Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOPS Ideas Help Please

I was recently asked to come up with a good Christmas project for a MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers group). Does anyone have any good ideas that you would be willing to help me with. The budget is usually $2-$3 per person, and I will have about 45 min. - 60 min. I would like to have something to WOW them (hopefully get more people interested in stamping). It wasn't my intention to ever do this, but the director of the craft time found out that I am into stamping, and she asked me to help her (she is interested in stamping herself, but hasn't done much at all). Anyway, I have until the 2nd Tuesday in November to come up with something good. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 03:09 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default MOPS

Isn't that such a wonderful & nurturing group, MOPS!
I was craft coordinator & I also put together the newsletter when I was with them. We always did Christian themed holiday things...and of course I can't reccollect what we had done! The theme this year has something to do with fruit, correct? The craft person this year (my best friend) is a big stamper & they are doing the tumbled tiles with the Sun Ripened sets. You could also stamp a Christmas tree skirt if you guys do that kind of holiday thing. KWIM? That kinda sounds nasty, but it isn't intended to be...LOL
May I ask what you guys did for yuor nametags this year? My friend had the hardest time coming up with something new.

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was the craft leader in my MOPS group for 7 years! I was really excited when I became a demonstrator that I could show off my wares! You can do so many inexpensive crafts with stamping! My group loved making cards. They either used them themselves or gave them as gifts. You could do sets...mini spiral notebooks with pen to match, notecards, candles...there are lots of ideas on the not just card site here. I am no longer in MOPS but they have asked me to come twice this year to do the crafts. I will go first the second week in Oct, so we will do fall cards and something for the mom. For $2-3 you can do a variety, and they will love it. I do have some customers from my group. Some have workshops and others place orders. Have fun! Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I am actually the corrdinator for our local MOPS group. I love our group, we are small but very supportive and close.
Back before I was a demonstrator my upline did gift bags with white lunch sacks. She folded them so they were flat and wheeled them(something great for new stampers because it is so easy) then put a stamped topper on it, punched two holes, and tied it with ribbon. Then you could make a corrdinating folded gift tag and card. I plan on doing something this spring with the group with stamping.
HTH
Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 04:47 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

You can pick up 3" pillar candles for $1 or less at Walmart or Big Lots. They take less than 5 minutes each. A card is less than 50 cents and can be as easy or complex as you want it to be. A covered post it pad costs 60 or less cents. The post-its can be purchased in bulk at Costco or Office Max. You can have office max cut 5 1/2 x 8 inch note pads in half to make kitchen note pads. Each kitchen pad will cost less than 40 cents to make. Tumbled tile coasters, set of 4, will cost about $2.75 per set. Tumbled tiles are available at Lowes for $6 a box, 9 tiles to a box.
HTH. If you have further questions--just e-mail me at [email protected]

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I was the MOPS mentor and also served as craft coordinator when we were without one. We stamped every year - from stamping two of something (bookmarks, post-it note holders, 1/2 jr legal size refrigerator note pads, or the like). The Moms woulc keep one and we would put the meeting info on the reverse of the other and they were to use it as an invitation for someone else to join us!

We also stamped composition book journals, which many said was there favorite craft ever. We were able to do them for under the $3 mark. I have extra velveteen paper that we bought in bulk to use for binding in various colors (SU's was too expensive and nolonger available in single colors). I had a different set-up for each table group (we had about 80 women). Let me know if you need more detail.
Donna
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 06:06 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I was MOPS Coordinator at one time Craft Coordinator etc for our local group. Since I am a demonstrator, I let them use my stuff for projects.
We made prayer journals with stamped covers. The alpha sets worked well for personalization. We also stamped on white mulberry paper and then decoupaged it onto a glass votive holder (with Mod Podge). These were a hit. Candles would work well. Stamping on the tissue paper is easy and if inexperienced stampers mess up the tissue paper is cheap!
Since MOPS is a Christian group, it is always nice to do a service project too. Make some cards or small gifts for a nursing home or to donate to the church to give to sick church members, etc. Hope this helps.

Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 07:09 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the craft coordinator for the MOPS group I belonged to last year. One thing most people think would make good MOPS projects are things that have a cross theme. This does not work if you have Latter Day Saints in your group, as we did, as they do not use the cross as a symbol of their faith and would prefer not to do crafts that feature it.

Here's some of the things we did last year:

Glass votive with silk leaves hot glued to the outside wrapped with tied raffia.

Clay Pot Turkey

Tea Bag Folded Frame - can be used as a photo frame and hung on a ribbon to hang on the wall or used in scrapbooks.

Beaded Pens

Stamped refrigerator magnets

Seed packet cards; a card that had seed pocket inserted into two punched corners with the top folded over and trimmed with decorative scissors. THen you stamp a piece of vellum and this is inserted into the punched corners and put under the folded over top. Punch through the top to put a ribbon through and tie a bow.

Stamped card

Bunny Buns - this was a clay pot with a big pom pom glued in the top with felt feet attached and jelly beans glued around the outside. It looks like the bunny dove into the pot to get to the jelly beans. Really cute!

The thing to remember is that some of these ladies are REALLY craft challenged. Make sure you separate ink pads on the table so that there is a step between any stamping step, otherwise one of them will cross-stamp and mess your pads up. Make the projects as simple as possible.

Other possibilities: jarred cookie mixes or sand brownies with a stamped tag. Anything they can show their kids how to do is good too. Christmas ornaments are a good thing to do in November too.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 07:40 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I was craft coordinator for my MOPS group last year. At valentine's day we had a SU demonstrator come and demo. The girls loved it and most of them did the craft that day.(we had a problem that only about 1/3 of the group did the crafts) But the cards were a big hit. Only one problem though, I had to replace some of my stamp pads because the girls didnt clean them between colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2004, 08:08 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I just recently made composition notebooks for

our homeschool mom's group demonstration.

Wal-mart recently had the larger comp. notebooks for .57 cents each.

I used All Natural on the background paper using versamark, then stamped on a separate sheet of vanilla card stock random flowers, acorns, leaves with Dark Green Stazon and we watercolored the flowers, acorns and leaves. I then had the ladies use Wonderful Words, friendship stamp, for a little torn tag. Used Olive Green Organdy ribbon for the tie. We also matted and tore the All Natural watercolored center and tore the matt to fit. We used velveteen paper for the binding.

I think I had less than $2 into each comp notebook, my cost.

HTH & enjoy! God will help you figure something out to bless these mom's with. :lol:
Cindy Lou Who
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 04:24 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
I was the craft coordinator for the MOPS group I belonged to last year. One thing most people think would make good MOPS projects are things that have a cross theme. This does not work if you have Latter Day Saints in your group, as we did, as they do not use the cross as a symbol of their faith and would prefer not to do crafts that feature it.
We don't do any craft with a Christmas theme for that reason too. One of our members is Masionic Jewish so doesn't celebrate Christmas. So when we did the gift bags we had a Christmas wheel and a wheel with more of a generic gift theme so she could do one for a gift of any kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 03:28 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for some of these ideas. I have been looking around in magazines and such, and I am thinking about a Christmas ornament, gift bag, and matching card. I'm sure that this group will love whatever we do, they don't seem like they are hard to please. You guys are great. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes