Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Stampin up Demo

I just signed up yesterday and any help or suggestions anyone can give me would be great. I live in a small town and I love to stamp havent done much with it for awhile but i now have my own room again and looking forward to getting back into it full swing,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

First welcome. Next develope some sort of letter wherein you "announce" your new business and mail it out to EVERYONE you know, no matter how casually. Ask them to help you out by holding a workshop or to pass your info along to someone who might be interested in helping. This certainly got my business started. One of those first workshops was with my DS's teacher at the time who I had only met once at Meet the Teacher Night, but she was thrilled to try stamping and this led to many more workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Congratulations, Shawnee! Demo-ing is SO fun, lol...there's just something about being around all that creative energy that's addicting! Definitely sign up for the SU-demo forums here on Splitcoast, and talk to SU about getting to our demo board through them.

Have fun with your new venture!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Congrats Shawnee - you are going to LOVE it :-)

Sign up for the demo side for lots of great tips and advice - and Stampin Connection which is the SU forum...

Be enthusiastic and literally love what you do - when you love what you do, you will shine :-)

Congrats again...and enjoy your Starter Kit goodies...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I just signed up today! Love the idea of sending out info about my new business to everyone. So far I've told my friends that I will want to practice on them, and they can give me pointers to help make my workshops better. However, that may not help me get business. I'll be looking forward to more tips, too. My dh is hoping I will make some money with this, and I am hopng I can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 175 Likes on 86 Posts

I signed up, yesterday, too. Guess that special mini kit offer was too good to pass up, eh? Thanks for starting this thread, Shawnee. I've appreciated the hints and tips that have been given, so far.

I'm wishing Shawnee and purlmom much success with their new businesses. Me...I'm just hoping to make enough to pay for my own stamping addiction. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Welcome new demos! You will love the great discount and perks offered to SU demos. Be sure to sign up for Stampin Connection - a site only available to demos and has great discussions and projects. Also, sign up for the demo side of SCS. You'll meet some really helpful people.

Don't forget - your upline should be a great resource, too. Be sure to ask her/him any questions you may have and ask for tips if you want to try to make a business of this.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, StampinChelsea! I know about the discounts, and I've just begun learning about the perks. I don't think I'll ever earn a free cruise, but there are lots of other benefits to "working" with this company, it seems.

I signed up for the SCS demo forum yesterday evening. Any idea how long it takes to be approved? I can't wait to discover hints and tips from the pros!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I also signed up this week. Great information everyone. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Welcome to all newbies! It's so fun...and I don't even really do much...sell much that is except to myself, haha. Make sure to sign up for the demo forums, a LOT of great info and ideas over there! You should get invited to the Stampin Up site that is kind of like SCS too. (Don't tell SU but I like it better over here:-)

Anyway, welcome and good luck!!!!! Enjoy all your new things! And don't forget about the 30% instant income (or discount if you order for yourself) off your first order in so many days...someone will have to remind me of the number!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cailinrileyView Post
Thanks, StampinChelsea! I know about the discounts, and I've just begun learning about the perks. I don't think I'll ever earn a free cruise, but there are lots of other benefits to "working" with this company, it seems.

I signed up for the SCS demo forum yesterday evening. Any idea how long it takes to be approved? I can't wait to discover hints and tips from the pros!
Probably only a day or two....it is the weekend though....

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Probably only a day or two....it is the weekend though....
I kinda thought that's why I hadn't heard, yet. You mean the moderators on this site take the weekend off??

Minders, I joined yesterday, and my email notice from SU said I had until Aug. 10 to take advantage of 30% off. That's more than enough time to make a wish list! Besides, I want some of the pre-order goodies and some of the retiring stuff, too. So that means my own deadline for the first order is the end of this month. (But, more realistically, I'll have the order sent in early next week. Why wait??)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #13  

Quote:

I kinda thought that's why I hadn't heard, yet. You mean the moderators on this site take the weekend off??

Minders, I joined yesterday, and my email notice from SU said I had until Aug. 10 to take advantage of 30% off. That's more than enough time to make a wish list! Besides, I want some of the pre-order goodies and some of the retiring stuff, too. So that means my own deadline for the first order is the end of this month. (But, more realistically, I'll have the order sent in early next week. Why wait??)
Exactly! I'm about to put in ANOTHER order and I just did PLENTY of damage at midnight on June 1 for preorder, haha. Guess I forgot some stuff though:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

don't overlook MeetupDOTcom... i think you need to meet some sort of basic criteria to start a Meetup group, and charge for classes.
i belong to an awesome Meetup group run by someone with no affiliation to a particular brand. But there are SU and CTMH demos in our group, so i know who to turn to if i want anything. its strictly a free crop night held at her office, the 'payment' is bringing food to share, making a few cards for either the troops or Ronald McDonald House....
Now, you can hold classes where you ask everyone for a fee for supplies, and/or require they provide their own scissors and gluestick.
either way, meetup can link people who are intersted TO you... so maybe they'll buy stuff on top of a small fee (maybe $5 or so, raise or lower the price based on if theres food or a free raffle entry). Small doorprizes could be a goody bag or stamp set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

oh, and i dont know if you have the room, or the desire, but i have heard of stamping girls nights out.... like bachelorette parties, baby showers, wedding showers, birthdays... you could host those... maybe if its a bachelorette party you can serve light alcohollic drinks? Its all up to you, how fay you want to take it. Maybe even kids' parties?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I would looove to use that 30% on July 1 when the new catty goes live. There are sooo many things I want from it. {deep sigh} When you get that first big order, be sure to take pics to cherish the moment! Lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the great tips! Keep 'em coming!!

How does a new demo set up an SU site? Or should I get my upline to show me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

On the demonstrator site of SU, look up at the top of the screen for DBWS. It will walk you through the steps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm confused on the paper work for the $99 starter kit..there is a number 116978 homemade..I can call on Monday but want to let my new recruit now what this is..... Thanks. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Whoops..posted in the wrong forum....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyclaireView Post
I'm confused on the paper work for the $99 starter kit..there is a number 116978 homemade..I can call on Monday but want to let my new recruit now what this is..... Thanks. Carol
It is a single stamp in the new catty. You can see it in the Sneak Peeks - very cute! And (my favorite thing) it fits a punch! I wouldn't trade that one out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura6View Post
oh, and i dont know if you have the room, or the desire, but i have heard of stamping girls nights out.... like bachelorette parties, baby showers, wedding showers, birthdays... you could host those... maybe if its a bachelorette party you can serve light alcohollic drinks? Its all up to you, how fay you want to take it. Maybe even kids' parties?
I've actually been thinking about kids parties, or maybe even offering some after school craft classes. Maybe a series of four, or something. I don't know if parents would want to order such quality (ahem, high priced for kids' craft) stuff, but at least I could earn some money (and have fun) by doing it. I will have to think creatively, and keep getting great ideas here and from the SU demo site. If I can go to convention then I will get good tips there, too. Unfortunately my hubby was in a crabby mood today so it was not the time to bring it up - LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlmomView Post
I've actually been thinking about kids parties, or maybe even offering some after school craft classes. Maybe a series of four, or something. I don't know if parents would want to order such quality (ahem, high priced for kids' craft) stuff, but at least I could earn some money (and have fun) by doing it. I will have to think creatively, and keep getting great ideas here and from the SU demo site. If I can go to convention then I will get good tips there, too. Unfortunately my hubby was in a crabby mood today so it was not the time to bring it up - LOL.
There are plenty of people out there who don't bat an eye at SU's prices. I'm sure you could be very successful with these classes if you market them in the right places. Your ideas sound fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

can you do parties, where say, i dunno, for 1 or 2 hours you just do a project with the kids. You could charge a flat rate for supplies used. If parents want to buy anything, thats up to them... but i know people would pay $10+ (in NYC) for that hour of peace LOL
you could use your 'i dont love it' paper, one or two inkpads (black), two or three stamp sets.... as a 'goodie bag' each kid could be sent home with pre-stamped images. Or if you have the dies like Build A Bear, you could basically pre-cut the papers, and let the kids add 'doodads' like ribbon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

also, you can often post a flyer or business cards on 'community boards'... Barnes And Noble has one, some Starbucks let you advertise a small business, and supermarkets. Also, if you are targeting kids- theme restaurants like Chuck E Cheese, or McDonalds... kids love those places, and the parents may se the flyer.
if you're targeting women, then the mall, or maybe a local hair or nail salon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Ooooh - awesome ideas!!! I was actually thinking about a flat rate for the kids' parties. I think that would work well. Goodie bags are a great idea, too. I'll bet those build-a-bear products would be great. I've gone clear mount for most of my stamps, but with kids it might be better to use wood, so they don't have to wait and deal with all the taking off and putting on the stamps. I'll probably need to have some sets that are mostly for kids, and do wood for those. (Sorry for thinking out loud!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlmomView Post
Ooooh - awesome ideas!!! I was actually thinking about a flat rate for the kids' parties. I think that would work well. Goodie bags are a great idea, too. I'll bet those build-a-bear products would be great. I've gone clear mount for most of my stamps, but with kids it might be better to use wood, so they don't have to wait and deal with all the taking off and putting on the stamps. I'll probably need to have some sets that are mostly for kids, and do wood for those. (Sorry for thinking out loud!)
by all means, think out loud, hun... i do it all the time
remember kids are messy, and tough on supplies... so i think one or two 'kids only' stamp sets, and inkpad(s)... i also would avoid handing out more than one color inkpad if the kids are under 9ish. They may transfer colors between pads. Kids who are older can be- for lack of a better word- cleaner?
i don't know too much about SUs policies, but if its allowed, maybe the kids could decorate pencil boxes (they are usually $1 at AC Moore) using build a bear sets. They can make cards, bookmarks, pencil toppers... check the Anything But A Card section on SCS for some ideas.
remember, young kids can handle some tools, but not others. Washable ink pads/ markers are always good. 4 year olds can use lever punches well enough. I am 30 and still have trouble with edging scissors LOL so i guess avoid them? Kids like diecuts and puches, as well as stamps, because 'it looks like what they want it to look like'...
You can also target girl or boy classes. Or do coed. For older kids, you may not get too many boys (if at all), so 10+ may be a girl class. then you could use purse-box die cuts and make card sets, or some other realy pretty things.
Do not be fooled. Parents will pay for stamping/ craft classes just like they pay for sports or music lessons. Even if they don't buy much, you can use your demo discount towards class supplies and charge for the class. Hopefully, that gets your name out (and SUs name) and people know where to go for lessons and supplies. Think about it, if you have the patience to work with five four year olds at a time LOL i KNOW you will be gentle with me, even if I'm new to stamping.
Plus, once parents see you from working with their kids, they may be more likely to turn to you for giftware, as they know your work and products... so you may sell more homemade stuff as well, just through word-of-mouth than you may at a craft fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

Sherrill Graf, a fellow demo, does Build-a-Bear classes for kids using the Big Shot. Sherrill is very supportive to other demos and is always so great about sharing ideas and answering questions. Her blog is http://latenitestampinwithsherill.blogspot.com/

I think she has the kids pick their bear color and run it through the Big Shot. She has accessories for the bear already cut out, and the kids get to assemble their bear. Cute idea!
Reply With Quote Likes