Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Writing here to calm myself down

So, I walk out into my dining room (which doubles as my craft room) and find my son's Cub Scout troop using my Prismacolor pencils and watercolor pencils. OMG I really didn't think I needed to hid the tool turn-around. Obviously, I was incorrect. DH is just so clueless. When I asked if they were using my pencils, he calmly said yes almost in a duh way. I'm so not happy with him at the moment. :(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTH! I can't believe your dh would do that! Well, you're going to have to replace all of it. Give him the receipt and tell him that it's for scout-related projects. Put the old ones in a special box for the scouts/kids to use, and your new ones in a special place just for you. That'll teach him. :twisted:

http://lunarium.etsy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

wow... this would p. me off too.
i know what you feel at the moment.

for me.. it wouldnt make a difference if i even could go and buy new ones. because.. it would be still missing money out of the household cash.
does your child has a savings account were you have put money in the inlaws gave him?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

wow... this would p. me off too.
i know what you feel at the moment.

for me.. it wouldnt make a difference if i even could go and buy new ones. because.. it would be still missing money out of the household cash.
does your child has a savings account were you have put money in the inlaws gave him?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

that is a big no no

Check out my gallery:

gallery:https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=98777
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Some of the moms got it. DH is still looking at me with a puzzled look. I told him I wouldn't yell at him but he is never to do that again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #7  
Google Master

guess he can't be mad when you go out and buy new ones
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #8  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 639 Likes on 449 Posts

I bought my husband his own stuff for scouts! Actually him being a scout leader has added to my stuff. He really wanted the sizzix for scout projects. I did let him take the stamp set scouts at play to a meeting, I spent way too much $$ on ebay and it is now a mess! At least it still stamps cleanly. I have to say many men do not get it. As mother's of boys how can we raise our sons differently? I am not sure we can.

We feel your pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

If they only knew how much those things cost...but wait, we don't want to tell them *that* do we? Afraid you're in a catch-22 - LOL! I have my favourite toys on the top shelf of my bookshelf, but my lucky 4yr old DD *is* allowed to use my Prismacolors (I bought her cheap ones, but she wouldn't take the bait...)

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Think of men as a waffle. They don't think outside the box and most of the surrounding boxes are empty. Give him the bill and he won't do it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljwil
If they only knew how much those things cost...but wait, we don't want to tell them *that* do we? Afraid you're in a catch-22 - LOL! I have my favourite toys on the top shelf of my bookshelf, but my lucky 4yr old DD *is* allowed to use my Prismacolors (I bought her cheap ones, but she wouldn't take the bait...)
I was going to say that too! If they only knew How much the things were they might take better care.... but maybe you should go get some drill bits out of the garage and use them to open paint cans or something awful like that! NO we would never do that... OR maybe use the golf clubs to hammer a nail in the wall to hang a picture!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotsastamps
Give him the bill and he won't do it again.
Precisely. Drive to Michael's and buy new Prismacolors. Then order new watercolor pencils. Print off the reciepts and hand them right to him, with a big smile.
He'll never go into your supplies again...
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMR
I bought my husband his own stuff for scouts! Actually him being a scout leader has added to my stuff. He really wanted the sizzix for scout projects. I did let him take the stamp set scouts at play to a meeting, I spent way too much $$ on ebay and it is now a mess! At least it still stamps cleanly. I have to say many men do not get it. As mother's of boys how can we raise our sons differently? I am not sure we can.

We feel your pain!
I am mom to two boys (does dh make it 3?). The sons are old enough to know better and to ask, but maybe that's because I wrote the following on a few of my items: " If you touch this you will get scrapbook/stamping cooties."
It's pretty funny to watch the 9 yr. old drop something and wash his hands.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

While I was away recently, mil gave dd my SU markers to play with, and she used just the writing sides - none of them write well anymore. I mean, we have two towers of craft supplies dedicated just to dd, and mil went into my craft storage and pulled these out!

Dh walked downstairs, caught his breath, and just tried to distract dd and move her on to other things. He put them away, and I came home w/o knowing. Went to make a card, and immediately asked what happened to my markers. :lol: He confessed, and suggested I buy a new set. Smart man.

JDT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...
Default Oh NO!

I put a large sign on my special supplies (crayons, etc) so my kids know not to use without my permission. Unfortunately I can see my husband looking at that sign and thinking it wasn't intended for him (so I hide them in the back of the stamping closet).

I would tell him how much they cost, but that would bring up another drama...what we don't talk about doesn't hurt anyone

Sorry for your experience,

Shawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

You husband won't get it till he comes in one day and finds kids using his tools without permission or supervision. then he might feel your pain. As for me, this is like a story out of my life and I very definitely feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I guess I'm the oddball..............I think that his sitting down with the boys is more important than prismas or watercolor pencils, which can be replaced. The time spent with those boys is priceless.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have 1 ds and I am happy to say that I am his cub scout den leader. That being said I get to buy more supplies and say that I need it for a den meeting. My son is a wolf and so I had to buy a wolf stamp for the boys to use. I hope this keeps working for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #19  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellamare
I have 1 ds and I am happy to say that I am his cub scout den leader. That being said I get to buy more supplies and say that I need it for a den meeting. My son is a wolf and so I had to buy a wolf stamp for the boys to use. I hope this keeps working for awhile.
I like your thinking! I wish I'd been into stamping when I was den leader, then Brownie leader.
Those were the best days ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11
I guess I'm the oddball..............I think that his sitting down with the boys is more important than prismas or watercolor pencils, which can be replaced. The time spent with those boys is priceless.
I'll have to agree here... my 2 year old uses my prismacolor pencils WITH me.. if one gets broken or worn down, I just buy another replacement, or if I get desperate, I can buy a new small box with that color in it...

There are certain things he can't play with mommy, but mainly for safety reasons.. he stamps with my rubber stamps all the time. I have little fingerprints on some that aren't able to be cleaned off - but years down the road when I decide to pull out one of those stamps, I'll see that little finger print and think back to the wonderful times I spent with him at this age crafting and making all kinds of artwork.

There are some markers I won't let him use - brush style markers etc, only because he has "pressure" issues with drawing - LOL.... but I do let him try.. its part of the learning process
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Moms need to have special things of their own. You can spend great time with your kids AND protect things that are special to you. They aren't independent of each other, right? It's a good lesson for kids to learn that not everything is OK for them to use.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

My 3YO knows to leave my stuff alone. I can't say he listens to that know how though - well he messes with my ribbon all the time. Drives me nuts, but he spends time with me in my room, so I can't complain. I'll need to give him a space in my room when I move it. Give him a little table to work at. Then maybe he will leave my toys alone.

I wouldn't be so upset if he had a watercolor pencil or prismacolor pencil because unless he broke it in half, it could be sharpened with no harm done. I'd rather he have those than a marker. What were they doing with them? They didn't hurt them did they? I would be mad if he were touching my WC Crayons...which he found in a drawer yesterday and his eyes lit up. I told him if he ever touched them he'd never eat another piece of chocolate. :-) I'm going to just have to hide them up high so he doesn't get tempted.

Vicki

Remember no time is ever wasted that makes people better friends...so we aren't all wasting our time here on SCS. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_anthony
I'll have to agree here... my 2 year old uses my prismacolor pencils WITH me.. if one gets broken or worn down, I just buy another replacement, or if I get desperate, I can buy a new small box with that color in it...

There are certain things he can't play with mommy, but mainly for safety reasons.. he stamps with my rubber stamps all the time. I have little fingerprints on some that aren't able to be cleaned off - but years down the road when I decide to pull out one of those stamps, I'll see that little finger print and think back to the wonderful times I spent with him at this age crafting and making all kinds of artwork.

There are some markers I won't let him use - brush style markers etc, only because he has "pressure" issues with drawing - LOL.... but I do let him try.. its part of the learning process
Oh, MY kids stamp with me. They use my stamps and my pencils. Heck, my daughter has her own bag of Primsacolor pencils. (She's better than my son with art stuff.) I am all about teaching MY kids how to do stuff. However, having 6 Cub Scouts and three of their even younger siblings having their way with my stuff, that's just another matter.;) We have way, way enough other arts and crafts materials in the house. They do not need to be dipping in my turnaround.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom
Moms need to have special things of their own. You can spend great time with your kids AND protect things that are special to you. They aren't independent of each other, right? It's a good lesson for kids to learn that not everything is OK for them to use.

Cindy

I understand that completely - however I have enough scrapping and stamping stuff that there is stuff that is just mine - simple replaceable things like markers and colorpencils aren't something I would be concerned about...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Default Something might help

Everyone needs something to call their own!

However, why not have a Scout outing in the garage (or workshop) where the boys can learn about tools and sporting equipment using DHs stuff? (or even his car might need a tune up) Or if he is a computer guy teach them how to use the computer wisely on his computer!

Quality time with the boys AND making a point to DH.

I can be ornery!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1n
Everyone needs something to call their own!

However, why not have a Scout outing in the garage (or workshop) where the boys can learn about tools and sporting equipment using DHs stuff? (or even his car might need a tune up) Or if he is a computer guy teach them how to use the computer wisely on his computer!

Quality time with the boys AND making a point to DH.

I can be ornery!

Bonnie
Oh Bonnie, you silly girl. That would simply be too much for him. I do love the guy and want him to be around to yell at for awhile longer so I don't want to cause him any unnecessary stress. He has enough already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What did they do to ruin your pencils? I agree that I don't like the "uneducated" using my supplies. I have had my Prismacolor pencils a long time. Several are quite short now and I will be replacing them. Others are barely....if at all....used. I can't imagine what they could have done to them though. Markers I could see if they pressed too hard and smooshed the points, but pencils can be sharpened. I guess I fall into the oddball arena also as I don't see the issue. I'd be happy my husband was doing crafts with the boys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm feeling your frustration right now. When my kids were younger, especially my daughter, they borrowed some of my SU markers once. My DD, even lost one. I asked her if she had $2.95 to pay for it? I made such a big fuss, never touched them again. Guess those pencils can belong to the cub scout group and you get some new pencils, yay!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I seriously think I may have passed out!
Reply With Quote Likes