Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Ideas...

Hello ladies. I am looking for some scathingly brilliant ideas.

I have "adopted" a group of seniors (27 in total - both men and women) in a Long Term Care Facility. What this means is on special occasions - Valentines, St. Patricks, Easter, Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc.), I will make something for the residents. The nursing staff will hand them out.

I was originally going to make little boxes and put some Hershey Kisses in them - this would have been for everyone in the nursing home (160!). After talking to the activity co-ordinator, she thought it best if I adopt a wing in the nursing home. Since it is only 27 people now, I can be a bit more elaborate. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh, for many years now I have longed to have a scathingly brilliant idea; unfortunately I have been able to develop a rather dim glow, at best.

I wanted to mention, be sure to speak with the activities director before doing something involving food - some of the residents might be on a restricted diet and not able to eat the treats you prepare.

If the candy and gum are okay, Rochelle has quite a few different gift set ideas on her blog: link - check out the "gift sets" label and also "directions".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I agree about the food. I work in a rehab facility/nursing home and many of the patients are either diabetic or on restricted diets because of swallowing disorders. I make a card for each of our residents/patients most months. That way they all are assured of one piece of mail a month. I had originally thought just holidays, but I have a patient that delivers our mail and I've noticed that most of the long term care patients and my head injury patients don't every receive mail, so am now trying to do it monthly.

I wish more people would send mail to the nursing homes. Those patients get pretty lonely. I know my cards are appreciated because I see them hanging in the patients rooms all year round.

Toni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

First of all, what a wonderful thing you are doing. I'm sure the residents will appreciate it!

I always think activities are helpful or something to support their activities.

so maybe:
- bookmarks? i've seen wonderful ones on here and really, who can't use a bookmark from time to time
- personalized coffee mugs (with rubons or the "make-a-cup" type thing)
- or if you can go a little higher on budget, something that might be appreciated is an altered clipboard with a pen. Then you could get a collection of puzzle books from the dollar store and let them pick.

Anyway, let us know what you decide! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you all for your input.

I was originally going to make a little box up with Hershey kisses for everyone (160 people), but after talking with the activity directory, discussing food restrictions, eating limitations, mobility, etc. we decided that I could "adopt" a unit of the nursing home - 27 residents.

Now that it is only 27 people and not 160, I can afford to be a bit more elaborate with the treat. I am going to do some research to get some ideas I really like the clip-board / puzzle book idea. I have seen large print puzzle books that would be great.

I will let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes