Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Versa Color Stamp Pads

I haven't ever tried using these, and I have looked for tutorials but haven't found anything. I am making a wedding card (So need help SOON) and am using a deep purple cardstock. I have a Versa Color Stamp Pad and was going to use that, I also have embossing powder and a heat gun but have never done it, can someone give me the steps one by one? or if someone knows a tutorial that would be good too.

THANKS, Jeanne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You should find plenty of tutorials if you try a search for heat embossing, which is what you are trying to do. Probably no one has listed one specifically for Versacolor inkpads.
Is the colour ink, & embossing powder going to be a suitable one to go with the purple? It is also wise to de-static the card first, as stray specks of powder will stick in odd places and ruin what you are doing. If you have an embossing buddy use that to wipe over your cardstock first. If you don't have one, you can use a used tumble drier sheet, or make an embossing buddy with a little talc or cornstarch in a babys sock, and tied closed. So,to heat emboss, you first need to ink up your stamp. Then press the stamp onto your cardstock. Lift the stamp away cleanly, then sprinkle with the embossing powder. Next, tip all the excess powder off onto some scrap paper, ready to tip back into the pot. Now, 'flick' the BACK of your cardstock with your fingers, to dislodge any stray powder. Now carefully examine your image for any stray specks of embossing powder being stuck on the cardstock where you don't want them. Its easiest to remove them with a fine dry paintbrush. Spend time checking very carefully- I can guarantee the moment you start heating the powder you will spot a speck you missed! Next, turn on your heat gun and let it heat up for a moment or two. Then, directing the nozzle at your powdered image, begin to apply heat to it. You will see the powder melt and go shiny- as soon as that happens move the heat source to another part of the design. You can also apply heat from underneath your image, some people prefer to work that way. I would also suggest, if this is the first time you have done this, practice a few times on some spare cardstock, then you will see what I mean about the powder sticking in odd places, and also get a feel for how to heat the powder evenly. Just to add, heat embossing will only work (generally) with a pigment, or embossing ink. versacolor is a pigment ink, so you are ok there. HTh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Well I made a HUGE MESS, something wasn't working exactly right. Not sure if I didn't have enough embossing powder on, or my embossing powder wasn't the right kind or my heat gun didn't get hot enough or all of the above, but I couldn't get it to heat up enough. I ended up just stamping it and it turned out perfect. Sometime when I have a stamping partner I will tackle it again but don't think I will be trying it again by myself .

Thanks for the help tho and I will check heat embossing instead of versa color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have any info on ink... but nice name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 12:55 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't beat yourself up, these things happen. I didn't want to spin your head too much, as a newbie to Heat Embossing, but a lot of little things can influence what works and what doesn't! Humidity, can do it. Also the card stock- some will absorb more ink than others, and effectively you want the ink to 'sit' on the surface, rather than be absorbed. Also, how 'inky' your pad is- if it is a little dry, you won't probably get enough ink on the stamp to hold the powder. I have also heard in some threads on here, about embossing powder losing its ability to melt properly over time, so how old the powder is can have an effect too. As I mentioned, Heat Embossing does have its 'rules', but these can be very changeable. Generally you need a pigment ink, or a clear embossing ink, Versamark is often used, which is quite sticky, to grip the powder. However, depending on the cardstock, and how wet the ink is, you can sometimes Emboss using dye inks. Its a lot of trial and error! The best way to learn about any crafting technique is not to put any pressure on yourself, just play. In the end, its only paper, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I'm do better with visual instructions when trying to learn a technique. Here's a link to GinaK's Stamp TV video on heat embossing. HTH She has over 600 Videos on Stamp TV. You will find many tutorials here on SCS also.

http://stamptv.ning.com/video/heat-embossing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I think if you surf videos on youtube, you'll find some really good instructional videos on heat embossing. It's really easy and not so very hard. Surf Youtube and implement SCS advice and you'll be set. It takes practice but it's not difficult at all.

Good luck. I hope you post your card on this thread. I'd love to see it. It sounds like you have a nice vision.
Reply With Quote Likes