Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrapbooking! What do I need to get started?

I was wanting to do a scrapbook of my wedding and honeymoon! Can anyone give me any pointers on what I need to get started or even what I need to buy? I have not bought anything yet, I wanted to ask here first.
How do I know what to put on the pages?

Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Hi Amy,

I would suggest start by looking in the gallery here. Just pull up the scrapbook pages and do a search for wedding or honeymoon and see what comes up. Take a look at the layouts and the colors. For the wedding photos, you could either choose "traditional" wedding colors (white, black, silver, etc.) or you can pick colors that are close to the colors of your wedding.

For the honeymoon pictures, I would try to focus on the colors in the photos you took. When I scrapbook, I use a variety of embellishments, too. I use ribbon, eyelets, all different kinds of stamps, tags, brads.

Hope that helps get you started!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Since you are a stamper, you probably already have your basic supplies. Adhesive, cardstock, a good 12 inch cutter (and stamps!!) Buy a good journaling pen, because I HAVE known people whose albums got wet. Of course everything was ruined, but all of the journaling was saved to copy down when she redid a new scrapbook.
I just finished re-doing my scrapbook. Here is my best advice. Choose one good set, or two coordinating sets. Choose three or four colors for the entire book, and stick with that. It is easy to do in a wedding album, because all weddings have their own colors. It looks SO much better this way!!
HTH!!
Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also, look for magazines for ideas. I like creating keepsakes, my best friend likes simple scrapbooks. We cut out the articles/pictures we like and put them in a notebook, that way we know right where they are to refer to, instead of pulling out every magizine! Sometimes people say that a small scrapbook (like 6x6) is best to get started with because it's not as overwhelming. HTH Happy Scrappin'. And remember, anything you do will be wonderful to your family and friends. They'll be impressed no matter what, because YOU did it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2005, 07:25 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Buy a quality scrapbook for something of this importance. You will need cardstock, a variety of adhesives, and a few good stamps sets. I did an album for my sister with just Wedding Wishes, Classic Alphabet, and Classic Caps. It came out gorgeous. I used velum and confetti white cardstock and gold embossing powder and some of the thinner light blue organdy ribbon. This is a place where you will get your use out of a 25 yard spool cause you can use the same ribbon throughout.

I can recommend making memories stamping and scrapping special suppliment. They cover ALL the basics that relate to stamping in scrapbooks.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Default And for layout ideas...

I highly recommend you get a copy of Becky Higgins sketch book. It is around $14-$15/copy but I swear it is the only layout book you'll need. She creates layouts using basic sketches and adds detail from there. The book is organized according to how many pictures you want to fit onto a 2 page layout.

A second edition of this magazine is supposedly in the works and due for release sometime later this year. It's published by Creating keepsakes and can be purchased at various craft stores or from the CK website directly.

Also, check your library for books about scrapbooking. I know that Memory Makers has put out some nice hard back books in the past couple of years. Not necessary to own, but worth thumbing through to get you started.

Marty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

While 6x6 scrapbooks might not be so overwhelming at first, I definitely think 12x12 is the way to go. You won't have to be so picky about what pictures do and don't make it into the book, and it's easier to get lots of pictures on a page...I use six 4x6 all vertical or all horizontal pics and just tile them right next to each other for situations where the pictures are all similar (i.e. pics of people at the tables at your wedding reception, pics of you snorkleing/skiing whatever on your honeymoon...)

I agree with the previous posters about supplies:

Scrapbook
3 coordinating colors for backgrounds, mounts, and journaling blocks throughout the book (or you could even do an entire SU! color family and it would still look coordinated)
a few stamp sets
ink to match the colors you chose
ribbon to match the colors
journaling pen in one dark color

I liked someone else's idea about gold embossing! That sounds beautiful for a wedding!

Good luck!

Linn
Reply With Quote Likes