V.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Default Depends on Occasion

If I am making a birthday card for a child, it will be colorful and busy but a 50th anniversary card or a birthday card for an adult card would be something else. Naturally, a symphaty card would be more muted and elegant too.

So - it all depends on the recipient and the occasion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too think of the more muted papers and less embellishments. One SU set that I really like is Natural Beauty. It is retiring I believe. It's very versatile. I've even used it on some vintage style bookmarks that are collaged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

Thank you so much everyone!

I am just cleaning and sorting my crafting area, getting my growing list for my next order ready, and thinking about everything that is said. . . .

I am planning on crafting this weekend, and I can't wait!

I will take everything said into consideration, and see what i can come up with!

Thanks again, and happy thursday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonicaView Post
Thank you so much everyone!

I am just cleaning and sorting my crafting area, getting my growing list for my next order ready, and thinking about everything that is said. . . .

I am planning on crafting this weekend, and I can't wait!

I will take everything said into consideration, and see what i can come up with!

Thanks again, and happy thursday!
Show & tell, mebbe? When you're finished?
Reply With Quote Likes