Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2023, 05:56 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts
Default mfg sites sponsored?

I have noticed something in the last 6 months (maybe it is longer-time got fluid with covid) where I look up a mfg site and it says "sponsored". I will scroll down and find the one that does not say that. This confuses me-why is this? I am used to bloggers having sponsors but whole companies now?

Also vids seems to have ads running in the front of them too. Fast way to get me to stop watching them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2023, 06:21 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 527 Likes on 237 Posts

If you are talking about doing a google search for, say XYZ Company, and what comes up first in the search result are "sponsored" listings...I'm 99% sure that the company is actually paying google to come up first in the listings.

Truthfully, if I search for "XYZ Company" then for them to pay for a listing to come up first is somewhat wasteful for them. But if XYZ makes rubber stamps and they pay to be towards the top of a search for "rubber stamps" it would definitely be a good decision for them to pay to be near the top of the search.

I do know that google has changed their algorithms (in the past 5-7 years) as to how they show search results. SEO by tagging your web pages with every possible key word that would drive someone to your page is no longer the main way to get traffic to your business. Things like social media presence also figures high. So does paying for the sponsorships. And traffic numbers. And any number of other things that they come up with.

I'm sure that there are probably other factors to consider that I don't know about.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fionna51:
pepperann (05-19-2024), wavejumper (06-11-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 06:31 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 527 Likes on 237 Posts

As for ads at the front of videos...I am getting the impression that YouTube (since they keep advertising for "upgrading your YouTube so you don't see ads") is who puts the ads there and they do it to make money. Either you and I pay for them to leave them off, or somebody else pays for them to show them to us. People who create the videos may have the option to pay YouTube to leave them off their videos.

I haven't seen any ads myself...just all the invites to go ad-free...and if I start getting them, I seriously will quit watching YouTube. Not that I watch much more than quilting videos and card-making videos, and an occasional genealogy one. No, wait. I watch Veritasium and Smarter Every Day with my grandson. We love those!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2023, 05:13 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you for explaining that for me. I am not wise about the Net. I do see it in other non-craft companies too. That makes sense. I know this has been going on for years-paying for standing (or to get buried)....I just never saw it so openly shown. You will see it if you google SSS for example.

It just happened again with an ad in front of Justine Hovey's new YT vid on Simon Hurley's new pastes. pfft. it is only half working-I don't get the visual-only the sound. I can click out after 5 seconds but still. And I guess ad blockers dont work for that?

I tripped over a vid by someone I don't know who was explaining the whole $$ breakdown of how bloggers can monetize their site (why they are always asking us to click the likes and subscribe etc) Here I am thinking it is just about allowing a print ad on your blog or affiliate links...oh noooooo no no.. lol

Last edited by wavejumper; 06-11-2023 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2023, 01:55 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,859 Likes on 1,947 Posts

They like the likes and the thumbs down no longer works, as my children tell me. If I do not like the video, I will leave. Anyway, I watched Crafty Al recently where she was explaining her lack of videos. Her mother passed away on Mother's Day and she is busy being executor. So she goes on to say that watching her older videos keeps her ad revenue coming. I guess she gets money from the ads. That is a big turn off for me. I hate ads.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fionna51 (06-12-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 07:57 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I have noticed something in the last 6 months (maybe it is longer-time got fluid with covid) where I look up a mfg site and it says "sponsored". I will scroll down and find the one that does not say that. This confuses me-why is this? I am used to bloggers having sponsors but whole companies now?

Also vids seems to have ads running in the front of them too. Fast way to get me to stop watching them.
Companies pay to have their name come up higher in search results. So they are paying for an ad you see. It doesn't cost you anything to click on a sponsored post and it helps a company know their advertising dollars are working. There's nothing to be suspicious of.

And I know people don't like ads, but if you're spending 10 hours creating, editing and uploading a free tutorial, and you could make five cents for that, versus making nothing for it - which would you choose?

No one is getting rich off ads on YouTube videos, but I don't begrudge anyone monetizing free content that it takes many hours to create.

On YouTube, I let the ads play instead of skipping for my favorite creators as the one thing I can do to help them make a tiny amount of money.

I've said this on my blog before, but it takes about one hour of work for each one minute of video - that's why my videos are relatively short - a 7 minute video is 7 hours of work for me. And I get paid nothing for it.

Just another perspective.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 15 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
Alice in Md (06-30-2023), bzzzeee (07-01-2023), Chris4436 (07-06-2023), cnsteele (06-30-2023), DianeinSparks (06-30-2023), dogbyte (06-30-2023), fl_beachbum (07-07-2023), hoptownracer1 (06-30-2023), iamvics (06-30-2023), jkaymac (07-06-2023), lovinpaper (06-30-2023), pepperann (07-03-2023), smhtwin (06-30-2023), wavejumper (07-06-2023), whim6915 (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 12:19 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 882 Likes on 524 Posts

Thanks Lydia for explaining that! I'll start letting ads play then.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
UnderstandBlue (06-30-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

I did not know that if I turn off the ad they don't get paid. Thanks for that info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2024, 09:36 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just dropped by this thread and gotta say, it's like a treasure trove of insights on MFG sites. Personally, I find sponsored sites can be a mixed bag, like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get! Some offer great deals and inspiration, while others might feel like a wild goose chase. But hey, that's part of the fun, right? As for "ctr bot", well, let's just say it's a reminder to keep our eyes peeled and our creativity flowing. What's your take on sponsored sites? Are they a hit or miss for you? Let's swap stories and tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2024, 12:15 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I use an ad blocker for the ads that show up on my email or that interrupt a story I'm tying to read. I d didn't know that the artist didn't receive money if I didn't watch the ad. I will definitely let them run.

I was a freelance writer for many years, but had to stop about 10 year ago but had to stop because my health issues made it impossible to adhere to deadlines. I'm doing better now and am considering getting back to it, but before I can, I have to take several courses on advertising with social media, search engine optimization, how companies can make money by marketing through email and so on. It's amazing how fast all of these things change as technology and our ability to use it. All of these play into the ads you see every time you sign on to the internet.

Interesting topic..Thanks,
Tracy
A Veteran, whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The U.S.A" for the amount up to and including his life. Proud mom of an Iraq war Veteran.
"Actions prove who someone is. Words just prove who they want to be." Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes