Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #881  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here we have to pay 6 weeks (so month and half) to rent the place. Which SUCKS when you need to move out ASAP.

Its funny how things in different parts of the world are so different, take SU! for example... Im hoping that because of the strong aussie dollar some prices will come down in the next catty but I think I may be dreaming...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #882  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. LOL
People here would gladly pay the higher SU prices if they had the paid vacation and sick days that many other countries have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #883  
Crimping Master

You guys dont get paid vacation or sick days? (If you work full time and considered full time)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #884  
Cardstock Collector

I did well with the cold turkey moratorium on buying from the time it first posted to last week. I needed stickers for a particular project. In celebration of the end of the school year, while I was at it indulged in more paper and some blank cards with envelopes. For all of it I spent less than $50.00. Money was less of an issue for me than that before I kept buying supplies but didn't have time to make cards. Now that I am on summer break I am determined to use materials I do have and go back on the plan to not buy more supplies.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #885  
Hardware Hotshot

Paid sick days are very rare with private companies even the huge ones.
After a year many people get 5 days paid vacation, but to get 10 days you have to work for several years. I worked for a fortune 500 company and I had to work 28 years before I got 20 days of paid vacation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #886  
Crimping Master

Seriously? Wow. We get 10 days paid sick leave and 20 holidays per year if you are full time (pro rata if you are part time). Not that I actually use those days...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #887  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all - how is everyone doing? Well, June has not been a good month for the craft spending for me - just spent almost $80 on SU!, but on mostly non-consumables (two new punches), and embossing powders which I had run out of. Then I spent another $10 at Archivers on.....paper. Sigh! However, they were very specific purchases - 2 graduation papers, 1 package of graduation embellishments (which I have none of, and my son is graduating next week), and 8 hockey background papers, which I had run out of, and I have to scrapbook this year's hockey pictures. However, because of this thread, in January, I started making cards by shopping my stash - so far I have 60 made and everything used in them is at least 1 year old, with some things that are 8 or 9 years old. So far I have uploaded the baby cards, and have just created a gallery. Some of them are incomplete because they need a sentiment on the front (welcome baby), but I have to wait to borrow that stamp from a friend of mine. I thought I would upload them anyway. If you do happen to take a look, any suggestions on how to complete them would be gratefully welcomed.

Hopefully, July will be better, and I won't be tempted by the new SU! catalogue.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #888  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

My "cold turkey" time has been going WELL!!!! I believe I did get a little something soon after I said I would go cold turkey... some "special occassion" or something, but OVER-ALL, I haven't been buying ANYTHING!!!!!! I miss all the new stuff, but I figure when the time comes to let loose, JUST MAYBE, the companies will have TONS of even better stuff!!!!!!! I still look at things as they come through the emails, but I've been staying out of the stores!!!! Hope everyone else is doing as well or better!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #889  
Rubber Obsessor

Always enjoyed reading this thread. It's helped give me inspiration to stop the insanity in my craft room also! The biggest thing for me was to cancel my monthly club membership. Loved the club, the forum, the product, but I was outgrowing my craftroom and don't need anything more. So I am proud to say I have passed up on last month's CTMH order and the last sale at my SU gal. and have stayed out of the stores! I go to a retreat the end of the month and figured I'd buy a few goodies there, but hope to keep it within reason. I used up two sticker sheets on cards last week and it felt wonderful! I know you guys would understand my thrill of that small feat! But I'm determined that in 2011, I will change my scrapbook shopping habits., and use use use!!
Anybody else have a small 'victory' like my using up 2 sticker sheets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #890  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisha_1988View Post
Seriously? Wow. We get 10 days paid sick leave and 20 holidays per year if you are full time (pro rata if you are part time). Not that I actually use those days...
Wow, I am never going to complain again about vacation time - we get 105 days of paid sick leave before we go on Long Term Disability (LTD), and start with 2 weeks of paid vacation, on top of the 15 statutory holidays. After 3 years of full time service, we get 3 weeks, 4 weeks after 10 years, 5 weeks after 15, 6 weeks after 20, and 7 weeks after 25, plus 1 additional day for each year after 25.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #891  
Matboard Maniac

Location: A quiet woodsy retirement place in Northern Georgia
A Little Birdie Told Me

I had done some very careful spending the first 6 months of this year, but decided it was time for a treat....ordered some Flourishes and Crafty Secrets stamp sets I'd been lusting after for months. I'm calling it an early birthday present to myself. (Only 4 months early.) Not counting this purchase I've averaged about $8 a month on goodies, but currently that average is out the window...with wings!!! HA HA Now back to my frugal ways....ahhhhh, sigh.

Live simply, Love generously

All those who seek, shall find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #892  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i haven't done so well this year. i keep seeing all these crafting stores going out of business and i get nervous and think that i better buy everything on my wish list before it's obsolete.

i got a cinch v2, some chipboard and wires to make my scrapbooks. that was pretty expensive in one lump sum, but i won't need to buy chipboard or wires for at least two years, lol.

i am going to really really challenge myself to only spend 200.00 over the next six months and use up as much of my stash as i can before 2012.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #893  
Matboard Maniac

I am happy to say I've been doing pretty good at shopping my own craft room. I challanged myself to do a scrapbook for my grandson's 1st year from what I already had. I got a scrapbook at a garage sale last summer (before he was born) for $2.00 it already had paper and stickers with it. I haven't spent a dime on supplies since this thread started. I have one last page to do in his book. Troy's 1st birthday is Sunday so Monday I will have the book finished. It will be a late gift but I'm sure he won't mind. Mommy doesn't know I've been doing this since a week after he was born. I can't wait until they get the package next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #894  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I am doing OK this month . Several times I have been tempted by things I saw others use and went to a site and put things in my cart. Then as I promised my self before I hit the "order button" I will have a cup of coffee and think about it. Each time I have thought "do I really need this" I deleted the cart and walked away. Only once did I really order what was in my cart and that was for some Copics
I am planning on placing an order when my SU demo has her open house. I "really" want 4 of the the new colors in CS and I think the doily stamp . But those are not impulse purchases. What I have stopped is impulse purchases
I have not been to Michael's , Joanns nor Hobby Lobby in over a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #895  
Rubber Obsessor

Ohhh - impulse buys. I've done quite a few of those. And if I didn't know which color, heck buy them in every color! So, my room might not show it, but I am making progress and 'shopping my stash'. I'm sure I will uncover some treasures I forgot I had along the way!
I also had to take a hard look and decide that some forums, while the people are wonderful, were real enablers to me. I think I felt like I was in some special club if I had everything! So maybe the spending in the scrapbook arena goes deeper than I thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #896  
Pearl-ExPert

I signed up as an SU demo and just placed a biiiiggg order. But I saved 30% because it was my first order. I also hit the quilt shop a few times in the last month. But overall I am happy with myself. I didn't do nearly the usual damage at the quilt shops. My SU order was stuff I'd wanted for a year and never got. Last night I went to J's to pick up some photo boxes that were 2 for $5. I picked up a magazine that in the past I would have bought, read once, then added to my pile but last night I put it back. Hooray for me! So, I've fallen off the cold turkey wagon but at least I am running along side it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #897  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I go up and down on spending. I do think about purchases much more carefully now and am spending a lot less than last year. SU!'s new catty only has one stamp I NEED and one that I might possibly need. I've been very good for at least a month but this week's 50% Michael's coupons have me buying Lock Tight storage boxes every day (I work right across the street...yikes!) for embellishments like brads, etc. so I can put them into ROYGBIV order. I'm slowly sorting through all my stash, organizing, purging, and donating stamps sets, paper, embellishments, etc. that I don't want (and don't want to bother trying to sell) to From Our Hearts for cards for the troops to send home to their families. I have large flat rate USPS boxes handy so I can put stuff right in them as I sort. Already sent one box full of bare rubber stamp sets that were mostly new and hadn't been touched in over 6 months. I'm sad I wasted all that money on stamps I thought I HAD to have but at least now they are going to a great cause.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #898  
Crimping Master

Wow that's confusing! Ours is a set 10 & 20 days with the 20 days being carried over if you don't use it all

On the plus side I got accepted for a house today so move in mext week yay! And no craft spending altho going to my LSS tomorrow night for a closing down sale....
Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Wow, I am never going to complain again about vacation time - we get 105 days of paid sick leave before we go on Long Term Disability (LTD), and start with 2 weeks of paid vacation, on top of the 15 statutory holidays. After 3 years of full time service, we get 3 weeks, 4 weeks after 10 years, 5 weeks after 15, 6 weeks after 20, and 7 weeks after 25, plus 1 additional day for each year after 25.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #899  
Kookie Creator

Default fell off the wagon-heck, I even rolled down the hill and landed on the train tracks!

Well, in addition to the $80 I spent as noted a few posts ago, I just spent another $120 at Michaels.....I hate myself (well, not really, but I am not altogether happy with myself!). I wonder if I can sue Michaels for driving me broke because of their 50% off coupons - it's like a gambling addiction....I am sure I can find some lawyer somewhere to take my case!

Using multiple 50% off coupons (my husband, son and daughter all accompanied me as "customers"), I purchased 4 sets of American Crafts markers - 20 markers in all for $45 Cdn, and the best thing is other than Baha Breeze and Wild Wasabi, they all either perfectly match or are a close enough match to the new SU! colours (not the in colours, the new colours in the regular lines). I was contemplating buying that set of 13 markers, plus 6 additional single ones, and it would have come to $80 Cdn - so I spent almost half. Then, after seeing another thread about word stamps in the dollar bin ($1.50 bin here in Canada) at Michaels, I went and scooped a bunch (okay, 23) of them up, plus another stamp ("Footprints" spiritual verse) with another coupon, 3 rolls of $1 ribbon, & 2 Tim Holtz Distress Ink pads (each 30% off). A grand total of $75 spent.

On the bright side, I have really been working at using up my existing stash (I have uploaded a bunch more pictures to my gallery last night) so am slowing using things up.

On the down side, I have spent more this month than all the previous 5 months combined. Time to climb back on the wagon, take the reins of the horse and drive away from temptation!

On the funny side, my son grumbled the entire time about having to buy these crafting markers and how much of a dork he looked. I reminded him that my 10" caesarean scar incurred while giving birth to him more than made up for the "dorkness" factor, and to just suck it up and pay the cashier. The lady beside me almost spit out her coffee she laughed so hard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #900  
Hardware Hotshot

flash&rusty!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!! NOW, I know what to say to BOTH of my kids when they start complaining about having to go to the craft store with me!!!!! They ALWAYS give me a hard time in there!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!
On top of that, I too find it VERY DIFFICULT to walk away from coupons & sales!!!!! Do you have a B.D. coming up???? THAT or a little holiday, is when I usually get my stuff, it just gives me an excuse!!!! All the savings are HARD TO PASS UP!!!!!
THANKS FOR MAKING ME LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #901  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I reminded him that my 10" caesarean scar incurred while giving birth to him more than made up for the "dorkness" factor, and to just suck it up and pay the cashier. The lady beside me almost spit out her coffee she laughed so hard!
HA HA HA!! I have to remember this next time my daughter grumbles! Cheers to you for shopping smart!:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #902  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Well, in addition to the $80 I spent as noted a few posts ago, I just spent another $120 at Michaels.....I hate myself (well, not really, but I am not altogether happy with myself!). I wonder if I can sue Michaels for driving me broke because of their 50% off coupons - it's like a gambling addiction....I am sure I can find some lawyer somewhere to take my case!

Using multiple 50% off coupons (my husband, son and daughter all accompanied me as "customers"), I purchased 4 sets of American Crafts markers - 20 markers in all for $45 Cdn, and the best thing is other than Baha Breeze and Wild Wasabi, they all either perfectly match or are a close enough match to the new SU! colours (not the in colours, the new colours in the regular lines). I was contemplating buying that set of 13 markers, plus 6 additional single ones, and it would have come to $80 Cdn - so I spent almost half. Then, after seeing another thread about word stamps in the dollar bin ($1.50 bin here in Canada) at Michaels, I went and scooped a bunch (okay, 23) of them up, plus another stamp ("Footprints" spiritual verse) with another coupon, 3 rolls of $1 ribbon, & 2 Tim Holtz Distress Ink pads (each 30% off). A grand total of $75 spent.

On the bright side, I have really been working at using up my existing stash (I have uploaded a bunch more pictures to my gallery last night) so am slowing using things up.

On the down side, I have spent more this month than all the previous 5 months combined. Time to climb back on the wagon, take the reins of the horse and drive away from temptation!

On the funny side, my son grumbled the entire time about having to buy these crafting markers and how much of a dork he looked. I reminded him that my 10" caesarean scar incurred while giving birth to him more than made up for the "dorkness" factor, and to just suck it up and pay the cashier. The lady beside me almost spit out her coffee she laughed so hard!

That is hilarious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #903  
Hardware Hotshot

Look at it this way . You spend about $200 all in one go, but did not buy anything for 5 months so that works out to be about $40 a month. That is not awful. Plus you got everyting at 50% off.
Just a complete set of SU markers would be nearly that much .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #904  
Kookie Creator

thanks everyone for talking me down from the proverbial ledge.....

And I have been using the scar thing for years - for both of my kids. I use it, plus the stretch marks that look like a road map in the American midwest, and the grey hair I got the moment I gave birth to my first born (and I do mean it - I have been dyeing my hair since I was 25, as the hairdresser told me that "sorry dear, highlighting isn't going to cut it anymore"!). Yeah, whatever complaints and whining they throw at me, I raise them 2 c scars & grey hair. Works every time!

Hopefully, the next few months will be better, and I will have more willpower.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #905  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

you are too funny, you should be a writer you know;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #906  
Gabfest Goddess

HELP! I just received a 20% off coupon from my amuse studio friend and I'm sitting here filling up the shopping cart! I have resisted buying anything since she gave me a catalog several months ago (even though I put post-its on pages that have things that interest me) because I don't want to pay full price. NOW I get this coupon...sigh...I have resisted for so long. Think I'll "pretend" and fill up the cart, then walk away, and go look at all the wood mounted amuse stamps and patterned paper that I already have and check them off in my catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #907  
Gabfest Goddess

OMG!!! I did look at the Amuse stamps I do have which led me to emptying a bunch of Cropper Hopper containers with handles (some have one drawer that snaps on top, some have two drawers, some three). I have over 20 of these that I no longer want!!! I used to keep embellishments and rubber stamps in them but I'm sorting, purging, and reorganizing and have "better" storage so the Cropper Hoppers have to go to the Salvation Army! What a waste of money! Loved them several years ago but don't any longer. As I'm purging stamps, DP, and embellishments I'm filling large flat rate boxes that I'm shipping to From Our Hearts in hopes that they will be a blessing (and not the nightmare they look like to me!) that FOH can use to make cards for the troops to send home to their families. Needless to say, I no longer feel the need to order Amuse stuff! WHEW!!! With all the stuff I already do have I could probably fill more than 10 boxes and not even miss what I've donated!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #908  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
OMG!!! I did look at the Amuse stamps I do have which led me to emptying a bunch of Cropper Hopper containers with handles (some have one drawer that snaps on top, some have two drawers, some three). I have over 20 of these that I no longer want!!! I used to keep embellishments and rubber stamps in them but I'm sorting, purging, and reorganizing and have "better" storage so the Cropper Hoppers have to go to the Salvation Army! What a waste of money! Loved them several years ago but don't any longer. As I'm purging stamps, DP, and embellishments I'm filling large flat rate boxes that I'm shipping to From Our Hearts in hopes that they will be a blessing (and not the nightmare they look like to me!) that FOH can use to make cards for the troops to send home to their families. Needless to say, I no longer feel the need to order Amuse stuff! WHEW!!! With all the stuff I already do have I could probably fill more than 10 boxes and not even miss what I've donated!!!

Good for you!! I know how you feel. I talked myself out of something expensive yesterday (that I have been wanting for a long time) and I am so happy that I didn't buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #909  
Hardware Hotshot

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW how you feel!!!! Buying something NEW always gives one a lift! BUT, when you're trying to cut back, it can cause one nightmares!! How wise of you to go & look at what you already have!!!!!!!!!!! Proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #910  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks, stamping friends! It was horrifying to see how much stuff I have that I don't use and am going to donate as I purge and reorganize. I can barely walk into my dressing room (tiny bedroom I use because we live in a one closet 125 yr old farmhouse) because of all the stuff that doesn't fit in my craftroom! Looks like "Hoaders" in there. 3 large flat rate boxes of paper, embellishments, and stamps are almost ready to be shipped out tomorrow with a fourth box in progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #911  
Hardware Hotshot

WOW! I DO know what you're talking about!! We lived in a home built in the early 1920's for 15 years! The closets were SOOO LITTLE!!!!! There was no real storage anywhere! It DOES make it hard.... We moved about 5 years ago & guess what? I'm STILL in need of storage & closet space! LOL Oh well, we ALL make do, don't we???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #912  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I fell off the wagon and I am running behind it to catch it LOL

I spent a bit more than planned , but Copics are going up in price on August 1st so I am trying to get the ones I want before the price increase.
If that isn't enough, my Demo is having her Open House for the new catalog on July 1st and I "really" want 4 of the 5 new colors of CS. ;)
So-o-o-o
It looks like most of July and all of August will be a total craft purchase drought
But I will be smiling with my new stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #913  
Crimping Master

After my small splurge on my birthday I've decided to have a cull!!! Mainly because I've realised that moving house when you have a craft room is hell! Sooo tedious
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #914  
Cardstock Collector

I need to go cold-turkey on my spending! I just finished cleaning and organizing my office/stamping/scrapbooking space, and I have more than enough stuff to last quite a while. Other than adhesive, envelopes, and white cardstock for card bases, I don't need anything else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #915  
Pearl-ExPert

I am in the middle of re-organizing and purging my craft room. My LSS had their rummage over the weekend and I took FIVE boxes of stuff. I brought just one home with unsold stuff. Now I have a nice size store credit just waiting to be spent. I have decided that spending that won't count toward falling off the wagon. Right? :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #916  
Rubber Obsessor

You are correct. Store credit from the rummage sales doesn't count!:p
I'd be willing to bet that even when you spend your earnings, you will be making wiser choices! A person can spend an awful lot of scrapbook time 'organizing' all the stuff. I know I can. and while I enjoy that part too, it's not getting my long list of projects done!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #917  
Crimping Master

:O I'd forgotten I was on this thread. Have been very active lately, in both crafting and physically. If I was on those threads were you get money to spend for so and so minutes of exercise, I'd empty out my bank account! I have a new Golden Retriever pup. She's about 5 months now. I have to walk her at least 30 minutes two times a day to keep her mellow and to help make the training easier. My goal originally was 20 minutes twice a day, but most of the time I do complete the hour a day of brisk walking (puppy's off-leash as much as possible- don't worry, this place is safe and is an enclosed community). Some days I even clear an hour and a half! I'm not psyched that my weight doesn't seem to be diminishing, at least according to the scale, but most of my clothes were loose, and I went down a cup size.
I've been mostly coming to SCS to look at the gallery a few times a day.
As for purchases: I've been very good, to be honest! Been too tired from exercising to bother going out to shop ;) Have bought tombow tape runner replacements, a few ink pads in colors I didn't have any shade of (blue, grey and red), and different shades of colors I do have. I try to get the cat's eye ones, because they're cheaper and just as good for what I use them for, which would be inking edges or using an aquabrush with. Also, there's loads of colors available. For father's day, I went to the LSS and bought a few things, but it only came up to about $50. Then again, I did order a scallop edge punch, the extended platform for the big shot, and adhesive refills. I'll pay for that when the order comes in and I go to pick it up. Good thing is that I used the things I bought there right away. Bought two 6x6 paper pads and a few loose sheets of 12x12, and with those I made tons of father's day cards and matching envelopes. It was VERY easy to come up with awesome cute cards because I had the whole collection of PP in my hands to play with. Beats matching imperfectly a few papers together from the hundreds of papers I already have. Even then, I managed to incorporate some into the cards from my own stash. All the card stock came from there, as well. My mother had bought a CARDS magazine as a present for me for helping her out in booking a vacation for her and dad, and I LOVE how it totally inspired me. Looking at the stunning cards motivated me a lot to sit down and create. Too bad that thing costs $20! At least I'm not tempted to buy a subscription, not with that price!
I have made several other cards and altered a sketchbook I had lying around and transformed it into a puppy journal. The pages inside will be sort of scrap book pages. I have loads of pics which I printed out on Georgia Pacific white card stock. Way cheaper than photo paper, and it was already part of my stash! Can't wait to get started on that. I was motivated to do this based on the Project Life I've been following on Ali Edward's blog. I'll be recording life with new puppy. There's LOTS to write about. Every day comes with frustrations and tears, and I'll be glad to have somewhere private and personal to vent.
My goal now is to turn on the cricut imagine and print/cut a bunch of elements to use later on. I especially would like to cut out the alphabet in several colors and sizes, to have them ready to use for the puppy journal, cards and scrapbook pages. Beats using my rapidly dwindling colored card stock or buying alphabet stickers all the time. I bought a sheet from the Kmart clearance bin, and did use them, but a $ here and a $ there adds up.
Now that my ink stash is multiplying, I would like to find a sentiment stamp set to use on cards. Cutting letters on the cricut in such tiny sizes so as to form a phrase doesn't always work. In fact, even the larger ones, if thin enough, mess up the paper pretty badly. So will look into finding a sentiment set with sentiments for several different occasions. Just need the basics, like Thank You, Get well, the big holidays, etc.
I am very happy to have found a whole pack of creamy caramel SU! card stock. I was getting worried because I can't seem to find kraft card stock locally. It's always out of stock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #918  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
Joining this thread. Like others have posted, price of things going up, wages stagnant in DH's case, my part time wages were here with 7 unpaid days (I work for a school district). I did pick up a job at JoAnn's teaching scrapbooking and How to use your Cricut. Fun classes, had to buy supplies for the scrapbooking class, but not for the Cricut class. I did put commission I earned backed into the checking account.

I haven't bought any Cricut Cartridges since Mother's Day, which has been a challenge worth taking on, those sales and working at the store are compelling.

I got a $50 gift card to JoAnn's and I took advantage of the open stock cardstock 5 sheets for $1. There was even some Tim Holtz paper that I picked up at that price. I replenished my stash of paper, using every bit of the $50 and my 10% discount for teaching at the store. All that cardstock was immediately sorted by colors, and stored with what I did have to be able to start using right away.

I'd been tripping over and moving a shoe box full of paper scraps (youngest son wears a size 16 shoe, so it was a big box) and 3 gallon zip bags of paper scraps. I almost tossed them all the in the city paper recycling can, and then I had an idea.

If I could keep the paper large, like 8-1/2" x 11" it stayed that big. If that didn't work I cut it down to 6"x6", which fits on my Cricut mats. Still to small, I cut the paper down to 5.25" x 4" which is the first layer of an A2 card. Everything else was recycled. I now have it all trimmed to fit, sorted by colors and can quickly assemble cards, or use them to make cuts. It's sort of like getting free mat stacks.

We just found out we might need a new air conditioner/heater unit. $5,000 plus the rental of a crane to put it on the roof. So, there goes the craft budget, except for white paper and adhesives. :( Hopefully, the part can be found and it won't cost so much.

I need to join this group and stay on the saving plan. I have a ton of stash, I'm set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #919  
Crimping Master

Hah! Found kraft card stock at papertrey ink, and also a nice set with tons of sentiments for all occasions. Also bought a pack of the card stock sampler and a smaller set of sentiments. $60 for everything. Psyched about the kraft card stock. It's way too expensive buying it by the sheet at $1 for a 12x12, and I'm obsessed with it! It's become my favorite neutral shade. Goes with everything, even more than white itself! That's my opinion, anyway. So now that I have those, I think the only future purchase will be a yellow ink pad. Don't have any yellows. Hope I can find it in cat's eye size! Now off to play with the cricut until I fall asleep. Was up at 6 am this morning to walk the dogs. Managed a 40 minute brisk walk, and just now am having breakfast. The time in between was spent on my itouch (Facebook, Scrabble and TurtleFly- TOO cute and addictive!) and tidying up. I am happy I am nearing that feeling of completion in terms of stocked stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #920  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

Well, life has put a halt to my craft spending. We're going to be caring for a family member for a while, so we've been getting a room ready for her, so we've been spending money for and concentrating on that. I haven't been able to work on it in a while anyway, and I won't be able to for quite some time. I was getting tired of sinking more money into this hobby anyway; I have bought myself some clothes items recently and things we needed, and that was more satisfying, and didn't feel wasteful. While redoing my craft room to add a bed and other things our family member will need, I moved almost all of my scrapbooking stuff along one wall on shelving units. Unfortunely, I loaded up the heavy plastic one so much, that a couple of the shelves are bowing in the center; plus, it feels too wobbly with all that much stuff on it, so I had to order a metal shelving unit to replace it. But after moving everything, the bed fit in the room fine, so I was happy. I still will enjoy coming to this site though, and reading up on all the techniques and goings-on and seeing the gorgeous cards people have made. When things settle down, I can go back to scrapbooking/cardmaking. It is just on hiatus for now.
Reply With Quote Likes