Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #201  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

There have been alot of great posts on here - thank goodness I made it to the last page!

I am on the design team of a Canadian online store www.stampandscrapcanada.com They do not make stamps but sell products from many different companies and I love virtually everything they carry. So, suggestion #1 would be to try companies other than those who manufacture stamps! Online stores that simply sell other manufacturer's products need DT members too.

Suggestion #2 This company does not require alot of time. They send a 'care package' with various items in it. I can request certain items (though I don't necessarily get them) and also let them know if there are products I already have or do not want to get. Then I am expected to make 5-6 items - scrap book page, card, ATC or other items - from the supplies, I can add other items they don't sell as long as I keep it to a minimum, and also add any items I own that they sell other than what it in the package. So I only have to make a few items every couple of months. Perfect for me. So if you have limited time try a company like this.

Suggestion #3 Write good instructions (if this is required) Be sure to write them very clearly! There is nothing worse than reading instructions that don't make sense, miss steps or use unusual supplies without explaining them.

Suggestion #4 Make interesting cards. There are so many cool card instructions on here that are other than basic side or top fold card. Use them! This can help you get on the design team by getting you noticed. in addition, there will certainly be readers on the company's website who do not know about SCS and will never have seen such interesting cards. It will bring readers back over and over to see such interesting creations.

Suggestion #5 Make projects other than cards! Try home dec or altered items!

Suggestion #6 Be polite and professional. If you do not get the job, write a thank you note and ask that you be kept on file for next time.

I think that some of the other suggestions given were great: submit to magazines, have a blog (that is what I referred the above company to when they asked me to submit work-you don't have to add to it everyday, use it like a gallery!), photograph well, be sure you understand the requirements of the job before accepting and be persistent. Make sure your style meshes with the company's images or products. Ask a friend to critique your work, perhaps you need help with something simple like colour theory or proportion.

Hope this helps!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #202  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,127 Likes on 508 Posts

Maybe someone else already said - play the challenges (but not so much that you lose the ability to think on your own - challenge yourself too!), post in the forums, hone your art, develop your own style. Love and be good at what you do, and be open to improving and growing and learning new things.

When we did the DT call for smARTworks last year, we had quite the variety of people apply - we had everyone from beginners to 'rockstars' (so be encouraged that they're not getting chosen by everyone!). Motivation varied from "I want the free stuff" (seriously!), to having a stepping stone to higher things, to growing as a stamper.

I'd say most people who applied had never heard of the company before.

The things we looked at in choosing members were:

-quality of work (use of color, layout, design, embellishments, preferred media, style)
-variety of projects (just cards? or altered items, etc)
-number of present commitments
-sphere of influence (blog, boards, galleries)
-motivation/attitude

Something to remember in not being chosen is that companies are looking to have team that can display their products diversely in a variety of areas, including style and media - another motivation to develop your own style so your work doesn't look like everyone else's.
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #203  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on several teams and am really enjoying that they are so very different in style. It is fun for me to play with different types of stamps, not the same all the time, that would get boring rather quickly! Most teams I ever was on I went and applied when they had a call, others I was personally asked. I'd say go for it! If you see a company that you really like, just pay attention when their next call is and do send in your submission. Be active on that companies website/forum/blog whatever and hang around. You will see what they like. Observe the work of the current DT, some companies have a definitely preference in style that they are going for.
It really isn't about having lots of expensive stuff and such. I can cut a mean mat without using nestabilities..... and you can do great coloring jobs with simple colored pencils, not everybody needs copics
Just know who you would really like to work for and then go for it. Might need some patience until there is the next opening but it will happen!
So, it is not really us who are on several teams that "take your place" because everybody can apply, no?
I really hate when you do not get a return email that your application has been received - that would be one reason for me NOT to work for that company. It only takes a minute or two to hit reply and say : thanks for your application and interest!
Reply With Quote Likes