Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Distress Ink Mini Blender - Frustration

Maybe I am losing my touch. Or my mind. But I just bought a package of the Distress Ink mini blenders (the round ones) thinking they would have to be much easier to use than the old rectangular ones. When I saw them I thought "Why didn't they make them like this in the first place? Makes much more sense!"

But I am finding that 1) the pad makes an annoying squeaking noise when I use them and doesn't seem as firmly attacked to the handle and 2) the pads don't pick up ink as well as the old rectangular pads. I have done more than my fair share of DI sponging, and when I tried to use the new blenders, suddenly I became a sponging klutz. It's like the pads are a different substance. Or something.

I bought them off Amazon, if that could possibly make any difference.

Is it just me? If it is, better that I know now.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not used the rectangular sponge pads, only the rectangular felt pads (for alcohol inks).

I bought a couple round sponge blenders for my Distress ink from Michael's. And I agree that they do not seem to hold ink like most sponges--for example my fingertip daubers. I spend a good deal of time going from stamp pad to paper back to stamp pad to paper. These pads don't seem to soak up the ink as much as they have the ink sit on the surface. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I've not yet figured out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree......I am having the same issues with the round blender sponges, too. I really love the sponge daubers from Tsukineko but they are pricey!! Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I have used the rectangular pads for years - I have nine handles and a separate pad for every one of my Distress Inks. I'm really familiar with how they behave.

Really disappointed in these round pads.

While I'm complaining about Ranger - and I usually have no complaints about them - I'm also finding that out of the last two packages of mini misters I bought, one of the three broke pretty much within the first month.

Everything is going down in quality. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought the rectangular applicator – just could not avoid getting square marks on my inking. So happy to get the mini round one – now I can't avoid getting swirl marks lol Moved to sponge daubers, my problems were solved. I agree that the foam on the mini applicator does not hold as much ink. But the foam seems to be too dense for my touch, no matter how much I practice. So I use them for edges, and plan to get a jumbo dauber for the center of whatever I'm working on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I totally agree......I am having the same issues with the round blender sponges, too. I really love the sponge daubers from Tsukineko but they are pricey!! Anyone have any suggestions?
Scrapbook.com currently has sponge daubers listed as on sale. 40 daubers and a storage box is $29.99 or a 40 pack of daubers only - no box @25.99
Sponge Dauber Storage Box with 40 Daubers Included

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I love the storage box of 40, and I would use 40 if I designated them for my distress inks but… $30! Saving $5 and then having to keep them in a drawer or a bag, not worth it.

Sheesh. It never ends. I was just congratulating myself for figuring out a stencil storage system which didn't require me buying anything.

Really - how great are these daubers and how long do they last? Will I have to replace them in a couple of months because they are worn down or flattened or shredding or over-saturated with ink? I need to know the truth, people!;)

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-29-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Robin, these are the round daubers I have and love, but they are pricey; those little ones would take so long, plus the way they apply ink, I don't think you'd be happy with them.

Having said that, I much prefer the round TH ones!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Forgot to add: I bought mini misters at my beauty supply store - much cheaper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have both the rectangular ones and the small round ones. Although I agree it is harder to pick up ink in the small ones, I feel they blend much better without harsh lines, so it is worth the trouble there to build up color over time. I am not sure about the squeak, I haven't noticed and I did just use them today.

I also am interested in those daubers! I don't have any. But then again, I probably have no place to put them either...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Linda - no problems with the round mini pads? What's your secret?

The squeak, well, certainly not a deal-breaking complaint (although I swear it's there!) - it's the poor ink pickup that is frustrating me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do all my inking with the round ones now. I find its a bit slow getting the foam pad inked up but get it going pretty well after a bit of play. One good hint I had recently was to ink up then roll the foam pad on a scrap of paper to get rid of that excess on the edges that can cause lines or circular marks when you are blending. Yes you have to ink up more to begin with but remember the pads are smaller than the rectangular ones. I have been using not only for my distress inks but also my Altenew inks and they are doing a marvelous job. Maybe I have just been lucky. I got my husband to round off all my rectangular handles as well so not I have plenty and just added a Velcro dot on the end of them and got him to staple with his carpentry stapler.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Robin, maybe it's because I never used the rectangular ones. I started out using the large sponge dauber that's in my post, but those, the last time I bought one, are $2.79 each. When Tim started coming out with those gorgeous colors is when I switched to the round ones, because I couldn't afford one of the daubers for each color.

I pounce pretty hard on the ink pad, start off the side of whatever I'm sponging, and just keep going. I don't seem to be working any harder to put down color than with the large daubers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I thought about converting my rectangular tools, but there are times when you want that much of a pad to ink up a larger area. So for now I'll leave them be. The Great and Powerful Tim, of course, advocates that you need BOTH. He says that the mini's fill a different niche than the rectangulars - the mini's are better for pouncing stencils (which I use a cosmetic sponge for) and doing smaller areas.

Linda, you are probably right - having never used the rectangular ones, you'd adapt to the round ones. So, now I have to go in the other direction. I just don't see another solution (that I'm willing to pay for).

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the mini's a different animal from the original blenders.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-29-2016 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Really - how great are these daubers and how long do they last? Will I have to replace them in a couple of months because they are worn down or flattened or shredding or over-saturated with ink? I need to know the truth, people!;)
They are like open-holed bath sponges so yes, they don't last as long as the foam. I bought a pack of 10 for not that much money and I keep one for each color family (red, greens, black/browns etc.) I dab them off on a baby wipe if I need to clean them. I have been using them a few months now, and only needed to replace the most used one (Vintage Photo on evvvvrything )

Well worth trying, in my opinion. Here's a small pack:

http://www.amazon.com/Tsukineko-3-Piece-Sponge-Dauber-Pack/dp/B000WWFP2O/ref=sr_1_9?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1454111484&sr=1-9&keywords=sponge+daubers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting about this. I was thinking of buying the Ranger round dauber with the wood handle. Is that the one you all are not happy with? The only daubers I have are little plastic fingertip ones with white sponge for blending. I bought a big pack, either at Joann with 50% off or Amazon. Some good prices right now for 10, 20, 30, etc packs there. They came loose in a plastic bag. I just keep them in little open boxes in my tool drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I have a dozen or so of the small finger daubers. I prefer the round Tim Holtz version.

No matter how light a touch, I still get round marks from the finger daubers. They are, however, very good for inking up the edges of a project. Perhaps they soak up too much ink? Or, more likely, it's user error.

I think the Tuskineko jumbo dauber that Linda posted would be best for coloring larger portions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I swirl and push the mini blender pads into the ink pads. Tapping at the ink pad isn't enough to ink up the blender. I haven't noticed a squeaky sound. I do get swirls on my projects but if I keep blending the swirls will usually blend in. The pads seem to get torn up too quickly sometimes, especially if I'm blending over a stencil. I seem to get marks with any type of blending tool...sponge, blender, dauber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 05:24 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the tips Arlene.

Those jumbo daubers look very nice, but I need to have one for each of my DI pads, and I have 35 of them. It's was expensive enough to get a rectangular one for each, and now I need a circular one as well.

I guess I am going to just practice. I watched this person using them in an online course I am taking, and she just took those little blenders and did a blended card front like nothing. So it can be done, people here say they are doing it, and I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I think more ink on the pad and less pressure when I use the tool might help.

I guess I am the only person with the squeaky sound. Maybe it's the paper I'm using (plain old SU Whisper White card stock). Maybe my WC paper wouldn't squeak!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 650 Posts

I took a card class on blending. I came home and spent hours and was so frustrated as I did not seem to be able to achieve a good look no matter how much I kept trying. I gave up and have not gone back to it yet. I have some rectangle pads and some round ones. I am in awe of anyone that does this well.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Robin - I have some of the rectangular blenders and a ton of the smaller circles and I really prefer the circles - I'm much less likely to get lines with the circles. I have noticed that sometimes the circles seem hard to ink up - but I figured it was a problem of that inkpad itself, since it didn't happen all the time. I can say that as I've used the pads (I also keep one for each color and just keep using it), they become more saturated with the ink and easier and easier to ink up. They do kind of "squeak" as well, although I don't usually notice it because I tend to have the tv or some music going. The squeaking goes away as the blender gets more and more ink saturated.

Like arlenevita, I usually push the blender into the inkpad instead of just tapping it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sad but glad to hear it's not just me that is having a problem with the round foam sticking. I've always been a fan but I have seen a couple of problems. Antique Linen products keep turning green (rinses, pads, and marker) ARRGH!

I have the rectangle, round, and daubers and I only use them for edging because no matter how hard I try, I will get an unintended line or a circle. For blending I use the stipple Airebrush made in Germany. IMHO they are the best for blending.

My sister was really frustrated with the applicators and daubers and I reminded her about the Airebrushes. She made the switch and is a happy stamper again.

I've attached a quick tutorial about how to use the brushes for blending.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf faux airebrush instructions.pdf (477.1 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Cheryl. I have been spending the morning putting a square of velcro on the bottom of my inkpads to hold the circle blender pads (the regular pad is velcro-ed on the top), so I guess what I need to do it start getting them saturated with ink.

And finally! Someone else noticed the squeak!

One thing I did do is put extra staples in my four mini handles. I think one staple in the center is not enough and will cause the pads to wear out faster. I did the same thing on my rectangular handles. I added staples so that the velco doesn't twist and shift as I work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I took a card class on blending. I came home and spent hours and was so frustrated as I did not seem to be able to achieve a good look no matter how much I kept trying. I gave up and have not gone back to it yet. I have some rectangle pads and some round ones. I am in awe of anyone that does this well.
They make it look so easy, don't they?! Two things I think really matter for the outcome, and are rarely mentioned. It's impossible to see how lightly or firmly they are pressing the blending tool against the paper, but in most cases it's a very light touch, especially in the beginning. I only noticed this once Tim Holtz pointed it out as a tip.

And if you notice on Jennifer McGuire's videos, when she is inking a background she gets a very very dark saturation very quickly � I can only think it's because she has super juicy ink pads. So that would be harder to control, but much quicker to get the effect you want without wearing out your arm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm by no means an expert on sponging but it's one of my favorite techniques. By watching tons of videos and reading tips more than a few stampers said they put down a thin layer of color first, then blend to make it darker. The paper is smoother with the ink down and it's easier to blend then.

Also, you do have to tap off on scrap paper every time you put ink on the dauber/sponge before you start off the paper and then blend in to it.

Hope that makes sense, I know what I want to say but it doesn't always come across that way when I post it!!:?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the Ranger round ones with the wooden handle. I didn't recall my squeaking to I just tried it and mine do not squeak . I wonder if you have defective ones.
I had a rectangle one and I always got harsh lines with it so I switched to the round one.

I have the little finger daubers too and they also work well .
I have 5 finger daubers and I wash them after I use them. I have been washing them for years and they are still fine. I only have the blender sponges that came with the round handled tool and I wash those too.
I also have one of the extra large finger daubers I bought from Gina K and that gets washed too.

I make my own stamp cleaner and that is what I use to wash the blender sponges . They all wash up beautifully you don't need to invest in a dauber for each color .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

BTW I never sponged over a stencil with my daubers so have never gotten torn. I have a large round sponge from Hobby Lobby for stencils . The sponges come 4 to a pack for $1.99 and I cut them in quarters for inking over a stencil . However I seldom ink stencils .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I like the Ranger round ones with the wooden handle. I didn't recall my squeaking to I just tried it and mine do not squeak . I wonder if you have defective ones.
I had a rectangle one and I always got harsh lines with it so I switched to the round one.

I have the little finger daubers too and they also work well .
I have 5 finger daubers and I wash them after I use them. I have been washing them for years and they are still fine. I only have the blender sponges that came with the round handled tool and I wash those too.
I also have one of the extra large finger daubers I bought from Gina K and that gets washed too.

I make my own stamp cleaner and that is what I use to wash the blender sponges . They all wash up beautifully you don't need to invest in a dauber for each color .
Interesting about washing your sponge daubers. I got all excited and tried using my Stamin' Mist to clean them, but I guess it needs to be done right after one has used them?, as it didn't seem to get the color out too much.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Interesting about washing your sponge daubers. I got all excited and tried using my Stamin' Mist to clean them, but I guess it needs to be done right after one has used them?, as it didn't seem to get the color out too much.

Shirl
Yes I wash them when I finish using them. Mine never get an ink build up because I wash them after each use. If you have an unused dauber try inking and then washing that one.

Maybe it is my home made stamp cleaner that gets them clean.
The recipe is :
2 Tablespoons Glycerine ( sold in drugstores )
2 Tablespoons Baby Shampoo ( I bought Meijer's Brand Baby Shampoo. )
8 oz Distilled water

In a spray bottle

When I found the recipe it said " Baby Wash" but since we used ivory soap when my kids were babies I didn't read the bottle carefully and accidently bought Baby Shampoo. I have been using it for several years and it works fine. I don't think shampoo goes bad .

I was told the Glycerine also acts as a stamp preservative for rubber stamps . I don't use my home made stamp cleaner on the few Polymer stamps I have . I bought a stamp cleaner especially for those stamps

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 01-31-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Maybe it is my home made stamp cleaner that gets them clean.
The recipe is :
2 Tablespoons Glycerine ( sold in drugstores )
2 Tablespoons Baby Shampoo ( I bought Meijer's Brand Baby Shampoo. )
8 oz Distilled water
Mine is the same, except in place of the shampoo/body wash, I use Simple Green cleaner. I don't care for the Simple Green aroma, but I bought a huge bottle so I'll be using it for awhile longer. But when I run out, I think I'll be changing over to a nice smelling baby shampoo.

I have my cleaner in an old Hampton Art Rub N Scrub stamp cleaner bottle.
The scrubbing sponge wore out, so I used a rubber band to attach a piece of an old flannel shirt. When it gets too dirty, I'll replace it with another piece of flannel.

Edited to add that I'll try washing my daubers after next use, but not with the flannel scrubber. I think that would certainly wear down the sponge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

Edited to add that I'll try washing my daubers after next use, but not with the flannel scrubber. I think that would certainly wear down the sponge.
I just spray the daubers with stamp cleaner, rub my fingers on the foam and rinse with tap water. I dab off some of the water on the sponges with an old cloth and let it sit on the counter to dry .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Barbara Jay, for the stamp cleaner recipe. I also will try with a new dauber to see if I get better results, although I do not have any new ones right now to try out. Thanks so much for all your postings.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Thanks Barbara Jay, for the stamp cleaner recipe. I also will try with a new dauber to see if I get better results, although I do not have any new ones right now to try out. Thanks so much for all your postings.

Shirl
You are welcome!
It would cost a Kings Ransom to buy a dauber for each color of ink pad you have. :shock:

I wash the circle foams that go on the Ranger wood handled dauber tool too.

VersaMagic Chalk ink leaves a slight tint on the foam but it is clean
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

P.S. If there is anyone who doesn't know this "Meijer" is a discount retailer like Walmart and I bought their generic store brand Baby shampoo . I am sure any generic Baby shampoo would be fine
Reply With Quote Likes