Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Your most used color stamp pad is going to be black and you are going to need more than just one kind because versafine doesn't work with every kind of paper or coloring medium.

Only buy ink pads of colors you really like and if you're not sure, buy the matching marker to color on your stamp. If you use it enough, then buy the stamp pad.

Don't buy paper slabs. They look like a great bargin but chances are you won't use up all the paper.

Remember that 40% off is still 60% on. In other words, don't use a coupon just for the sake of using the coupon.

If you see a project you want to make, shop your own craft room before buying something new. You just might find something that will work just as well.

Even though you may not have a lot of supplies, organize them now. It's easier when you don't have a lot and it will keep you from buying duplicates.

Make a list of what inks, markers, embosing powder, etc. that you already have so you won't buy duplicates. I have a small inventory book I take shopping and it has saved me oodles of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Weighing In

I am an avid shopper of Thrift stores and Goodwill stores. I happened across a boat load of Stampin up items at a Goodwill. I mean I got a shoe box full of stamps for $6.00! Plus packets of card stock for .99. I googled Stampin up Christmas cards having no idea the gazillion of stampin ladies out there and have spent hours and hours at night looking at ideas. And found this site. Anyways Goodwill has a whole craft section you can find stamps, card stocks, embellishments etc for dirt cheap.
Just my 2 cents to check out your Goodwill
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmomView Post
... can't tell you how many items I own because I saw it used in a SU workshop when I first got started. Hello, Mr. Crimper!
I had a crimper I never used until someone mentioned using a crimper on junk stock and then putting it on top of cards with buttons, bows etc before mailing. Keeps them nice - and flat for mailing. Some people turn their cards inside-out before sending them, but I've gotten a ton of cards where the back was then all bumped and bent. Makes it hard to write a nice note then. Using a piece of crimped cardstock on top keeps it looking nice. BTW - this is the ONLY thing I use my crimper for now. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #44  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimqView Post
I am an avid shopper of Thrift stores and Goodwill stores. I happened across a boat load of Stampin up items at a Goodwill. I mean I got a shoe box full of stamps for $6.00! Plus packets of card stock for .99. I googled Stampin up Christmas cards having no idea the gazillion of stampin ladies out there and have spent hours and hours at night looking at ideas. And found this site. Anyways Goodwill has a whole craft section you can find stamps, card stocks, embellishments etc for dirt cheap.
WOW...what a great find! Enjoy your new goodies! I've read on here that lots of people are finding stamps and supplies at their goodwill stores, but I never did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimqView Post
Whatever! So jealous! ROFL! I am jealous, in a good way. I am so excited for you too. What a great thrift score. I love hearing thrift score tales. My last exciting thrift score was not crafting at all. I know depressing. I did score a beautiful antique Victorian lamp for $7. Came home, Googled and my lamp is worth $300. Score!

Last but not least Big Welcome to the board.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
I had a crimper I never used until someone mentioned using a crimper on junk stock and then putting it on top of cards with buttons, bows etc before mailing. Keeps them nice - and flat for mailing. Using a piece of crimped cardstock on top keeps it looking nice. BTW - this is the ONLY thing I use my crimper for now. LOL
Here are a couple ideas for using that crimper a bit more. Here are a couple of cards I used a crimper on. Thanks Brat Breakfast Butterflies for a textured look and in this one Thinking of Blue where I used my crimper to break down the fibers and pull apart a piece of cs into two thinner pieces
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #47  

Quote:

I had a crimper I never used until someone mentioned using a crimper on junk stock and then putting it on top of cards with buttons, bows etc before mailing. Keeps them nice - and flat for mailing. Some people turn their cards inside-out before sending them, but I've gotten a ton of cards where the back was then all bumped and bent. Makes it hard to write a nice note then. Using a piece of crimped cardstock on top keeps it looking nice. BTW - this is the ONLY thing I use my crimper for now. LOL
I also wanted to add that I love using my crimper for the faux suede technique. I looked and I found a link showing the tecnique- it's really easy, but I have foune that it really only works with SU card stock.

Faux Suede Technique
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I also wanted to add that I love using my crimper for the faux suede technique. I looked and I found a link showing the tecnique- it's really easy, but I have foune that it really only works with SU card stock.

Faux Suede Technique
Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
Here are a couple ideas for using that crimper a bit more. Here are a couple of cards I used a crimper on. Thanks Brat Breakfast Butterflies for a textured look and in this one Thinking of Blue where I used my crimper to break down the fibers and pull apart a piece of cs into two thinner pieces
After this post and the one about creating fax suede using a crimper... I think I'm going to start using my crimper a LOT more. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

That is a great idea! I started using this idea too, and now I keep my crimper handy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #51  

Quote:

Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this.
You're welcome. Glad I was of some help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #52  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you all for sharing your advice! I love the tips about using the computer to make sentiments; tried that and love it! I also liked the tips about making a duplicate image to try out color combos with first, and also have to try the one about alcohol in the aqua painter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

After this post and the one about creating fax suede using a crimper... I think I'm going to start using my crimper a LOT more. Thanks!
Me too, glad I mentioned it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #54  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the idea for faux suede. I also use my crimper on wire for a great crinkly look and crinkle ribbon here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Love the idea for faux suede. I also use my crimper on wire for a great crinkly look and crinkle ribbon here
Pretty card! Love the look of the crinkled ribbon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #56  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for the wonderful tips. My tip is simple. Buy only the paper you will use. I have a room full and will never use it all. Be realistic.
Reply With Quote Likes