Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Even when they are aging and you expect it, it is never easy.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so sorry about your loss :(
On staff to 9 cats, 2 weiner dogs and 2 old horses, I know exactly how you feel as I have gone through this many times as I have had alot of animals in the last 30 years.
Unfortunately, it doesn't get easier but time will fade your sorrow. I am a big believer in getting another buddy, not to replace because you can't, but to be able to give love to another little furball. I know it is a very personal choice and you'll know when the time is right. Again, my condolences.

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so very touched by the kind words from everyone. Today is the first day I decided to go back into my hobby room and decided to log into SCS and was truly touched by all the comments. It's nice to see that there are others who understand the grief and the pain I'm feeling right now.

I know in my heart I will find my way back to adopting another pet or two - Once a pet lover... always a pet lover!

Again... thanks to all who took the time to post - you all are the best! Hugs go out to all those who have lost their little four legged friends as well.

Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

(((((Hugs))))). We have had to say a number of goodbyes over the years, it never gets any easier but there always seems to be one or two others just around the corner, waiting for a loving home. We lost Mooch, the Tail-less Terror, to a horrible run-in with a neighbour just last October. Although we still had the two boys, Buddy and Mr. Hissy, Mooch had won our hearts even though he was certainly not the ideal pet and made the boys' lives a nightmare. In November, we got a call from a friend at the lake, a small cat had darted into their home on a cold night and they already have two special needs cats. We went and got her ... oh, my! She was such a pitiful sight, skin and bones, with a huge lump on her side. Our vet said if we had not taken her, she would have died of starvation within a week. Her name is Gabby, she is now fit, healthy and spayed, lives up to her name (talks all the time!) and totally adores her people. The boys also recognize her standing as a princess and have a great amount of respect for her ... though all she wants to do is play, not recognizing that ferals are not always playful!

Another one will win your heart, not a replacement, just another one who needs love. Also, I know it is still early for you but please consider adopting an older cat ... or two. Really, they will learn to get along just as well as kittens do.

Joan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Grandpeuce, I am so sorry that you have lost your buddy. We, too have gone through this in Feb this year and we are still mourning the loss of our 14 yr old Beagle. People love their pets and pets love their people. However, there comes a time when we have to say goodbye and it is not easy. It helps to think of all the good times we had and the good life our pet had. I hope your pain eases soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

My cat Mama Cat lived until the grand old age of 20! We were planning on taking her out for her a few drinks for her 21st! It is very hard to lose a dear pet, especially when we have them for so many years. {LOVE} & {HUGS} to you....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

i love cats but am highly allergic to them so had a dog that was badly beaten and dumped on the side of the road.he was black and very afraid of people.i really didnt think he would survive the wounds and he wouldnt let us near so we couldnt take him to a vet.we are in a rural area.but after a few days of fresh and healthy food and water left out for him,he started trusting me just a little .i examined the wounds and they were very bad but i put some ointment on and he survived for 5 years he was very protective of me and my husband and did not like strangers but did not try to bite,he just kept us informed.i went to the rescue shelter to hunt another fog after he died but i just couldnt find one that i could connect with,i dont have the energy to handle a puppy and older dogs are not easy to find that will also be ok around the grands and greatgrand kids.when timing is right the right one will show up.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
Post Understanding here

I too understand your pain and wish you well. My beloved Chang Li is missed even now over a year later. But my cat Reba has become my stamping friend as she sits and watches me. Thank goodness for pets. They help beat loneliness as your on-line friends obviously do too. I am glad you have so many SCS friends. Count me in.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

You did a wonderful thing helping that dog and giving him 5 years of love and comfort. 5 years is better than none (for the dog), but for us, not long enough.
I'm not pushing greyhounds but you mentioned an older dog. We can't get greyhounds from rescue groups until they are not racing any longer. My first greyhound was 3 1/2 when we got her and Duke was 5. We still have Duke who will be 12 in October but we lost Missy to uretha cancer 2 years ago. Very sad. Greyhounds are tested for prospective owners needs. If you have cats or other small animals, they dog will be tested to make sure he/she is safe with cats or small animals. Not a guarantee but you can never tell with any animal if for some reason it goes after a cat or small dog. Duke is so good. He has a very low prey drive and ignores my cats, squirrels and ducks in my yard etc. He could care less. If your dog will be around small children, they test for that too. They are very calm, loving dogs. Not any higher maintenance than any other dog as far as vetinary care goes. They don't shed much because they have a short coat. If you ever decided to get a greyhound you could do a Google search for greyhound rescue groups in your area. Some rescue groups have kennels where you can go see the dogs and select one. My group doesn't have that because land in NY is ridiculously expensive. We (through my rescue group) more or less rescue blind. We can select the sex of the dog but that's it. The reason being they don't get the dogs from the track until they know how many people are going to be taking them. Besides that, and I think they're right, their theory is, if color is that important to you, you don't deserve a dog. My group is great. You don't just get to rescue a greyhound because you want one. Too many wackos out there for that. The adoption coordinator talks to you and she can usually tell what kind of home the dog will be going to by the questions she asks and the answers people give. If she doesn't feel the dog will be going to a good home, you don't get the dog. The one thing I will tell you is a greyhound can never be outside off leash if it's not in a fenced yard. They're sight hounds and have extremely great vision. If they spot something that catches they're interest, they're gone. Hard to catch a dog who can run up to 45 mph. Also, the doors must always be watched because you don't want your dog to get out. I see way too many notices from people who lost their dogs. I'm paranoid about that. Duke never tried to get out but even after 6 years of having him, I do not take chances. They do charge a fee for the dog but that pays for spaying/neutering, a dental, a bath, a physical. If you're interested, your local rescue group is the place to get information. I apologize for this mini series of a post but you get me talking about greyhounds or animals and I just go on and on - lol. Good luck. I hope you find a dog who will fit into your life so you can give and get that special kind of love only a pet can give.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuceView Post
Thanks Lydia and Jill... I'm hoping to get another kitty in time. I'm sure that will help me overcome the pain I feel right now. I will be sure to get more than one kitty next time - coming home to an empty house is a horrible feeling so maybe two is better than one.

Thanks again for the words of support!
I have two dogs that mean the world to me! I lived without a dog for many years because my husband isn't an animal lover (I know!! but I love him anyway). One day, out of the blue, he said "let's get you a dog". There was not looking back. I had my first Westie, Sophie, in three weeks. Five years later, we added another Westie. I purposely staggered them in age because I can't stand the thought of an empty house ever again.

My heart aches for you. I hope another stamping buddy will find it's way into your heart and home when you are ready. Not a replacement, ever, for your sweet kitty , but an addition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i am so sorry. one of our cats dies in december. she was often on the chair behind where i scrapbook, and i was so used to seeing her in her "perch". the other cats often come around while i'm crafting. it is so hard to say good-bye to a pet. God bless you.
Reply With Quote Likes