Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Demo ???'s

Okay. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and become a demo. Is there a better month than another to sign up? More benefits? Are benefits always the same?
My friend and old demo (who was fantabulous) has stopped doing workshops and is thinking about stopping altogether. My other friend and new demo was only a demo for the discount. She passes this discount onto me and just a few others. She said she'd be willing to pass her other customers to me.
I don't know who I'd want to sign up under. My old demo's upline was also great, but she's 1 1/2 hours away from here and can't see myself driving to meetings, and she's kinda pushy. The new demo said her upline is okay, but she also wasn't in it for the money, just the discount, so she doesn't know.
If I do this, I'm going all the way. Lots of workshops (to support my habit)!
I don't know either upline. But sometimes I feel like a demo is only as good as her upline.
Any and all suggestions are welcome (unless you tell me I should go fly a kite) ;-)
TIA, Kristi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Lots of lurkers, no responses yet :(
...Anyone...please...info needed...:smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

There are no promotions right now for signing up. It just depends on the month. Sometimes they have stuff and sometimes they don't. The starter kit is a great value though and worth it! I would sign up under whoever you know the best and feel most comfortable with. My upline lives 4 1/2 hours away from me so I can't ever go to any meetings. That's the only thing I think I'm really missing though. I like being on my own. I can always call her or email her with any questions that I have. She's great at staying in touch with me even though I live far away. So, I say go with who your more comfortable with. It's nice to be able to go to meetings though-so you might want to pick the one closer to you... Hope this helps. Being a demo is GREAT! Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Kristi-

Congratulations on your decision! Being a demo is lots of fun. As far as the "best" time to sign up, it's hard to say. Sell-A-Bration is a good time, because (at least for the past couple of years) SU has offered an extra free set to new recruits.

Last year, if my memory serves, SU offered $30 discount off the starter kit in May. This was a pretty good deal, but you have to keep in mind that the kit came with a box of soon-to-expire catalogs, worth around $30, so I thought it was sort of a wash. If you sign up closer to when the new catty comes out in July, you'll get the new catalogs in your kit.

Right now I have a downline who has a potential recruit. I told her to wait until May to see if there will be a special (we won't know until May 1 or April 15 at the earliest).

As far as a demo being only as good as their upline, a lot of us would probably disagree with that. Of course it helps to have a "good"/active upline but there are plenty of demos on here that did just fine without one. There's nothing wrong with that being important to you, though. You may try using the demo locator and see what other demos come up and try calling them. Even if they aren't particularly active, they may be part of an upline group that holds regular meetings and will help support you. I know that my upline's group and her very well-attended and active meetings are a big "selling point" to any potential recruits I may have.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think choosing an upline is very important, especially if you want to make this a thriving business. Many demos are successful, but a lot are not. Interview several -- at least 2, preferably 3. Ask these questions:

How long a demo
How many customers
How much do you net each year?
How many in your downline?
Can I have the names of 2 people in your downline to talk with them? -- ask them if they would sign up under this person again and how often they hear from her, is she helpful, etc.
What do you offer your downline? -- emails, meetings, etc. Ask for a sample of any newsletters, etc.

I recommend signing up under someone near you. Make sure she is a nice person and a good business woman. This is someone whom you should like! This is more important than being a wow stamper or a demo who offers you a free set for signing up.

She is going to make money off of you so should be willing to answer your questions.

Alisha is correct -- there is no special right now. Whether you want to wait is up to you. I suspect there will be a special within the next few months, but have no clue. Remember that your first hostess order (more than $150) is 30% off -- and you have to place it within 45 days (I think) of becoming a demo.

I'd wait for the new catty. That way you'll get to use the big discount for lots of new stuff. It is worth saving for that first order -- stock up on tons of paper, ribbon, etc.!!! I wish I had purchased more with mine.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the info ladies.
I've also heard rumblings of more retiring colors :( , so maybe I will wait until closer to July. That doesn't help support my habit until then, though! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipsmommy
Thanks for the info ladies.
I've also heard rumblings of more retiring colors :( , so maybe I will wait until closer to July. That doesn't help support my habit until then, though! ;)
I think that was an old thread that re-surfaced, if the "rumblings" were from here. SU just revamped the colors last year and they gave us plenty of notice. I doubt they would do it again so soon.
Reply With Quote Likes