Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an upline....

So I finally decide to commit, I'm going to sign up to be a hobby demo! I called my demo of 6 years, who is retiring at the end of this year, and tell her I want to sign on. She says it wouldn't be fair to me (or her upline) for her to be my upline (something about directs??) She gave me her upline's phone number in case I wanted to sign on with her.
Are you following me still??
Here's the deal, her upline (that I don't know) lives 40 miles from me. I'm thinkin' if I am going to sign on with someone I don't know, at least I could choose a closer one. I live in a very large city. Minneapolis,MN and I'm sure there are alot of demo's close by.
I have no ambition other than getting my stuff at a discount, there will be no workshops and I don't want any pressure to do any more than the minimum needed to keep active with Stampin' Up.
If I contact Stampin' Up about getting a demo close to me, do you think I can get more than one name? I have known a few over the last 6 years that are pretty enthusiastic (pushy) and I don't want that. I'd like to meet with a few demo's first and make sure we're on the same page.
For those of you with my type of ambition, how much interaction do you have with your uplines?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't see anything wrong with calling SU or using the demo locator. Honestly, there wouldn't be anything wrong with calling her upline if you don't want pressure anyway. You wouldn't need someone close then.

My downline lives in MO and I am in TX. It hasn't really been an issue. She talks to my upline and does things in our group. But she is more than a hobby demo. I am a hobby demo though, and I don't feel any pressure even though I am in a large group. Congrats on the decision to sign up! It's fun to get stuff early and get a discount!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I agree. Call a few people you find on the SU! website and pick one you like. Even if you are just planning on being a hobby demo, you may have questions that need answering. Besides, you may find a stamping buddy in the process. It's a win win situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

thanks, Emily....

p.s. I'm mom to 3 sons as well 2/71, 12/72, 7/74. Enjoy them every day, they grow up really fast!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Just make sure that whoever you sign with knows that you just want to be a hobby demo. You shouldn't have any pressure then. Good luck.

PS My upline is in PA and I am in LA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Sue -

I would use the demo locator on the public Stampin' Up! site. (www.stampinup.com) It will give you 5 names that are close to you.

I'm in MN too. However, if you're in the Mpls area, you're probably 40 minutes from me too. I have several people in my group who joined for the discount. I include them in all of my email communications and are available anytime they need anything - but generally only check in once a quarter with them (unless they request more often).

I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. Best of Luck!
Dawn Olchefske
Check out my FREE DOstamping Resource Library with hundreds of videos, tutorials, stamping techniques, templates and more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Dawn sounds like a good bet and she's a SCS Yeah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Sue...

What I did was go through the SU demo locator, and selected all in my area that included email addy's. I sent one letter, which included MY wishes of being strictly a hobby demo for me, myself and I. I had no interest or time to do workshops, etc., but that I would be interested in learning any techniques they were willing to teach me.

Outta the five letters I sent, two never responded, one responded by stating she was strictly a hobby demo herself and thanked me for contacting her, and the last two were very interested in becoming my upline. Now, here's where the decision maker came into play!! I had one be very pushy in her email by stating I should really think about having workshops, stamp camps, etc to 'grow' my business and 'earn' free stuff. (Instant turn off for me, since I clearly stated I had no time for that!!...nor, did I want to become anything more then a hobby demo!) The 5th person was my winner!! She told me she understood and had been with SU for 9 years and has several downlines that are stricly hobby demos. She also stated that she meets monthly with her downlines. They make one card and supply the makings of that card for 10 people. We swap cards and everyone has a GREAT time!!

I say, take your time until you feel comfortable with the person who becomes your upline....GOOOOD Luck and let us know what you decide!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snellybelle
thanks, Emily....

p.s. I'm mom to 3 sons as well 2/71, 12/72, 7/74. Enjoy them every day, they grow up really fast!

Sue
Oh how cool! That's the 3rd person today that has 3 boys like me! Oh, I forgot to say this is how I found my upline! I emailed all five demos the locator gave me and then went with the one I clicked with best. Most didn't even email back, how rude!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

very rude indeed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I found my upline right here on SCS (jenn balcer ;)). I 'interviewed' a bunch over the course of 6 months or so (because I knew the one that was my demo at the time couldn't be my upline- too different) and found one that had the same interests I do. Jenn lives an hour away from me but that's no big deal to me. We still chat all the time. I have no regrets. My only advice is find one that has similar interests to you (as far as stamping goes).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
Oh how cool! That's the 3rd person today that has 3 boys like me! Oh, I forgot to say this is how I found my upline! I emailed all five demos the locator gave me and then went with the one I clicked with best. Most didn't even email back, how rude!!!

Not to "Hijack" but make that 4 people today! It's 11:20 my time, still today. I have 3 handsomes (boys) myself. 3/99, 12/00, 11/03.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2005, 03:57 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi,

Just wanted to tell you that I'm in St. Paul (right by the State Fair) and my upline quit less than a year after I started. Her upline is in Forest Lake (almost 40 minutes from me) and has been GREAT! She's constantly reminding us, by email, of all of the important dates, etc., and has us all over to her her house for dinner and make and takes (and a swap) once a month. The 40 minute drive is inconvenient, but my three downlines and I drive over there together, plus the mileage is deductable during tax season:-)

Good luck with whatever you decide! Feel free to PM me if you need any help or have any questions!

Tina

Interested in great music? Visit www.emanonline.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Default Thanks everyone!

You've all been so helpful, I did get 5 names from Stampin' Up but after reading your comments, maybe the upline I choose won't be in my neighborhood after all. Thanks again.
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by iteachstampin
Not to "Hijack" but make that 4 people today! It's 11:20 my time, still today. I have 3 handsomes (boys) myself. 3/99, 12/00, 11/03.
Wow, ours are pretty close together too!! I know JJBrooks has 3 boys as well! So do you get tired of people asking "so when are you gonna try for that girl?" (answer: um....NEVER!!!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Sorry to butt in but after reading the last post I had to add. I have 6 boys 17, 13, 10, 8, 6, 3. and if I had a penny for everytime someone said trying for that girl? We just always wanted six kids and boys are what we got. Plus I don't know anybody in their right mind that would have 6 kids trying for a girl.

Have a great day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6
Plus I don't know anybody in their right mind that would have 6 kids trying for a girl.

Have a great day!!
My cousin did. She wanted a girl so bad, it took 7 tries!! Yep, 6 boys and finally her little girl......LOL

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes