Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have a 4 1/2 month old that's been teething for 6 weeks already, but in earnest lately! :( What a day!

Anyway, I really appreciate all of your ideas and help, I really need it so very much I do like what Diane said and think that maybe I should charge $25 for the next set, if there is a next time. I mean is it rude to ask for more? I realize that I make a $1 "profit" when I ask for $3 for my single cards. So if I ask for $2 a card for a set of 12, I think I would break even, and that's where I don't know how I feel about it. I want to be able to pay for my supplies plus a couple bucks to buy new stuff, but when does the price get "too high", kinda thing. So I feel ok with a $25 fee next time.

I like all of your help and answers about mass producing cards and the sizes, that really helps. I want to make everyone unique and like it like that but I can get started by atleast keeping them all the same size and whatnot. That will help somewhat keep it from getting overwhelming. Thank you for all your tips, it kinda keeps an order about the whole thing.
So it would be cheaper if I used cardstock, instead of buying my card bases? This is all still new to me, so I trust you about this I was making them as recreation, and thank you cards after my baby was born, and thought it was a good idea. I didn't think I would be keeping up with this. So where can I buy some cheap and sturdy cardstock, in bulk, cheap? And what paper weight should I use? Again, I appreciate all help here!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
Ok, I see that I have been too "generous" with my pricing :( While I was waiting, for replies, I had spoke to my friend and asked her to tell her Mom for $20 for a set of 12. I feel badly that I low balled it, but as I see, I didn't undercut myself by too much, right? Is it kosher to change your price? My husband thinks I should've asked for $25, I'm thinking that might be too high and I would loose my new found "business". What are your thoughts, Ladies? I just want to be fair, not to charge too little and not eat the cost.

What does A2 size mean? Is that the standard 4x6 size? I usually do the 5x7 size, and cut down as needed.

Here is what cards my friend and her Mom bought, for $3. Do you think they are priced right or should I have asked for more?

Card 1. Some Bunny Loves Me by havonfamily at Splitcoaststampers

Card 2. New Bunny by havonfamily at Splitcoaststampers
Your cards are beautiful! Who would've thought you're a newbie in this hobby! And I think whatever price you said is the right price. We all know that we can never get the "worth" of our cards - lot more effort goes into making a card than we can get from its cost. So I'm mostly happy if I get the cost of the supplies out of it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

the cardstock I use for the bases is the GP #110 250 count package from
Sams or at Walmart it is the same with 150 sheets. It is adequate for my needs and since I only buy the 250 count package that is enough for 500 card bases...that is a lot of cards for $6.86 per package. I am not sure what the premade/precut bases cost but I venture a guess it is a lot more than what I pay for the 500.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Smriti, thank you And I am thinking after much thought, that your right, we may never get the cards true value or worth back, but enjoy making them so much, that I am actually ok with that,now I think I may just keep the single card prices at $3 apiece and maybe $ 22 - $25 if more people ask for the set of 12, this way I will break even on the costs. It sounds like so much, but we'll see if I even get asked for more Do you sell too?

Sprtchick, what weight is the paper? Will it hold a "heavy" card together? I would like some paper that you could stand up on a mantle place, can the paper stand up to that? We have a Sams here, but it doesn't sell scrap supplies anymore , just copy paper :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Sprtchick...GREAT tip about having Office Depot cut into quarters!!! I use the GP for my index cards for my cling stamps and have been cutting them one by one! I never guessed to try Office Depot for bulk cutting! Did try a printer by they were a little pricey. Thanks tons for the info!!!

My Blog:www.octoberpumpkin.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

What a great post! I'm brand new to papercrafting and brand new to this site, and this post answered so many of the questions I've been wondering about. You ladies are all so helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

The GP is 110 pound paper and adequate for bases and layers.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you so much, Sprtchick!!! You have helped me save money, with your suggestion. I am going to ask my husband to take me to Walmart later this evening, to look for some I really appreciate your tip on the paper, this will help keep my costs down. You also said that Office Depot cut them for you? Do they charge for that and if so, how much?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use either office depot or Office max. One charges .75 per ream to cut in half and the other charges me 1.00 per ream. I can never remember which is which. But it is a small amount for what it saves in time and use of my cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I saw the 150 #110 stack at Walmart for $5, tonight, that you mentioned. Thank you So Office Depot charges .75 to $1 to cut a stack/pack of paper, from Walmart? I apologize, but I am unaware of how much a ream of paper is. How much paper is that? I realize this will save a ton of time and money, if they can cut it for me!!! I like that idea!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #51  
Compulsive Stamper

Default re selling cards

I am not sure either what a ream is, maybe a package of 50? I know some of the stock that Michaels sells is rather thinnish.. not so good for cards, I have found. Not sure what Office Depot paper is like. the # (80-90?) is what indicates the weight. My retired printer-husband has tucked in for the nite so cant ask!!
If you make cards to donate to your church, library, or give away as encouragement, etc. you might mention that when you visit the printer/s we talked about. Considering its their 'throwaway'and you are using it to benefit others, they may 'donate' it to you! I would try that angle first, from experience I know what is a little to them is a lot of paper to you! However, if you ask to cut it for you, I would definitely offer to pay them something for their time. If you email me I can send you some details. [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Smriti, thank you And I am thinking after much thought, that your right, we may never get the cards true value or worth back, but enjoy making them so much, that I am actually ok with that,now I think I may just keep the single card prices at $3 apiece and maybe $ 22 - $25 if more people ask for the set of 12, this way I will break even on the costs. It sounds like so much, but we'll see if I even get asked for more Do you sell too?
I try to I've an Etsy shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Elfreida, It's interesting that you mention church and donating cards, as that is one of the things I am interested in doing as well. My Sister-In-Law recently passed away from Breast and Bone Cancer that she had been battling, but was suddenly given 3-6 months left to live. I started to organize a group of Ladies at church to make and send Julie some Encouragement cards, but as I started to form it all up, Julie passed away suddenly, before we could get together. So I was talking to my brother and he suggested making cards for the missionaries that my church supports. So once a month we have a missionary we would send cards to the family, as an encouragement. I like this idea very much, so I am going to talk to someone at our church on Tuesady about this very thing, since it's dear to my heart. I wish Julie had received the cards before she passed away, but it is all in God's timing.

Smitri, I love your Etsy shop of cards and that you are raising money for a good cause. My Sister- In-Laws brother and his wife run an orphanage in India, so that is a cause that I would like to support. When I get paid, I would like to buy from your shop, if I may

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElfriedaView Post
I am not sure either what a ream is, maybe a package of 50? [email protected]
We get different colored copy paper from Office Depot at work by the ream and it is 500 sheets per pack. Not sure if thickness matters, I'm thinking probably not. Like how a dozen is a dozen, a gross is a gross no matter what it is, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I use either office depot or Office max. One charges .75 per ream to cut in half and the other charges me 1.00 per ream. I can never remember which is which. But it is a small amount for what it saves in time and use of my cutter.
(sorry if this double posts - get error when submitting it)

How accurate is their cut? Just wondering if they ever turn out wonky or if you have to adjust much after the initial cut? I have been thinking of having this done and thought I would ask the expert!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladies.....Beware of the office supply stores cutting your paper for you. I know many of you have them do it. I also have taken reams of paper to them to cut several years ago. I did find mixed results. Some were cut such that I couldn't use the paper at all. You have to be certain the clerk knows EXACTLTY what measurement you want. Best to have it in writing (typed, not hand written) on the package so that if there is any discrepency, you can get the money back for the paper. If the paper was purchased elsewhere, have the receipt with you. Be certain the clerk knows how to use the ruler they have. Many rulers don't start exactly at the edge. Many start the measurement in about 3/16 of an inch. All this applies also if you are asking them to score the paper too.

I know this all sounds obvious but I've had many reams of very good paper distroyed do to clerks not knowing how to do a simple task.

I now just cut and score my own cardstock. Much easier and really doesn't take that long even if doing a ream of cardstock.

My comments are based on going to Office Depot, Office Max and Staples. Yes, they are inexpensive for this service, but inexpensive is no good, if not done correctly!

These comments are just based on my experiences and you can take them how ever you want.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Smitri, I love your Etsy shop of cards and that you are raising money for a good cause. My Sister- In-Laws brother and his wife run an orphanage in India, so that is a cause that I would like to support. When I get paid, I would like to buy from your shop, if I may
Thanks Amanda!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

The ream size I am talking about is the 250 count cardstock ream from Sams. When I have it cut I tell them upfront that it must be precise. I watch them cut it and I check it before I accept it. You must keep in mind that the reams are sometimes off buy a small amount in they way they come from the manufacturer. In all the time I have been having mine cut there was only one time I told them I would not accept what they cut and they replaced the ream of cardstock. You have to be vigilant but they can cut it right. They tend to do a better job when you watch them and do not go do any other shopping and come back. It is working out well for me doing it this way and saving me oodles of time in the process. I also contribute a few thousand cards a year to my church bookstore and youth group for fund raising. I get a $3.00 per card tax write off for each of the cards I contribute.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh...I NEVER have had an issue bringing paper in from another store to have it cut. I usually have the receipt in my wallet but they have never asked me if I purchased the paper from them or somewhere else. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ok, I hope I'm not beating a dead dog of a subject but...... My friend (who's Mom I am making the cards for), just tossed me a bombshell of an idea. This could be a good or bad idea for me. She suggested I sell my cards at our church's Christmas Boutique, this year. I love it, plus it gives me all summer to work on them. This will make so much more work for me but, I would love to have a little bit of extra money in a fund on the side, just in case. Last Christmas we had one gift for each girl (long, long story), and it was so HARD to see that. So, my question is, what kinds of cards would you buy or send out? I am thinking of the basic ones, but what are some ideas for different cards that you would give or send others?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How exciting to sell your cards at the Christmas Botique! It's only March so you should have plenty of time to build up your supply.
If I were buying cards, I would be especially interested in notecard sets I could give as gifts. Maybe like sets of 6 or 12 coordinating cards packaged together and all ready for me to give.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is what people ask me to make: Thinking of You, Get Well, Birthday, Wedding, Baby, Anniversary, Engagement, Shower (both baby and wedding), Friend, Thank You, Sympathy, a few Losing a pet sympathy, some Congratulations, Graduation (at off times of the year), a few requests for Sister (no one has asked for brother). Not many people ask me to make Christmas, Valentine, and things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi again..For Christmas I do 50% Christmas cards and the rest a mix of the other things you need cards for. I always sell all my cards. I also start right after Christmas making cards for the next Christmas. I have like 700 Christmas cards on the shelf for next year already. I need them for the Swim teams I support, bookstore and for the troops. Not to mention the basket on hubbys desk. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For my sets of notecards I usually keep it pretty simple. I'll choose only a few colors to keep the look cohesive and usually just one type of embellishment or stamp. Sometimes I'll do the card layout exactly the same but with different colors, or just change the layout to some vertical and some horizontal. I'll try to post some photos this weekend of some I'm working on now.
One card that's been really popular for me is a simple kraft base with three punched butterflies on it. I just punch the butterflies out of a pretty patterned paper then adhere them in a row with pop-dots. That's it and it only takes about a minute. Another one is to punch out a stamped image (my current fave is the "hi" stamp from Say it With Scallops set) and adhere it to a kraft base with pop dots. Then I'll just add a bit of glitter in certain places for an extra touch. I'm definitely a fan of simple and time-saving projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #66  
Mad Swapper

sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

Those I sell to family, I sell at $3.00. I don't currently have a Venue for selling my cards, but in the past I would charge up to $4.95, depending on how much time I spent on the card. I tend to add a lot of details, including a matching design inside the card and on the envelope Flap. I sell my card/envie sets in clear envelopes.

I tend to make 4 at a time, since that uses even amounts of cardstock (2 pieces for 4 bases, and 1 piece for first layer of each). Also because I always keep one of each design I make, with a post-it on the back with the supplies I used to make it. The most I can make of a design is 12, but am usually very tired of the design by the time I am done. I did three different sets of 12 each Baby Thank You Cards for my daughter, and did not charge her:

Daughter's Baby Cards by LMstamps at Splitcoaststampers

LM :-)

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

I sell my A2 cards for $4, incl. tax. Set of 6 for $18. When I'm doing a fundraiser they are $5 and the entire $5 goes to the cause...no tax.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #69  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,127 Likes on 508 Posts

Reams of paper are measured by weight, not sheets per package..... but that's all I know!

I've been wanting to sell cards, but I live overseas... my hesitation has been that people probably wouldn't be willing to pay up to $3 shipping for a $3.50+ card, then wait for international shipping....anyone have any thoughts on that one? For those that have etsy shops, do you have international customers?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

OMG...this thread is awesome. I am new to card making also. I started about a year ago. Last year at Christmas I had an order for 10 5 packs of mixed cards, and 30 Christmas cards that my customer used for her close friends and family. Over the last year I have had a number of orders.
However...I am looking to get my foot in the door with boutiques and such, and have NO idea how to display them (most places don't really want a full size card rack in the middle of their stuff).
So my question ladies...how do I display and more importantly, how do you approach these places?????
I was charging $3 a card and the larger the backage, I would offer a discount. I see now, I need to up my card fees.
I hope in the coming weeks to get my cards on here so I can get some suggestions from you.
Thank you one and all.
Have a good night and thanks for a great thread!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #71  
Glitter Guru

$3 is about average for an A2 card. I sell mine for $3 each, or 4 for $10. For bigger than A2s, I price at $4 or 3 for $10.
Reply With Quote Likes