Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2005, 05:06 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face More Demo talk...

Ok, so I have already read many of the "I'm thinking of being a Demo" treads & in not wanting to hijack anyone elses thread, I've decided to open a new one. Here goes:

I've discussed the whole idea with dh & he says go for it! So that is good, however, I still have some reservations... I know that I would only be getting in to be a Hobby Demo, with no intentions of ever hosting a party (I only have one friend who does SU & she was a long-time customer of the demo who will be my upline). I have at least $600 worth of stuff that I really want, but I'm not too sure if I can stretch much more from the catalog. But the opportunity to have a whole set of ink pads is well pretty irristible... then again, ink pads have not been on my wish list! I tossed & turned quite a bit last night over my various feeling on the matter...I enjoy going to my demos stamp camps, but will have a hard time justifing $10 charge if I have all the stuff at home...& do I really need all this stuff at home...I really dislike cutting stamps & have really been enjoying CTMH, but there again, I really like SU papers (colors) & there are enough of there stamps as I said that I could get at least 2 quarters out of this catalog (not including of course the mini's)

So, now that I have vented a bit... my questions are: do demo get to order the hostess sets (without having a hostess party large enough to cover it - esp regarding the mini-catty)? And I understand that I will have til Dec 31 to get my first $300 sell - which is not a prob, but if I place that order in say Aug, which is still in this quarter, will I have to place another $300 order for the Oct-Dec quarter?

SO, here is your job, talk me into this....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 05:24 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I am not sure about ordering the hostess sets...I am thinking no is the answer to that. As far as the $300 minimum goes, if you sign up today, anything you earn from today until December counts towards your *first* minimum due by December.
If your first order is $300, then you don't need to worry about your minimum until 1st quarter next year (Jan-Mar).
The deal is really great, signing up now is the perfect time. You will get a LOT of stuff for a REALLY cheap price!
HTH!
Jenn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Whew! I'll do my best to answer your questions. Hope you find this helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGMommyof2
I've discussed the whole idea with dh & he says go for it! So that is good ....
This is VERY Important. You've already won one battle.

Quote:

I know that I would only be getting in to be a Hobby Demo, with no intentions of ever hosting a party (I only have one friend who does SU & she was a long-time customer of the demo who will be my upline).
There is nothing wrong with this! One of my downlines signed up as a "discount" demo. Felt she was spending approx that much each month ($100 retail) between CM and SU! she might as well get the discount!

Quote:

But the opportunity to have a whole set of ink pads is well pretty irristible... then again, ink pads have not been on my wish list!
Very good deal! I wish I had the same opportunity!

Quote:

I enjoy going to my demos stamp camps, but will have a hard time justifing $10 charge if I have all the stuff at home...& do I really need all this stuff at home...
Why couldn't you still go? Consider it a learning experience. Some uplines don't charge their downline to attend and consider it part of the downline training( like me!). Ask the demo you are signing with what her policy is. While we are on that...think about what you'd want in terms of support from your upline and be sure you are a good match with her. Ask her what support she provides her downline.

Quote:

I really dislike cutting stamps & have really been enjoying CTMH, but there again, I really like SU papers (colors) & there are enough of there stamps as I said that I could get at least 2 quarters out of this catalog (not including of course the mini's)
Only you can determine this. However, if you should decide to sign up, make sure it's with a company you really like so if you do decide to expand and make it a business you'll be sincere in your efforts.

Quote:

do demo get to order the hostess sets (without having a hostess party large enough to cover it - esp regarding the mini-catty)?
Purchase? No. However we are given the opportunity to earn them FREE during a Spring promotion based on sales and recruiting. Otherwise, we get them the same way you do--by following the hostess plan!

Quote:

And I understand that I will have til Dec 31 to get my first $300 sell - which is not a prob, but if I place that order in say Aug, which is still in this quarter, will I have to place another $300 order for the Oct-Dec quarter?
I don't think so, but would have to check my chart. Your signing demo should be able to answer that, too.

Quote:

SO, here is your job, talk me into this....
Well?

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 06:20 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i can't answer all you questions. but i am going to be signing up to be a demo on the first. my demo (will be upline) has told me her "classes" will now be free to me. which is great. the only people i know in this town is my small stamp group. you're right tho, it'd be hard for me to spend the money if i was a demo to attend a class.

if you're worried about if you can meet your quota, have you forgotten about the minis? there is always something in those things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Great questions!!! I'm in the same boat as you. I know I could do the initial order, but after that, I'm not sure how I'd do. I don't have a lot of friends that really spend money on stamping, and being a SAHM, I don't have $300 a quarter to commit myself. BUT, with the great incentive, I'm really considering giving it a shot!

The big drawback is not being able to get the hostess sets. It seems they'd want you to be able to show them as incentive, but I guess that's not how it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think most of your questions have been answered. I think.

But I wanted to add something about the hostess sets. To get the hostess sets, the demo has to place orders that meet the minimums for hostess sets just like any other hostess would. But there are often other demos who qualify for more hostess sets than they want. You should be able to find demos willing to trade (not sell) hostess sets. If you trade for items that you order, you would get credit toward meeting your minimums and get the hostess sets you want.

I hope this turns out well for you. I became a hostess in February for the discount. I haven't started selling to others, but knowing this is an option makes it a little more tempting. And I know that whenever I don't want to spend the minumums each quarter, I can drop with no penalty (other than having to wait 6 months to join again.)

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslevite
You should be able to find demos willing to trade (not sell) hostess sets. If you trade for items that you order, you would get credit toward meeting your minimums and get the hostess sets you want.
Excellent suggestion!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I know hobby demos who make the quarterly min. by themselves without having any outside orders. Others pass the book around before they send out their order and get 20-100$ outside orders to buff up their order. others have 4 workshop/demo's a year hope that they get 300$ at the stamp camp/workshop to cover their minimum order. all are good.

I have found that someone needs a supply paper/ink refills about every month. that adds up over time. If some one is ordering lots of supplies encourage them to host a workshop at your house. That one workshop may cover your minimum and your set. I have stepped up my sales this year, but when I started I found it didn't take too much effort to get to my minimum.
Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Not sure if this will be helpful or not. My demo is a hobby demo. She only has few GOOD customers, she started out being her own best customer and now has two ladies who regularly buy LOTS. LONGEVITY has paid for her. She did one camp a year at her house and always asked her friends to bring a friend. This was a way to let folks know she was a demo, but not to actively "sell" per se. As you would guess, SU demos come and go. Life changes, gals stop demo'ing. Yet, when one demo leaves there are still customers (like me) that need to get serviced! Friends talk to friends. This gal now (5 years later) has over 15 customers, just by simply outlasting other demos. Customers send orders via e-mail. Some of these new ladies have friends that stamp and coordinate their own catalog parties. She basically inputs orders! She still does her one camp a year--limits attendance to 25 gals to let these folks in on new techiques and tools. All of the small orders from each of these ladies allow her to make over quota each quarter. Her rule of thumb is to place her personal order at the end of each quarter, that way if she is short sales--her personal supplies will fill in the gap. I asked if that happens often and her reply was "hasn't happened in several years." Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

You are SO lucky that SU! is offering the Ink Pad Bonus for Demos signing up!! I am thinking of signing up just as a hobby demo, and have held out til now, as I heard there was a fabulous incentive being offered in August....and there was!!!.....but it is NOT being offered to us Canadian Stampers. :( How very disappointing. There was no incentive for August at all. Double:( :( !!

I would go for it if I was you, as the Ink Pad Bonus isn't something you will see very often, if ever again. Even if they weren't high on your list, its still such a great freebie.

My blog:
http://stylishcreationsbydebbie.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Default I signed up last night as a hobby demo, couldn't resist!

What do you have to lose? You need a $300. order by Dec. 31st. That can be anytime between now and then. Another perk is if the first order is placed within 45 days of getting your demo number, you get 30% instead of 20%. So far this is a fabulous deal, if you quit at the end of the year, you are ahead.

But if you look at first quarter '06...Sellabration! No problem there, Everyone I know can't resist (including me).
The 2nd quarter minimum isn't due until June 31st...retired sets help that one.
So there you are...one year from now.
Don't worry, you can quit anytime and nobody knows what the future has in store for them.
My advice is to pick an upline that is organized and committed and she will help you reach whatever goals you choose for yourself.

...no matter where you are, there you are! my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good post AgMommyof 2.

Snellybelle - thanks for breaking the quarters down like that. Helps put things in perspective for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Thank you all so much, I have had a bit more of a chat with my demo & will continue to cometo the stamp camps as part of my training (so to speak), so I am pleased. I will take the plunge - if only to get all the stuff I've not gotten as of yet, but with hopes that maybe I can also have some fun *wink *wink*

Snellybelle- I am very confused how can the 2 quarter end on June 30, 2006? Please explain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny36
You are SO lucky that SU! is offering the Ink Pad Bonus for Demos signing up!! I am thinking of signing up just as a hobby demo, and have held out til now, as I heard there was a fabulous incentive being offered in August....and there was!!!.....but it is NOT being offered to us Canadian Stampers. :( How very disappointing. There was no incentive for August at all. Double:( :( !!

I would go for it if I was you, as the Ink Pad Bonus isn't something you will see very often, if ever again. Even if they weren't high on your list, its still such a great freebie.
There is an incentive for Canadians - but it is for hostesses with a workshop over $650 - they get a colour family of inkpads. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom
There is an incentive for Canadians - but it is for hostesses with a workshop over $650 - they get a colour family of inkpads. :cool:
Just to make myself clear, as I don't think I worded my post quite right!.. In the USA, anyone signing up as a demo will receive the entire colour family set of ink pads as an extra incentive? But in Canada there is no extra incentive being offered at this time to those who wish to sign up as a demo?

Yes, the Hostess Incentive is wonderful, don't get me wrong!! But as I am thinking of signing up as a demo very soon, I was just very disappointed.

How about the Hostess' in the USA, do they have the same ink pad offer? Or do I have all these facts totally wrong???

My blog:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Default Questions

On your first order placed within the 45 days, you receive a 30% discount instead of the normal 20%, does this count towards your quarterly $300?

Can you receive hostess sets with this first order, placing yourself as the hostess as I have been told one can normally do as a hobby demo?

Can your customers' purchases be added to this first order, or is this mostly just to ready yourself for selling?

Also thinking of becoming a demo The only problem being that my demo (a hobby demo) would loose her added sales (from me). She would not be my upline... I would sign up under her upline... as she does not want to be a 'real' demo, and does not want a downline.

Thanks for your help.

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingRain
On your first order placed within the 45 days, you receive a 30% discount instead of the normal 20%, does this count towards your quarterly $300?
Yes - the amount before discount counts as sales, and would count towards your first minimum.

Quote:

Can you receive hostess sets with this first order, placing yourself as the hostess as I have been told one can normally do as a hobby demo?
Definitely!

Quote:

Can your customers' purchases be added to this first order, or is this mostly just to ready yourself for selling?
You can do this however you want. My first order was from a workshop, plus my own stuff. Lots of demos have an open house, then add their own. The choice is yours, however you want to do it. As long as you are within the time limit.

Good luck! This is a great time to sign up if you are in the States.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny36

On the topic of Canadian incentives - OH THERE IS INCENTIVE!!! I love that Canada is offering the stamp pads as a hostess incentive. I am signing up tomorrow. And I am hosting my own party to get the ink pads. And, I have 2 more bookings already of friends who want to try to get the ink pads. I love that my friends can take advantage of it too.

But, even for the new demos in the US - why not host your own first party? Invite a few friends who stamp and why not add their orders to your own first order? That way you can make back a bit of what it cost you and gain a few customers that might support your habbit. Try inviting a few people who are new to SU - they might be wowed enough to get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

THANK YOU sooooo much!

You are very much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom
Yes - the amount before discount counts as sales, and would count towards your first minimum.

Definitely!

You can do this however you want. My first order was from a workshop, plus my own stuff. Lots of demos have an open house, then add their own. The choice is yours, however you want to do it. As long as you are within the time limit.

Good luck! This is a great time to sign up if you are in the States.

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

AGMommyof2.....Quarter breakdown:

Q1 = Jan, Feb, Mar
Q2 = Apr, May, Jun
Q3 = July, Aug, Sept
Q4 = Oct, Nov, Dec

...no matter where you are, there you are! my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snellybelle
What do you have to lose? You need a $300. order by Dec. 31st. That can be anytime between now and then. Another perk is if the first order is placed within 45 days of getting your demo number, you get 30% instead of 20%. So far this is a fabulous deal, if you quit at the end of the year, you are ahead.

But if you look at first quarter '06...Sellabration! No problem there, Everyone I know can't resist (including me).
The 2nd quarter minimum isn't due until June 31st...retired sets help that one.
So there you are...one year from now.
Don't worry, you can quit anytime and nobody knows what the future has in store for them.
My advice is to pick an upline that is organized and committed and she will help you reach whatever goals you choose for yourself.
Yup, that's exactly it!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

So I think I am going to sign up!! You know, I totally forgot about the Sellabration, and you are right Snellybelle, WHO can resist that??? I am hoping that my first party or open house, whichever I plan, can net the $650+, as I would LOVE to get the set of ink pads. I only have the Spots right now,in Rich Regals. I've been stamping since March, but can't get enough of it! There are so many sets in the new catty I want, and I really feel frustrated with only one ink set. As well, I am really torn about purchasing the watercolour crayons....I have the pencils, and really like them, but the crayons look so much more versatile. I've been reading the many posts regarding pros and cons of pencils, markers and pastels, and have just decided I NEED THEM ALL!!! Now to find the $$ and sales to buy them!!!

My blog:
Reply With Quote Likes